closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best way to get on a real Rolex waiting list

Apprentice

Best way to get on a real Rolex waiting list

I’ve decided to replace my rather tired Plant Ocean with the rather similar looking Submariner (no date).

I’m confused about the wealth of information about buying a SS sports Rolex.

I work in central London, so there are plenty of retailers.... given that I have no purchase history with any retailer, do I have a chance of getting one from a retailer in the next year?

Is it advisable to get on the waiting list at a few different retailers (Mappin & Webb, WoS, etc) and see who gets me a watch first? Or are there drawbacks of being on a waiting list at multiple retailers?

Aside from a long and costly purchase history, what can I do to ensure that I’m on a real list and not a ‘smile and nod’ list which doesn’t go anywhere?

I’d consider getting a very new second hand watch, but I’d rather go through a retailer so I get the fun of wearing it first, etc.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Wow a Rolex thread, there's a first.

"Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Craftsman

Mmm

Quote Originally Posted by uktotty View Post
    Wow a Rolex thread, there's a first.
    Perhaps not the most welcoming post, wish I could answer your questions with a degree of informed opinion. Sadly I’ve no idea but welcome to the forum. Don’t get disillusioned with some of the replies you may see, there are some very knowledgable members here but there are also those that appear at face value to be a more than a little cantankerous. For the most part it’s just banter, I’ll let you work out which are which and if you’ve not done so already its always a search of the forum.

Craftsman
    Get your name down with as many ADs as possible. Also spread across different retail groups.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by hops View Post
    Perhaps not the most welcoming post, wish I could answer your questions with a degree of informed opinion. Sadly I’ve no idea but welcome to the forum. Don’t get disillusioned with some of the replies you may see, there are some very knowledgable members here but there are also those that appear at face value to be a more than a little cantankerous. For the most part it’s just banter, I’ll let you work out which are which and if you’ve not done so already its always a search of the forum.
    Haha, thanks!

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by mangoosian View Post
    Get your name down with as many ADs as possible. Also spread across different retail groups.
    Thanks for that. Just wanted to check that there weren’t any ADs that consolidate their lists and remove anyone who is a duplicate. Maybe they aren’t that sophisticated.

I also thought that it’s possible I’m not helping the situation by adding my name to every list I possibly could. But if it gets me my new watch!

Fastest way to get a new desirable Rolex would probable be get a Saturday job at Goldsmiths/Frazer Hart.

Journeyman

Quote Originally Posted by mikeyr View Post
    I’ve decided to replace my rather tired Plant Ocean with the rather similar looking Submariner (no date).

I’m confused about the wealth of information about buying a SS sports Rolex.

I work in central London, so there are plenty of retailers.... given that I have no purchase history with any retailer, do I have a chance of getting one from a retailer in the next year?

Is it advisable to get on the waiting list at a few different retailers (Mappin & Webb, WoS, etc) and see who gets me a watch first? Or are there drawbacks of being on a waiting list at multiple retailers?

Aside from a long and costly purchase history, what can I do to ensure that I’m on a real list and not a ‘smile and nod’ list which doesn’t go anywhere?

I’d consider getting a very new second hand watch, but I’d rather go through a retailer so I get the fun of wearing it first, etc.

Thanks

I’m also in central London. It’s a bit of a slog, but you’ll get something eventually.

Depending on what AD you speak to, you’ll probably be quoted:

Subs - 2mo to 3y
    GMT LN - 3mo to never
    Hot GMTs - 2y to never
    SeaD / SkyD - 6mo to never
    Daytona - never
    Ex I, Ex II, Milgauss, Air King, YM - same day to 3mo

Lots of ADs will tell you to * off and they don’t do lists. Some tips from my various experiences to help you break through this:

1) Physically visit as many ADs as you can

2) London is awful for this, and most ADs just want to tickle their obscenely wealthy overseas customers. You’ll almost never get a ‘hot’ Rolex in London without prior purchase. Spread your net to the regional ADs.

