closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Any runners?

C25k completed over the nine week course, really enjoyed it.

I’m continuing to run three times a week for thirty minutes which seems to be about 6.5km.

I have been running in some knackered New Balance trainers but it’s time for something proper.

I have neutral pronation, road running, 6-8km per run. I don’t want to spend a fortune less than Ł100 would be ideal. I’m a size 7 so going up to 7.5 sounds right?

Seen some Asics Gel Flux 5 which look suitable... help appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    I naturally furrow my brow about all this under/ over/ neutral rubbing style…

I have some Brooks purchased cheap from TK maxx…. They fit nicely and are super comfy and have given me no gyp when running for miles in them…

I am due a new pair as they are getting on a little…. I am happy to be persuaded that all the running machine malarkey is needed, but, I am little skeptical 🤨

Is marketing? Will I be me prone to over stress or injury???

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
    I have some Brooks purchased cheap from TK maxx…. They fit nicely and are super comfy and have given me no gyp when running for miles in them…

...I am little skeptical 🤨
    Maybe you got lucky?
    I too thought - running shoes. Got them.
    New Balance are a good make.
    Ran a few km and found a few issues & they gave me blisters on my instep. No such troubles with the new Brooks. Gait & Fitting is pretty important.

z

I naturally furrow my brow about all this under/ over/ neutral rubbing style…

I am due a new pair as they are getting on a little…. I am happy to be persuaded that all the running machine malarkey is needed, but, I am little skeptical 🤨

I agree - probably lucky. What sort of footprint do you leave on the beach? If it is the classic footprint then you are likely neutral and bought some neutral shoes. Or another test - do you wear your shoes out evenly especially at the heel and ball of the foot ?

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MB2 View Post
    I agree - probably lucky. What sort of footprint do you leave on the beach? If it is the classic footprint then you are likely neutral and bought some neutral shoes. Or another test - do you wear your shoes out evenly especially at the heel and ball of the foot ?

Too the right hand side (looking forward) on the ball of the foot

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by zelig View Post
    Maybe you got lucky?
    I too thought - running shoes. Got them.
    New Balance are a good make.
    Ran a few km and found a few issues & they gave me blisters on my instep. No such troubles with the new Brooks. Gait & Fitting is pretty important.

z
    Mmmhhh…. Maybe I did get lucky! My last pair seemed to be ok too - cheapo Karrimor on from SPorts Direct (nowhere near as comfy as the Brooks)

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by alfat33 View Post
    You are getting to the most important insight. The whole point of this exercise is to learn to be able to control your pace based on how you feel. To start with you have to really exaggerate slowing down. You’ll practically feel like you are walking but I bet you are surprised by how fast you still go. It honestly is quite hard but after years of doing this I can estimate my pace to within about 5s per km based on how I feel and keep the same pace for an hour or more.

It really isn’t about a better app or watch (of course I use those as well).

Give it a try, what have you got to lose? So your first km takes 7 minutes and then you speed up a bit, so what? You are learning a new skill for fun, not just exercising your heart and legs.

Good luck.
    I agree as I can now estimate my pace well but I needed to use the watch over a period of time to get that knowledge

Master
    I am due a new pair as they are getting on a little…. I am happy to be persuaded that all the running machine malarkey is needed, but, I am little skeptical 廊

Many people put a lot of emphasis on using the right type of running shoes. My personal experience with professionals treating my injuries suggests otherwise. I had one injury last year and have a different one currently. On both occasions the physios (at completely different practices) flatly refused to look at my trainers when I asked them to. They said as long as they were not too tight or too loose, it did’t matter. Even if they were very worn. I don’t know whether that was due to the nature of my injuries or if they thought my feet were “regular” and didn’t need any special treatment. Given that I was encouraged to talk about my other workouts and daily activities in great detail, even if I felt some stuff was irrelevant, I would have thought they would have paid a bit more attention to footwear if it played that big a role in their opinion. Both regularly participate in competitive races and have run several marathons so I would expect them to know what they were talking about.

Each to their own, I’m just sharing what I’ve been told, not a recommendation, whatever works etc.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by FK77 View Post
    Many people put a lot of emphasis on using the right type of running shoes. My personal experience with professionals treating my injuries suggests otherwise. I had one injury last year and have a different one currently. On both occasions the physios (at completely different practices) flatly refused to look at my trainers when I asked them to. They said as long as they were not too tight or too loose, it did’t matter. Even if they were very worn. I don’t know whether that was due to the nature of my injuries or if they thought my feet were “regular” and didn’t need any special treatment. Given that I was encouraged to talk about my other workouts and daily activities in great detail, even if I felt some stuff was irrelevant, I would have thought they would have paid a bit more attention to footwear if it played that big a role in their opinion. Both regularly participate in competitive races and have run several marathons so I would expect them to know what they were talking about.

