closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Tour de France 2018

Will Froome be domestique to G if he doesn’t close the time gap? I hope so, otherwise I fear it’s G’s best chance at a GC gone

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by GregR View Post
    Will Froome be domestique to G if he doesn’t close the time gap? I hope so, otherwise I fear it’s G’s best chance at a GC gone
    I’m pretty sure Froome will close that gap as the race progresses

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grand Master
    Lets get this into the mountains and see what Froome has, remember this is a man who used to train in SA uphill with his brakes on for extra resistance.
    RIAC

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Huertecilla View Post
    Rather a team manager goof up.
    ´Stupid´ covers it.
    Those who know say the penalty was small beer compared to not drafting and losing more time

Quote Originally Posted by GregR View Post
    Not a hope. As long as Froome is in the race with a chance of winning, G will ride for him and the team.
    If Froome were to have a race-ending injury, Sky would either line up behind whoever they thought had the best chance of winning yellow from that point (whether that was G or Bernal) or would target stage wins.

Anyone need 3 seconds...?

Gutted for Porte but this is looking like it's going to be a tasty day's racing.

Interesting approach to Sky's approach to the day: https://bit.ly/2LgZgTr
    It's not surprising really and I'm sure other teams will have done similar.

TomDom does like the back of the Mini!
    Last edited by MakeColdplayHistory; 15th July 2018 at 12:15.

Blog Entries
    Cranking up the TV for the Flemish comments from Michel Wuyts and José de Cauwer! Mini Paris - Roubaix. I hope this day's stage will reshuffle the ranking!

M

Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    Cranking up the TV for the Flemish comments from Michel Wuyts and José de Cauwer! Mini Paris - Roubaix. I hope this day's stage will reshuffle the ranking!

M
    It's having a good go (lots of crashes) at mixing things up...and there's still 50 km and lots of cobbles to the finish.

Blog Entries
    It’s havoc! The must be so tired - dropping & tumbling even on dry, smooth tarmac!
    De Cauwer, a one-time Flandrien explains the sudden ‘chutes’: today, the cyclists ride bikes with lowered pressure in the tyres and the bikes have extemely wide tyres: 28 or even 30 MM. On dry tarmac and when cornering, the bike behaves ‘weird’

I don't envy anyone trying to edit that down to a highlights programme.
    Good to see Degenkolb win.
    Utterly miserable day for Bardet - it's nearly (but not quite) enough to see me supporting France in the footy later.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MakeColdplayHistory View Post
    I don't envy anyone trying to edit that down to a highlights programme.
    Good to see Degenkolb win.
    Utterly miserable day for Bardet - it's nearly (but not quite) enough to see me supporting France in the footy later.
    Small wonder Degenkolb was so emotional:
    - After the crash (with the Giant team training in Valencia and crashed into by UK woman driving on the left side of the road) he was expected not to return to his full forces.
    - His mentor friend who kept him motivated died this winter.

And yes, whát an etappe!!
    Chapeau to Avermeat for taking the risk to attack in the yellow.

Very sad for Porte.

I just watched the ITV4 highlights this morning. What a dramatic stage!

It’s always a shame to see the crashes. They make me shudder!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt London View Post

It’s always a shame to see the crashes. They make me shudder!
    Nursing some cracked ribs from one fall and a fractured coccyx from another I am always totally awed about what those guys not just appear to shake off but subsequently continue to dó!

Craftsman
    They are superhuman in their ability to cope with pain and discomfort. Look at Lawson Craddock!

And it's always worth looking at the Cycling Tips gallery of the day but yesterday was a particularly good one: https://cyclingtips.com/2018/07/phot...bbled-stage-9/

And it's always worth looking at the Cycling Tips gallery of the day but yesterday was a particularly good one: https://cyclingtips.com/2018/07/phot...bbled-stage-9/

Some great shots in there! Ta for the link.
    F.T.F.A.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelicans View Post
    They are superhuman in their ability to cope with pain and discomfort. Look at Lawson Craddock!
    Nursing a fractured Scapula. That must have stung a bit on those cobbles

Master
    Blog Entries
    Superb photos

Blog Entries
    Epic pictures! Remind me of the old B/W pics of Coppi, Robic, Goblet and Merckx. Heroic men battered by dust, heat and chaos.

Master
    I confess to knowing nothing about cycling, hence the need to ask this question. Having just looked at those photos linked above I am surprised at the surface they are riding on. Do they ride on this surface every year?

Craftsman
    Absolutely brilliant photo.
    Talk about right place, right time.
    Have a suspicion not all luck as well, From the quality of the photo and the point the incident occurred. Some skill and thoughtful planning involved surely?

Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    I confess to knowing nothing about cycling, hence the need to ask this question. Having just looked at those photos linked above I am surprised at the surface they are riding on. Do they ride on this surface every year?
    They are typical of the region and used every year in one day 'classics'. Most (of not all) of the sections of cobbles/pavé in yesterday's stage feature in the annual Paris-Roubaix race. The Tour de France route is different every year and definitely doesn't feature cobbles every year but it does from time-to-time.

There is some debate about whether this kind of racing has a place in the TdF. Some people feel it introduces too much random risk. My own view is that the TdF should be an all round challenge and this kind of riding definitely has its place. It was great viewing from start to finish yesterday. I wouldn't want a pavé stage every year though.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    Not usually on the Tour de France, 1 stage only every 4 years or so, but there are many single day 'Classic' races that do, Paris-Roubaix had 29 cobbled sections this year (54kms), as does the Ronde Van Vlandren (Tour of Flanders), they do ride on tarmac as well!

Interesting stage today, particularly as I know the area so well (in winter). Superb win for Alaphilippe and a good ride from van Avermaet to stay in yellow. A show of strength from Sky but it seems like a bit of a waiting game. Someone has to do something.

Always good to see someone drop a road gap though...

https://www.facebook.com/Mpora/video...5459562007854/

Craftsman
    Interesting stage today, particularly as I know the area so well (in winter). Superb win for Alaphilippe and a good ride from van Avermaet to stay in yellow. A show of strength from Sky but it seems like a bit of a waiting game. Someone has to do something.

Always good to see someone drop a road gap though...

https://www.facebook.com/Mpora/video...5459562007854/
    Agreed - today's stage could have a bit more about it as it is much shorter and a mountain top finish so would expect some attacks. Dan Martin might fancy another go. I think it will all depend on how quickly Sky push the tempo in the peloton. I hope G can stay with any attackers and keep his lead. Even if he doesn't fully maintain it he should be in yellow by this evening.

I’ll be watching today’s stage live. Highlights don’t do these mountain stages justice.
    Last edited by Phil Lee; 18th July 2018 at 10:58.

Blog Entries
    Again, it’s a pity you’re not able to follow Flemish TV. Starts at 1pm and goes on until late in the evening. The comments and knowledge are fantastic. Most commentators have done these stages as recce or as ‘coureur’ themselves, including a commentator on a motorbike. Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    Again, it’s a pity you’re not able to follow Flemish TV. Starts at 1pm and goes on until late in the evening. The comments and knowledge are fantastic. Most commentators have done these stages as recce or as ‘coureur’ themselves, including a commentator on a motorbike. Awesome
    The start-to-finish coverage on Eurosport and ITV4 is pretty good (it depends which pundits you prefer)
    The problem is that work gets in the way even when I'm working from home.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Lee View Post
    I’ll be watching today’s stage live. Highlights don’t do these mountain stages justice.
    Some stages just don’t translate well to highlights, Froome taking the lead in the Giro was a good example, it’s like watching a good crime drama plot unfold, it’s no good being shown the killing then who did it.

Been out for a cheeky lunchtime 40 miles and now sat in front of the telly.

What a superb ride by G.

That was sublime, a true work over by Sky while the nearly men watch their hopes fade by not working together, got to feel for Nieve but what a ride by Geraint.
    Kwiatkowski looked absolutely cooked, he deserves an extra dish of pasta tonight.

Great to hear that G is now in yellow. Looking forward to the highlights this evening. There will now be a very interesting dynamic within Team Sky.

I think sky will already know ‘the numbers’* so it will probably be Froome who ultimately takes the prize. In any other team they leave (like Nieve and Porte) to try their luck elsewhere but they must be paying them handsomely to be super-domestiques. Kwiatkowski is probably a GT contender too and may be the next leader before Tao matures.
    As much as I would love to see Thomas win he may be a few % short.

* my old flatmate is ex British cycling and now works at the Lee valley velodrome (it’s not the Olympic velodrome any more) and basically the ‘numbers’ are Watts and Vo2max which tell a coach if they are just a contender or a winner.

I was watching this live up until about 330 then had to leave (Bloomin work!) It was a good watch up until then.

