timefactors watches
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Cheap lens recommendations

  1. #1
    Master Omegary's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Oxfordshire
    Posts
    8,519

    Cheap lens recommendations

    Hi all,

    I've recently moved over to Fuji cameras and their X-mount lenses and was looking for an inexpensive and unobtrusive pancake lens. Having read a lot of reviews I finally took the plunge and ordered a Meike 28mm f/2.8 which arrived today. So far I'm very impressed, it's pretty damn sharp in the centre and non too shabby in the corners either. Okay it's a completely manual lens and so no EXIF data is recorded with the image, however, if you're okay with those two little caveats, it's a cracking lens for the money. Did I mention how much this cost? A measly £70!

    Even better, I was messing around with the Meike combined with a JJC macro adapter this afternoon and was very pleasantly surprised. For a very little outgoing you get a good macro lens alternative. Not convinced? Here's a few snaps taken whilst messing around in the kitchen this afternoon. I was interested to see how it performed wide open at f/2.8 and how the adapter influenced the DOF. I couldn't be bothered to get a tripod out so these are all hand held using focus assist.

    Forgive the arty abstract stuff, just messing around.



















    For less than £100 for the lens and adapters (there's a 11mm and 16mm) I was pleasantly surprised how well a few quick snaps came out.

    If anyone else has some cheap lens recommendations please feel free to contribute.

    Thanks for reading,

    Gary

  2. #2
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Plymouth Devon
    Posts
    208
    A bit pricier but I recently picked up a Samyang 12mm f2.0 for £209 brand new.

    Once again manual focus only but thatís not a problem with a lens this wide and especially with Fujiís brilliant focus assist modes

    So far very impressed.

  3. #3
    Master AAddict's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Barrow, UK
    Posts
    1,205
    I'd happily recommend the Zeiss Flektogon 35mm f/2.4.

    You can get one for £80-£180 depending on your luck and condition. Such a good allrounder with nice close minimum focusing distance for macro style shots, lovely colours, very sharp and built to a very high standard.

  4. #4
    Master Omegary's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Oxfordshire
    Posts
    8,519
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalMass View Post
    A bit pricier but I recently picked up a Samyang 12mm f2.0 for £209 brand new.

    Once again manual focus only but thatís not a problem with a lens this wide and especially with Fujiís brilliant focus assist modes

    So far very impressed.
    Got one of these myself a week or so back and the fit and finish seem very good. Unfortunately I haven't really had the time to give it a thorough testing yet, maybe this weekend if all goes well.

    Lots of very good reviews on youtube etc and it's supposed to be excellent for starscape photography.

    Cheers,
    Gary

  5. #5
    Master Omegary's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Oxfordshire
    Posts
    8,519
    Quote Originally Posted by AAddict View Post
    I'd happily recommend the Zeiss Flektogon 35mm f/2.4.

    You can get one for £80-£180 depending on your luck and condition. Such a good allrounder with nice close minimum focusing distance for macro style shots, lovely colours, very sharp and built to a very high standard.
    Thanks for the recommendation

    There's a lot of vintage, fast M42 fit lenses out there. So a cheap adapter opens up a lot of options, for not a lot of money.

    Slightly more on the expensive side but I'm picking up a used Fujinon 35mm f/1.4 tomorrow. People seem to be selling them to get the faster focussing and slightly smaller 35mm f/2.0 for some reason. Can't wait to try it out

    Cheers,
    Gary

  6. #6
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    leics uk
    Posts
    482
    A few years ago I converted a 35mm Zeiss from M42 to F mount. Itís still on of my favourite lenses.
    Thereís a thread about it here: http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/thr...-F-mount-Nikon

    Dave

  7. #7
    Master AAddict's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Barrow, UK
    Posts
    1,205
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave S View Post
    A few years ago I converted a 35mm Zeiss from M42 to F mount. Itís still on of my favourite lenses.
    Thereís a thread about it here: http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/thr...-F-mount-Nikon

    Dave
    Yes, same lens I was talking about above, it's a stunner isn't it.

  8. #8
    Master robcuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Canary Wharf
    Posts
    2,211
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegary View Post
    Thanks for the recommendation

    There's a lot of vintage, fast M42 fit lenses out there. So a cheap adapter opens up a lot of options, for not a lot of money.

    Slightly more on the expensive side but I'm picking up a used Fujinon 35mm f/1.4 tomorrow. People seem to be selling them to get the faster focussing and slightly smaller 35mm f/2.0 for some reason. Can't wait to try it out

    Cheers,
    Gary
    35mm f1.4 is the best X lens Iíve had so far, a bit slower than the f2, and not waterproof, but neither am I (both)!

  9. #9
    The Samyang 12mm f2 is a really good lens and great value for money. Wide angle lenses are also great if you zone focus with a relatively high shutter speed and small aperture that allow you to get a good level of sharpness of everything from a few feet away to infinity, especially good for street photography with people moving. There are hyperfocal calculator apps and websites that tell you what settings you need to use and how much will be in focus.

    The 35 f1.4 is a lovely lens that is bitingly sharp from f4 onwards and I would much rather have this than the newer f2 version.

    Quote Originally Posted by Omegary View Post
    Thanks for the recommendation

    There's a lot of vintage, fast M42 fit lenses out there. So a cheap adapter opens up a lot of options, for not a lot of money.

    Slightly more on the expensive side but I'm picking up a used Fujinon 35mm f/1.4 tomorrow. People seem to be selling them to get the faster focussing and slightly smaller 35mm f/2.0 for some reason. Can't wait to try it out

    Cheers,
    Gary

  10. #10
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Plymouth Devon
    Posts
    208
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane View Post

    The 35 f1.4 is a lovely lens that is bitingly sharp from f4 onwards and I would much rather have this than the newer f2 version.
    You might be right but the f2 is still very good. Itís also a LOT smaller, and many people (like me) moved to Fuji X from Nikon / Canon for reasons of size / weight.
    For me the the XT20 with the 35mm f2 is the perfect walk around/ travel combination.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •