closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Car buying advice needed....

Craftsman

Car buying advice needed....

I've driven BMWs for a long time, my last 6 or 7 cars have been BMWs, and I'm very comfortable with them, however, I've been tempted by a Merc, but, having never owned one, or driven one, I'm after people's opinion, especially if they made the shift.

If it helps, my current car is an M5, the car I'm looking at is a C63 estate (for the dogs!).

Thanks

Master
    may be worth noting that a facelift is due Sept/ Oct time for the c-class, so either get a bargain now or wait a few months? I have a c-class coupe and found it a much better cabin than the 4 series I was comparing against.

Is an E Class Estate out of the question?

I prefer BMW over MB personally although I have just come out of a C43 Coupe that I ran for 5000 which was surprisingly good.

Saloon tested, no estates launched yet:

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review...A9-2018-review
    "A man of little significance"

Craftsman
    I've got a late 2015 C-class estate have had it for just over a year and love it, it's my wife's car so only really drive it on weekends or if we go on holiday in the UK, but am very pleased with it. Interior and comfort are top notch.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    Saloon tested, no estates launched yet:

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review...A9-2018-review
    I'd be going for a 2nd hand one.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Byron View Post
    Is an E Class Estate out of the question?

I prefer BMW over MB personally although I have just come out of a C43 Coupe that I ran for 5000 which was surprisingly good.
    Possibly, I've had a look at the E63, but I'm with you, I'm not a huge fan of MB. I was thinking of going a bit smaller than the 5 services, but I don't like the engine in the current M3.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by IanBear View Post
    may be worth noting that a facelift is due Sept/ Oct time for the c-class, so either get a bargain now or wait a few months? I have a c-class coupe and found it a much better cabin than the 4 series I was comparing against.
    That's interesting, people seem to love the 4 series, but BMW interiors are very plain, I think that's what I like about them.

I made the shift the other way from a C class to a 3 series, no comparison the BMW wins hands down.

Handling, performance, build quality feels a lot better to me.

Quote Originally Posted by boring_sandwich View Post
    I made the shift the other way from a C class to a 3 series, no comparison the BMW wins hands down.

Handling, performance, build quality feels a lot better to me.
    I would absolutely agree.

Car buying advice needed....

Lovely cars to drive but I don’t agree with build quality. My F30 was squeaky like an extra squeaky thing, took it in to the dealer back in Feb and they made it quiet but over the last few week a most annoying rattle near the drivers door has come back.

Craftsman
    We bought our first Merc last year - GLC43 - and we had loads of issues with scrubbing. After sales service from dealer, head office and AMG was poor. Wife wouldn't have another....

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Just got a GLA 250 2018 coming from a Porsche c4s 2009.

It's ok. The build feels solid but cheap - lots of plastics, but no squeaks or bad panel gaps. Everything works.

The driving modes really make a difference. Eco feels broken, sport does tighten stuff up a bit, but the default settings are just... Floaty. Nerve inducing. Annoying to have to change the setting every time I power the car on.

Paddle gears/auto is ok; was worried coming from pdk, but it's usable enough.

Miss the precision of the 911 way more than the power- even though they are about the same footprint the extra height and float in the car conspire to reduce confidence.

That said, it looks nice, is pleasant to be in, doesn't intimidate the wife, can put a dog in the boot, and has mod cons like distance control and carplay.

I guess I'd say... For my particular choices... A golf r is a better car for less money. An Audi may have better finish internally. A Porsche will have more sense of occasion. An mx 5 will be more fun.

What is it that draws you to the MB to begin with?

Master
    The C63 estate is a niche product. Incredible engine and the only other car that is comparable is the new RS4 which has a nicer cabin IMHO.

Either would be a fun daily driver. You will always divide opinion over Merc vs BMW dealers. My experience hasn't been great with either!

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by thegreatdogwood View Post
    The C63 estate is a niche product. Incredible engine and the only other car that is comparable is the new RS4 which has a nicer cabin IMHO.

Either would be a fun daily driver. You will always divide opinion over Merc vs BMW dealers. My experience hasn't been great with either!
    As an S4 owner I’d second that. Audi cabin is just a step up and apart at the minute from their German brethren. Had a run in the RS as well and it’s a much better drive than the last gen as well. Not to forget it’s frankly absurd shove when you open it up a bit 🤙

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by SockToy View Post
    Just got a GLA 250 2018 coming from a Porsche c4s 2009.

It's ok. The build feels solid but cheap - lots of plastics, but no squeaks or bad panel gaps. Everything works.

The driving modes really make a difference. Eco feels broken, sport does tighten stuff up a bit, but the default settings are just... Floaty. Nerve inducing. Annoying to have to change the setting every time I power the car on.

Paddle gears/auto is ok; was worried coming from pdk, but it's usable enough.

Miss the precision of the 911 way more than the power- even though they are about the same footprint the extra height and float in the car conspire to reduce confidence.

That said, it looks nice, is pleasant to be in, doesn't intimidate the wife, can put a dog in the boot, and has mod cons like distance control and carplay.

I guess I'd say... For my particular choices... A golf r is a better car for less money. An Audi may have better finish internally. A Porsche will have more sense of occasion. An mx 5 will be more fun.

What is it that draws you to the MB to begin with?
    It's purely the engine. I've got an M5 at the moment and like V8s, but I wanted something smaller, and preferably an estate, it doesn't leave many options, the V8 RS4 is nice, but not very refined compared with the new generation engines.

Craftsman
    I have just moved from a 911 997 to a B8 RS4 avant and cant really fault it, plenty of room to but the dogs in the back and very refined in comfort mode.
    When in sport its a different animal and would hands down out run my old 997.

I have had various cars including Mercedes (2015 E250 coupe) and always find Audi to be the nicest car to be in, build quality is better in my opinion as well.

E250 was a nice car though, couldn't really fault it but the Audi is a different league.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by GC2012 View Post
    I have just moved from a 911 997 to a B8 RS4 avant and cant really fault it, plenty of room to but the dogs in the back and very refined in comfort mode.
    When in sport its a different animal and would hands down out run my old 997.

I have had various cars including Mercedes (2015 E250 coupe) and always find Audi to be the nicest car to be in, build quality is better in my opinion as well.

E250 was a nice car though, couldn't really fault it but the Audi is a different league.
    Maybe I could be tempted by an RS4, it would be a fair bit cheaper than a V8 RS6.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by dickdutch View Post
    Maybe I could be tempted by an RS4, it would be a fair bit cheaper than a V8 RS6.
    Book a test drive. It might only be a V6 but it's got so much grunt across its range I was genuinely surprised. Only reason I have the S rather than RS is SWMBO wanted extra holidays last year. Priorities and all that :)

Craftsman
    Mine is a 2014 RS4 so 4.2 V8 engine.
    You can pick a good example up for £29-30k, mine is fully kitted out but the main extras I would look for is sport/dynamic pack (the downshift when in sport mode are something else) and either pan roof if thats your things or the bang & olufsen speakers as they are brilliant.

Its a hell of a lot of car for the money and really does tick every box. The sound from the V8 won me over!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by GC2012 View Post
    Mine is a 2014 RS4 so 4.2 V8 engine.
    You can pick a good example up for £29-30k, mine is fully kitted out but the main extras I would look for is sport/dynamic pack (the downshift when in sport mode are something else) and either pan roof if thats your things or the bang & olufsen speakers as they are brilliant.

Its a hell of a lot of car for the money and really does tick every box. The sound from the V8 won me over!
    Thanks, I'm definitely coming round to the idea, I'll take one for a drive this weekend, as you say, there are some good cars available at a good price. You can't beat a V8, although my wife would probably disagree.