closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Honda Type R GT 2018

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by jameswrx View Post
    Looks ok in black but then the one everyone is dissing here is the newer model isn’t it.

People saying it’d be ok if you were under 30... I think it’d have been too much for me at 18, let alone nearing my 30’s! But then I had a mk1 golf gti when I was 18, pretty understated hot hatch.

My main gripe with these fandango looking cars is the lack of function. I don’t mind a vent or hole but it’s all this fake stuff I hate. The ‘mesh’ on the bumper of the new type r for example, why!

I remember when the mk2 focus rs came out & my mate brought t round to show me. Fake carbon, fake vents and horrible looking sliding brake calipers. Years ago performance cars had substance now it seems they look as mass produced as the base models.
    My neighbour has one of these and the sound is really nice. Dry raspy and loud. Kids always call it the space car goes like the proverbial though. He's embarrassed about the stick on plastic too.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Liner33 View Post
    I owned the Superb with that engine it wasn't that great and can't see it being any better in the Kodiak
    Interesting. Seems to have a good amount of oomph based on the Sabine Shmitz video I watched.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MTM84 View Post
    Interesting. Seems to have a good amount of oomph based on the Sabine Shmitz video I watched.
    I think he meant the Diesel engine.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    I think he meant the Diesel engine.
    Me too...Sabine took the forthcoming diesel VRS Kodiaq around the Ring.

Banned
    Blog Entries

A3VT!

How does one get from the Manga Special wíld Honda GT TYe R to a diesel Skoda allroad as alternatives?

Ok, so the stick on plastic is Marmite but that is both a matter of taste ánd personal so what the nót owners think is?????

There seems to be no doubt that the car is seriousy GOOD ánd practical.

Quality of life is all to often burdened, limited by things outside of your control. This needs not be one of those.
    I say that if it pushes your buttins OP, whichever those are, then AT3VT!, go for it!!

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Huertecilla View Post

Ok, so the stick on plastic is Marmite but that is both a matter of taste ánd personal so what the nót owners think is?????
    It's not marmite, it's ROBOT PARTS! I'm telling you, these things are transformers!!

We agreed a pretty good deal on a demo FK8 this week in our preferred colour Polished Metal. We should collect it in about ten days time. Looking forward to exploring Snowdonia more over the holidays in this road mauler

Congrats, you are going to love it

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mondie View Post
    We agreed a pretty good deal on a demo FK8 this week in our preferred colour Polished Metal. We should collect it in about ten days time. Looking forward to exploring Snowdonia more over the holidays in this road mauler
    Great stuff - looking forward to hearing how you get on 😀

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Congrats!

Make sure you try what happens on the óther side of the limit on a wet Sunday morning in an empty industrial estate. Better find out where it does no harm than on a narrow mountain track with the berm dropping off steeply.

Have fun!!

Master
    I parted with my Golf R estate after around 21 months. It was a great car in many ways but as some have hinted at, I found it a bit dull once the initial ‘new car’ excitement wore off. It was more than fast enough for my needs and I did enjoy driving it but it lacked involvement. Excitement only really came for me at silly speeds.

I had an M135I back in 2013 which I kept for about a year. Unlike many who sing the praises of RWD cars, I just didn’t enjoy driving it, especially in anything other than dry weather. I imagine the x drive version would be more suited to me but a bit like the R, I found the BMW pretty boring to look at after a while.

Looking back at previous cars and indeed, my current car (UP GTI), I seem to have a lot more fun in slower, lighter and cheaper manual cars (including Abarth 595, Clio 197 and Corsa VXR) which I can thrash and still keep my license.

That said, my wife and I are keen to have a look at the forthcoming Skoda Kodiaq VRS which I think looks superb. Again, the deals might leave a lot to be desired.
    Agree with all of this.

Once I'd put my foot to the floor a few times from stand still the R was never exciting again. I did like the complete package of the car though. I also had an M135i which I lasted just over a year with. A lovely engine ruined by being bolted to an average car with some of the most poorly judged steering and suspension ever fitted to a performance car.

I've also gone down the slower, lighter and cheaper manual car route now the Cupra is going back. Very cheap in my case. I picked up an early r53 Mini Cooper S which just seems to be more fun more of the time compared to any of the recent hot hatches I've owned.

