closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: If you had to consolidate...

If you had to consolidate...

If you had to sell all of your watches and spend all of the money on a single watch, what would you get... and why haven’t you done it?

if i wanted just one watch, i would have just one watch.
    \
    however, i don't want just one watch, so i don't have just one watch.
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Nope, although a speedy pro isn’t the most valuable/advanced/desired watch out there, it has always been my absolute favourite watch in the world and for that reason I would never sell it to buy another watch.

I have also always been a huge fan of the basic submariner but the current situation with Rolex sports watches has put me off them for life.

Master
    I have done this several times.

I ALWAYS end up buying more watches.

Dave

I’ve reduced numbers from circa 40 down to currently 21. At some point I wear them all. I could possibly reduce further but think enjoyment would be reduced as I enjoy the variety.

I’d never put that much money into one watch.

Having a a number of watches, I own most of my all time favourite watches.

I really don’t know why I haven’t either consolidated, or just sold, the vast majority of the others I’ve tried.
    It's just a matter of time...

Quote Originally Posted by seikopath View Post
    if i wanted just one watch, i would have just one watch.
    \
    however, i don't want just one watch, so i don't have just one watch.
    Yeah but if you had to. Like if someone was holding a gun to your head and saying something like "buy one watch only or I shall shoot you" then you might feel it best to have just one watch. These things happen.

Anyway, getting the stupid questions out of the way, for me it'd be a JLC Reverso-style watch with a solar/radio G Shock on one side and a Rolex Explorer with a Bulova Precisionist movement on the other side.

I quite fancy a Great White SD. It must be said I wear my 321 Speedy more than anything else but I would just sell the rest and keep that. And yes, maybe I should! Except I'm a magpie and can't.
    "A man of little significance"

I am in process to sell Seamaster GMT and Speedmaster to get Rolex Explorer II. But I am not sure that I won't buy another watch in near future.

Consolidated and have one watch? What is this magical notion you speak of? What wizardry is this to par down a collection to one watch?

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Blog Entries
    One???? Utter madness. If I was in that situation probably a g-shock of some sort - as some of you know it would have to be a very special edition to warrant the resale value of my current set.

Master
    It depends what is meant by 'consolidate.' I'm finally down to three watches, but I might change any of them....as long as one leaves as one arrives. Three is the limit.
    I've failed at this before, but might succeed this time because I don't like owning a lot of watches.

My first thought was an A Lange & Sohne Saxonia Thin, but it might be impractical as a 'one watch', so it'll have to be a second-hand current Vacheron Constantin Overseas 4500V - well-finished, impeccable pedigree and with a gorgeous movement, yet stainless steel, anti-magnetic & 150m water resistant. Basically, a versatile blend of understated dressy finesse & sports watch.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Im currently mulling this very thing over.
    If I consolidated (with the exception of my LVC), I could get the AP ROO summer edition which is without a doubt my favourite watch.

Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    If I consolidated (with the exception of my LVC), I could get the AP ROO summer edition which is without a doubt my favourite watch.
    Does sellers remorse not concern you or boredom ? You have some wonderful pieces from what I’ve seen.

I think categories mean one watch would be almost impossible (for WIS sufferers at least) a dressy watch and a beater as a minimum. Don’t think one is practical

I think I’d have to consolidate down to my Seadweller although I would really struggle to get to one. Partly because I have sentimental attachment to two others and I would also always need a holiday / beater watch.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Stringer View Post
    My first thought was an A Lange & Sohne Saxonia Thin, but it might be impractical as a 'one watch', so it'll have to be a second-hand current Vacheron Constantin Overseas 4500V - well-finished, impeccable pedigree and with a gorgeous movement, yet stainless steel, anti-magnetic & 150m water resistant. Basically, a versatile blend of understated dressy finesse & sports watch.
    Oooof! Great choice

Master
    Three watches should be enough. One for everyday wear, one dress watch, and a sports watch. So thay would be a 233, a 5712R and a 382.

But still don't ever see me doing it.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post
    Does sellers remorse not concern you or boredom ? You have some wonderful pieces from what I’ve seen.
    Thats always the thing isnt it, I don't know!
    I often work on the "only got one wrist" principle when justifying but at the same time enjoy switching about.

Master
    Have to agree I like that one as well but an utter and complete scratch magnet so could never buy one (assuming I had the funds).

Life is far too short to limit yourself of something you enjoy, if you can afford to own all the watches you want then why not..

I have sold 3 recently and replaced them with one, I still own around 10 and they give me great enjoyment, no matter what watch it was one would simply not be enough to satisfy my watch interest..

Master
    Oh to be a spider......
    Thats always the thing isnt it, I don't know!
    I often work on the "only got one wrist" principle when justifying but at the same time enjoy switching about.
    Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    I recently considered doing this very thing; Rolex 14060, 16700 and a 16520 for a Patek 5146g . I just couldn’t bring myself to do it.

Simple: there isn't a single watch out there I want enough to convince me to part with what I already have.

Because for how I wear watches, I've found that anything fancier than Rolex is an impractical waste of money.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by cnjm1 View Post
    I recently considered doing this very thing; Rolex 14060, 16700 and a 16520 for a Patek 5146g . I just couldn’t bring myself to do it.
    Good to hear — I think that would have been a huge mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post
    I think categories mean one watch would be almost impossible (for WIS sufferers at least) a dressy watch and a beater as a minimum. Don’t think one is practical
    Okay you’re allowed £100 for your beater

Master
    Impossible!

