closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Missing Thai Boys found alive after 9 days lost in an underground cave

Vernon Unsworth ‘astonished and very angry’

Vernon Unsworth, 63, told the Guardian on Monday he was “astonished and very angry” at the attack, for which Musk offered no evidence or basis. The billionaire initially doubled down on the comments made on social media, but has since deleted them.

He told journalists at the cave site, where a clean-up operation is underway, the remarks about him were an attack on the entire rescue crew.

James Anderson, a partner at Baillie Gifford, Tesla’s fourth-largest shareholder, told the Guardian in an email: “I intend to convey my – predictable I trust – feelings to the company tomorrow.” He declined to elaborate.

Quote Originally Posted by thegreatdogwood View Post
    If this is true Musk should be totally ashamed
    The tweets are also on the BBC story:-

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-44846945

Link...Elon Musk apologizes. That took long enough.

BBC Link (with video clip):

The 12 boys rescued from a flooded cave in Thailand have spoken publicly of their ordeal for the first time, describing the "moment of miracle" when divers found them.

Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post
    Link...Elon Musk apologizes. That took long enough.
    Must be something in the air, first Trump now Musk!

Actually, reading the Tweets, I suspect Trump and Musk are the same people!

I won't be buying a Tesla any time soon... He comes over as a total armhole!

M
    Last edited by snowman; 18th July 2018 at 17:11.

Master
    9pm tonight on Discovery: Operation Thai Cave Rescue

Craftsman
    Brit divers got dinner with PM May. Aus divers got two gongs each. Star of Courage or Bravery Medal (equivalent to GM and QGM, I think), and Medal of Order of Australia (BEMish?). Any plans for Brits to get gongs?

https://www.smh.com.au/politics/fede...24-p4ztd6.html

I’m sure the Brits will get MBEs etc in due course. A medal as well would be well deserved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Always thought of him as a chancer, but as of a recent his behaviour is becoming more and more erratic..

In A New Email, Elon Musk Accused A Cave Rescuer Of Being A “Child Rapist” And Said He “Hopes” There's A Lawsuit

British caver Vernon Unsworth at the Tham Luang cave complex during a search for members of a soccer team and their coach in Thailand in June.

Tesla CEO Elon Musk has renewed his attacks against a British man who played a key role in the rescue of a youth soccer team trapped in a flooded cave in Thailand.
    Musk last month apologized for accusing Vernon Unsworth of pedophilia after the diver questioned the value of Musk’s contribution to the rescue, a small submarine that ultimately went unused. But in a series of emails to BuzzFeed News, Musk repeated his original attacks on Unsworth — and made new and specific claims, lambasting the rescuer as a “child rapist” who had moved to the Southeast Asian country to take a child bride. Unsworth denied Musk's accusations through his attorney.
    Though Musk prefaced one email with “off the record,” BuzzFeed News did not agree to that condition of the correspondence. (Per common journalistic practice, a conversation is off the record only if both parties agree to the terms. )
    BuzzFeed News first emailed Musk last Wednesday to ask for comment regarding a legal threat made by Unsworth’s lawyer in August after the Tesla CEO renewed his apparently evidenceless criticism of the rescuer in a Twitter argument the day before. Musk responded without addressing the substance of the legal threat. BuzzFeed News followed up twice, once on Wednesday and once on Thursday, and Musk responded with two separate emails.

“I suggest that you call people you know in Thailand, find out what’s actually going on and stop defending child rapists, you fucking asshole,” Musk wrote in the first message. “He’s an old, single white guy from England who’s been traveling to or living in Thailand for 30 to 40 years, mostly Pattaya Beach, until moving to Chiang Rai for a child bride who was about 12 years old at the time.”
    “As for this alleged threat of a lawsuit, which magically appeared when I raised the issue (nothing was sent or raised beforehand), I fucking hope he sues me,” he added.
    It is unclear why Musk believes the allegations against Unsworth or what evidence he has to support them. Musk did not provide proof of his claims to BuzzFeed News, and BuzzFeed News could not verify any of the claims after reporting on Unsworth’s background.

The Tesla CEO’s continued campaign against Unsworth offers a glimpse into the new ability of some of the world’s wealthiest and most powerful figures to directly attack private citizens who cross them — and will test the capacity of traditional legal tools against them.
    Full article

In other news

Electric Mercedes opens German assault on Tesla

STOCKHOLM/PARIS (Reuters) - Mercedes-Benz is set to unveil its much-anticipated electric SUV on Tuesday, marking the start of a German onslaught against Tesla’s (TSLA.O) dominance of the fast-growing market for premium battery cars. The EQC, the first fully electric Mercedes car is shown at a presentation in Stockholm, Sweden September 4, 2018. REUTERS/Esha Vaish
    Daimler-owned (DAIGn.DE) Mercedes, BMW (BMWG.DE) and Volkswagen’s (VOWG_p.DE) Audi and Porsche divisions are all gunning for the $52 billion Californian upstart, with early publicity efforts emulating its tech-industry halo.
    The market for upscale electric cars is Tesla’s to lose, with sales of its entry-level Model 3 sedan expected to reach about 50,000 cars this year and almost double that in 2019.
    The Mercedes EQC - whose launch program in Stockholm features yoga in a direct appeal to the Millennials who have flocked to Tesla - is the first production model under the carmaker’s electric EQ sub-brand. It will be closely followed by similarly hyped debuts for BMW and Audi.
    “While Tesla currently has a strong hold on the luxury electric market, I don’t think this will be the case after the arrival of the German premium offerings,” said Wajih Hossenally, an automotive powertrain analyst with IHS Markit.
    “Tesla has virtually zero competition - but this will change from 2019 onwards.”
    Full article

EQC looks gorgeous IMO
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Quote Originally Posted by AM94 View Post
    The tweets are also on the BBC story:-

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-44846945
    Elon Musk faces trial over 'pedo' tweet:

Elon Musk must defend himself in court after calling a diver who helped save Thai schoolboys trapped in a cave a paedophile, a Los Angeles judge says.

The federal court judge set a 22 October trial date.

Mr Musk is being sued by Vern Unsworth, who helped rescue the 12 boys from Thailand's Tham Luang caves.

The Tesla boss called Mr Unsworth a "pedo" in a Twitter post after the Briton said Mr Musk's attempt to help in the rescue was a "PR stunt"...

Master

Elon Musk must defend himself in court after calling a diver who helped save Thai schoolboys trapped in a cave a paedophile, a Los Angeles judge says.

Mr Musk is being sued by Vern Unsworth, who helped rescue the 12 boys from Thailand's Tham Luang caves.

The Tesla boss called Mr Unsworth a "pedo" in a Twitter post after the Briton said Mr Musk's attempt to help in the rescue was a "PR stunt"...
    Good enough for him. Hope it costs the arrogant git millions.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    He's only after $75k, https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/n...heads-to-court.

I expected a lot more as well.

Craftsman
    Musk is absolutely the type of person who deserves a hard slap across the chops.
    When he gets a criminal record will he be disqualified from being a company director ?

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BadgerUK View Post
    Musk is absolutely the type of person who deserves a hard slap across the chops.
    When he gets a criminal record will he be disqualified from being a company director ?
    If he is being sued it’s a civil matter, and won’t result in a criminal record.

Not for this. With his poor impulse control it can only be a matter of time.

Yet another example of ‘person in the public eye says something grossly offensive and moronic on Twitter, gets sued’. Why do they do it? I’m a nobody and avoid twitter like the plague, why on earth would you broadcast something so obviously stupid to the whole world? just a few days ago we had the Danny Baker story, who’s going to be next?

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    Yet another example of ‘person in the public eye says something grossly offensive and moronic on Twitter, gets sued’. Why do they do it? I’m a nobody and avoid twitter like the plague, why on earth would you broadcast something so obviously stupid to the whole world? just a few days ago we had the Danny Baker story, who’s going to be next?

They use Twitter because they are in the public eye. They are told - rightly or not - that they need to if they want to remain there. And they need to feed their ‘followers’. Just like Trump, or so they think. Be outrageously funny or just outrageous! This time he broached the wrong subject and it backfired violently but most of the time the buzz created is beneficial in the long run.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Yes I get the positive side of self promotion, I just assumed everything tweeted by a billionaire/personality would be best run via a Manager/PR team etc in 2019. A lot of them seem to need a filter tbh!

Yes I get the positive side of self promotion, I just assumed everything tweeted by a billionaire/personality would be best run via a Manager/PR team etc in 2019. A lot of them seem to need a filter tbh!
    You’re correct. Except, most are from the ‘how hard can it be?’ school of thoughts and also probably think that a PR team wouldn’t have whatever talent their career is based upon.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Drugs are bad for you, m’key.

Fas est ab hoste doceri

Master

I think reading the circumstances around what actually happened with Danny Baker it was a stupid mistake and not a deliberate attempt to post up something racist. I just can’t believe that a well established, well liked media personality would deliberately post something like that even if he held those kinds of views (and I am not saying he did) - and unfortunately he didn’t handle the sacking and the apology very well on the day it happened.

Quote Originally Posted by chicaneuk View Post
    I think reading the circumstances around what actually happened with Danny Baker it was a stupid mistake and not a deliberate attempt to post up something racist. I just can’t believe that a well established, well liked media personality would deliberately post something like that even if he held those kinds of views (and I am not saying he did) - and unfortunately he didn’t handle the sacking and the apology very well on the day it happened.
    I find him a pain in the arse, but a racist he is not.

Master

I think the difference here is the guy actually gave him the chance to apologise, multiple times. It felt like he didn’t actually want to take legal action but musk wasn’t amble or willing to apologise.

I wouldn’t have thought less of him if he held his hands up and said sorry, but I think it’s petty he hasn’t properly done it.

Just say no, Zammo.

It’s a measure of the magnitude of a tosser musk is that he couldn’t apologise and make the necessary reparations quietly.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    Unfortunately it won't...Elon Musk wins defamation case

...Speaking to reporters outside the courtroom after the jury reached its decision, Mr Musk said: "My faith in humanity is restored."

Mr Unsworth's lawyer Lin Wood said their side would leave the court "with our heads held high" but that the decision was "not a good verdict for society".

"This verdict sends a signal, and one signal only - that you can make any accusation you want to, as vile as it may be and as untrue as it may be, and somebody can get away with it," he said.

Appearing dejected, Mr Unsworth himself added: "I respect the jury's decision. I'd just like to say my legal team have been absolutely awesome. I came here for a verdict, unfortunately it's not gone the way I expected but I respect the jury's decision and thank them for that."

Jurors took less than an hour to return their unanimous verdict, following a four-day trial at a federal court in Los Angeles...

Clearly calling someone a 'Pedo' doesn't amount to slander if you are a billionnaire. Another wonderful day for justice in the USA......

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    So everyone could tweet that musk is a pedo and there wouldn't be a problem?

Taking on a high profile American entrepreneur through the US justice system was never going to end well.

'Muricans look after their own!

Master
    What could it cost Musk - maybe £100k - he likes publicity - and any publicity is supposed to be good - but it's a sad old world in many ways and the "state of man" in many walks of life seems to get worse every day -(countered of course by many good things)

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Clearly calling someone a 'Pedo' doesn't amount to slander if you are a billionnaire. Another wonderful day for justice in the USA......

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by petay993 View Post
    Taking on a high profile American entrepreneur through the US justice system was never going to end well.

Yep we are of the same opinion, similarly if you happen to be American you can get away with manslaughter in the UK simply by claiming diplomatic immunity.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

“We were pretty much unanimous from the word ‘go,”’ said Carl Shusterman, a 70-year-old immigration lawyer who served on a jury for the first time. Shusterman said the verdict was straight-forward because it wasn’t clear if the tweet was actually about Unsworth, since Musk didn’t name him. The judge told the jurors that was one of the elements required to establish defamation, Shusterman said.
    (...) Musk responded on Twitter, calling Unsworth a “pedo guy” and adding: “Never saw this British expat guy who lives in Thailand (sus) at any point when we were in the caves.” Sus -- meaning suspect, or suspicious. Later, he asked why Unsworth hadn’t sued him. Musk also hired a private investigator to dig into Unsworth’s personal life and leak information to British tabloids. Unsworth, a financial consultant who divides his time between England and Thailand, described to the jury the effect the tweet had on him. “When you combine ‘sus’ and ‘pedo guy,’ I took it as I was being branded a pedophile,” Unsworth said on Wednesday. “I feel vulnerable and sometimes, when I’m in the U.K., I feel isolated.” It was a tweet heard around the world. An expert witness for Unsworth told the jury that 490 English-language stories were published mentioning the “pedo guy” tweet -- not including stories about the litigation.
    Bloomberg

