closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: A certainty like death and taxes

Master

A certainty like death and taxes

Every Rolex thread seems to go the same way.

Someone mentions cost Vs price, or other usual negative comments and battle commences.

Their products, service, residuals are good and the company/brand sponsor many of life’s other enjoyable pass times. They’ve never murdered anyone or forced anyone to buy from them.

Nothing new, but musing why, above any other brand, it attracts so much vitriol?

Because they are the strongest brand, and have the most mixed feelings among people who want one, or don't.

If I see a rolex on someone, I assume they appreciate a solid reliable watch that will stand the test of time.

Many will see a show off. Rolex IMO is the most understood, and misunderstood brand in watchmaking - with enthusiasts getting it, and non lovers thinking they are just vulgar or showy.

I don't think they are the only brand that provokes strong opinion, but they may seem like it becuase they are so ubiquitous on here
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

You do realise that this thread will go exactly the same way now you’ve brought it up

By the 500th thread of whining privileged adult-children moaning about some inconsequential aspect to obtaining/ownership/service it does start to grate somewhat.

People complaining that they can't get a spare link for their new toy until tomorrow when they "pop along to St. James" (a rite of passage it seems), or that their silly plastic card has to live in a safe with their AD for 12 months being unacceptable because essentially the novelty will be worn off long before they can liberate it, and they'll need to free up the cash for their next shiny Swiss trinket in about 2 months paints a picture of spoilt little twonks as owners.

This cross-section of owners are utterly blind to the low value proposition of what they are buying (yes, it holds it inflated value well - so what?), yet will go through total humiliation, degradation, and mistreatment in order to get their hands on something so that they can show off on a few forums and impress their mates... and we all have to hear about it ad nauseam.

It's not haute horology, it's the most expensive mass produced brand you can buy, yet the fanboys think it's a pinnacle they've reached, and oh the triumph they feel when they actually get their hands on it, as though that makes them special? Painful.

I appreciate there are some who come from a different perspective, but most of what we hear on the internet is petulant children having a tantrum or wannabes pinning their self-worth on a grotesque steel sports model leaving people with taste filled with pity, to the complete exclusion of any other brand in their appreciation or discussion.

It stinks of buying the brand instead of having the ability to assess a product based on your own eye for quality and design. Just buy the one everybody thinks is the best because you don't know any better.

I'd love to see threads that aren't an out and out hype-fest so others can join in and learn something, but woe betide anyone who dare be critical of their false idols... It will disrupt their belief system too much.

That's basically the situation with Rolex on the internet 2018.
    Last edited by bobbyboy; 1st July 2018 at 18:05.

Quote Originally Posted by bobbyboy View Post
    Thanks.

As someone who has been actively involved in the other thread, I’d like to say that I’ve no issues with the price of a Rolex watch and, as most on here know already, I own a couple.

I’m under no illusion that it somehow costs a lot more to produce a Rolex watch than other watches.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    As someone who has been actively involved in the other thread, I’d like to say that I’ve no issues with the price of a Rolex watch and, as most on here know already, I own a couple.

I’m under no illusion that it somehow costs a lot more to produce a Rolex watch than other watches.

Quote Originally Posted by 200mwaterresistant View Post

Hardly!

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    By the 500th thread of whining privileged adult-children moaning about some inconsequential aspect to obtaining/ownership/service it does start to grate somewhat.

People complaining that they can't get a spare link for their new toy until tomorrow when they "pop along to St. James" (a rite of passage it seems), or that their silly plastic card has to live in a safe with their AD for 12 months being unacceptable because essentially the novelty will be worn off long before they can liberate it, and they'll need to free up the cash for their next shiny Swiss trinket in about 2 months paints a picture of spoilt little twonks as owners.

This cross-section of owners are utterly blind to the low value proposition of what they are buying (yes, it holds it inflated value well - so what?), yet will go through total humiliation, degradation, and mistreatment in order to get their hands on something so that they can show off on a few forums and impress their mates... and we all have to hear about it ad nauseam.

It's not haute horology, it's the most expensive mass produced brand you can buy, yet the fanboys think it's a pinnacle they've reached, and oh the triumph they feel when they actually get their hands on it, as though that makes them special? Painful.