I'm out

Quote Originally Posted by The_Perfect_Sandwich View Post
    Thats how it starts. Before you know it you have a daily rotation of four, six keepers in the box, two holiday watches and a draw full of g shock

Master
    I get bored after a few days, so while I would consolidate a few pieces (and have done), I always need to keep a couple of other nice pieces to go to

Master
    OK, I'll play.

I have two of my grails - a titanium Fortis B-42 Cosmonaut LE with the Lemania 5100, and the Rolex GMT II 16710 - and they have both gone up in value quite a bit since I got them - but so have my other grails - in particular, the Speedy Grail 376.0822, the Rolex SD 1665. However, I think I could probably manage one or the other from the proceeds of selling my 4-watch collection.

Why haven't I? Well, I've thought about it a few times, once looking at trading the Fortis and a Speedy Pro for a Speedy Grail; and once a swap plus a small account of cash of the GMT II for a recased luminova service dial 1665.

In both cases, I decided against it. The Speedy Grail is a beautiful watch, and the Lemania 5100 would be my preferred chrono movement, but it's not quite as beautiful as the Speedy Pro, nor as rugged and practical as the Fortis, which has a bezel and 200m WR and is less vulnerable on a boat, say. And, whilst I love the SD 1665, it's not as practical to wear for swimming laps - with the risk of banging it on something - as a much less valuable SMP Quartz, nor as good for travel as the 16710 GMT.

So, with a gun to my head, practical considerations of survival must win out. I could probably find a cheap Seiko diver as the £100 beater, so I'll take the Speedy Grail and get the hands and dial relume in SL. But I'd still miss the others.

If I had to, it would be to create a custom watch.
    So it would be to accomplish everything I could ask for in a watch. Chrono, GMT, WR, Lume, and a good-looking design.
    It would use the movement from the Eberhard Diascope, the Lemania 5195. It would be in a case that looks remarkably like the Lemania SwAF, with dial to match, but 200m wr, and with luminova. I would not utlilise the 12 hr sub-dial, so it is kept uni-compax design. The bezel would be unidirectional, 120 click, and the crystal double-domed sapphire.
    And I would keep the change

Dave

At £100 it would only be g shock

Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    If I had to, it would be to create a custom watch.
    So it would be to accomplish everything I could ask for in a watch. Chrono, GMT, WR, Lume, and a good-looking design.
    It would use the movement from the Eberhard Diascope, the Lemania 5195. It would be in a case that looks remarkably like the Lemania SwAF, with dial to match, but 200m wr, and with luminova. I would not utlilise the 12 hr sub-dial, so it is kept uni-compax design. The bezel would be unidirectional, 120 click, and the crystal double-domed sapphire.
    And I would keep the change

Dave
    Does it come on a nato?

Master
    I have managed to get down to one watch.

After trying many watches and brands, I figured what I liked and appreciated so once I came across a watch that met all the requirements, my journey was over.

I have since bought a beater for occasions when I'm worried I'll scratch/damage the watch, but 99% of the time it's my Grand Seiko.

Sent from my BLA-L29 using Tapatalk

If I consolidated my entire collection I might just about have enough to buy one of them back

What is this one watch of what you speak. Come, it is time to keep your appointment with the Wicker Man.
    Only joking, if I had to chop the lot in and spend it all on one watch, Royal Oak 41mm.
    J

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

Master
    It’s an interesting thought experiment, but consolidating down to one doesn’t land me anywhere especially tempting. At one point I might have been able to trade everything in for a Vacheron Constantin 222, but they’ve since moved far out of reach. Perhaps I should have when it was possible, and I’d now have an interesting signature watch. Generally though I’ve come to think that a comfortable watch is one you can comfortably afford - you don’t need to worry too much about it and won’t look like an idiot wearing it. As a collector, putting all your eggs in one basket could take you out of that comfort zone.

You also have to remember that since this is a watch forum, people will generally think that variety is the slice of life, and that half the fun of watches is trying new ones. It’s been discussed many times before, but consolidating down to two or three would be a more plausible proposition for most, for instance dress watch, sports watch, interesting beater / grab and go quartz. It’s something I’d consider once I get bored of all the service charges.
    Last edited by Itsguy; 8th July 2018 at 12:51.

Couldn’t do it, most of my watches are vintage and I’ve made the mistake of selling some classic ones in the past, if I sold more I would be looking at them still on the forum wistfully in 20’years time and kicking myself more. The only way to do it is walking away from the game entirely, not sure I’m at that stage yet.
    Cheers..
    Jase

If you had to sell all of your watches and spend all of the money on a single watch, what would you get... and why haven’t you done it?
    To answer the question more accurately, if I had to sell all my watches, it wouldn’t be to to buy another watch.

I inadvertently showed the wife my spreadsheet of watches and she was shocked at the total, I made the mistake of saying when the mortgage gets down to that figure I’ll sell them to pay it off early- I think I lied.
    Last edited by JasonM; 7th July 2018 at 07:51.

Master
    I could easy wear my SD 126600 for the rest of my life. Work, play, gym, biking, hols...

Craftsman
    I'd go with the IWC 3714 - I think it dresses up or down really well.
    I think it will be a 30th present to myself next year... wouldn't be my only watch but it would consolidate 2 or 3 that I've got.