closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: White Faced Explorer 2 216570

Master

White Faced Explorer 2 216570

I've always had black faced divers until now, SMP 2254.50 & CWC RN, but the white face Explorer is really growing on me. Can I ask owners how happy they are with their watches & what they are like to live with as daily wearers over time. If I went for one it'd be my first Rolex & my first white non diver so the stakes are high - all views welcome.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by DeepCWCDeskDiver View Post
    I've always had black faced divers until now, SMP 2254.50 & CWC RN, but the white face Explorer is really growing on me. Can I ask owners how happy they are with their watches & what they are like to live with as daily wearers over time. If I went for one it'd be my first Rolex & my first white non diver so the stakes are high - all views welcome.

Thanks.
    This may help: https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...rer-ii-at-list

I used to own one and I liked it but the GMTC is much nicer IMHO so I traded it for one of those, depends how much you want a White dial I suppose.

I loved mine and then someone on here mentioned it had clown hands and I couldn't unsee them after that. They are just a bit too thick. The black dial hands are much nicer.

I also have a GMTIIc and that has stayed while the EXPII went.

Master
    I've owned the black dial 216570 for a few years.. and still love it. Tried black and white versions on at a local AD, and also a GMTc. Had expected to buy the GMT before my visit.. but I preferred the brushed finish of the Explorer 2.
    The white was striking and would have been excellent for the summer, but I thought the black was the better all rounder for me.
    Although it's a larger case than before, I find its profile still lends itself to being worn under a cuff easily.

There’s just something not quite right about the 216570.

Master
    "When polyester pants aren't enough, adventurers rely on an Explorer II."

Rolex advertising line in National Geographic, April 2012.

Last edited by Haywood_Milton; 25th June 2018 at 18:33.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by AM94 View Post
    Great, thanks. I'm new here & not up to speed on search etc.

Master
    Thanks for the replies. I actually like the big hands, my CWC's hands always look small after the SMP.
    I know what people mean by it's not quite right, but it's growing on me despite being unconventional. How do you see the value going? It seems to be perceived as being in the shadow of the Sub & GMT to a degree.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DeepCWCDeskDiver View Post
    Thanks for the replies. I actually like the big hands, my CWC's hands always look small after the SMP.
    I know what people mean by it's not quite right, but it's growing on me despite being unconventional. How do you see the value going? It seems to be perceived as being in the shadow of the Sub & GMT to a degree.
    I have the white Exp2 and it's fast becoming my daily wearer. Best thing is to spot one an AD and try it on.

If values were very important to me I'd buy a £200 watch. Then the most I could lose is £200!

ook

Craftsman

Wink

I think it's always been in the shadow value wise but then doesn't that just make them a good buy?!

Or perhaps the only buy seeing as it's just about the only sports model you'll see in an AD's window these days!

Craftsman
    Mine is on my wrist as I type. Saw the watch in dealers window, tried it on and the deal was done. My first Rolex and certainly will stay in my small collection. Try it on you will not be disappointed.

As I said on the other thread, I wear mine often and it sits alongside modern and vintage in an eclectic watch collection. In spite of being the most mainstream of my watches, I have no desire to sell it and yet I have shifted every other Rolex I own.

Try one and make your own mind up but it is certainly a model I’d recommend.

OP, have you considered the gen 1 Explorer II? I have a white dialled (Polar) and it can't be beaten for a daily imo. I rotate it with an Omega PO and always love it's stint on the wrist. It's 39 mm is inconspicuous and its thin case makes it ideal, plus in BST the GMT hand at least has a albeit semi interesting function. A used Expl. II may make it less of a big buy too if this is your first Rolex?
    Last edited by FellBasher; 25th June 2018 at 21:08.

Have it for over a Year now. It is probably my favorite watch to wear these days, not because it's Rolex or special in any way but it's so damn comfortable. To me, the proportions and size, weight are perfect. I love that fact that it isn't your typical Rolex (white 'n' orange?!?) so it flies under the radar the whole time. And I'm a bigger guy so 42 is optimal in my book.

Few more shots of it

Oh and the Lume? Yeah, that one pops!

Master
    The problem with the white face 216570 is that is very photogenic but unfortunately looks nothing as good in real life.

The black face looks poor in a pic but bloody fantastic in real life.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    The problem with the white face 216570 is that is very photogenic but unfortunately looks nothing as good in real life.

The black face looks poor in a pic but bloody fantastic in real life.
    Well, that's very individual. In my eyes black face Explorer 2 looks nothing like a Polar. Just lacks character and that funky feel of white dial and orange hand. Also the two tone hands are so-so when you see them upclose.
    Like i said, very individual...

Master
    Had mine about three months now I think. At first it felt really big after wearing ±40mm watches for so long. But i very quickly got used to the size. Mine gets worn about 50% of the time as it's my work watch when I'm away in other time zones. I think it's the perfect combo of complication and design. The black face is just a bit boring. Sure, the hands are painted (lacquered?) and you don't get that white gold sheen, but as far as I'm concerned it's a non-issue.

Bracelet is comfy and practical. Although I don't think I'll ever find a clasp as good as the micro adjust on my Pelagos. Mines sitting on Orange Isofrane for the summer and it's just great.

Master
    What the pictures above show is that the white faced EXP2 is very versatile, looks good on a NATO or a good rubber strap as well as on the bracelet. I have had mine over 5 years now, and awaiting its return from a service and new crystal, hope that it looks like new. In the meantime, one more EXP2 pic, this time on an orange NATO.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by FellBasher View Post
    OP, have you considered the gen 1 Explorer II? I have a white dialled (Polar) and it can't be beaten for a daily imo. I rotate it with an Omega PO and always love it's stint on the wrist. It's 39 mm is inconspicuous and its thin case makes it ideal, plus in BST the GMT hand at least has a albeit semi interesting function. A used Expl. II may make it less of a big buy too if this is your first Rolex?
    Thanks. Yes, I googled the Explorer 1. It's a nice piece but I think I prefer the Exp. 2. I've got big wrists & 39mm might be a little small. I will follow advice & see what it looks like on the wrist.

How about a Milgauss White faced GV just if you want an undercover watch.
    I have a black faced GV, it's been a daily wearer for nearly 4 years.
    I like the Explorer but not enough to buy one, having just ordered a Field Engineer Offshore Professional that has a white face and I'm sure will be my new daily wearer.

Go by what you like, sod the value as it is priceless whilst you wear it. The value when you sell is a bonus.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Robsmck View Post
    What the pictures above show is that the white faced EXP2 is very versatile, looks good on a NATO or a good rubber strap as well as on the bracelet. I have had mine over 5 years now, and awaiting its return from a service and new crystal, hope that it looks like new. In the meantime, one more EXP2 pic, this time on an orange NATO.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    Loving that.

Master
    My only Rolex is the white faced 216570 and as previously said on here it's comfortable and at 42mm it's better for those who don't have girly wrists.

It is different and you are unlikely to spot one unlike the Sub.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Nono View Post
    Well, that's very individual. In my eyes black face Explorer 2 looks nothing like a Polar. Just lacks character and that funky feel of white dial and orange hand. Also the two tone hands are so-so when you see them upclose.
    Like i said, very individual...
    Yes that is very true but everyone has to admit that the white 216570 is very photogenic, probably the most photogenic Rolex ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    Yes that is very true but everyone has to admit that the white 216570 is very photogenic, probably the most photogenic Rolex ever.
    Can't argue with that