I appreciate there are some who come from a different perspective, but most of what we hear on the internet is petulant children having a tantrum or wannabes pinning their self-worth on a grotesque steel sports model leaving people with taste filled with pity, to the complete exclusion of any other brand in their appreciation or discussion.

It stinks of buying the brand instead of having the ability to assess a product based on your own eye for quality and design. Just buy the one everybody thinks is the best because you don't know any better.

I'd love to see threads that aren't an out and out hype-fest so others can join in and learn something, but woe betide anyone who dare be critical of their false idols... It will disrupt their belief system too much.

You should get a Rolex. Might cheer you up a bit.

I don't wear mine very often or post about it now the novelty of new ownership has passed.

I don't give a stuff about what judgements people make when I do either though.

Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    You should get a Rolex. Might cheer you up a bit.
    Then again..... ;)
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Youre going to get mauled - and deservedly, because your argument is too one dimensional.

Nothing you have said is actually incorrect - in fact you have hit the nail squarely on the head on numerous points in your post - except...

...it is what it is. You pay for what you get and the market is the way it is for a reason.

If you can't justify buying a rolex,.then it's the wrong watch for you. Move along.

Edit:- and l agree with 99% of your post, but my SD is exactly the watch l wanted - l could have bought a budget alternative, but l'd never have been happy.

As it stands, l know lve been ripped off - royally - but l factored that into the purchase.
    Last edited by Umbongo; 1st July 2018 at 19:18.

I find the ubiquitousness of them a bit disappointing.

It's like the universal love for 911s, even amongst people who never have and never will have driven one.

Maybe it's my own bias, but they seem the default choice and exhibit a lack of original thought, which I'm sure in many cases isn't true, the people love the design and have considered alternatives.

But...when you've seen twenty or thirty seemingly identical subs, it's very hard to have much enthusiasm for reading another thread about them (I feel the same about G-shocks though!).

Generally if a thread title features the word Rolex, I give it a miss, this one didn't...

M

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Blog Entries

Which Rolex do you own?

ook

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    I find the ubiquitousness of them a bit disappointing.

It's like the universal love for 911s, even amongst people who never have and never will have driven one.

Maybe it's my own bias, but they seem the default choice and exhibit a lack of original thought, which I'm sure in many cases isn't true, the people love the design and have considered alternatives.

But...when you've seen twenty or thirty seemingly identical subs, it's very hard to have much enthusiasm for reading another thread about them (I feel the same about G-shocks though!).

Generally if a thread title features the word Rolex, I give it a miss, this one didn't...

M

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Agree entirely. Sadly the folk I know who buy a porker or Rolex buy thinking it’s the top of the tree and to show off. Just my experience but it is very off putting and impacts on my feelings towards a brand. It’s the residuals that push a lot of folk towards Rolex and fair play to Rolex for creating this position. Can’t see this changing for a long time either.

Master
    Watch threads about brands I don’t particular like I just don’t comment on. If I do the worst I’ll say is ‘not my thing but congrats’. Thing is with Rolex many people that don’t like them, not only feel the need to say they don’t like them, they do it with a passion, some with an obsessive hatred even. Quite strange really.

Similar to all the ‘I’m not playing the AD game of humiliation to get a watch’ - fine don’t then, but why bang on about it left right and centre. Just move on.

Actually truth is it’s all a compliment to Rolex really.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I've never experienced any humiliation when buying Rolex.
    In fact, I've always been treated well. Its why I go back.
    I suspect that these accusations over the horrors of the crown are nothing more than immature amateur dramatics, which is pretty tiresome.

I admit to being a devotee of the brand. I've studied them obsessively. I've learned about them and I love them. They're my niche as far as collecting goes and despite having experienced a whole bunch of other brands they're the one I wander back to because they fit my style and everything I want in a watch. Not everybody has to understand it and if it makes me a godawful horologically naive showy flash git then so be it.
    There are worse things in the world than the way I'm perceived on a watch forum.

I suspect that these accusations over the horrors of the crown are nothing more than immature amateur dramatics, which is pretty tiresome.

