closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Insurance valuation

Craftsman

Insurance valuation

It’s a subject that probably comes up a lot, but it’s insurance renewal time and they need a valuation, has any ever used these people, www.ivaluer.co.uk, or any other online valuation service?

To be honest I'd change to an insurer who doesn't ask for valuations, thus saving yourself time, trouble and expense...

Simon

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by mycroft View Post
    To be honest I'd change to an insurer who doesn't ask for valuations, thus saving yourself time, trouble and expense...

Simon
    Agreed.

A few years ago I asked goldsmiths (not the best place to go in hindsight , i know) if they could provide an insurance valuation for watches bought from them.

They wanted to send them away for “evaluation” and wanted to charge something like £100 a go. This was for current watches they had sitting on display with price tags, which clearly is the new for old replacement cost!

My current insurer (Nfu mutual) simply accepts my word on the replacement cost which is basically the current new rrp of the same or equivalent model. I can only see it being more complicated with vintage models.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by D4RW1N View Post
    Agreed.

A few years ago I asked goldsmiths (not the best place to go in hindsight , i know) if they could provide an insurance valuation for watches bought from them.

They wanted to send them away for “evaluation” and wanted to charge something like £100 a go. This was for current watches they had sitting on display with price tags, which clearly is the new for old replacement cost!

My current insurer (Nfu mutual) simply accepts my word on the replacement cost which is basically the current new rrp of the same or equivalent model. I can only see it being more complicated with vintage models.
    An alternative would be a good idea, but isn’t really an option.

What happens if your watch has gone up in value, so the rrp of a replacement isn’t enough?

Craftsman
    I am in this boat too, does anyone have a good experience getting a jewellers valuation for insurance?

I will look into m&s and the other suggestions when the current term runs out, but stuck with the incumbents at the moment.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by dickdutch View Post
    An alternative would be a good idea, but isn’t really an option.

What happens if your watch has gone up in value, so the rrp of a replacement isn’t enough?
    Not sure actually but an interesting question. I did overhear a conversation in goldsmiths with someone trying to get an insurance valuation for a Daytona he had just bought (elsewhere) for c£16k. Goldsmiths would only quote a replacement value of the rrp which is clearly much less than the market value in order to get an immediate replacement.

Not sure if other valuers would be prepared to value at grey market price rather than ad official rrp, which then gets you in to the whole list debacle to obtain a replacement!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by D4RW1N View Post
    Not sure actually but an interesting question. I did overhear a conversation in goldsmiths with someone trying to get an insurance valuation for a Daytona he had just bought (elsewhere) for c£16k. Goldsmiths would only quote a replacement value of the rrp which is clearly much less than the market value in order to get an immediate replacement.

Not sure if other valuers would be prepared to value at grey market price rather than ad official rrp, which then gets you in to the whole list debacle to obtain a replacement!
    Easily dealt with, but it requires a discussion with insurers before the inception of cover. Competent ones are well aware of the situation and will usually agree the basis of cover without too much difficulty. My own insurance premiums are a six-figure sum every year; I work quite a lot on claims, straight and bent, and recoveries. One thing I have learned is that underwriters are generally very happy to offer cover and indeed pay out provided there has been full disclosure and understanding of value at risk at the right time.

H

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by greenandblack View Post
    I am in this boat too, does anyone have a good experience getting a jewellers valuation for insurance?

I will look into m&s and the other suggestions when the current term runs out, but stuck with the incumbents at the moment.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    Depending on where in London you are, CS Bedford in Ruislip are good. I've not had mine done for a while so I forget what they charge.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave O'Sullivan View Post
    Depending on where in London you are, CS Bedford in Ruislip are good. I've not had mine done for a while so I forget what they charge.
    Thanks Dave, I work near Shepherds Bush so there are a few jewellers in Westfield I was going to ask after work - is it a fairly standard ask of them and they’ll have a fixed price or negotiable?

Craftsman
    Bit of a thread bump... but did you get anywhere? I need a valuation for my insurance of a Rolex 1665, 1972 Speedmaster Pro and an 80's rolex date... my local jeweler said he cant do it and couldnt recommend anybody to! I'm in London so I'd have assumed it would be fairly easy.