closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Money card for 17 year old going to Oz and NZ

Craftsman

Money card for 17 year old going to Oz and NZ

Need the help of the forum again please - my eldest is going on rugby tour in a week (yes I know I've left it late, this was one of the few jobs I mistakingly left to SWMBO....) to Hong Kong (for a night) and then Oz and New Zealand. The school have recommended a certain amount of spending money and suggest we pre-load a card which allows us to to up if necessary.

We have looked into both the app based Revolt (or similar), the Post Office card and Thomas Cook but they all say you need to be a minimum of 18..... and he is not.....

Any recent good experience in this field?

Many thanks in advance

T

Why can't you get a revolut card in your name and just give it to him?
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by seikopath View Post
    Thats what I thought, my wife suggests otherwise (without much substance....) and I am struggling to check as I am away at the moment, have you done this (as it sounds sensible)?

I use revolut. It's just the same as any bank card. There's nothing to stop you giving your bank card and pin to anyone else. The app could be tied to your phone, you would have control and could top it up if and when needed. The only downside i see is that if he loses the card, he wouldn't be able to cancel the card straight away, he would have to contact you first.

Craftsman
    I use revolut. It's just the same as any bank card. There's nothing to stop you giving your bank card and pin to anyone else. The app could be tied to your phone, you would have control and could top it up if and when needed. The only downside i see is that if he loses the card, he wouldn't be able to cancel the card straight away, he would have to contact you first.
    Many thanks, he (or the school) could easily get in touch with me, his phone works over there and everything.

Where would I be without this forum :)

Master
    Caxton or FairFX both do cards which allow you to withdraw in local currency. You would charge it up using your debit card & he can take out cash if he has the PIN. I always carry both in case one is rejected. I'm sure it would have to be you who applied though.

Craftsman
    Have a look at FairFX. Rates not quite as good as Revolut (they charge a 1.4% premium on the Mastercard spot rate) but it's still very competitive and crucially for you, available to those aged 13+

https://www.fairfx.com/familyandfriends

Craftsman
    Be wary of this... I don't know how widespread chip and pin is in Oz and NZ, but he may be asked by ID if signing for purchases as sometimes happens in the US.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicans View Post
    Be wary of this... I don't know how widespread chip and pin is in Oz and NZ, but he may be asked by ID if signing for purchases as sometimes happens in the US.
    Remind me again what century it is in oz and nz?

Craftsman
    Remind me again what century it is in oz and nz?
    Well I haven't been for 10 years, but I'm sure in places card payments were signature only when I was there.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicans View Post
    Well I haven't been for 10 years, but I'm sure in places card payments were signature only when I was there.
    I experienced the complete opposite when I lived in Sydney in 2001. It caught me out, as I did not have my PIN codes available.

In the UK and US at the time, all of my cards were still signature based spending, but everywhere in Aus was chip and pin (in main towns and cities anyway).

Something to do with ironing out any 'chip and pin glitches' within a smaller community before opening up the wider world audience I was told. (Not sure how true that was though!)

Friend of mine did something similar for his son and swears by Revolut. He got one for himself now and uses it whilst away a lot.

Craftsman
    I haven't signed cards in years. Most retail outlets accept debit cards on 'Tap & Go' basis which has a A$100.00 limit, or PIN. I recommend he use PIN as there is a risk of hidden fees in contact-less card payments.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-04-2...-costs/9691550

Terry
    Perth
    Western Australia

Craftsman
    Many thanks everyone, Revolut card ordered.