Each to their own, I’m just sharing what I’ve been told, not a recommendation, whatever works etc.
    Interesting post…. Thanks…. I haven’t picked up any injuries through running - just football :-(.

I might give it a go…. Can’t do any harm?

Blog Entries
    I walked past runners need on Sunday and popped in and asked about gait analysis…

She put on the running machine and it turns out my running style is neutral, so, I’m lucky enough to be able to buy anything I want pretty much…. They didn’t have anything I wanted and I was under absolutely no pressure to buy…. (I will go there again)

She gave some interesting information about arms and head position…. I do short little punching movements with my arms (which is fine) but; people who swing their arms across their body can twist their back up…. Also, she mentioned to look up more when running as you then don’t slouch and it brings the back into line…. Now, I can slouch a little when running, so, today I looked up a lot more and found it quite comfortable…

She also said that 300 miles is plenty for a trainer and as I’ve pretty much doubled that, it’s time to get a new pair I guess!

I have brooks and like brooks so found a pair of trail runners for Ł50 (last seasons colour)…. The bit I run is part trail and part road and they looked quite sturdy, so, hopefully they’ll do the trick! Cascadia 12 from start fitness…. I also picked up a Brooks running jacket for Ł15!

Blog Entries

I have brooks and like brooks so found a pair of trail runners for Ł50 (last seasons colour)…. The bit I run is part trail and part road and they looked quite sturdy, so, hopefully they’ll do the trick! Cascadia 12 from start fitness…. I also picked up a Brooks running jacket for Ł15!
    Nice to know gait & which shoes are suitable.
    ...& Ł50 is a good result. After a top tip here I bagged a 2nd pair of Brooks Adrenaline for Ł79.
    (so much less than the Ł120 I paid for the first pair).

...on another topic - I successfully managed to slow down on my last run - down to a 5:46 pace.
    However, by 28 min I hadn’t hit 5km - so extended my run to 29min to hit my target 5km.
    I’m hoping I keep this pace & up the duration & distance a bit each week.

z

I have brooks and like brooks so found a pair of trail runners for Ł50 (last seasons colour)…. The bit I run is part trail and part road and they looked quite sturdy, so, hopefully they’ll do the trick! Cascadia 12 from start fitness…
    Not sure which colour you purchased, but Ł50 for the excellent Cascadia 12 is a real bargain! I've looked as those myself.

This morning I was on the trail at sunrise, carrying my new 'survival' knife for protection. The fiercest predators I encountered were about a dozen bunnies, but as soon as they read "titanium coated" on the blade, they scattered like rabbits!

Blog Entries

Any runners?

Quote Originally Posted by pacifichrono View Post

The fiercest predators I encountered were about a dozen bunnies, but as soon as they read "titanium coated" on the blade, they scattered like rabbits!
    If they can read ...
    ...they may be more dangerous than you think!

z

Blog Entries
    Nice to know gait & which shoes are suitable.
    ...& Ł50 is a good result. After a top tip here I bagged a 2nd pair of Brooks Adrenaline for Ł79.
    (so much less than the Ł120 I paid for the first pair).

...on another topic - I successfully managed to slow down on my last run - down to a 5:46 pace.
    However, by 28 min I hadn’t hit 5km - so extended my run to 29min to hit my target 5km.
    I’m hoping I keep this pace & up the duration & distance a bit each week.

z
    If you get them in last seasons colours you should get a hefty discount!

I always go on distance target…. Did 5.41 pace today but I have massive hills (to me) to contend with :-)

Not sure which colour you purchased, but Ł50 for the excellent Cascadia 12 is a real bargain! I've looked as those myself.
    I got these ones…. They look about as hideous as my current ones (not built for fashionistas!!!)

From here

https://m.startfitness.co.uk/brooks-...243-1d419.html

No kniife required on my run…. Just need to fend off the odd pussy cat 🐱!

Just need to fend off the odd pussy cat !
    You and Judge Brett Kavanaugh!

Blog Entries
    You and Judge Brett Kavanaugh!
    😆

Anyone doing the Great South Run in a few weeks time?

