closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Lower back pain

Journeyman

Lower back pain

Anyone have any advice for lower back pain? I was out playing this morning with my 1 year old daughter when picking her up I felt like something squeezed together at the bottom of my back where my jeans sit. I've been pretty much on the floor since with pains down my right thigh. I'm a joiner to trade and do lots of lifting and had the odd back niggle but nothing like this.

Any advice welcome and appreciated.

Sent from my STF-L09 using Tapatalk

Reckon you’ve twanged a nerve, which is now enflamed.

Take ipubrufen for a couple of days.

See a doctor

Is the painful area dead center or off to one side?
    If the latter is the case, the sacroiliac joint might be involved.

Keep yourself moving where possible, pain relief then frozen peas followed by hot water bottle on and off throughout the day.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by dschaen81 View Post
    The pains dead center just above my waist, and pain down the outside of my right leg.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Franky Four Fingers View Post
    Keep yourself moving where possible, pain relief then frozen peas followed by hot water bottle on and off throughout the day.
    Thanks for the advice, I'll give that a try.

Craftsman
    Try some ibuprofen gel direct on the affected area. Oh, and if you do take ibuprofen tablets, don’t take them in an empty stomach. And don’t waste money on branded stuff - it’s all the same inside the tube - only the marketing is different!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dschaen81 View Post
    Sorry to hijack the thread but I've got back pain just off centre and on the right side, it feels like a knot but it's been there 7 days.

How did I hurt my back?......playing captain America with my 3 year old.

Master
    Probably a disc has moved and then the back muscles spasm to protect it. The leg pain will be the sciatic nerve being pressed. Hopefully it is the muscle in your bum clenched on it rather than a disk pressing on it. You basically have to calm the muscles down and the ibuprofen, icing regime and trying to keep mobile is what you need to do. There are various gentle stretches that you can also do as well.

Craftsman
    I’m “dynamic resting” right now for a back problem.

For now, take ibuprofen 400mg every 8hrs with food - a couple of biscuits count as food.
    That’s 7am 3pm 11pm
    They are anti inflammatory with some pain killing effect.

For some relief now lie face down on the floor, arms by your side. Not on your back. And relax.
    Roll on your side every 20 mins for 20 mins and then back on your front again.

When you get up, come on to your knees gently and try to keep a dip in your back. Then walk your arms backwards so you support your back. Lean on anything to hand.

Go see someone tomorrow if it’s still painful.

Lumbago probably

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainSlow View Post
    Sorry to hijack the thread but I've got back pain just off centre and on the right side, it feels like a knot but it's been there 7 days.

How did I hurt my back?......playing captain America with my 3 year old.
    Could very well be a case of SI joint pain. There are some helpful youtube videos from physical therapists explaining how to find out if the SI joint is responsible for the symptoms along with mobilisation drills you can try to see if that helps with the pain.

Master
    If it persists then go and see an osteo.

Strengthen your lower back but regularly doing planks preferably different varieties. I had lower back pain and since doing this do not even get a twinge anymore.

The OP might be suffering from sciatica. Here is the Mayo Clinic's description:

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-...s/syc-20377435

Severe back pain is nothing to play around with. If it persists or worsens, see a doctor immediately.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by langdalematt View Post
    Strengthen your lower back but regularly doing planks preferably different varieties. I had lower back pain and since doing this do not even get a twinge anymore.
    I always reply to these back pain threads: Pilates. Been doing it once a week for 5> years now and will continue. It's all about building your core strength so that your core muscles take the strain away from your back.

Master
    It must've been the week for back pain!

I went back to the gym last week after about 10 years (yes...10!) and by the middle of it I found that my sciatica had come back with a vengeance; at times it was excruciating. Fortunately one of my colleagues was a sports physiotherapist in another life which led to me laying on the office floor in some pretty funny positions while he pushed & pulled me around over our weekend on - did the trick though.

I have nothing else to add except to say that I sympathise with the OP.

I'm a regular sufferer of lower back pain, usually brought by playing with, lifting and carrying a 3 year old.

I follow the yoga moves from this video when I feel it coming on:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeXz8fIZDCE

Grand Master
    I`m 60 and fortunately I don`t suffer badly with back pain. I`ve had a few episodes, usually caused by something daft like stretching in a morning to put my socks on, or overdoing it in the gym. However, when lifting heavy stuff I`ve always been OK, I`m careful to do it properly.

I`m sure most people know the right way to lift stuff, and the need to take care whilst lifting, so it amazes me how people lift children without thinking and taking care. I guess they don`t recognise the hazard because they're engrossed with the kid.

