closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Qatar World Cup 2022 - anyone planning to go?

Master

Qatar World Cup 2022 - anyone planning to go?

My best friend lives in the UAE and we decided that we would both try to attend the Qatar 2022 world cup.

We've got enough time to plan, his logistic will be easier than mine as he lives in the vicinity.

Having never bought a world cup ticket, how and when can you buy one. I guess it's a lottery. I'm not part of any UK club, or any club for that matter.

Any tips to get hold of tickets let me know.

P.s. would love to watch England play (were both Brits) but any matches will suffice

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Don’t be ridiculous.
    I’m Scottish.

So (1) we won’t qualify and
    (2) 50 deg heat would not end well

Craftsman
    Yep I’m going. Other half getting free tickets as does lots over work with apprenticeships there.

Although they are apparently really far behind with infrastructure.

Master
    God no!
    But then again, I also wouldn't go if it were in my local park, or my garden.

Craftsman
    Maybe if I was there anyway, however, I wouldn't want to pay to watch England play, especially not somewhere like Qatar. Rugby would be a different matter.

Quote Originally Posted by uktotty View Post
    God no!
    But then again, I also wouldn't go if it were in my local park, or my garden.
    Quote Originally Posted by dickdutch View Post
    Maybe if I was there anyway, however, I wouldn't want to pay to watch England play, especially not somewhere like Qatar. Rugby would be a different matter.
    You see I never get this. If football doesn't bother you, why respond?

I can't stand rugby or cricket but wouldn't reply to a thread saying I wouldn't go and watch the rugby world cup etc? Just bizarre

As for Qatar 2022 - good god no. The tournament being held there is just wrong and I won't be surprised if it moves

Master
    I wouldn't go if I was given free VIP tickets.

Qatar should never have been awarded it in my opinion, they just greased the right palms. Totally inappropriate how all the domestic leagues have been cocked up just so we can play it in the winter. A total farce and I hope it blows up in their faces.

Master
    I'm sure you realise that the political situation between Qatar & it's neighbours is very fraught & as such you need to ask yourself how much you're prepared to invest in arrangements for a tournament which may well not go ahead. Given that the Saudis are getting bids to dig a canal to isolate Qatar to turn it into an island & dump nuclear waste on the border you can see that they aren't messing around.

Your mate won't just be hopping over from the UAE although he might be able to get there via Oman or somewhere else neutral. The original plan was that many of the fans would stay in Dubai & fly/drive into Qatar for each match because that's the only way to get over the biggest issue the Qataris have: accomodation. Doha is very small, like really small & there are going to be barely enough hotel rooms for the players & officials, let alone the fans. They are building more but this has been badly hit by the Saudi blockade & just getting enough raw materials is an issue. It's likely that the Qataris will hire as many cruise ships as they can but even that will only hold a few tens of thousands of fans. The other idea (& I kid you not) is to put fans into tents in the desert, selling it as an "authentic Arabian experience". This experience will extend to no alcohol being available by the way.

It's unlikley you'll have any problem getting tickets to the matches (there's usually no problem getting them for the tennis or MotoGP as the arabs only do the prestige executive boxes) but you almost certainly will have issues with accomodation.

The only problem you won't have is the weather as in November it's lovely, although if you are in a tent take a blanket as it gets really cold at night.

Everything might change in four years but if I laid any money out I'd want a cast iron guarantee of getting it back.

Master
    Nope, but I am seriously considering a road trip through Canada and America for the 2026 World Cup. Will be my 50th birthday that year, so good excuse.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kevkojak View Post

Qatar should never have been awarded it in my opinion, they just greased the right palms. Totally inappropriate how all the domestic leagues have been cocked up just so we can play it in the winter. A total farce and I hope it blows up in their faces.
    ^ This .

Quite agree. The whole thing is beyond parody.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

My Speedmaster website:

http://www.freewebs.com/neil271052

I know a few guys who work out there, and the more that I hear of the place, the less I want to go.
    They closed their own social media accounts down, as they know one wrong word equals instant loss of job and deportation (assuming they avoid imprisonment!). Not the kind of place that I want to visit thank you.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    Quite agree. The whole thing is beyond parody.
    Adding myself to the agree list! Even if tickets were free, I would not consider it and it is a complete farce that Qatar have been given it!

Craftsman
    20 years and counting for Scotland in a World Cup, so if they qualify I will certainly go, and take my boy who will be 12 (it’s not like I’d be drinking anyway at £12 for a warm fosters!
    Not an ideal country to host, but at least travel between games would be minimal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon76 View Post
    20 years and counting for Scotland in a World Cup, so if they qualify I will certainly go, and take my boy who will be 12 (it’s not like I’d be drinking anyway at £12 for a warm fosters!
    Not an ideal country to host, but at least travel between games would be minimal.

