closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Any runners?

Bit late to this thread but I took up running 18 months ago at the age of 48, having never done exercise since leaving school. I started going to Parkrun only to support my wife who was recovering from an ankle fracture and medial meniscectomy and was doing Parkrun (walk really) as rehab. I soon found I enjoyed it and had a little aptitude for running. I’m now 50, have a Parkrun PB of 21.27, and have done four half marathons this year with a best of 1:45:30
    It’s never too late to start, it seems.
    We’re lucky in Perth that there are a lot of organised community runs, and several big events where the city centre is closed off for charity running events.

GGGRRR really annoyed at having a bloomin' cold these last couple of weeks so can't run and the weathers perfect, sunny and around 18/20 c.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RABbit View Post
    Bit late to this thread but I took up running 18 months ago at the age of 48, having never done exercise since leaving school. I started going to Parkrun only to support my wife who was recovering from an ankle fracture and medial meniscectomy and was doing Parkrun (walk really) as rehab. I soon found I enjoyed it and had a little aptitude for running. I’m now 50, have a Parkrun PB of 21.27, and have done four half marathons this year with a best of 1:45:30
    It’s never too late to start, it seems.
    We’re lucky in Perth that there are a lot of organised community runs, and several big events where the city centre is closed off for charity running events.
    That's some very impressive times. How often do you train and did you join a running club? Any tips are welcome.

I'm in my mind forties and started running three months ago. Got my third 1/2 marathon later this month and aiming for under 2 hours with a park run PB 24.11.

Three halves in your first three months is good going!
    I haven’t joined a club, just self taught. I run three days per week, figuring that an old bloke needs rest to avoid injury. I do a mix of long runs, intervals and hills, and a Parkrun.
    I have plateaued now so need to change my approach if I want to improve more...and put in some cross-training too.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mk2driver View Post
    Find a training plan that works for you as it gets the right variety of runs

Don’t just do aimless miles all at the same pace - variation is key

I followed the one in the link below and ran a 1.39 at my first ever half having only started running 5 months before race day

https://www.hornetjuice.com/half-mar...ining-program/
    Thanks. Mrs T-7 has done 1:15 for a half but that was 28 years ago when she was 21. She's also been world champion in her age group at Olympic distance Triathlon which has a 10k run aa the third discipline. That was on her 35th birthday. She was silver medallist in the National Closed Circuit Champs (cycling) a few years back. She's also got the current national record for her age at 30 miles time trial on the bike @ 1:08:01. That was about 3 years ago.

However, she went out for a 2 mile run with our 9 year old son yesterday & she struggled to keep up with him. The boy complained that mummy was terrible. It'll be interesting to see how she progresses because she's very determined when she puts her mind to something like this. She's knocked alcohol on the head already & wants to lose some weight. Running & extra weight don't mix

Running and extra weight do not mix! I am constantly struggling to get under 69kg, I just don't seem to be able to do it whilst working a desk job.

That said I am the same weight as I was 2 years ago and I've taken off 3 minutes for my half and over 5 for the marathon

Sent from my SM-G960F using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by oliverte View Post
    Running and extra weight do not mix! I am constantly struggling to get under 69kg, I just don't seem to be able to do it whilst working a desk job.

That said I am the same weight as I was 2 years ago and I've taken off 3 minutes for my half and over 5 for the marathon

LOL I'm struggling to get under 80kgs :) last week I was but always float just above
    My 10k times are still 49mins and the last half marathon had 500m of hills and so wasn't quick 2 hours 1 min
    But I'm hoping to improve on that I may go out Sunday morning and run one

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by trident-7 View Post
    Thanks. Mrs T-7 has done 1:15 for a half but that was 28 years ago when she was 21. She's also been world champion in her age group at Olympic distance Triathlon which has a 10k run aa the third discipline. That was on her 35th birthday. She was silver medallist in the National Closed Circuit Champs (cycling) a few years back. She's also got the current national record for her age at 30 miles time trial on the bike @ 1:08:01. That was about 3 years ago.

