closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Which home gaming platform?

Which home gaming platform?

With the need to stay at home for at least the next 3 weeks, I'm considering buying some kind of gaming platform, X Box or Playstation etc.

I'd like to play DVDs too as we have a load of old films in the loft but haven't had a player for years.

I don't want to spend too much but would prefer something new so I have a warranty.

I used to have an X Box around 17 or 18 years ago, with a few games, mainly 1st person shooter, Formula 1, Moto GP etc, so just. I'm not a big gamer but it would help pass a little time.

Looking on line everything has moved on so much it's a little confusing. One question is do I need a modern TV as I'd intend to use it in the conservatory where the set is about 6 years old now, although I do have a good WiFi connection.

Recommendations for the hardware and any games too would be appreciated.

Many thanks,
    Steve.

Sent from my SM-T800 using TZ-UK mobile app

I personally would go for an Xbox One. Not only can you play games but also watch BluRay/DVD's.

In addition you can download apps - catchup TV, Iplayer, Amazon Prime TV, PLex, SkyGo.

My son has a Playstation4 but this seems a bit more restrictive in what you can do

I've dug out my original Wii. Lots of old games for it, many that will help us to get some exercise whilst having fun. Better than just sitting in front of a screen even if the graphics are, well, ancient to put it mildly.

Just need to find my Wii Fit board now.
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

For the Xbox, as far as the TV goes, your set needs an HDMI input. You'll also need some way of physically connecting the box to your router - it doesn't 'do' wifi. I use a fast homeplug, which seems to work fine. Downloading games takes a long time. We have a fast internet connection, but even with that it took about a day for a game to download. The connection seemed to be throttled at the Microsoft end.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Incredible Sulk View Post
    For the Xbox, as far as the TV goes, your set needs an HDMI input. You'll also need some way of physically connecting the box to your router - it doesn't 'do' wifi.
    Xbox One, PS4 and Nintendo Switch all have integrated wifi. The Xbox One and PS4 also have ethernet ports. The Xbox 360 did not have Wifi however.

To OP, it sounds like you don't have any particular brand allegiance, or friends with specific platforms wishing to play online games with, so I would suggest you buy an Xbox as you may be slightly more familiar with the controller based on your previous experience. I have all of the above platforms and tend to use the Xbox at all times except for PS4 exclusive titles.

Note that both platforms require monthly (or annual) subscription to play online but again it sounds like it's probably not of interest to you.

A 6 year old TV will have HDMI and that is what will be provided with the machine so you're all good there.

Master
    ied also have a look at Nvidia Shield good overall set up with gaming pad. No physical games though its all streaming

I would get a Nintendo Switch. There are some amazing games including Zelda Breath of the Wild, Super Mario Odyssey and Animal Crossing.

Alternatively I’d get an XBox One X (which is the most powerful current console) with Game Pass.

I have a Switch and PS4 Pro.
    Last edited by Phil Lee; 24th March 2020 at 10:57.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Griswold View Post
    I've dug out my original Wii. Lots of old games for it, many that will help us to get some exercise whilst having fun. Better than just sitting in front of a screen even if the graphics are, well, ancient to put it mildly.

Just need to find my Wii Fit board now.
    I did exactly the same over the weekend, I was surprised how much fun it was and my 6 year old just loves the boxing on Wii Sports. Didn’t know she could be quite so violent! :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Hammond View Post
    Xbox One, PS4 and Nintendo Switch all have integrated wifi. The Xbox One and PS4 also have ethernet ports. The Xbox 360 did not have Wifi however.
    My bad. The rather basic instructions that come with the Xbox One only shows a wired connection. However, I've just had a look at the network settings in the setup screen on the box itself and it does indeed have a wifi option. The option is however disabled if you've plugged in a wired connection, so it never asks you to join a wireless network.

Sorry for unintentionally misleading people.

MAME for me - old school arcade games - bit of Double Dragon this lunch time.

Got the PS4 a few years ago and recently downloaded the free Call of Duty Warzone after a couple of friends recommended it. It's a bit of a steep learning curve for someone who has never played any battle royale game but it got really good after getting the hang of it.

Also played Overcooked with the wife which led to a small dispute... but we got over it.