Dunno about that - if you can’t get accommodation then you could be flying in from another country for each game!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post
    Dunno about that - if you can’t get accommodation then you could be flying in from another country for each game!
    Should’ve mentioned my wife grew up in Qatar she still has family friends out there so accommodation isn’t as big a problem as qualification

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon76 View Post
    Should’ve mentioned my wife grew up in Qatar she still has family friends out there so accommodation isn’t as big a problem as qualification

Global warming and world peace aren’t as big a problem as Scotland qualifying !

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by senwar View Post
    You see I never get this. If football doesn't bother you, why respond?

I can't stand rugby or cricket but wouldn't reply to a thread saying I wouldn't go and watch the rugby world cup etc? Just bizarre

As for Qatar 2022 - good god no. The tournament being held there is just wrong and I won't be surprised if it moves
    So if you were in a pub and your mates were talking about something you didn't enjoy, you'd sit silently?

So if you were in a pub and your mates were talking about something you didn't enjoy, you'd sit silently?
    There are tens of active conversations on TZ - do you have to comment on them all - even on subjects you know nothing about/have no interest in?

+1

Quote Originally Posted by KavKav View Post
    Adding myself to the agree list! Even if tickets were free, I would not consider it and it is a complete farce that Qatar have been given it!
    Aye. Disgusting actually.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I wonder if they will change alcohol rules at the moment you can only buy in the hotels at highly inflated prices, big penalties if you get get caught drinking outside of those premises. I will stop at home and watch.

My next door neighbor as just finished three years working there, and he said the supporters and drink will be a problem unless they change.

Just a personal opinion, but the countries competing to host it should have some history of appearing in it, say a certain number of times or getting to a later stage, quarters, semis or better. Great world cups in England, Germany, France, Spain, Brazil, Argentina etc - complete disaster when they held the 'soccer' World Cup in the US. Yes, they have made a few appearances, but I ask you, Diana Ross as centre forward

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    There are tens of active conversations on TZ - do you have to comment on them all - even on subjects you know nothing about/have no interest in?
    Are you telling me there's something wrong with me taking part in discussions on this forum?

Are you telling me there's something wrong with me taking part in discussions on this forum?
    No, but I'm thinking your analogy in the pub is a poor one.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    No, but I'm thinking your analogy in the pub is a poor one.
    Is that because you don't understand it? Is it the concept of mates?

Was just in Bahrain with someone (Bahraini) who had just been to Russia for the World Cup he said he just couldn’t see it working in Qatar at all and unless they make amends with the other GCC countries who are meant to co-host quickly he couldn’t see they infrastructure being anything like ready although he thought it was just too much a clash of cultures for Qatar.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Haha. Yes that’s exactly it.... great great analogy

No. It’s more like saying if your mates were going to a game of rugby and you go just so you could moan about it.

Is that because you don't understand it? Is it the concept of mates?
    No, it's just plain stupid, stupid.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by senwar View Post
    Haha. Yes that’s exactly it.... great great analogy

No. It’s more like saying if your mates were going to a game of rugby and you go just so you could moan about it.
    Haha

Journeyman
    You can buy booze in Qatar from the "shop" but you'll need a residents permit and a car to travel to the only one there.

I lived there for about 18 months, best thing I did moving to Dubai as soon as I could.

Blog Entries
    No intentions for that. However, tonight at the dinner table, we discussed a trip to the 2024 Paris Olympics. 7 years from now, but time will fly. No doubt.

Do they issue drinking permits to Muslims? (Non practicing ) but having Muslim names could cause grief.

Quote Originally Posted by hilly10 View Post
    I wonder if they will change alcohol rules at the moment you can only buy in the hotels at highly inflated prices, big penalties if you get get caught drinking outside of those premises. I will stop at home and watch.

My next door neighbor as just finished three years working there, and he said the supporters and drink will be a problem unless they change.
    I'm sure they'll have to. The fan parks are a huge part of the event, and Budweiser a major sponsor. The rules will bend for the duration of the tournament.

This.
    "A man of little significance"

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewcregan View Post
    I know a few guys who work out there, and the more that I hear of the place, the less I want to go.
    They closed their own social media accounts down, as they know one wrong word equals instant loss of job and deportation (assuming they avoid imprisonment!). Not the kind of place that I want to visit thank you.
    I have worked in the gulf for over 25yrs and Qatar is one of the better gulf countries, Drink no problem, universal free health care for all (the only gulf country to provide this) no head or hand chopping etc. and remember all this talk of slavery etc is strange because most companies are international and many are British or British run. The UAE is far worse and saudi is should be flushed away.
    Wasn't Russia going to be a death trap for our supporters ? amazing what targeted propaganda can do.

maybe something like this for the authentic arabian experience:

Quote Originally Posted by andrewcregan View Post
    I keep hearing this Andrew but wonder how plausible it is. Can ‘they’ really monitor every word of every message from every person?

The same was was said to be true of Russia but an official recently squashed the story saying “do you have any idea how much manpower that would take?”