However, she went out for a 2 mile run with our 9 year old son yesterday & she struggled to keep up with him. The boy complained that mummy was terrible. It'll be interesting to see how she progresses because she's very determined when she puts her mind to something like this. She's knocked alcohol on the head already & wants to lose some weight. Running & extra weight don't mix
    Mrs T-7 obviously has plenty of natural ability, that's something you never completely lose. The danger for anyone who's been good in the past is to set unrealistic targets based on what they used to do, you have to accept that the past is exactly that....the past! However, the advantage of knowing you're inherently capable of running far better than your peers can be a motivator, but it still needs patience to get back in shape. Fitness comes back, but it doesn`t come back overnight.

Beware of injuries! That's the biggest worry when starting, or restarting, the body has to adjust to exercise. Carrying extra weight doesn`t help in this respect, and most people who've stopped running for a lengthy period won't be down at their 'fighting weight'. The ideal weight for running and a healthy typical weight are two different things, the happy medium is somewhere in between in my opinion. One of the advantages of running is being able to eat and drink more liberally, unfortunately when injury strikes it's hard to get out of that habit.

Despite chronic Achilles problems in both legs I`m managing to do a little light jogging again, but at the age of 60 my ambitions are limited. Managed to do 28 minutes yesterday on soft(ish) ground in 3-4 minute stretches interspersed with 1 minute walks to get the tightness out of my legs. The frustrating thing is that I don`t feel tired doing this, without the Achilles problems I feel I could be running 3 or 4 miles at 7.5-8 min mile pace without too much trouble despite having done virtually no running for over a year. If I can keep progressing without a setback I may have a go at the local parkrun eventually, but my right Achilles/calf (damaged in summer) still has some way to go to sustain continuous running. Volterol gel, massage, stretching all help, but as ever it's time that's the healer and that generally takes a few months with this type of problem.

Take my advice, look after your calves and Achilles tendons, once they start giving trouble the damage is already done!

Quote Originally Posted by bazza. View Post
    LOL I'm struggling to get under 80kgs :) last week I was but always float just above
    My 10k times are still 49mins and the last half marathon had 500m of hills and so wasn't quick 2 hours 1 min
    But I'm hoping to improve on that I may go out Sunday morning and run one
    Do it! I am revving up for the last long run before Valencia marathon... 22 miles just have to stay off the lagers night before!!

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Mrs T-7 obviously has plenty of natural ability, that's something you never completely lose. The danger for anyone who's been good in the past is to set unrealistic targets based on what they used to do, you have to accept that the past is exactly that....the past! However, the advantage of knowing you're inherently capable of running far better than your peers can be a motivator, but it still needs patience to get back in shape. Fitness comes back, but it doesn`t come back overnight.

Beware of injuries! That's the biggest worry when starting, or restarting, the body has to adjust to exercise. Carrying extra weight doesn`t help in this respect, and most people who've stopped running for a lengthy period won't be down at their 'fighting weight'. The ideal weight for running and a healthy typical weight are two different things, the happy medium is somewhere in between in my opinion. One of the advantages of running is being able to eat and drink more liberally, unfortunately when injury strikes it's hard to get out of that habit.

Despite chronic Achilles problems in both legs I`m managing to do a little light jogging again, but at the age of 60 my ambitions are limited. Managed to do 28 minutes yesterday on soft(ish) ground in 3-4 minute stretches interspersed with 1 minute walks to get the tightness out of my legs. The frustrating thing is that I don`t feel tired doing this, without the Achilles problems I feel I could be running 3 or 4 miles at 7.5-8 min mile pace without too much trouble despite having done virtually no running for over a year. If I can keep progressing without a setback I may have a go at the local parkrun eventually, but my right Achilles/calf (damaged in summer) still has some way to go to sustain continuous running. Volterol gel, massage, stretching all help, but as ever it's time that's the healer and that generally takes a few months with this type of problem.