I got home and watched the ITV4 Highlights. G’s ride was amazing! Gotta love that and the chess game of the road overall! 😎

Craftsman
    Awesome ride by G. Need to make a decision to as to whether to cash out my bet... £15 at 9/1 currently offering £18.75 profit to cash out. Hmmm

I think Froome will attack him and will want to win Alpe d’Huez tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicans View Post
    Awesome ride by G. Need to make a decision to as to whether to cash out my bet... £15 at 9/1 currently offering £18.75 profit to cash out. Hmmm

I think Froome will attack him and will want to win Alpe d’Huez tomorrow.

I doubt Froome will actually attack him- letting G keep the yellow jersey, ideally until the Pyrenees, might be a good plan for Sky, lower the stress levels a little... but I also fully expect Thomas to have a bad day at some point and if that's on the wrong day he could lose a shedload of time.

I rode most of today's stage a couple of years back... the Madeleine is a lovely climb but the second one, the Lacets de Montvernier although quite a bit shorter was a really b1tch! It's like a mini-Alpe d'Huez, switchback after switchback coming thick and fast. Very pretty. I remember dying a thousand deaths coming up that one.

Master
    Great ride by Thomas yesterday, but Froome did well to get himself across to Dumoulin st the end there.

Listening to Thomas after the race, he was firmly back in the mode of supportive team mate to Froome so unless something happens to Froome I can’t see Sky putting everything behind Geraint.

Sad to see Cavendish timed out of the race yesterday too, it will be strange not seeing him competing for the sprints anymore, not that he has looked threatening for a while now.

Hopefully another classic today!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Well, that´s the tour done basically.

On the subject of TV coverage, While I'd love to spend all day every day watching the Tour, I ended up yesterday listening to the Bespoked live cast while walking home from work starting about 15km out. When I got home I switched the TV on and caught the last 5km and I'll watch the highlight programme this morning. I'm working from home today so I'll start watching from the start anmd have it on in the background as I'm working. Every time I have to dial in to a meeting I'll pause then restart. Even zipping over the adverts I reckon I'll be watching the finish 'as live' about an hour and a half after the actual finish.

Quote Originally Posted by Meesterbond View Post
    I doubt Froome will actually attack him- letting G keep the yellow jersey, ideally until the Pyrenees, might be a good plan for Sky, lower the stress levels a little... but I also fully expect Thomas to have a bad day at some point and if that's on the wrong day he could lose a shedload of time.
    It's a great position for Sky to have the two of them at the top of GC and the team certainly have the firepower to support them both. I'm also expecting G to have a bad day - I just wonder when Sky have it planned in for.

Quote Originally Posted by Meesterbond View Post
    I rode most of today's stage a couple of years back... the Madeleine is a lovely climb but the second one, the Lacets de Montvernier although quite a bit shorter was a really b1tch! It's like a mini-Alpe d'Huez, switchback after switchback coming thick and fast. Very pretty. I remember dying a thousand deaths coming up that one.
    I've skied in Alpe d'Huez a few times but only been there once in the summer. That was for Megavalanche week so I was on a very different type of bike. We were in a chalet just below town and roadies were already coming past us when we were finishing breakfast and getting the bikes ready for the day. They were still coming past when we were sat outside with a beer at the end of the day.

I'll be watching it live today and thinking of how numb my b******s were when I rode up d'Huez a while ago!
    F.T.F.A.

Team Sky caught breaking the rules again...

Team Sky caught breaking the rules again...
    What have they done?

Master
    Dutch Corner is going to be even more nutty than usual today.

What have they done?
    Gave a bike to a non-Sky rider to help him out. A nice way to break the rules.

Quote Originally Posted by benny.c View Post
    Dutch Corner is going to be even more nutty than usual today.

Gave a bike to a non-Sky rider to help him out. A nice way to break the rules.
    Twitter link

Blog Entries
    That was hell of a shift by Bernal

Another superb finish. What a great ride by G again.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Another superb finish. What a great ride by G again.
    Brilliant move with that last corner with Dumoulin totally caught out.

Impressive interview too, realistic.

The booing of the Sky team is a sad reflection of what many justifiably feel and the ríders so NÓT deserve.

Master
    What a great stage today. Dumoulin looked really strong, Bardet making some great attacks and Kruijswijk staying out front for all that time. Great move by Thomas on that last corner.