Glad I bought that survival knife last month. This sign just appeared a couple days ago!

Last edited by pacifichrono; 13th October 2018 at 01:17.

Craftsman
    Well in a very wet Birmingham half marathon today I managed to beat my 1.40 goal and ran a 1.39

Took a lot of effort but this year has been a great journey - lost 4.5 stone and never thought I could run that time!

Quote Originally Posted by mk2driver View Post
    Well in a very wet Birmingham half marathon today I managed to beat my 1.40 goal and ran a 1.39

Took a lot of effort but this year has been a great journey - lost 4.5 stone and never thought I could run that time!
    Brilliant effort, well done.

Blog Entries

Any runners?

Congratulations - excellent result.

Today I finished the couch to 5k program
    (It has taken me 6 months from starting it in March !)
    Today was also a PB at 5:32 pace for the 30 min - with 5km coming up in ~27:38.

I’m happy with that for now - just need to up the distance gradually.

z
    Last edited by zelig; 14th October 2018 at 17:13.

Congratulations - excellent result.

Today I finished the couch to 5k program
    (It has taken me 6 months from starting it in March !)
    Today was also a PB at 5:32 pace for the 30 min - with 5km coming up in ~27:38.

I’m happy with that for now - just need to up the distance gradually.

z
    Congrats to you both! Excellent efforts.

Wish I could run a 1:39 half marathon!

Well done to both of you. Triathlons next!

Quote Originally Posted by lenlec View Post
    It’s amazing how quickly you lose running fitness
    I struggle doing 5k now
    so true. :-(

About 5-6 months ago I decided to lose some weight, Keto diet worked a treat and am 2 1/2st down.
    Then I plateau,d out so started running on a treadmill we have, 30 mins five times a week to start but now up to 40 mins at about 5.3kms. Only trouble is my knees hurt like hell most of the time which is making me run less. Am taking glycosomane? And green lipped muscle tabs morning and night, trying not to heal strike as well, but I am using cheaper trainers. The constant pain is making me want to give up, not sure what to do really.

Quote Originally Posted by Neilw3030 View Post
    About 5-6 months ago I decided to lose some weight, Keto diet worked a treat and am 2 1/2st down.
    Then I plateau,d out so started running on a treadmill we have, 30 mins five times a week to start but now up to 40 mins at about 5.3kms. Only trouble is my knees hurt like hell most of the time which is making me run less. Am taking glycosomane? And green lipped muscle tabs morning and night, trying not to heal strike as well, but I am using cheaper trainers. The constant pain is making me want to give up, not sure what to do really.
    I'd start with a gait analysis. You may well be doing something you don't know about which the trainers may be exacerbating, but which the right shoes might help correct. You could try a course of pilates, 5 or 6 sessions. It starts to unlock a range of movement and flexibility you might have lost. Runners particularly suffer from tight hamstrings which can have all sorts of knock-on effects to other joints and not necessarily only when you are running.

Craftsman
    If you are serious about running or just want to be able to train injury free, I can really recommend The Running School based in West London. Very helpful people and they really know their stuff.

https://www.runningschool.co.uk/

Journeyman
    My advice would be to take a break from running until the pain disappears, otherwise you could be doing more harm by running through it. There could be many reasons for the pain: stepping up mileage too quickly, going faster than your body can handle etc. If you must run, do it at a slower pacing than normal to see if that helps. You may find that this can improve your running form.

If you can afford it, go and see a private sports physio. It's well worth the money as they can point out muscle imbalances.

Master
    Having done a few halves and a couple of marathons I am planning to enter this.

http://www.twooceansmarathon.org.za/...ultra-marathon

Please give generously when my widow puts my collection up on SC.

Blog Entries
    Run slower.
    Go further.
    It works !

QED.

z

Run slower.
    Go further.
    It works !

QED.

z
    Nice one. No limit now :)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by alfat33 View Post
    Nice one. No limit now :)
    Thanks !
    I think that last km gives an indication of how the pace was dropping off (& not in a distance enhancing way)
    It might be a few more weeks before I up the distance again...

z

Blog Entries
    Spring Heeled Jack…

I have my new trainers and felt an extra bounce and seem (probably psychosomatic!) to feel quicker…

I haven’t done a sub 5 minute split since I came back from ankle injury and overall am now about 90 seconds quicker…

Still a bit off my PB of 25 mins

KM 1 - up hill a bit
    KM2 - Up hill a lot
    KM3 - big down hill
    KM4 and 5 up and down a bit

How is everyone else doing?

Blog Entries

Any runners?

Excellent result with the new shoes. I’m sure there’s a placebo effect too - but for me they were a better fit & I got no blisters - so ran more freely.

I’m trying to hold the 5:50 ish pace & up the distance.

Might go for 7km soon

z

Blog Entries
    Good work Z…. You’ll be at 10km in no time!

Blog Entries
    Felt ok at 6.5km - Couldn’t resist ...

All I want for Christmas is a 10k badge.
    And maybe a new watch

z

Nice one Z, cracked it.

Blog Entries
    Good work my man!

Started running (again!) this summer, and was slowly getting back into it and running for 30 mins or so.

The six weeks ago suffered problems with a disc in my neck which curtailed the running, and resulted in several trips to the chiropractor and sports

massage therapist.

First run again on Sunday, and again tonight, but by crikey it's tough going.

Only aiming for 5k three times a week, but these two runs made it feel like I was starting over again.

Master
    Completed my third parkrun on Saturday and managed to get a new PB of 25.27 which is five minutes faster than my first attempt from a couple of months back.

I'm going to join a local running group on Thursday.

Never saw myself as a runner but I really enjoy the challenge and mental resilience needed to push myself further and faster.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Go Big View Post
    Started running (again!) this summer, and was slowly getting back into it and running for 30 mins or so.

The six weeks ago suffered problems with a disc in my neck which curtailed the running, and resulted in several trips to the chiropractor and sports

massage therapist.

First run again on Sunday, and again tonight, but by crikey it's tough going.

Only aiming for 5k three times a week, but these two runs made it feel like I was starting over again.
    It’s tough when you stop…. Raising your heart rate for 30 mins, 3 times a week is a good plan!

Quote Originally Posted by Skool View Post
    Completed my third parkrun on Saturday and managed to get a new PB of 25.27 which is five minutes faster than my first attempt from a couple of months back.

I'm going to join a local running group on Thursday.

Never saw myself as a runner but I really enjoy the challenge and mental resilience needed to push myself further and faster.
    Good time!

Sounds like we should ha s a running GTG!!!

Restarted today after a long lay off.

Head up, small strides, keep going!

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by rigster2 View Post
    Restarted today after a long lay off.

Head up, small strides, keep going!
    Nice one. Keep it up after clock change! Evenings are the hardest when it's dark outside.

Blog Entries
    Currently nursing an injury & recovering from a cold, so no running this weekend.

But here’s a heads up for running gear sale https://www.sportsshoes.com/

An extra 10% off too with a voucher code

z

Just did a 10km run I try and do 2 a week and a every fews weeks something longer

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bazza. View Post
    Just did a 10km run I try and do 2 a week and a every fews weeks something longer
    Nice work - pretty quick too!

Blog Entries

Any runners?

Quote Originally Posted by bazza. View Post
    Jealous of that pace.

I’m planning to work up my distance.
    But recent injury & ilness curtailed that a bit - so I reverted to a couple 5k runs last week.

Couldn’t work out why I was blowing so much after the last run...

Then realised it was my PB for 5km !

I really need to work on slowing down a bit.

z
    (49 going on 17)
    Last edited by zelig; 5th November 2018 at 20:57.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Mrs T-7 has just entered the Bath half marathon 17th March 2019. She's got quite a good racing pedigree but has done no running for quite a few years now & will be 50 next year. Any tips?

[QUOTE=zelig;4931064]Jealous of that pace.

I’m planning to work up my distance.
    But recent injury & ilness curtailed that a bit - so I reverted to a couple 5k runs last week.

Your still doing more than most chap well done, the summer I like cycling and winter running
    I only really started early last year but always liked running my half marathon pace is about 5:15 ish but hoping to get that down in the next few months
    I'm pushing 45 now but still enjoy it
    Last edited by bazza.; 5th November 2018 at 20:59.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by trident-7 View Post
    Mrs T-7 has just entered the Bath half marathon 17th March 2019. She's got quite a good racing pedigree but has done no running for quite a few years now & will be 50 next year. Any tips?
    Find a training plan that works for you as it gets the right variety of runs

Don’t just do aimless miles all at the same pace - variation is key

I followed the one in the link below and ran a 1.39 at my first ever half having only started running 5 months before race day

https://www.hornetjuice.com/half-mar...ining-program/