Take my advice, look after your calves and Achilles tendons, once they start giving trouble the damage is already done!
    I had Achilles issues too, I did plenty of calf raises and massage. I also made sure I didn't come back to running at too fast-a-pace and I've been fine *touches wood* with 9 weeks of 50 mpw

Just received this new RoadID to replace a different brand that broke on the road and was lost. These come in a variety of materials and colors. Mine is silicone and has a black metal clasp in back. (No affiliation.)

https://www.roadid.com/

Craftsman
    Not a runner myself, and in fact fair to say I haven’t run for around 6 years. I normally go to a gym 4 days per week, just medium weights to keep things ticking over, not the heavy bodybuilder stuff. However wifey has been running regularly for 8 years or so and has signed up for a local half marathon, jokingly I said I’d join her. Well now the jokes on me, signed up and starting a training program.
    My first run last night, 10k, 1hr 4mins ( wife does same in 54mins, but im happy with my time.
    Hopefully will push on distance wise, then improve times, maybe complete the half marathon under 2hrs next March.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by oliverte View Post
    Running and extra weight do not mix! I am constantly struggling to get under 69kg,

That would be impressive if you were 6ft tall!
    RIAC

Quote Originally Posted by pacifichrono View Post
    Just received this new RoadID to replace a different brand that broke on the road and was lost. These come in a variety of materials and colors. Mine is silicone and has a black metal clasp in back. (No affiliation.)

Another fan of RoadID here. I’ve been wearing mine for running, cycling, hill walking and skiing for years now. And now they have a UK operation too!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    No way a runner but did my 1st parkrun yesterday @50 - pleased at 25:39
    Not sure I’ll be a regular as I work 5 out of 6 Saturdays but I might go again

Blog Entries
    Managed 8.4km today at 5:48 pace.

Hoping to hit 10km before Christmas

z

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by zelig View Post
    Managed 8.4km today at 5:48 pace.

Hoping to hit 10km before Christmas

z
    Do it next weekend Z…. You’re ready!

Did this today only ever done this distance 2x before once when I was 32 some (13 years ago) and about 5 weeks ago
    I'm going to try and do the same ever month or so doesn't take to long to get to this distance I only run twice a week
    I know its not fast but was about 2 min quicker than last time but my legs do feel stiff :)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
    Do it next weekend Z…. You’re ready!
    I hope so ...

z

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by bazza. View Post
    Did this today only ever done this distance 2x before once when I was 32 some (13 years ago) and about 5 weeks ago
    I'm going to try and do the same ever month or so doesn't take to long to get to this distance I only run twice a week
    I know its not fast but was about 2 min quicker than last time but my legs do feel stiff :)

A sub 2 hour half marathon is always impressive!

Master
    I am still not allowed to run due to my ongoing knee injury but went for a run regardless today. In a couple of days it would have been exactly 3 months since my last run and the thought of going through a full quarter without running was just too much for me to handle. Too early to know if I have done any additional damage but right now it doesn't feel like it. It am preparing myself for the telling off by the physio in the next session though.

In the last ~3 run-less months my cardiovascular fitness seems to have dropped by more than I expected. It took me an extra 3 mins to run/walk my usual 5.2 km route compared to my usual pre-injury times. About 4.5 mins more than my PB. This is despite me continuing to be active and upping both the intensity and duration of my gym workouts. I even lost a tiny bit of weight without running due to eating slightly healthier during the past month. Still needed to slow down to catch my breath more often than I thought. Nothing else works as well as running ... can't beat it.

Quote Originally Posted by FK77 View Post
    I am still not allowed to run due to my ongoing knee injury but went for a run regardless today. In a couple of days it would have been exactly 3 months since my last run and the thought of going through a full quarter without running was just too much for me to handle. Too early to know if I have done any additional damage but right now it doesn't feel like it. It am preparing myself for the telling off by the physio in the next session though.

In the last ~3 run-less months my cardiovascular fitness seems to have dropped by more than I expected. It took me an extra 3 mins to run/walk my usual 5.2 km route compared to my usual pre-injury times. About 4.5 mins more than my PB. This is despite me continuing to be active and upping both the intensity and duration of my gym workouts. I even lost a tiny bit of weight without running due to eating slightly healthier during the past month. Still needed to slow down to catch my breath more often than I thought. Nothing else works as well as running ... can't beat it.
    My doctor doesn't advise running, either, but I manage a bit of it sometimes (mostly fast walking, though).