What is the fucking point of letting amateurs decide about complex court cases? This case proves that if you have the necessary resources to hire the most expensive lawyers you get away with everything in America. Want further proof? This:

Tesla CEO Elon Musk has renewed his attacks against a British man who played a key role in the rescue of a youth soccer team trapped in a flooded cave in Thailand. Musk last month apologized for accusing Vernon Unsworth of pedophilia after the diver questioned the value of Musk’s contribution to the rescue, a small submarine that ultimately went unused. But in a series of emails to BuzzFeed News, Musk repeated his original attacks on Unsworth — and made new and specific claims, lambasting the rescuer as a “child rapist” who had moved to the Southeast Asian country to take a child bride. Unsworth denied Musk's accusations through his attorney.
    Buzzfeed
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

Master
    And, Unsworth only sought $190m to put things right!

Quote Originally Posted by petay993 View Post

Musk is of South African decent...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by reggie747 View Post
    But also happens to hold American Citizenship.

Quote Originally Posted by reggie747 View Post
    Decent is one thing he isn’t 😄

He’s such a colossal bell end, I think I’d ever struggle to buy a Tesla.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by junglebert View Post
    Decent is one thing he isn’t 

He’s such a colossal bell end, I think I’d ever struggle to buy a Tesla.
    Tesla - you do see more and more - probably the most popular US car on UK roads ever

people on twitter should be tweeting that the boss of twitter is anything they want, just don’t name musk

Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    Yep we are of the same opinion, similarly if you happen to be American you can get away with manslaughter in the UK simply by claiming diplomatic immunity.
    Well, to be fair, Diplomatic Immunity isn't a simple thing to get and I'm sure this scenario would apply to most other countries with little sense of decent behaviour at the highest levels.

M

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    Well, to be fair, Diplomatic Immunity isn't a simple thing to get and I'm sure this scenario would apply to most other countries with little sense of decent behaviour at the highest levels.

M
    Sure I'm not about to disagree with you.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Grand Master
    A good old apology is never going to be wanted from a very wealthy person is it!.

And to have a rant.......

It had me thinking having heard about two recent happenings.

Yesterday on the news a guy was released after several years wrongful imprisonment,I only wish the news guy asked what his compensation was,the other the wealthy chap who was awarded £500.000 settlement and £450.000 Court costs for what the Police did.So it seems to me it depends as always!,who you are.

The Man in the street has to be thankful he's been released from his hell,the wealthy guy has his bank account Increaed by a huge amount of cash because of the embarrassment caused!.

Lets see what "doesn't" happen to Prince! Andrew hey.........NOTHING!!!.

Money,Power,Who you are and Who you know can make a huge difference as we all know.

Quote Originally Posted by P9CLY View Post
    A good old apology is never going to be wanted from a very wealthy person is it!.

And to have a rant.......

It had me thinking having heard about two recent happenings.

Yesterday on the news a guy was released after several years wrongful imprisonment,I only wish the news guy asked what his compensation was,the other the wealthy chap who was awarded £500.000 settlement and £450.000 Court costs for what the Police did.So it seems to me it depends as always!,who you are.

The Man in the street has to be thankful he's been released from his hell,the wealthy guy has his bank account Increaed by a huge amount of cash because of the embarrassment caused!.

Lets see what "doesn't" happen to Prince! Andrew hey.........NOTHING!!!.

Money,Power,Who you are and Who you know can make a huge difference as we all know.

To be fair, Musk did apologise.

How he pulled it off to first apologise and then claim it wasn't clear-cut that he meant Unsworth with the tweet is beyond me, especially considering his follow-up tweets and the emails to Buzzfeed.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    To be fair, Musk did apologise.

How he pulled it off to first apologise and then claim it wasn't clear-cut that he meant Unsworth with the tweet is beyond me, especially considering his follow-up tweets and the emails to Buzzfeed.
    Why did he make such a statement in the first place,having not really taken any in depth notice as to why he did say what he did.

Quote Originally Posted by P9CLY View Post
    Why did he make such a statement in the first place,having not really taken any in depth notice as to why he did say what he did.
    The simple explanation is that he is a colossal dick.

The context was that Unsworth had daid in an interview with CNN that the whole exercise of shipping the submarine to Thailand was nothing but grandstanding and had no chance of ever helping to rescue the boys. He also said that Musk could “stick his submarine where it hurts”. Then Musk fired off his famous tweets: