closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: anyone else think prices today are in insane?

Only 5 years a ago red subs were 6/7k and double Red SD were 17k now Sub 15k and DRSD 30/35k about 8 years ago LV’s cost 3k now around 10k ish

Quote Originally Posted by bazza. View Post
    Only 5 years a ago red subs were 6/7k and double Red SD were 17k now Sub 15k and DRSD 30/35k about 8 years ago LV’s cost 3k now around 10k ish
    Ed White’s £3kish, 70s & pre moons £1-2kish only a few years ago. I virtually gave away my vgc pre Comex dial 77/78 5513 here for £3250, no takers here at the asking of......3500!

Will the bubble burst.........

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bongo View Post
    Ed White’s £3kish, 70s & pre moons £1-2kish only a few years ago. I virtually gave away my vgc pre Comex dial 77/78 5513 here for £3250, no takers here at the asking of......3500!

Will the bubble burst.........
    What's the typical pre Comex price now?

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by WhopperSenior View Post
    I think demand must have gone up too in recent years. In the world of military watches certain pieces have jumped up suddenly and then held at the new price (see Lemania Nuke Subs). That can only be attributed to demand because the watches haven't changed.

I think we're seeing the same in the new watches such as Rolex as, although I think there is a supply issue, there are definitely more people falling over each other to buy. While everyone is trying to get something, the sellers are going to make as much money from it as possible. It wasn't long ago you would get a discount on a Rolex from a dealer and now if you asked they would laugh at you.
    Just waiting for another global financial crisis, and see who is laughing who.

Master
    I started collecting about 8 years ago. Key watches I've owned and kept an eye on prices:

1) Seiko Black Monster. Bought for £90 in 2013, now worth £180?
    2) Rolex 16570. I've had two, both bought for £2500 a few years ago, and sold for a similar price. Value now, maybe £3500?
    3) Standard Moon Watch (not the new big box job). A few years ago, I picked up a sapphire sandwich for £1650, and later on a standard watch for a similar amount. Now worth £2k+?
    4) Speedmaster 3510.50 'reduced'. Used to get them for £900 or so. Now try getting change from £1500.

One theme seems to be that they are iconic and discontinued?

Just my observations. I wish I'd hung onto my Rolex, but also happy that I now have a Speedy reduced...

A little off topic................I bought this for £10,500 sold it for £50,000 and now £300,000 plus!

What a beaut.
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Norman View Post
    A little off topic................I bought this for £10,500 sold it for £50,000 and now £300,000 plus!
    Drool. What were the rough dates of each sale?

Quote Originally Posted by stefmcd View Post
    Drool. What were the rough dates of each sale?
    I bought the Dino mid 1980s - It was Princess Diana's stepfather's car with full service history and approx 28,000 miles. Sold it for £50,000 in mid 1990s with approx 29,000 miles!

I was so wrapped up in work during this period that I never had the time to use it. One of my biggest regrets is not being able to enjoy it when I had it.

At one time during my ownership they reached £180,000 until the early 1990s crash.

Current prices now £300,000 plus.

Master
    I bought the Dino mid 1980s - It was Princess Diana's stepfather's car with full service history and approx 28,000 miles. Sold it for £50,000 in mid 1990s with approx 29,000 miles!

I was so wrapped up in work during this period that I never had the time to use it. One of my biggest regrets is not being able to enjoy it when I had it.

At one time during my ownership they reached £180,000 until the early 1990s crash.

Current prices now £300,000 plus.
    Quite amazing, ta.

respect

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Can anybody explain this to me ?

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.f View Post
    What, life the universe and everything?

Once upon a time............

Agree OP, the prices of watches have risen exorbitantly, although it is true certain other goods have also increased due to uncertainty in stocks (look at the price of an air cooled Porsche). Contrary to other posts the increase has nothing to do with currency exchange rates.

Same with new prestige cars, a middling Jag XJ for example which was 48 grand 12 years ago is now double that and for an 8 year old model. I think the reason being most of these things watches, cars, houses, holidays etc etc are bought on finance, so the purchase price becomes irrelevant. I was in my local Beemer garage the other day looking a a 96 grand 3 series...case rested. The classic market has gone even more bonkers.

Prices have certainly risen in recent years, however for the average man or woman i do not think they seem bad value.

The average UK salary is around £30k, if you were to spend £3k on a watch today which would get you something decent even in today's market, keep it 20 years then it works out at £150 pa which represents good value for money.

When you consider no one really thinks anything of purchasing a new phone every couple of years at a cost of £500 on average watches in comparison seem reasonable.
    Last edited by boring_sandwich; 14th July 2018 at 20:19.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.f View Post
    Easy.

Lots of cheap money sloshing around and finding assets to net-off against.

Tide is/has been rising for shares, classic cars, fine Swiss watches...anything seen as a sure bet.

Got it on a Aston DB4 in 2010, got-off in early 2017, tripled my money thank you. Problem I see with SS Rolex’s is with so many, I can see a downturn dumping plenty on the market. Ah well. Keep a lookout for bargains me thinks