3) Go to the independents. Aurum Group are now removing people on lists at multiple Aurum stores and are in my experience just lip-service experts and salespeople of the worst kind unfortunately. Indies tend to have better customer service.

4) Have a bit of banter with them before you get down to business - build rapport. Might want to tell them why you’re buying the watch, as this may help convince them you’re not just a scalper

5) Make it clear that you’re serious about buying, and have funds ready to go. Don’t say ‘I want to put myself on the list’, say ‘I am ready to buy in cash today, what is the best that can be done?’

6) Be firm about the model that you want. ADs don’t like timewasters, so be clear that you want a sub and you want it now

I’m sure there are more, and people may disagree with the above. Bottom line is it’s going to take a bit of legwork!
    Last edited by figureeight; 2nd July 2018 at 15:54.

Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by figureeight View Post
    I’m ... legwork!
    Thanks for the detailed response, this is exactly the type of response I was hoping for.

I’m after an 114060, hopefully closer to the three months.

I’ve got a few trips planned to see uni friends (out of London) over the next few months. I’ll see if there are any AD options close by. Great tip, hadn’t thought of that!

Grand Master
    I’ve got a few trips planned to see uni friends (out of London) over the next few months. I’ll see if there are any AD options close by. Great tip, hadn’t thought of that!

Believe it or not, there is life outside London.

I`ve no desire to buy any of the current Rolex sports watches, but I suspect London is the worst place to try and buy. Look for smaller independents in smaller towns and be prepared to do some legwork. Face to face conversation is more likely to be successful.

I've just spent the last hour contacting Rudells, Berry's and Pragnell.
    I've bought Rolex and Panerai from them all before but really the responses were quite demoralising.
    No chance of getting on any lists....

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Believe it or not, there is life outside London.

I`ve no desire to buy any of the current Rolex sports watches, but I suspect London is the worst place to try and buy. Look for smaller independents in smaller towns and be prepared to do some legwork. Face to face conversation is more likely to be successful.
    Agreed on this. Despite the craziness of trying to get hold of a BLNR last year I had my name down at Merry Hill Goldsmiths and when I wanted to pick it up (after 3 month wait), I was asked "By the way, do you know anyone who might want to buy a Submariner Date? My list has been exhausted and it's going to have to go in the window!". I was never asked "am I local?" when I put my name down so get out of London, have a chat and stick your name on the list. You might get lucky...

Also, my experience was once on the list, badger them over the phone. I seemed to have "fallen off the list" at a different dealer (FH in Solihull I think it was), or they said they were "redoing the list" anyway. So there was value in calling up to check. Got a call within a week asking if I wanted the BLNR that had come in stock! But I had already had mine from GS two days before so graciously passed up on it.

Thanks for the detailed response, this is exactly the type of response I was hoping for.

I’m after an 114060, hopefully closer to the three months.

I would suggest getting on any list even if they say 2/3/5 years. Once you are on a list and pester them, you may get one quickly.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by thestore View Post
    I would suggest getting on any list even if they say 2/3/5 years. Once you are on a list and pester them, you may get one quickly.
    This is right.

Is they offer to let you on the list, take the offer with both hands. They normally massively overestimate the time for a variety of reasons

Craftsman
    Put your name on as many lists as you can. Sit back and cross your fingers!!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    My understanding is that you won’t be able to go on multiple lists with the same retail group. You need to be local. The eating lists are now a register of interest and you need to have a purchase record with the company (at least for the Aurum group)

Master
    Stay local, and stay out of the city centre.
    Build up a repertoire, even if it's only browsing ( but don't take the piss... you'll be off the list immediately ).

Other than that, maybe shop other brands? Rolex are a pain in the arse from every angle. 😃

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by kevkojak View Post
    Rolex are a pain in the arse from every angle.
    What do you mean by this? Service, after care, warranty issues?

