closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: My first vintage watch purchase didn't go so well.

Apprentice

My first vintage watch purchase didn't go so well.

Was a bit worse for wear after the football last night and bid on a Seiko Scuba-Pro 450 Automatic*6309-7040* on ebay, which i then won. Only in the sober light of day i find out there is no such thing.

Note to self:

1) Don't be a bit worse for wear and bid on ebay
    2) Do research first

Not too fussed it wasn't a huge amount of money but really must be more careful.

What an idiot I am!!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by imurray; 5th July 2018 at 07:49. Reason: Shouldn't have swore in the post

Quote Originally Posted by imurray View Post
    Note to self:

1) Don't bid ........Drunk
    2) Do research first
    3) Don't swear on an open forum as it will lead to a ban!
    Last edited by murkeywaters; 4th July 2018 at 21:14.

Apprentice
    Ooops sorry. Changed the post, can't seem to change heading. Won't happen again

Note to anyone. Quoting profanity will also lead to a ban.
    F.T.F.A.

Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    Note to anyone. Quoting profanity will also lead to a ban.

Doh.... Self moderation at its best!

You're posh?

Have you thought about buying one of these?

http://nobcontrol.com/

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Velorum View Post
    Have you thought about buying one of these?

http://nobcontrol.com/
    Out of stock unfortunately

Welcome to the club, I am sure a few here have done something similar, I know I have!

Apprentice
    Just wondering is this actually worthless or as a Seiko*6309-7040* which hopefully it is at least that it has some value

At the very least it has aftermarket (fake) hands, dial and bezel insert. It looks to be a 6309 case but without other pictures of the case it's hard to tell. I would guess it's a correct movement, bezel ring and case but the rest is non original.
    I speak from experience. I have similar watch, total crap in terms of originality but a good gardening/ mucking about with the car watch.
    I think you need to work out the value from the sum of original parts minus the rest. - what you paid halved would be a good starting point.
    Sorry for the bad news

Apprentice
    Ah no bother....You live and learn. I'll keep it as a reminder

Wait, weren't these watches made by some company/organization for marketing/PR purposes hence the scuba pro on the dial ?

Are you guys sure this is a complete fake or something ?

Master

Did do

There was such a thing and they are rare but I don’t know if this is genuine in anyway??

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...1-Scubapro-450

There is a thread as above on here about them but not sure the link works?

Chris

Don't you just cancel the purchase if it's a moody one?

Master
    Just wondering is this actually worthless or as a Seiko*6309-7040* which hopefully it is at least that it has some value

If you bought it on ebay then you probably paid what it's worth, which should be £130 to £180 imho. It has aftermarket/fake hands, dial, crystal and bezel insert, plus the correct case ring is missing.

On the bright side, it's a 1977 case with the original fat spline crown, the case finishing looks decent enough and the movement looks clean so there's definitely some value in it.

Apprentice
    I paid £195. I'm not too fussed, could have been a lot worse.

Master

Offcourse it has some value.

Scubapro 6309 are minefields, but you will get a decent old classic diver from Seiko if you can live with AM parts.

6309 movement is bulletproof, since it is much better in built quality than its followers 7002 and 7s26. Full metal construction (before they moved on to plastic parts) and extremely durable.

Case has one weak part - telescope crown, other than that it is also built like a tank.

Ooops sorry. Changed the post, can't seem to change heading. Won't happen again

To change the heading go Edit then select Advanced.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Apprentice
    Would you chaps be kind enough to give me your opinion on this. I was thinking of bidding but after my last disaster I am now weary

https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Sei...8AAOSwzpFbHhqZ

Obviously I may have just shot myself in the foot by posting :-)

Quote Originally Posted by sinner77 View Post
    Offcourse it has some value.

Scubapro 6309 are minefields, but you will get a decent old classic diver from Seiko if you can live with AM parts.

6309 movement is bulletproof, since it is much better in built quality than its followers 7002 and 7s26. Full metal construction (before they moved on to plastic parts) and extremely durable.

Case has one weak part - telescope crown, other than that it is also built like a tank.
    The 6309 isn't full metal construction, it has a plastic pawl guard, date change wheel and intermediate date change wheel. It's bullet proof in as much as a worn and corroded one will keep ticking but not very accurately.

You could always do what I did with my 6309-7040 fitted with very good quality but still aftermarket parts - send it to .olli. of this forum for a service and send the dial, hands and bezel to dreamboat10, also of this forum, to be relumed in aged but working lume.

You'll have a fully functional watch that's waterproof and looks vintage in daylight but with lume that glows properly at night. I love mine and use it on holiday, when I go exploring with my very young son or whatever. Sure, it means throwing more money at the watch but it will come back looking superb.

"A man of little significance"

Would you chaps be kind enough to give me your opinion on this. I was thinking of bidding but after my last disaster I am now weary

I’m no expert but the description itself reads like he wrote it wearing a sheepskin coat!

Also, you don’t have to be “a photographer” to take non-blurry photos; therefore, he is either totally incompetent or trying to hide the true condition. From what you can see, there is a lot of slack in the breacelet overall but specifically at the case end. I’d want to see clear photos of the dial and case before spending money on it.

Also be very careful with these Seiko chronos, there are LOTS of them floating round with aftermarket parts (to me the lume looks too shiny). It also sold once before and you only have the seller's word that it was due to non-payment rather than because it didn't work.

The 6138 centre chronograph wheel is also something that can fail and there are no spares available. When a friend ignored my advice and bought a 6138 Bullhead from the Philippines on eBay it arrived non-working so he sent it to Seiko for service and restoration and they quoted him £800 to do the work.

With vintage Seikos you'd be much better off trying to find one on TZ. eBay is a minefield and like I said, there are a lot of dodgy ones floating around.
    "A man of little significance"

Apprentice
    Urghhh I give up:-), as mentioned in my other post I think it's best if I go for a
    Damasko DS 30 or Sinn 556i

Master

Looks all original to me and it's hard to find one of these that hasn't been tampered with. Obviously it could be in dire need of a service so factor that into the the price you pay and this applies to all vintage watches with no service history. I also like to see pictures with the chrono at zero to rule out the dreaded centre chrono wheel issues but an unscrupulous seller can get around this. The bottom line is that if you pay with PayPal and the watch has hidden issues you have 180 days to get a refund.

Apprentice
    The seller of the Scuba Pro watch is still insisting it's 100% original and kocher but will give me refund if I send it back.

Craftsman
    The seller of the Scuba Pro watch is still insisting it's 100% original and kocher but will give me refund if I send it back.

I’ve had a few experiences of bidders remorse, but that’s a pretty decent outcome. Hope you fair better with your next purchase!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by stelmo01 View Post
    I’ve had a few experiences of bidders remorse, but that’s a pretty decent outcome. Hope you fair better with your next purchase!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    TBH the advert reckon it was 100% genuine, all original and had been serviced and checked out by their matchmaker when it clearly isn't. If it hadn't of said all that I probably wouldn't had made a fuss and kept it.