closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best way to get on a real Rolex waiting list

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post
    Why would the shop care? They are still making a sale.
    ‘Repeat revenue’ is one of the most fundamental concepts in business.

Master
    So has anybody had any luck recently in London?

Apprentice
    I have. Picked up a sub non date recently from the Aurum group. Waited 3 days after popping into a particular site.

Sent from my SM-N960F using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Interesting. Was that WoS or the WoS/Aurum owned rolex boutique? Goldsmiths and M&W don' do Rolex anymore in London do they? Have you bought Rolex form there before?

Quote Originally Posted by LondonNeil View Post
    Interesting. Was that WoS or the WoS/Aurum owned rolex boutique? Goldsmiths and M&W don' do Rolex anymore in London do they? Have you bought Rolex form there before?
    Welcome to the forum :)

Master
    thank you. I've lurked a little before over the years....I'm more an Omega man really and have a PO, vintage '61 Seamaster and a SMP. Got back into reading about and looking at watches lots of late and been looking at Rolex. I work near Victoria so sometimes enjoy browsing or chatting to the staff in the various West End shops.

Craftsman
    Having tried a number of AD for a ceramic Daytona, I'm now rapidly coming to the conclusion that the Oysterflex versions are better value and far more obtainable. Used Ceramic prices are not that far off what I could get a new Oysterflex for. Crazy!

Master
    Blog Entries
    thank you. I've lurked a little before over the years....I'm more an Omega man really and have a PO, vintage '61 Seamaster and a SMP. Got back into reading about and looking at watches lots of late and been looking at Rolex. I work near Victoria so sometimes enjoy browsing or chatting to the staff in the various West End shops.
    I work on Vic St. Where are the watch shops of note nearby? I've seen the one I need Cardinal place but that's it.

Master
    Of note by Victoria? Just goldsmith on Victoria itself (no Rolex), but walk across st James park and you've all the bond st, new bond st, regent Street etc. Or go to covent garden for Bucherer, or Knightsbridge for Harrods, WoS, Bucherer Rolex boutique and more. West end is full of expensive jewellers, although many/most are 20+ minutes walk from Victoria st.

Apprentice
    It was a aurum owned WOS, not a Rolex boutique. The advantage for me was I have been a customer for over 10 years and they saw a massive purchase history.
    Sent from my SM-N960F using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    I registered interest in the Pepsi on the day of release by going into the AD that had supplied me with my DSSD, Ceramic Daytona (and a Panerai before those two). I've kept in regular contact via email and popping in. I was even allowed to try one on which they would not sell it to me. I've now been told there is no list, they look at what watches you have bought and because I've had 2 desirable models I'm unlikely to get another. I still have my Daytona and DSSD and I'm not a flipper but that does not seem to matter. I dare say the one they had in would be offered as a sweetner to someone buying less desirable models.

Master
    I'm genuinely lost for words, the concept of a waiting list has always made me chuckle. There are members that I've known for many years who don't seem to have any issues getting sports Rolex models but then again they do have great relationships with the dealers. I just don't get what all the fuss is about to be honest, if I had to go on a list and meet certain criteria I couldn't be bothered, there are many, many more things that are far more important than an overpriced Rolex (insert any big name watch brand).

I think that the games that the bigger brands play is what completely switched my interest in them off, I look at the watch, and as has always been the case, I cannot justify over £3k for an Omega Seamaster..... it's a ridiculous amount of money for a watch that is fairly average in most respects, it's churned out in the thousands and yet it's got a premium price tag. The heady heights reached by Rolex in terms of controlling the market is amusing to watch and it will be interesting to see how it performs in the coming years. Doubtless it'll continue to do well but I do wonder if, or when, the asian markets that have been driving demand through the roof will slow, maybe production will pick up then?

Apologies for my ramblings

Paul

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by PAM580 View Post
    because I've had 2 desirable models I'm unlikely to get another.
    That is just mental - because you're a good customer you can't get any more...! A good customer is one who buys the hard to shift stuff clearly. What a business.
    I had some success getting a mate with a purchase history to 'vouch' for me - seemed to break through the initial barrier to be taken seriously anyway

Craftsman
    OP - How did you get on? Did you manage to get on any lists or get your watch?

I’ve just spent a few days in Florence. The Rolex AD there happily let me try on a Hulk they had in the safe that was reserved for someone else. He also put me on the ‘waiting list’ which extends to about 50 weeks although it could be sooner. (not sure if I will be able to buy it but would happily get it for someone in here at the time and if it materialises). They also had the new Sea Dweller and Polar Explorer II in stock.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattius2 View Post
    That is just mental - because you're a good customer you can't get any more...! A good customer is one who buys the hard to shift stuff clearly. What a business.
    I had some success getting a mate with a purchase history to 'vouch' for me - seemed to break through the initial barrier to be taken seriously anyway
    Total and utter madness. Good luck by the way.

Craftsman
    Weird this, when I traded my PO in, it was against the Exp 2 (26570) that was in the window, sat alongside a non date sub.

This was about tho years ago, how times have changed.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattius2 View Post
    That is just mental - because you're a good customer you can't get any more...! A good customer is one who buys the hard to shift stuff clearly.
    Given the ridiculous over-demand/undersupply, it does seem reasonable that a dealer would favour someone who buys stuff he/she struggles to sell over someone who only buys stuff that sells itself. Frustrates people like me but would I do it if I was a dealer? Yes, of course I would.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Just off the phone to David m Robinson dealer who told me the book is closed for new sports Rolex and the only way in is to buy a portfolio of jewellery, not watches.

I said I don't wear jewellery and am single lol. She told me "you've had it then".

Nice!

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Reading this thread has convinced me it’s time to sell the majority of my watch collection. If ever anything looked like the frothy end of a bubble this does. Irrespective of how anyone might feel about Rolex, this all feels very 2008, 1929 South Sea Bubble and Tulip mania.

At some point bubbles burst and, frankly, what’s bad for Rolex is probably bad for watches I bought for a tenner five years ago that are now worth a grand. So...
    Last edited by M4tt; 7th March 2019 at 21:40.

Quote Originally Posted by pete-r View Post
    Just off the phone to David m Robinson dealer who told me the book is closed for new sports Rolex and the only way in is to buy a portfolio of jewellery, not watches.

I said I don't wear jewellery and am single lol. She told me "you've had it then".

Nice!
    Who do these retailers think they are? When the next recession hits they’ll be begging customers to come into their stores. And we should say ‘Before I entertain buying anything from your store you need to build a relationship with me first’.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    Who do these retailers think they are? When the next recession hits they’ll be begging customers to come into their stores. And we should say ‘Before I entertain buying anything from your store you need to build a relationship with me first’.
    Indeed.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Journeyman

Nice!
    That’s hilarious. First sign of a recession and these sad jumped up gimps will be on the dole.

'I hear you knocking, but you can't come in.....' - Dave Edmunds Rockpile Rolex AD

Nice!
    They told me exactly the same thing too.

I laughed.

The point is I wouldn't now buy anything from them.

I live in central London, however just picked up a Submariner No Date from an AD a half hour train journey from Paddington after putting my name down on the list about 10 days ago.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by M4tt View Post
    ... I bought for a tenner five years ago that are now worth a grand. So...
    Details would be interesting!

Master

Nice!

I’d rather a dealer was honest like that. Would people prefer the AD to pretend to put them on a list and then get stressed and waste time wondering month after month where you are on the list? It’s a ridiculous situation but if that’s how it is, you can move on.

Journeyman
    Just watched this Collector Conversation video on youtube. The collector, Mike Nguyen started his interest in watches in 2017 and has every desirable Rolex available.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htxOMuDJ59s

In short

1) Be nice to the Dealer
    2) Goes to them often to let them know that he's interested in a watch
    3) Buys a LOT of Rolex's
    4) Has patience in waiting for the watch he wants.

In the case of getting the Daytona he wanted, he also had to buy a white gold smurf.

So dropping 100/150k at a dealer will get you any watch you want.

Master

Nice!
    Shows how things have changed...The last time I went there I said I’d like to buy a GMT master II and if they could give me a discount I’d buy it now. 10% knocked straight off..

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by aksd View Post
    I live in central London, however just picked up a Submariner No Date from an AD a half hour train journey from Paddington after putting my name down on the list about 10 days ago.
    So.... Reading?
    Was it somewhere you visit regularly or did you call around to find it?

So.... Reading?
    Was it somewhere you visit regularly or did you call around to find it?
    I’ve bought 1 Explorer from them exactly a year ago, however been in touch on and off in the last few months.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Building a relationship there then by the sounds, good, glad to hear you got your sub.

Building a relationship there then by the sounds, good, glad to hear you got your sub.
    Thanks . But it’s quite a shame that it’s close to impossible to build a relationship in central London unless you spend crazy money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Seems that way!

Master
    “The best way to get on a real Rolex waiting list” - sleep with the store manager. Yes, male or female!

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Yunsung View Post
    “The best way to get on a real Rolex waiting list” - sleep with the store manager. Yes, male or female!
    I think a lot of folks here would do their local AD store manager for a lot less than a place on a Rolex waiting list.