I admit to being a devotee of the brand. I've studied them obsessively. I've learned about them and I love them. They're my niche as far as collecting goes and despite having experienced a whole bunch of other brands they're the one I wander back to because they fit my style and everything I want in a watch. Not everybody has to understand it and if it makes me a godawful horologically naive showy flash git then so be it.
    There are worse things in the world than the way I'm perceived on a watch forum.
    Got no issue with Rolex but stories of £1500 just to get a QUOTE for a service on a slightly older watch does nothing to enhance their reputation really I don’t think. Great watches though.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuno1 View Post
    buy thinking it’s the top of the tree and to show off. .
    Naaaaaar, that's what my Grand Seiko's are for......

Blog Entries
    yum another Rolex thread.

Quite!

I love Rolex, always have, probably, always will. I now have a Daytona but had a Sub no date which I wore daily for 5 years and the Sub is the best watch ever! In 5 years, not a single person noticed it. not one comment, it was just a watch. It was just a watch that gave ME an immense sense of satisfaction every time I looked at it, just pride in ownership I guess. Whe sold (on here) it fetched pretty much what I paid for it all those years earlier and I NEEDE to sell it as I was skint and my dog was poorly and vets are more expensive than Goldsmiths! I always looked at it as: a savings account on my wrist! when I needed it, it was there.

I bought the Daytona (from an AD after a long wait) because I'd always wanted one, but to be honest, the Sub was/is a better watch and certainly suited me better, I shall have another soon and probably wear it daily and sell all my other watches, just as I did last time I had one. The Daytona doesn't 'do it for me' in the same way.

In my 'collection' I have a few watches that I do wear pretty frequently (at the moment) and of them the only ones that Do get mentioned (rarely) are the Breitlings - 1 is a Super Avenger and is utter rubbish and the other, a 'Breitling for Bently Barnato racing' that I bought because I had a Bentley (not any more even worse rubbish!) and they are both big and Brash in different ways and get noticed smply because of their size and heft. When I say 'it's a Breitling' people are always disappointed as it's not a Rolex! Fine by me. :)

Now if you'd stated a Bremont thread.... well....

Craftsman
    It's hard not to like Rolex: timeless designs, bullet-proof movements, excellent post-sales support, robust secondary market. I always recommend Rolex to someone looking buy their first watch. I kick myself daily for not having bought a vintage Sub 10 years ago (though they wear too small on my wrist, I tell myself ;-) )

A certainty like death and taxes

Quote Originally Posted by Loquacious View Post
    Quite!
    the only ones that Do get mentioned (rarely) are the Breitlings - 1 is a Super Avenger and is utter rubbish
    I’m curious as to what makes your Breitlings so bad. Do you mean badly made?

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post
    Got no issue with Rolex but stories of £1500 just to get a QUOTE for a service on a slightly older watch does nothing to enhance their reputation really I don’t think. Great watches though.
    I view that completely differently and I find that it does enhance their reputation.
    If I'm priority fedexing to Geneva with correct insurance and customs value then it's ludicrously expensive. Factor in doing that twice. Or factor in their levels of security when if they use an individual to collect and return. Travel costs.
    Factor in time and effort to go over the watch with a fine tooth comb and assess without damaging fragile dials and hands etc, it's expensive.
    To offer the assessment FOC or for shades under 1k would have them operating at a loss. Good business doesn't do that.

The Hale alternative that they've advised is the cheapest method and they're very bloody good indeed. It takes some transparency for a massive corporation to suggest an independent that they trust to do the work for less than the rolex machine would.
    I prefer that to the cavalier yeah yeah we can do that yeah no problem poo that some companies would spout just to get business.

Journeyman
    I love my vintage GMT-Master as it's a great design and beautifully made. I wouldn't buy a new Rolex though as I personally don't like the diamond encrusted follies they produce because to me it makes Rolex seem more like jewellers rather than serious watchmakers. I much prefer their Tudor brand these days, the Black Bay etc. hark back to the great adventurous tool watch days of Rolex. I guess Rolex is more vintage Bentley vs modern Bentley, whereas Tudor is classic Land Rover vs Modern Defender.
    Last edited by Marcusu; 2nd July 2018 at 08:05. Reason: Typo

That’s a lot of words to use to say very little, and much of that is incorrect. E.G. “Most expensive mass produced watch” not by a considerable margin.
    It's just a matter of time...