I would go PS4 (XBOX One is very similar, I just have stuck with Sony's offerings).

If I could pick one game: Red Dead Redemption 2.

If I could pick a second game: Last of Us (Remastered). It is old, re-make of original PS3 game but still looks magnificent. Playing it again ready for Last of Us 2 which is due in May.

Xbox one
    You can pick a used model up for £100

Games again either used it downloaded cheaply

Easy to integrate with other players

As ever thanks to everyone who took the time to respond. No brand allegiance just wanting something that is easy to set up and play. Not interested in playing on line with others just a couple of hours blasting a few Zombies or pretending to be Casey Stoner caning it around Phillip Island on a Ducati.

Sent from my SM-T800 using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    PS4 is great, plays Blu Rays, DVD, MP3, loads of TV services, netflix, iplayer, blah blah blah

Don't forget Steam for the desktop. There's hundreds of games on that if you prefer keyboard and mouse instead of a controller. Also if you download a game but find you don't like it, you can easily get a refund if you've played less than 2 hours of it. It doesn't usually take me as long as that to decide. A lot of games will need a well specced computer but there's still many excellent ones that don't. Half Life 2, for example.

Master
    As I said in the Xbox thread Gamepass is a genius thing for you to have a ready built library at minimal cost. PS4 has some v good single player games but I'd go with Xbox in these "not bothered which" situations just because you get so much to try if you have not really kept up to date with what there is.

Master
    Aren’t they bringing out new Xbox and PlayStation soon. Will the older versions still play current games?

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    I went with PS4. Then got the car headset which is pretty cool. Wipeout, Rez and a PS+ subscription and you’re set. Last month we got sims 4, all the bioshock games and firewall for the price of the subscription. This month was sonic and something else not rubbish I can’t remember. Well worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    PS4. I don't know anyone who owns an Xbox one.

A while back we stayed at a cottage that had a games room with a PS4 and an Xbox one. My son was desperate to play assassin's creed on the Xbox so I had to get it going. It was a right pain to use.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodder View Post
    Aren’t they bringing out new Xbox and PlayStation soon. Will the older versions still play current games?
    In the case of the Xbox - yes all existing Xbox One including the backwards compat original Xbox and Xbox 360 games will work. In the case of Sony - it was a bit woolly in so far as they were testing the top 100 played PS4 initially. But either console will be pretty pricey so unless you are a more hardcore gamer the cost might be something to make you think twice. Though there is a rumoured Lockheart Xbox console at a cheaper price point but yet to be confirmed.

The normal advice is get the console that has the single player games you want to play or that all your mates have if you are going to play online. The vast majority of game sales are multiplatform anyway not console exclusives. In the OPs case either console would probably do since they will both have, in effect, new games to him. Just that Gamepass gives you the biggest range of game to play without buying any.

Master
    I have both (the pro versions) , in use they both do exactly the same things , one is no better than the other.

Its about the exclusives (xbox having halo is a big deal to me) , Uncharted and Last of Us is about all I needed the PS4 for.

The Xbox controller is miles better than the PS4 one IMO.

Both are outstanding bits of kit , online capabilities are the same , both have their annoyances.

I generally use the xbox more than the PS4 and buy more games for it.

DO NOT BUY STADIA...absolute garbage even on a gigabit connection ; nice controller though .

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.D View Post
    I have both (the pro versions) , in use they both do exactly the same things , one is no better than the other.

Its about the exclusives (xbox having halo is a big deal to me) , Uncharted and Last of Us is about all I needed the PS4 for.
    The XBox One X is quite a bit faster than the PS4 Pro in identical titles. It has a more powerful GPU. Titles like The Witcher 3 run in native 4K on the XBox One X but at a slightly lower resolution on the PS4 Pro.

You are right about the exclusives. I loved playing God of War.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.D View Post
    DO NOT BUY STADIA...absolute garbage even on a gigabit connection ; nice controller though .
    Mine works fine on my 50Mbps 4G router connection

Still prefer playing COD-MW on the PS4 Pro though

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by amnesia View Post
    Mine works fine on my 50Mbps 4G router connection

Still prefer playing COD-MW on the PS4 Pro though
    Its not the connection its the stadia servers if you ask me. Even over a hardline connection Stadia is a poor experience.