closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: CataWiki vs Salesroom?

Apprentice

CataWiki vs Salesroom?

Newbie here.

Just wondering if anyone's had any experience with any of the above sites?

How do they compare with Ebay?

Until i get access to Sales corner where would be best to purchase from for now, mainly looking for watches that have a good chance of going up in value.

TIA

Catawiki is expensive. Think costs are your winning bid plus 12% or something like that. I’m sure the answers are on their site tho if you really wanted the answer

Apprentice
    Mainly wanted to know about trustworthiness.

1. Which site would be the best to buy from.

2. Which watches have the best chance of increasing in value.

Really rare ones that there will be increased demand for in the future is your best bet.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Josh2019 View Post

Gumtree is good I hear and Patrick Philip and Rolox do quite well.

Welcome to the forum btw...

Once you've been here a few months you'll get access to Special Corner, where traders of watches, stocks and shares, bonds, gilts, property and human trafficking hang out, you'll need to go through initiation which can be a bit ''sore'' but afterwards the world is your ''lobster''.

BTW welcome to the forum.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    Once you've been here a few months you'll get access to Special Corner, where traders of watches, stocks and shares, bonds, gilts, property and human trafficking hang out, you'll need to go through initiation which can be a bit ''sore'' but afterwards the world is your ''lobster''.

BTW welcome to the forum.
    Cant wait!

Master
    I have purchased from both in recent months.
    Catawiki is SO ANNOYING as every item has a reserve, you can click though 100 watches, none of which have met reserve and takes a lot of time.
    Saleroom.com have commissions or around 33% on some auction houses, so BEWARE and read all the specs before bidding.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by uktotty View Post
    I have purchased from both in recent months.
    Catawiki is SO ANNOYING as every item has a reserve, you can click though 100 watches, none of which have met reserve and takes a lot of time.
    Saleroom.com have commissions or around 33% on some auction houses, so BEWARE and read all the specs before bidding.
    Thanks, Is there 1 particular site or auction you would recommend, or is it just the luck of the draw, due diligence and hope you dont get scammed? (-:

Also how do they compare with Chrono24?
    Last edited by Josh2019; 25th June 2018 at 12:42.

Master
    To be fair I've never been scammed on any of them but some people have seen fake Rolexes on there at £20,000 which can be worrying for some.
    I bought a bargain Breitling on Cata and a Cartier on The SaleRoom, got a bargain Rado on saleroom last week, so bid what you can afford and walk away from the rest.

Craftsman
    I like C24 but the lack of private sellers means you're mostly dealing with traders, I've had some good fortune in bartering with European traders however, they mostly seem more interested in a trade than UK sellers.

Master
    Catawiki reserves are very annoying - they seem to be set at retail price so I wonder if loads of watches remain unsold. What’s the point of bidding for it in an auction if I could wrangle a few percent from Austin Kaye?
    Salesroom I’ve been lucky with, sadly I didn’t make note of it but they had a Californian watch auction that was like a casket of golden jewels not over priced either. Though would need to make allowance of 20%.

On Chrono 24 I’d only ever buy from a trader unless the private seller is willing to use Escrow. Basically you have very little comeback on Chrono 24 who put a wall of privacy over the seller . They have a Germancentric view of the law, demanding police reports. The Police in the UK need a huge burden of proof to take out a fraud case . So you are basically stuffed if something goes wrong. I’d guess paying by credit card may give additional protection ?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark lowman View Post
    Catawiki reserves are very annoying - they seem to be set at retail price so I wonder if loads of watches remain unsold. What’s the point of bidding for it in an auction if I could wrangle a few percent from Austin Kaye?
    Salesroom I’ve been lucky with, sadly I didn’t make note of it but they had a Californian watch auction that was like a casket of golden jewels not over priced either. Though would need to make allowance of 20%.

On Chrono 24 I’d only ever buy from a trader unless the private seller is willing to use Escrow. Basically you have very little comeback on Chrono 24 who put a wall of privacy over the seller . They have a Germancentric view of the law, demanding police reports. The Police in the UK need a huge burden of proof to take out a fraud case . So you are basically stuffed if something goes wrong. I’d guess paying by credit card may give additional protection ?
    On the flip side... catawiki allows no method of asking the seller a question which is really kinda stupid. Chrono24 allows you to do that and has a good feedback system similar to evay

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post
    On the flip side... catawiki allows no method of asking the seller a question which is really kinda stupid. Chrono24 allows you to do that and has a good feedback system similar to evay
    RustyBin5 - very true but my Chrono24 chappie was a flipping liar!
    Tbf I’ve done a number of other successful purchases through Chrono but via bricks and mortar dealers

First of all. We really like people who come here mainly for investment advice on watches! Really!

Salesroom is just a metacrawler for auctions isn't it? With additional bid function but at an additional charge?

Catawiki sucks imho. Poor supervision. No questions to be asked. Unreal reserve prices.
    Last edited by Mark020; 26th June 2018 at 21:34.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark020 View Post
    First of all. We really like people who come here mainly for investment advice on watches! Really!

Salesroom is just a metacrawler for auctions isn't it? With additional bid function but at an additional charge?

Catawiki sucks imho. Poor supervision. No questions to be asked. Unreal reserve prices.
    Some very useful advice/experiences, I`ve only recently discovered Catawiki but was never really sure how good or bad they were.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark020 View Post

Thanks, any other advice would be more than welcome!

Do you have watches already Josh? What’s in your watch drawer just now?

Apprentice
    Do you have watches already Josh? What’s in your watch drawer just now?
    (A Baume Mercier Hampton)

BREITLING CHRONOMAT B13352

ROLEX DATEJUST 1601

Breitling Colt

Citizen Calibre 2100

All cautious under £3k buys to start off with...

I believe the Rolex & Breitling should hold their value, but looking maybe to up the game to watches that have a chance of increasing.
    Last edited by Josh2019; 1st July 2018 at 19:04.

(A Baume Mercier Hampton)

BREITLING CHRONOMAT B13352

ROLEX DATEJUST 1601

Breitling Colt

Citizen Calibre 2100

All cautious under £3k buys to start off with...

I believe the Rolex & Breitling should hold their value, but looking maybe to up the game to watches that have a chance of increasing.
    As a rule (certain steel sports models excepted) you don’t make cash when you sell watches. If you make a profit (if that’s what lights your candle) then it’s at the point you bought it. Paying retail is normally going to be a no no if value preservation is your mantra.

Apprentice
    As a rule (certain steel sports models excepted) you don’t make cash when you sell watches. If you make a profit (if that’s what lights your candle) then it’s at the point you bought it. Paying retail is normally going to be a no no if value preservation is your mantra.
    Yes, so would have to be purchased at a decent price, hence, the question, where do the knowledgeable ones suggest one has the best chance of getting the genuine item for the best price, and any particular models to look out for?

CataWiki vs Salesroom?

Yes, so would have to be purchased at a decent price, hence, the question, where do the knowledgeable ones suggest one has the best chance of getting the genuine item for the best price, and any particular models to look out for?
    No it’s a watch enthusiast’s forum. Buy and wear what makes you happy. Profit would be a nice accidental side effect if you sold, but if you are buying and already thinking about future profit then maybe you should just buy bitcoin instead. I’m sure the bitcoin thread would be if interest to you.