closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Vinyl wrapping a garage door

Master
    Blog Entries

Vinyl wrapping a garage door

The house refurb is nearly finished and we've installed anthracite coloured double glazing which now looks out of place against the brown double garage door.

The quotes to replace the garage door are a lot more than I want to spend at the moment, is it possible to just have the sectional doors vinyl wrapped like you would a car?

The doors in question are hormann sectional fibre glass.

Blog Entries
    Have seen home front doors wrapped, surely must be possible to wrap a garage door once dismantled in its components.

Alternatively, how about a professional spray paint? Example here : https://www.haywoodcoatings.co.uk/pa.../garage-doors/ (do not know them, ust an example)

BWs
    Franco

Master
    Blog Entries
    Looked into a paint job and it would need to be painted with "2 pak paint" (don't think I wrote that correctly

The doors can't be powder coated either due the insulation in the door.

The sections are easy to take apart.

Wrap would be easy. Look up any 3m approved car wrapper and email to ask - not a hard job.

I always fancied having a garage door painted so it looked open with a Jaguar XJR9 lurking inside or possibly the tail of a Marcos, so it looked the same open or shut!

M

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by snowman; 4th July 2018 at 20:22.
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

I now REALLY do resent not having a garage....

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    Cleverly done, but so tacky on a residence, for a commercial property if business related could be a good way to advertise

Wrapping is a possibility however I'd also investigate using Plastidip, dead easy to DIY and plenty of colours available.

I do vinyl and it may be easy but would depend on the door.

If it has a non flat surface you would really need to use 3M IJ180 or Metamark MDX with a heat gun to get in to the recesses and to avoid any issues later on with driven rain and water ingress. Also, printed vinyl is very expensive (expect to pay at least £45 + VAT per printed meter).

If it's a flat surface and you want to have a go yourself Metamark do a great 5-7 year vinyl in a host of colours you could easily apply yourself, just drop me a PM and I can get it for you at trade price.

Craftsman
    I've just had two garage doors spray painted to match my new front door and am very impressed with the result. It was £500 all in for both and the paint match is perfect to the front door. I'm in Surrey and happy to recommend the guy who did mine who was meticulous and spent a very long time sanding and filling to ensure a good finish.

Edit: Just seen you're in Co. Durham... ah well. Have a look on CheckATrade as I think there are lots of decorators who will do it for you.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelicans View Post
    I've just had two garage doors spray painted to match my new front door and am very impressed with the result. It was £500 all in for both and the paint match is perfect to the front door. I'm in Surrey and happy to recommend the guy who did mine who was meticulous and spent a very long time sanding and filling to ensure a good finish.

Edit: Just seen you're in Co. Durham... ah well. Have a look on CheckATrade as I think there are lots of decorators who will do it for you.
    Yes please, I am in Surrey and looking to get this done soon.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gilford View Post
    I do vinyl and it may be easy but would depend on the door.

If it has a non flat surface you would really need to use 3M IJ180 or Metamark MDX with a heat gun to get in to the recesses and to avoid any issues later on with driven rain and water ingress. Also, printed vinyl is very expensive (expect to pay at least £45 + VAT per printed meter).

If it's a flat surface and you want to have a go yourself Metamark do a great 5-7 year vinyl in a host of colours you could easily apply yourself, just drop me a PM and I can get it for you at trade price.
    Thanks for that.

Craftsman
    We've just had all of our windows and doors replaced with Anthracite Grey.
    Garage door is painted metal so I plan to sand it down and paint it to match.
    You're most likely already aware. But wanted to share if not.
    The colour you require is RAL7016

Sent from my SM-A320FL using TZ-UK mobile app

Just paint them.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Master
    Just buy a new door ?
    You mention motor is also shot.

Painting a door looks rubbish, just walk round any housing estate that is established they scream at you.

Quote Originally Posted by g40steve View Post
    Just buy a new door ?

Painting a door looks rubbish, just walk round any housing estate that is established they scream at you.
    Surely that’s dependant upon who is doing the painting, the paint used, the methods used to paint, etc. I’m rather pleased with mine, but I don’t live on a housing estate.

As for the motor, surely it’s a lot cheaper to replace/fix the motor, rather than replace the motor, doors etc.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    Surely that’s dependant upon who is doing the painting, the paint used, the methods used to paint, etc. I’m rather pleased with mine, but I don’t live on a housing estate.

As for the motor, surely it’s a lot cheaper to replace/fix the motor, rather than replace the motor, doors etc.
    Agree but getting the old paint off can be a right #@##. When we moved in the paint was flaking and I naively thought it would just peel off easily. One full weekend with a heat gun later it was ready for sanding and painting

Sent from my moto g(7) plus using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post

Like most things it comes down to the skill and knowledge of the user

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Taxboy View Post
    Agree but getting the old paint off can be a right #@##. When we moved in the paint was flaking and I naively thought it would just peel off easily. One full weekend with a heat gun later it was ready for sanding and painting

Cheaper for me to buy a new door than spend all weekend with a heat gun?
    Still got an old door with shocks motor at the end of the day.
    Most doors come in a range of Pantone to suit all tastes.

Craftsman
    Cheaper for me to buy a new door than spend all weekend with a heat gun?
    Still got an old door with shocks motor at the end of the day.
    Most doors come in a range of Pantone to suit all tastes.
    I got a bit stubborn having told the OH I could do it no problem and we didn't need to get anyone in

Just buy a new door ?

Probably sorted by now.

Master
    Is Banksy available?

Craftsman
    I've recently seen a couple of properties round by me who have both had their windows and doors painted. From the road/path, they look great to me. Cant see any reason why this wouldn't work with a garage door.

Re-painting the garage door was one of my lockdown tasks, now complete. The previous owner had brush painted it, and the texture looked wrong, it was flaking and it was prorous enough to be going slightly green.
    I sanded it down with a detail sander (80 then 120 grit) to both remove the old durface and get a decent key, then sprayed it using my HVLP spray (that I usually use for lacquers on my work) and a Rustins white satin finish metal paint watered down for spraying (it is a water-based spray), having masked the surroundings.
    In total it took a full days' work, spread over 3 (mostly due to sanding noise fatigue and drying time). A solvent based paint or 2 pack would dry for re-coating much quicker.
    It currently looks great, and the surface has cured well, and feels very hardwearing.
    Dave