Hopefully the OP will be OK after a few days, back pain's no joke. I damaged a joint in my neck many years ago and I still get the odd twinge to remind me.

If the problem persists it's worth getting it investigated properly rather than rely on advice from a watch forum.

Paul

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post

If the problem persists it's worth getting it investigated properly rather than rely on advice from a watch forum.

Paul
    Couldn't agree more with Paul. When min really played up 5 years ago I went to a recommended chiropractor who analysed my posture (which was bad) and told me how to improve it; then worked on the immediate problem; and told me to do stretching / pilates daily to increase core strength and protect the back. Haven't looked back!

OP feel for you its the worst

anyway having spent £££££'s on physio due to sacroiliac joint pain and i mean pain so you can't walk or bend

the solution other than lots of physio is a TENS machine

get one from Amazon and within 30 minutes of using you will have some / a lot of relief

effectively you have spasm of muscles surrounding 'sacro' they clamp on to stop you doing further damage and you need to release the spasmed muscles the TENS machine will help do that, and as other have said don't stay in fixed positions move about and lie on back and pull knees to chest individually.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tens-Compan...s=tens+machine
    Last edited by TKH; 25th June 2018 at 12:04.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    I`m 60 and fortunately I don`t suffer badly with back pain.
    Guess what back pain is a young persons thing. As you get older the spine starts to lose flexibility anyway so there is less movement to cause these issues. I was, in a weird way, quite pleased as being seen as still young when my back surgeon told me this lol.

Quote Originally Posted by reecie View Post
    Guess what back pain is a young persons thing.
    I blame the kids. Putting them in car seats, helping them ride a bike, pushing buggies, shoulder carries, ect. I'm 6'1 so even simple things like holding hands whilst walking to nursery/school can put strain on my back due to the height difference.

Journeyman
    Thanks for all the advice guys. Pain killers are taking some of the pain away and managing to work as well. I'll give it another night then book a chiropractor appointment.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    I blame the kids. Putting them in car seats, helping them ride a bike, pushing buggies, shoulder carries, ect. I'm 6'1 so even simple things like holding hands whilst walking to nursery/school can put strain on my back due to the height difference.
    Being 6'4" myself I can relate to that!

Quote Originally Posted by langdalematt View Post
    good advice. I found pilates that work the core muscles really helped my posture and general well-being as it helped with referral pain from an old injury. worth a try.

Mmmmm...............

Master
    I actually had a cortisone injection as a day patient to try and help my back. Whilst it did improve things I still ended up with an operation 5 months later. I’m not so sure the main effect is more to wash out the area

Master
    Blog Entries
    I'd advise you to get stronger & fitter in your core. That's likely to protect you from further issues with lower back pain. Most people have shockingly weak core strength

Give it a couple more days, I predict you'll feel a lot better

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by raptor View Post
    Lumbago probably

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Lumbago isn't a disease. It just an old fashioned term for lower back pain.

Blog Entries
    Hi there...

I suffer from the dreaded 'lumbago' (as stated above a generic term for lower back pain in what could be one of many areas).

I have had it recurring now for a good 5 years or so... it comes and goes and has stayed longer on this occasion.

Ibuprofen IS good short term... but of course this is a pharmaceutical drug and isn't ideal to use long term if pain hangs around.
    I was JUST Googling this subject as we speak as a couple of Paramedics at work have told me about the anti-inflammatory natural effects of turmeric. So I am literally looking at this now as we speak. It also is supposed to be a great way of staving off cancer. So I am totally thinking of introducing this daily into my world to see how that goes.... as a prevention.

The BEST thing that you can do.. once up (I sometimes have to crawl out of bed) is MOVE. Sound hardly ideal.. but movement IS the best thing for it. Just be careful not to overdo it. I just had five days on the sick due to this... and to be fair.... there was NO way I could lift patients without harming my back or risking the patient. However... after those five days of relaxing and avoiding too much movement.. I had a spasm and it came back again. So yeah... movement.

I also got physiotherapists involved via work... as I do think that it is a cumulative injury caused by repetition over time. So they spoke with me... sent me videos to do... and these involve flexion. I had a Google around at these exercises... and they are VERY similar to some pilates and yoga stuff out there. So a Google about lower back pain and pilates / yoga MAY yield some good results. I train at the Village Hotel in Leeds and they don't do pilates but they DO have yoga... so I can see myself registering soon for this and tackling it with preventative positional exercises to help stave it off. Along with turmeric of course.

I also bought a microwave wheat bag to help apply heat. This brought pain at first but on removal it DID give relief.

I also find that the 'burn' lotions work.

I personally bought Vicks VapoRub for mine and applied it. There is also Deep Heat.

It's not specifically certain whether these purely work for the pain. I got told that they cause a tingling / gentle burning sensation to the nerves around that area... which feels like it's fully working but can also be a 'distraction' remedy. So you feel something ELSE down there... assume it's working... but it could be your brain playing tricks on you? It could also simply work. Who knows. :) How it works is all subject to opinion... but for me... it took away the agony and I smelled of Vicks. Happy days. PLUS any pain relief will see you mobilise more... which will help. How it works... not sure... but anything will suffice in the pain of lumbago. I also saw my GP and he gave me some muscle relaxants but they CAN make you drowsy.

Good luck. These ^^^ are the lengths I am going to, hopefully they will work. :)

But the turmeric could be a beauty. :)

Greg.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by trident-7 View Post
    I'd advise you to get stronger & fitter in your core. That's likely to protect you from further issues with lower back pain. Most people have shockingly weak core strength

Give it a couple more days, I predict you'll feel a lot better
    Quote Originally Posted by trident-7 View Post
    Lumbago isn't a disease. It just an old fashioned term for lower back pain.
    Plus... trident-7 is right on both accounts. Smart these Yorkshire types. ;)

Go easy but work that core. I'll be stretching then sitting meditation in the lotus position before you know it. ;)

And yeah... it's and old fashioned term. I KNEW I had what is termed : lumbago. I went to my doctor to find out MORE about it... to have it more precise about where in my lumbar it was and why.... and got told... "lumbago."

Well done Doctor Sherlock. ;)
    Last edited by gregory; 25th June 2018 at 20:41. Reason: typo

Master
    Don't bother with a chiropractor. Its quack medicine. Look up the history of chiropractic medicine and see what I mean, its not founded in proven medical science and the practitioners aren't doctors besides often calling themselves doctor. I will concede there is the odd good one.

I've had back trouble on and off for 20 odd years. I've found physio works best and if I keep up the stretches and exercises they give me I don't get any bother. My trouble is I deem myself cured every once in a while stop doing them.

A good physio is definitely the way to curing it.

Sent from my Swift 2 Plus using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    I'm a regular sufferer of lower back pain, usually brought by playing with, lifting and carrying a 3 year old.

I follow the yoga moves from this video when I feel it coming on:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeXz8fIZDCE
    No problem with back but that video was worth a watch.

Unfortunately for me, I'm going in deep on this one.
    When my back pain escalated into numbness with pins and needles in both legs I was fired down an MRI scanner and fast-tracked into lumbar surgery.
    Stenosis is the diagnosis; simplified, arthritic nodules and disc deformation is/are poking into my spinal column and needs removed surgically. I am 67¾ by the way.
    Had my pre-op last Thursday; I will take delight in updating as this progresses. Apart from anything else I won't have much else to do with myself!

maybe unrelated to OP situation but I had a lot of backpain come on all of a sudden a couple of years ago

it turned out to be i had an ulcer that had got infected - caused so much swelling in my bowels/digestive system that it pressed on a nerve in my back (also pain in the bladder kidneys area)

Voltarol Slow release and strong ibuprofen help (lets you be able to do stretches and yoga to keep supple) while the steroid and two courses of antibiotics did the rest

I use Ibuprofen gel if the pain is mild to moderate. There are two types 5% and 10%, Get the 10% if the pain is bad. The advantage of the gel is that it targets the area affected directly and is easily absorbed into your body. Do not take Ibuprofen pills as they can cause stomach/digestive issues if taken over a long period.

Quote Originally Posted by gregory View Post
    Plus... trident-7 is right on both accounts. Smart these Yorkshire types. ;)

Go easy but work that core. I'll be stretching then sitting meditation in the lotus position before you know it. ;)

And yeah... it's and old fashioned term. I KNEW I had what is termed : lumbago. I went to my doctor to find out MORE about it... to have it more precise about where in my lumbar it was and why.... and got told... "lumbago."

Well done Doctor Sherlock. ;)
    I do my best :)

Quote Originally Posted by Riley View Post
    I always reply to these back pain threads: Pilates. Been doing it once a week for 5> years now and will continue. It's all about building your core strength so that your core muscles take the strain away from your back.
    Agree 100%, Pilates is great for preserving and protecting against back problems. In the OP’s case my first port of call would be to see a Physiotherapist. Then book some 1 to 1 sessions with a Pilates instructor and make Pilates part of your ongoing regime. I’ve been doing it 10 years and feel stronger than ever.