Quote Originally Posted by JonRA View Post
    Great stuff - looking forward to hearing how you get on 
    Thanks, fella's, I will keep you updated once we have got the car and got some miles under her. I haven't been this excited about buying a car for a long time.

I parted with my Golf R estate after around 21 months. It was a great car in many ways but as some have hinted at, I found it a bit dull once the initial ‘new car’ excitement wore off. It was more than fast enough for my needs and I did enjoy driving it but it lacked involvement. Excitement only really came for me at silly speeds.

I had an M135I back in 2013 which I kept for about a year. Unlike many who sing the praises of RWD cars, I just didn’t enjoy driving it, especially in anything other than dry weather. I imagine the x drive version would be more suited to me but a bit like the R, I found the BMW pretty boring to look at after a while.

Looking back at previous cars and indeed, my current car (UP GTI), I seem to have a lot more fun in slower, lighter and cheaper manual cars (including Abarth 595, Clio 197 and Corsa VXR) which I can thrash and still keep my license.

That said, my wife and I are keen to have a look at the forthcoming Skoda Kodiaq VRS which I think looks superb. Again, the deals might leave a lot to be desired.
    Exactly my own experience.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Thanks, fella's, I will keep you updated once we have got the car and got some miles under her. I haven't been this excited about buying a car for a long time.
    Congrats! Looking forward to some snaps from Dolgellau, Bewts-y-Coed and Trawsfynydd - drivers paradise :)
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Aahhh the A470, a drivers paradise We are spolit for choice in NW

So I confessed earlier in this thread how much I liked these and that I would look at buying one at some point

Well last weekend I made the mistake of looking at one at a Honda dealer, it wouldn't take Sherlock Holmes to work out what happened next!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Montybaber View Post
    So I confessed earlier in this thread how much I liked these and that I would look at buying one at some point

Well last weekend I made the mistake of looking at one at a Honda dealer, it wouldn't take Sherlock Holmes to work out what happened next!
    Have you taken delivery yet?

You need heavily tinted windows to drive cars like these.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Smith View Post
    You need heavily tinted windows to drive cars like these.
    Or just be not bothered what people think and go with the heart

Quote Originally Posted by JonRA View Post
    Have you taken delivery yet?
    No I pick it up in a few weeks can't wait!

I know many hate the looks but I couldn't care less really, I buy what I like

No I pick it up in a few weeks can't wait!

I know many hate the looks but I couldn't care less really, I buy what I like

Congratulations you will love it

Quote Originally Posted by awright101 View Post
    Congratulations you will love it
    Thank you I am sure I will, looks like I may be the only championship white owner on TZ

Yes, the looks are aggressive and overstyled to some, but in the flesh they look fantastic.
    There was a grey one in our Aldi car park, have to say it's a looker 😉
    I've a 1.8S which I love and may consider the Type R when I'm done with this.

I think they are too Rod (from most angles)

Thank you I am sure I will, looks like I may be the only championship white owner on TZ
    Well done Monty, we got ours just before Xmas. I am stunned at how good it is, and I have owned a lot of performance cars over the years! The way it handles, steers and brakes still has me shaking my head. You will love it.

IMG_20181227_145505aa by Simon Gee, on Flickr

Craftsman
    Lovely colour!

It had to be grey for us to tone the loutish looks down a little, it does a good job of masking some of the vents too.

I think they are too Rod (from most angles)

Well done Monty, we got ours just before Xmas. I am stunned at how good it is, and I have owned a lot of performance cars over the years! The way it handles, steers and brakes still has me shaking my head.
    Beautiful colour, in fact I don't think it looks bad in any that I have seen

For once all the colours look great. Great car

Master
    Blog Entries
    My FK2 is Championship White - I love the look and the heritage link too.

Mondie's grey also looks fantastic!

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Aha!

I drove past a white one of these on the M25 the other day and was actively wondering what it was (which I rarely do with cars)
    Liked it.

Craftsman
    You still enjoying your FK8 Mondie? I’m seriously considering one in the near future. It’s between another Golf R which was great but a bit bland or the Type R, which for obvious reasons is rather different
    Last edited by MTM84; 1st January 2020 at 14:27.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    I think it looks fantastic, I’m 48 but still a boy racer at heart. I probably wouldn’t actually buy one though.
    Same, and I'm 59

You still enjoying your FK8 Mondie? I’m seriously considering one in the near future. It’s between another Golf R which was great but a bit bland or the Type R, which for obvious reasons is rather different
    Yes still loving it a year in. It is the perfect do everything car, it never ceases to amaze with its on-road driveabilty and lunacy when you want it. It gets an easy 40mpg on a trip, has a massive load capacity, Japanese reliability and all the modern tech toys etc. No other car I have ever owned comes close.