Master
    As I understand it, this is the way:

Master
    FWIW last year I visited 2 AD’s in my locality looking for a 114060. One of the AD’s I’d bought from in the past, the other I hadn’t bought anything from.

Around 3 weeks later, both got in touch (on the same day) to say they had a watch for me. I bought from the one that I’d not dealt with before. The same dealer also got me an SD43 not long after they were released.

My advice is talk to them, make sure they know you’re serious, and occasionally call in and say hello, remind them you’re still on the lookout, and sooner rather than later you should get your Sub..

I put my name down for the new D-Blue after Basel and got the watch last weekend. I was first on the list at the AD but I don't have a big purchase history. I'd bought one watch there before.
    I just go in the same shop regularly and say hello and look at the stock. Which I enjoyed doing anyway.

When I asked why I was first on the list they said I had simply been the first to go in and ask to be waitlisted for that model and that they "knew" me. That's it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    As Enoch said basically be a pest. Might also be worth trying Harrods, at least they let you keep the warranty card

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy67 View Post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forget the AD list - I know that for the new GMT Rolex only 10 have been distributed to new York ADs for the year (all sold) and the wait list at one dealer is 1300 and growing daily.

Get a great new used Sub from a trusted seller like DavidSW. It might be twelve months old but it will be immaculate and still have four years on the warranty. This is what I did to get my BLNR.

Master
    Can you not save yourself all the hassle and either get your Planet Ocean refurbed or buy a new Omega?

I so could not be arsed with this Rolex thing

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

Apprentice
    I actually got mine on the off chance at an AD in Dublin. Cancelled order, I had my name down at three places down Bond Street

If I was you I'd drop in and chat with them whenever you get the chance.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

im in exactly the same predicament just keep searching mate.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy67 View Post
    Very good! Not sure you would get away with that these days. And I had no recollection of Jim Broadbent featuring.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Hasan View Post
    I've bought Rolex and Panerai from them all before but really the responses were quite demoralising.

No chance of buying s new Rolex at Berry’s anyway.

I bought more readily available watches from the AD to build rapport ahead of some bigger Rolex purchases.
    I recommend family and friends to the AD and made sure they quoted my name.
    I used the AD for some annual insurance valuations and any servicing work.
    I’ve always offered to pay 10% deposit to show I am serious.

I understand the love for a watch when you want one but Rolex really have got the consumer eating out of their hands, personally my money would always go on pre ceramic so none of the silly waiting lists, just got to do your due diligence correctly..

When I picked up my SDc a couple of years ago I enquired about getting on the list for a ceramic Daytona, and was advised it was rather long. For some reason I decided not to bother and wait a few years. (Surely the initial interest would die down...)

Reading this thread has put me off the thought of even trying to get on a Daytona list now, but I’ll still pop into my local AD next time I’m in town and see what they say.

Master
    I can understand wanting to limit supply to increase demand and build an artificial cachet towards a product however Rolex do seem to have taken this to the extreme, I'm wondering if they are funneling most of their product towards China and/or other markets that have until recently been unavailable and now have considerable spending power. If this is the case then would far eastern duty free and AD's be more likely to have stock in these rarer models? and if so would it be worth a trip (maybe if you had business or leisure plans in the area)?

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by julian2002 View Post
    I can understand wanting to limit supply to increase demand and build an artificial cachet towards a product however Rolex do seem to have taken this to the extreme, I'm wondering if they are funneling most of their product towards China and/or other markets that have until recently been unavailable and now have considerable spending power. If this is the case then would far eastern duty free and AD's be more likely to have stock in these rarer models? and if so would it be worth a trip (maybe if you had business or leisure plans in the area)?
    From all reports I’ve heard, the data doesn’t support the hypothesis. Seems to be a dearth of SS models in Asia just as much as the rest of the world

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by figureeight View Post
    From all reports I’ve heard, the data doesn’t support the hypothesis. Seems to be a dearth of SS models in Asia just as much as the rest of the world
    Fair enough, just a thought. Still I guess at the prices their watches are now commanding, Rolex can play the limited numbers game to their hearts content.