So I think maybe the fear is sufficient.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by eagletower View Post
    Do they issue drinking permits to Muslims? (Non practicing ) but having Muslim names could cause grief.
    I'm pretty sure you'd struggle to be fair. I have non-practicing friends that couldnt get one - no such thing as an Athiest on the forms either.

Qatar is ok to be fair, just a lot more conservative than UAE. They take their sports pretty seriously though - I went to the Italian Super Cup, Juve vs Napoli, a few years back. The Qatar Tennis Masters too. No alcohol though.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    I keep hearing this Andrew but wonder how plausible it is. Can ‘they’ really monitor every word of every message from every person?

The same was was said to be true of Russia but an official recently squashed the story saying “do you have any idea how much manpower that would take?”

So I think maybe the fear is sufficient.
    Yes they can, very easily. For instance there are only two mobile phone companies & all traffic is relayed to the government security department (Vodafone has stated that only two countries in the world require this). Qatar is very small so the problem of monitoring the population is not difficult, bearing in mind the UK does it for 60 odd million of us. Of course in fact they aren't hugely interested in westerners as they have much more interest in tracking those from the sub-continent. As long as you don't cause trouble you are quite free to drink, watch hooky streams via VPN & pick up hookers in the bars. Just like here really.

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    Just a personal opinion, but the countries competing to host it should have some history of appearing in it, say a certain number of times or getting to a later stage, quarters, semis or better. Great world cups in England, Germany, France, Spain, Brazil, Argentina etc - complete disaster when they held the 'soccer' World Cup in the US. Yes, they have made a few appearances, but I ask you, Diana Ross as centre forward
    I can see the reasoning behind that argument, but having attended the World Cup in South Africa it would be a shame if those type of rules had been in place to prevent that.

I thoroughly enjoyed it, even if it did introduce vuvuzelas as a result!

Quote Originally Posted by Trent View Post
    I'm pretty sure you'd struggle to be fair. I have non-practicing friends that couldnt get one - no such thing as an Athiest on the forms either.

Qatar is ok to be fair, just a lot more conservative than UAE. They take their sports pretty seriously though - I went to the Italian Super Cup, Juve vs Napoli, a few years back. The Qatar Tennis Masters too. No alcohol though.
    I hate the idea of being dictated to whether I can drink or not . I’m not a raving alcoholic but I like a drink and don’t trust myself not to have one if I go.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by eagletower View Post
    I hate the idea of being dictated to whether I can drink or not . I’m not a raving alcoholic but I like a drink and don’t trust myself not to have one if I go.
    Where are you going to get it from? I'm not sure you understand what it's like in Qatar. There's one shop that sells alcohol & you won't get in without a residence permit. There's no alcohol on sale in shops anywhere. You can buy alcohol in the bars in the hotels (all bars are attached to hotels) but you cannot take it out, and there are bouncers on the door to stop anyone who tries. The same bouncers scan your passport on the way in to the bar by the way. Unless the Qataris change their minds & allow alcohol to be sold at the grounds you will have difficulty getting hold of it:

https://www.alaraby.co.uk/english/ne...up-alcohol-ban

Master
    Been three years since i started this thread, anyone changed their minds about going? Covid has really thrown a spanner in the works!

After Englands euro performance, im excited to see what they do in the World Cup!

Tickets not released yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Estoril-5 View Post
    Been three years since i started this thread, anyone changed their minds about going? Covid has really thrown a spanner in the works!

After Englands euro performance, im excited to see what they do in the World Cup!

Tickets not released yet.
    Join the England Supporters Travel club - it costs a bit BUT they will be a good source for tickets.

We have an office in Dubai so plan to use Dubai as base & travel into Qatar......& get out quick (not that Dubai is much better tbh!)

Craftsman
    How are they doing with infrastructure etc? I would love to go.

Sent from my SM-T510 using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by paul360m View Post
    Join the England Supporters Travel club - it costs a bit BUT they will be a good source for tickets.

We have an office in Dubai so plan to use Dubai as base & travel into Qatar......& get out quick (not that Dubai is much better tbh!)
    If it happens that will be the plan for us also, stay in dubai, and fly to Doha for the match(es), maybe a night there if accommodation is possible.

Quote Originally Posted by rdesouza View Post
    How are they doing with infrastructure etc? I would love to go.

Sent from my SM-T510 using TZ-UK mobile app
    Have no idea, once FIFA release tickets i guess thats some level of assurance although no guarantee by any means

Master
    Blog Entries
    Hope they have enough jails to hold the Engerland Massive when they are pissed and cannot get a drink outside their hotel. Total farce holding it there, hardly Carbon Neutral having to aircon vast stadium’s. I hope it’s a total shambles to be honest, should get some fun from news reports on fans behaviour etc

There’s is a reason why the World Cup as never been held in the Middle East. To unstable for Westerners to enjoy themselves and it’s to hot
    Last edited by hilly10; 26th August 2021 at 15:29.

It's in November isn't it? Weather won't be too much of a problem unless they play at 1pm local time.

Sent from my Lenovo K12 Note using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Surely, this is a thread that should be in the bear pit …

z