Master
    My doctor doesn't advise running, either, but I manage a bit of it sometimes (mostly fast walking, though).

Thankfully my injury is soft tissue rather than joint related. If I didn’t want to get back to running, I wouldn’t need physiotherapy because I manage fine with day-to-day activities and gym workouts with minimal pain. The treatment is focussed on strengthening my weak areas and improving my posture/technique to prevent future injuries. Some of the soreness I still suffer from is due to the exercises physiotherapist has prescribed. Apparently it is a necessary evil. Either that or the physio can’t let go of the regular income lol.

Blog Entries
    6.1km around a lake in hamar, Norway….

Love taking my sneakers when travelling as you get to see a town…. They had a church inside a glass house and an open air theatre….

It was bloomin’ dark though!

Just started running the last 7 days, getting out early and am thoroughly enjoying it.
    I've managed 3 5k's and today 7.2k.
    Times aren't great but I've got a couple of killer hills in there.
    Ended up getting fitted for trainers, I've got a neutral running style apparently, bought a pair of asics to hopefully help with my sore foot wearing a pair not fit for purpose!!
    Carrying 14 stone isn't easy, but hopefully my fitness and weight will improve.

Master
    Wasn’t hoping to have started training by now towards a sub 20min 5k, but did this at football a few weeks ago :-(

(Apologies to anyone at their lunch)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by demonloop View Post
    Wasn’t hoping to have started training by now towards a sub 20min 5k, but did this at football a few weeks ago :-(

Ouch…. Get well soon!

I twisted my ankle last year playing football and, having played football all of my life, I have now come to the very sad conclusion that I have to give it up…. My ankle is likely to be weak now and I’m not having crutches and not being able to run for 4 months again…

I miss it…

Quote Originally Posted by demonloop View Post

Ouch! That must hurt! Mind doctor's orders.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by lewie View Post
    No way a runner but did my 1st parkrun yesterday @50 - pleased at 25:39
    Not sure I’ll be a regular as I work 5 out of 6 Saturdays but I might go again
    That's a pretty impressive time for a 1st run. It gets quite addictive trying to get faster and achieving new PB's.

I'm down to 24.11 and I think I can go a bit faster.

Blog Entries

Any runners?

Hit 10km in about 59min.

Now I feel like a bona fide runner...

z

Nice one. 10K is definitely a milestone (kilometre stone?). Consistent pace as well, looks good.

I found getting from 10 to 15 took a little while but wasn’t too bad. Running over 15K up to 21K I found harder. Had to get nutrition and water right. Although I’m not a spring chicken any more

Another fan of RoadID here. I try to remember to wear it every time I go out for a ride.

I had a big cycle crash in 2012. I wasn’t carrying my mobile and could not remember the Missus mobile number. We still had a landline phone at the time. I could remember that number. Unusually she answered it.

I bought the RoadID soon after.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by alfat33 View Post
    Nice one. 10K is definitely a milestone (kilometre stone?). Consistent pace as well, looks good.

I found getting from 10 to 15 took a little while but wasn’t too bad. Running over 15K up to 21K I found harder. Had to get nutrition and water right. Although I’m not a spring chicken any more
    Thanks. I think I’ll stick to 10km for a while.
    Not sure I’m targeting anything over 15km as that might involve more consideration of nutrition/hydration & therefore more preparation. With the 10km - at least I can just put the shoes on & off I go.

z

Master
    Well done 👏 Definitely a milestone to be proud of.

Grand Master
    Just looking at the damaged ankle pics brings back a few memories! In 1999 I fell off the edge of the curb whilst running fairly briskly (it was dark!), a freak accident that left me with a badly sprained ankle, I was fortunate not to break it. Recovery took approx 12 months but I was jogging again after around 12 weeks. With the right physio and treatment mine made a 100% recovery and left me with no permanant weakness, I played badminton and occasional football again but it took time, it’s important to rebuild the strength and mobility but time is a big factor too.