I have an Evo TME in storage, a very special Leagcy STi as a second car and have lusted after a 911 Turbo since my 20's, but right now, they all seem totally redundant. Do it!

Craftsman
    Sounds great....I’m going to make a phone call tomorrow and take it from there.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Do they sell a spec without the wing? Like an Impreza D Spec or GT3 Touring?

If they did and it was black it wouldn't be so bad.

Craftsman
    Trouble is the R has gone the other way and is sooo boring
    Boring? A DSG version in manual mode and everything set to sport, have you driven one? Mine puts a stupid grin on my face every time I get in it :-)

Master
    Took the wife to look at a nearly new one recently to replace her Seat, didn’t even get out of the car to sit in it, told me I could replace the Seat but I would need to drive it and she’d have my Honda -S2000- so we left, the old ep3 breadvan model was the best, discrete but lively.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeB687 View Post
    Boring? A DSG version in manual mode and everything set to sport, have you driven one? Mine puts a stupid grin on my face every time I get in it :-)
    I get that but it makes me fall to sleep looking at it and sitting in one. Just my opinion. If I was to buy a hot hot hatch then the Type R would get my money

Craftsman
    I get that but it makes me fall to sleep looking at it and sitting in one. Just my opinion. If I was to buy a hot hot hatch then the Type R would get my money
    Horses for courses I suppose, I love the "sleeper" look of the Golf, other than the big wheels & 4 exhausts, from a distance it could be a labrador transporter (which it also can be if required)

Horses for courses I suppose, I love the "sleeper" look of the Golf, other than the big wheels & 4 exhausts, from a distance it could be a labrador transporter (which it also can be if required)
    Agreed. I’m sure it’s a great all rounder. For me, I wanted something that looked a bit more hot hatch. I tried so many and the Honda fitted the bill for everything apart from being manual. I ended up getting a JCW mini and love it.

Craftsman
    Also I'm a middle aged slap head and would look rediculous in a car that looks like the starship enterprise!
    Agreed. I’m sure it’s a great all rounder. For me, I wanted something that looked a bit more hot hatch. I tried so many and the Honda fitted the bill for everything apart from being manual. I ended up getting a JCW mini and love it.
    Sent from my moto g(8) plus using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    You'd be fine M. Picard

Also I'm a middle aged slap head and would look rediculous in a car that looks like the starship enterprise!
    Honestly, who cares what others think or how you may perceive how others perceive you.

I have owned a lot of good cars over the years and none drew positive comment or people wanting photos like the Civic does.

Craftsman
    Well I took the plunge today. I’m essentially buying it for my wife as my little Up GTI is perfect for my 50 minute commute during the week.

Opted for the GT model (I can’t imagine many people don’t) and it was a toss up between red and white. We’ve had a lot of white cars in recent years so the red won - a first for both of us. Pick it up from Sunderland in a couple of weeks. Can’t wait. The £599 5 year service pack was also a no-brainer. Plan to remove the Civic badge and will need to source some wind deflectors. Other than that, I love it the way it is.

You cant go worng MTM. We also got the 5yr service pack and 5yr warranty so all we have to do is feed it petrol and tyres and enjoy the car. Red is a good choice, you rarely see a red FK8 and if you aren't keen on the red highlights they are at least more subdued. Please post photos when you get it

Grand Master
    This is what I did.google is so good.

Why is it others request pics tho!?.

Craftsman
    Thanks Mondie, thinking I’m looking forward to collection more than my wife lol.

Will post some pics 👍🏻

4 years on and still enjoying my FK2 Type R

Last edited by bazza.; 4th January 2020 at 12:01.

Love that Bazza, black suits the body shape. I have never driven an FK2 but I have read and watched a lot of reviews that mostly conclude it is even more raw than the FK8. I need to try one someday

Opted for the GT model (I can’t imagine many people don’t) and it was a toss up between red and white. We’ve had a lot of white cars in recent years so the red won - a first for both of us.
    FWIW my local dealer says that they have only ever sold the base model to people who buy them to do track days.

I’m just about to buy a red one. With the additional upper wing.......