Master
    I'm on the 'Rolex Forum' and 'Rolex Collectors World' on FB with members all over the world. Everyone reports next to no SS models anywhere apart from the usual.

In terms of developing AD relationships, I got an AD's 1st SD43 & new Pepsi. So, I asked about a Daytona C recently and they laughed, actually out loud, and quoted 2-3 years. The new larger case size should be out by then!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 33JS View Post
    In terms of developing AD relationships, I got an AD's 1st SD43 & new Pepsi. So, I asked about a Daytona C recently and they laughed, actually out loud, and quoted 2-3 years. The new larger case size should be out by then!!!
    And I go to the other AD to save fighting with 33JS over watches :P
    Cos we've crossed paths so many times before we knew each other LOL

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by endo View Post
    And I go to the other AD to save fighting with 33JS over watches
    Cos we've crossed paths so many times before we knew each other LOL
    Seems to work, but you've gone 'posh' with your greater spending power...

I'm up against Verv now and it's 2 - 0, though I'm not in for anything else until I rectify my unemployed status!!!

But, notice I got nothing on Tudor's offer to do a small run Limited Edition for us...!!

Seems to work, but you've gone 'posh' with your greater spending power...

I'm up against Verv now and it's 2 - 0, though I'm not in for anything else until I rectify my unemployed status!!!

But, notice I got nothing on Tudor's offer to do a small run Limited Edition for us...!!

I dunno if i'd say "posh", but my love hate relationship with Rolex and the epic price increases (used/new) has pushed me to seek independents where it's easier to justify spending the money, plus it's nice to feel you're part of something and not just a sales figure.
    (although alot, harder to justify the losses if I go by my spreadsheet of doom)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Hasan View Post
    Waste of time ringing Rolex AD’s.... you’ve got to get off your bum and go visit them.

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    Waste of time ringing Rolex AD’s.... you’ve got to get off your bum and go visit them.
    Indeed!

Master
    ADs are in business to make a profit; that is best served by making sure their biggest customers are happy. Being on a 'list' means nothing.
    As a simple example, look at newish Rolex sports models sold on SC. Note how the sellers tend to be serious players, who regularly buy stuff. That's not 'unfair'....it's just sensible behaviour by the AD. He's not responsible for keeping everyone happy, he can't do that. Rolex want their best customers looked after first. Just like any business.

I vaguely recall someone posted that they had jumped up the list by "jumping" one of the sales assistants, just a thought.
    J

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Jardine32 View Post
    I vaguely recall someone posted that they had jumped up the list by "jumping" one of the sales assistants, just a thought.
    J

That was hilarious.

Quote Originally Posted by Nairn1980 View Post
    Indeed!
    I was in WoS on Regent Street last week looking at a less popular Rolex model I quite like and saw a poor chap come in to ask to look at a SS Submariner only for him to be told (obviously) that they don’t have any, that the waiting list is closed and he can’t join it. So going in doesn’t make much of a difference either.

Aside from spending a lot as a regular customer, jumping a sales assistant is probably your best bet as someone said.

A shop close to me do not do waiting lists, they just put them in the window, or they did.

I think this is a better idea, they never know what they are getting until it arrives.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jardine32 View Post
    J

Hahaha - any link?

I vaguely remember a thread similar to that

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by pastrana72 View Post
    A shop close to me do not do waiting lists, they just put them in the window, or they did.

I think this is a better idea, they never know what they are getting until it arrives.
    It's a moot point.

Great idea if you are a stranger wandering past who can buy a watch they don't want to sell at a premium. Not so good for a loyal customer wanting to buy a sought after watch to wear!!

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I just expect it now. Ar*e.