Master
    Completed the Gosport 1/2 marathon on Sunday and managed to beat my PB by 22 minutes with a time of 1.50. Looks like consistent training and a stubbornness to never quit is paying off.

I think for my fourth attempt I could go to 1.40. Never considered myself a runner but the Parkrun has really started something!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by zelig View Post
    Hit 10km in about 59min.

Now I feel like a bona fide runner...
    z
    Good work my man!

Grand Master
    I use running as Cardio every other day, also Parkrun (19:15) and train at varying speeds depending how I feel, never know till I finish what I actually do
    RIAC

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Skool View Post
    Completed the Gosport 1/2 marathon on Sunday and managed to beat my PB by 22 minutes with a time of 1.50. Looks like consistent training and a stubbornness to never quit is paying off.

I think for my fourth attempt I could go to 1.40. Never considered myself a runner but the Parkrun has really started something!
    I was there ! I knocked 9 mins off my PB taking me over in 1.57 .
    Great run and perfect conditions :)

Just completed 7.1k in 42mins, delighted with that as I felt I had plenty in the tank still.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chukas View Post
    Just completed 7.1k in 42mins, delighted with that as I felt I had plenty in the tank still.
    Nice work…. Just sat down from lunchtime yog…. I’ve done 5km 3 days on the bounce at a fair lick (for me!!)…. Someone talked about not having rest days, so, gave it a go

Might have a go at a longer run this weekend

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
    Nice work…. Just sat down from lunchtime yog…. I’ve done 5km 3 days on the bounce at a fair lick (for me!!)…. Someone talked about not having rest days, so, gave it a go

Might have a go at a longer run this weekend
    Good stuff, conditions perfect up here today as well, light breeze and about 8 degrees.
    Got to admit I'm feeling better for it.

Journeyman
    Is anyone doing the December daily dash where you run 3miles everyday? It's for charity of course!

Blog Entries
    Good sale at ASICS BTW

https://outlet.asics.com/gb/en-gb/

Master
    Yesterday I finally got physio’s approval to start running again! Problem is she wants me to follow the Couch to 5k program I pleaded that while not a quick or long distance runner, I’m in no way a beginner but no use. Apparently I need to take it easy to begin with, even if I feel I can do more. Over the last week and a half, I sneaked in 3 runs (my normal pre-injury route/distance/routine) and the knees have been relatively ok. However, I couldn’t present that as evidence of being able to do better because I had only confessed to the first run and not the subsequent two.

At least I don’t need to stick to the program fully and can skip and progress faster depending on my post-run condition. I did my week 1 run 1 today and as expected, it wasn’t taxing. Although I can already see it is a great way to get people started. Anyway I am now OK with C 2 5k because it allows me to run again after 3 frustrating months of prohibition.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by FK77 View Post
    Yesterday I finally got physio’s approval to start running again!.
    Good to be back I’d bet! Happy running!

Master
    Well I was off today so thought I’d attempt my 2nd Park run- quite pleased over a minute faster than last time
    2nd Park run by biglewie, on Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    I use running as Cardio every other day, also Parkrun (19:15) and train at varying speeds depending how I feel, never know till I finish what I actually do
    Wow nice time ! Very good if you just mess about- I think could get into high 19s did a 20 something but would need to know the pace and km markers - I just tried to stay in touch with someone who was faster than me.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MB2 View Post
    Wow nice time ! Very good if you just mess about- I think could get into high 19s did a 20 something but would need to know the pace and km markers - I just tried to stay in touch with someone who was faster than me.

If you’re near me I’d happily take you out. I coach fitness (mental and physical) as a new interest. So happy to help. I’m 50 but I can keep up!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    RIAC

I was big into running 5ks the last 3 years but have been struggling with the mental aspect. Just can't get into it and my times are struggling. 2 years ago I set my PR of 17:53, 2017 went up to 17:56 and this year my best time was 19:02. I play a lot of hockey and that usually doesn't set my legs up well for race day. I'm trying to lower my number of runs per week and vary the speed to get my legs back. Winter where I live now so only treadmill running until April.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk