closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Any runners?

Blog Entries
    ^^^^^^

Thanks everyone…. Interesting feedback…. I’ve been so focused on getting back to my pre injury 25min 5km I hadn’t really thought about heart rate a great deal…. I have a polar heart monitor in a drawer and will dig it out…

As I said I feel comfortable at an ave. of 152, but, don’t want to strain myself!

Ben

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by FK77 View Post
    Apple Watch can notify you when the heart rate goes above a configurable value but unfortunately only when you’ve been inactive for at least 10 minutes. It is designed to alert the user if the resting heart rate elevates too much. Most running/workout apps can have it on display though but you will have to keep looking at the screen. You can enable audio stats in apps like Runkeeper and Nike+ Run Club as well.

I averaged 180 bpm again today and hit a high of 206 bpm, if it can be trusted. Need to learn to manage it better.

Never thought of using heart rate as a way to go faster but I changed the display from average pace to current pace and kept monitoring it frequently during my previous run. It definitely helped me keep a steady pace and record a decent time. I didn’t beat my PB but got very close to it, which I was happy with, considering the heat. My 3 fastest runs have all been during subzero temperatures so getting in the same zone in +24 degrees felt like a minor achievement.
    Thanks…. I get a good view of my ace. BPM on Fitbit…. I top out at 170 peak when really straining (I think. I may want to bring this down a bit)

I’m not an expert but your average and max seem a bit high? Maybe have ave. heart rate on your watch to bring down the pace a little

From feedback offered befor, if you manage this you start to go faster eventually

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by alfat33 View Post
    I read (and it seems to be true) you get fit just as quickly regularly exercising at 140bpm as you do at 180bpm. Plus it feels better so you are more likely to continue and less likely to get injured or damage your heart. It feels odd after being brought up on ‘no pain no gain’ but it really is true.
    I like that. Not working hard enough to achieve the same (or better) results suits my lazy nature :) So far the pain and exhaustion hasn't put me off and I have managed to get out to run/gym in all sorts of weather and even when suffering from colds (respecting the "neck rule" of course). Taking it slightly easy to eventually get better is a different perspective for me and I will certainly give it a go.

Quote Originally Posted by pacifichrono View Post
    BTW, Wikipedia presents several refined formulas for calculating your target and maximum heart rates.
    Thanks for the pointer ... according to some of those formulas also, my max still coming out as 180 or 185 and target range 117-155. Way below the potentially dangerous levels I seem to be hitting.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
    I’m not an expert but your average and max seem a bit high? Maybe have ave. heart rate on your watch to bring down the pace a little

From feedback offered befor, if you manage this you start to go faster eventually
    Yes, I intend to focus on HR and stop fretting about time starting tomorrow. Let's see how it goes.

I use a Garmin 935 which has a heart monitor built in but also a chest strap.

When I was training to heart rate, I just went out for a 30 min run and concentrated on keeping heart rate at not exceeding a certain amount, I wasn’t concerned about speed or distance. If it went over, just slowed down, walked if necessary. Over the weeks, the distance gradually increased, but was at the same energy level. This wasn’t the only training I was doing, but was part of a 6 month plan geared towards an IronMan triathlon, so was more geared to endurance and distance rather than speed. I found it worked well for me and is another way of training. Keeps the mind off pure speed and distance.

Malc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Just had my lunch time run and really slowed things down and managing my body to not exert it too much…. There are some steep hills on my route and I barely shuffled up them!

Time went up nerarly 3 mins

BPM ave. Increased by 3 BPM

Go figure!!!

I've relied on an average of four reputable models for estimating my maximum heart rate. At 70.8 years of age now, they return the following HRm:

- Tanaka.................158 bpm
    - Oakland U............159 bpm
    - O.U. - non-linear...156 bpm
    - Robergs et al........157 bpm
    - .........AVERAGE...158 bpm

I've relied on an average of four reputable models for estimating my maximum heart rate. At 70.8 years of age now, they return the following HRm:

- Tanaka.................158 bpm
    - Oakland U............159 bpm
    - O.U. - non-linear...156 bpm
    - Robergs et al........157 bpm
    - .........AVERAGE...158 bpm
    That’s helpful. It suggests that running at 95-111 bpm will help improve your general endurance, according to this calculator.
    https://www.polar.com/blog/running-h...-zones-basics/

Craftsman
    Trying out some of the training runs this week before starting into the half marathon training plan proper on Monday

12 week plan leading up to the Birmingham half marathon

BEWARE of wrist optic HR monitors:

During an easy, slightly downhill trail jog today, my TomTom reported my HR as high as 162 (vs. a 158 estimated MAX!). My breathing cadence remained normal at all times. I doubt that my HR ever exceeded 125.

Whatever device you're using, I recommend you compare it to an accurate baseline device before entrusting your life to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
    Just had my lunch time run and really slowed things down and managing my body to not exert it too much…. There are some steep hills on my route and I barely shuffled up them!

Time went up nerarly 3 mins

BPM ave. Increased by 3 BPM

Go figure!!!
    If you are anything like me, the weather has a huge impact on your ability to breath effectively, and therefore run effectively, and therefore your heart rate. I really struggle when it is hot and run much more efficiently when there is a gentle breeze and no full sun.

You will also have some good days and some bad days with no rhyme or reason.
    My fastest 5k was immediately after I had taken a week off on holidays, where I had eaten too much, drank too much, but clearly was well rested!

Grand Master
    I think there's a danger of over-thinking all this heart rate business, but it can be a useful tool to monitor intensity of activity..

Heart rate at rest obviously has some impact on the optimum pace/effort an individual to train at. If your heart rate at rest is only 45, and your max rate is 175, that gives a multiple of 3.8. If your heart rate at rest is 60 that factor falls to 2.9 and your heart rate will be faster for a given amount of demand/activity. That's one reason why a fit athlete can run a lot faster than others.

Heart rate at rest is a useful parameter to measure. As an individual gets fitter it should fall, the cardiovascular system becomes more efficient and the heart doesn`t need to beat as fast to supply blood (and oxygen) to the working muscles. Other factors influence it, but it;s something every runner should monitor and record. Back in my early 20s mine was as low as 44 at one point, nowadays aged 60 and doing little cardio work it's around 50-55 which is still low.

Heart rate monitors are v. useful for interval training, when the heart rate has fallen sufficiently it's time for another hard effort. If the heart rate isn`t dropping sufficiently between reps something needs to change....but your body will already be telling you you're knackered at that point.

Heart rate monitors won`t get you fit, training will get you fit. Use one if you feel happier, but don`t be a slave to it. And it does make sense to check it's accurate........time your pulse for 15 secs and multiply by 4 using your trusty analogue quartz watch to confirm what it's telling you.

So, what do you do if you're training harder but not improving? Usually there's a reason for this and it may not be directly related to running. Stress from work or life in general can be a factor, usually causing blood pressure to rise. It's possible to have elevated blood pressure whilst still doing plenty of exercise, that happened to me in my early 40s and it was stress-related. Iron deficiency is always something to keep an eye on too, in the past it was always believed that heavy training increased the body's demands for iron and I doubt that's changed. Sometimes it's a simple case of insufficient sleep, leading to what used to be known as chronic tiredness.

If I was training reasonably hard again these are the factors I'd pay attention to, it's all about fundamentals. Thesedays there's too much emphasis on the high tech stuff in my opinion, running's a simple activity and generally you can feel when it's going well.........or not so well. Good diet, plenty of sleep, and above all listen to your body......and that only comes with experience. Keep a running diary and be sure to record how you feel, it's a great feeling when you can run a decent time for a training run and write 'felt good' afterwards!

I miss running, but with two knackered achilles tendons and one dodgy knee I think father time's telling me something; can`t see me doing much more in the future and that saddens me.

Paul

I completely agree that GPS watches and HRMs etc can be very useful and I do use one, primarily because I am a bit of a geek and like to look at how far I have run etc, and I also agree that they can get in the way of what should be something very basic.

The enjoyment of just running, without headphones/stopwatches/HRM's/GPS tracking etc is very liberating from the days stresses and is just great.
    Just a quiet path, a decent cool day, nobody around, just you and the sounds of the birds. Basically what Pacifichronos photos above seem to show!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Maysie View Post
    If you are anything like me, the weather has a huge impact on your ability to breath effectively, and therefore run effectively, and therefore your heart rate. I really struggle when it is hot and run much more efficiently when there is a gentle breeze and no full sun.

You will also have some good days and some bad days with no rhyme or reason.
    Completely agree with the above. As mentioned before, my top 3 have all been during the peak of winter. Heat has a huge impact on my performance and I feel not everyone suffers as much as I do with the rise in temperatures.

Today I ignored time/pace and focussed on heart rate only. I couldn't keep it within my target range of 117-153 but today's numbers of 170 avg./180 max. are still better than the last 180 avg./206 max. It came at a cost of 2:45 increase in finish time though, similar to Wolfie.

The good thing was that I didn't need to walk. Well I had to for a few seconds on a couple of occasions because of getting stuck behind people but it wasn't out of exhaustion, which is usually the case.

I will keep trying to bring HR down. Getting used to running even slower doesn't seem to be as easy as I thought but need to stick to this new way for a good few runs.

I completely agree that GPS watches and HRMs etc can be very useful and I do use one, primarily because I am a bit of a geek and like to look at how far I have run etc, and I also agree that they can get in the way of what should be something very basic.

The enjoyment of just running, without headphones/stopwatches/HRM's/GPS tracking etc is very liberating from the days stresses and is just great.
    Just a quiet path, a decent cool day, nobody around, just you and the sounds of the birds. Basically what Pacifichronos photos above seem to show!
    Except I'm always out there headbanging to Heart, the Kinks, Meatloaf, etc.!

Blog Entries
    Some great posts above…. Running is a simple thing made too complicated….

Like PC, I enjoy a banging tune along the way (even though we have different tastes!!!

I shall listen to my body!!! Not stare at a watch!

Music is a performance enhancer.

Worth finding a race that allows you headphones (if you're looking for a PB).

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by AlphaOmega View Post
    +1. Not least because it distracts from hearing one’s panting

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaOmega View Post
    +1. Not least because it distracts from hearing one’s panting
    Don't get me wrong, I run to music most of the time and use AudioFuel podcasts to help with my footfall/cadence speed, which is generally very slow.

I made my own running playlist shortly after completing the C25k and nearly died running to the Fratellis Chelsea Dagger. The BPM was fine, but the music just made me run far too fast! Not helped by a bit of the Prodigy Firestarter afterwards....

Too much motivation, too soon I think.

I made my own running playlist shortly after completing the C25k and nearly died running to the Fratellis Chelsea Dagger.
    That's on one of my playlists - it's a cracker. The one track that can inspire me to run, even when absolutely on my chinstrap, is Lose Yourself by Eminem. I can thank Clive Woodward's Desert Island Discs for that one - I'm not sure I would have accidentally chanced upon it otherwise.
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

Currently enjoying Darude "Sandstorm", and most anything from the Prodigy.

Any runners?

Yay! Couch25k week one nailed!

Found a nice run along river path. Great weather and well thought out podcast.

Instead of running for one min on last run section i pushed and ran for three! Hero me Hahahaha

Really recommend this program.

Side note... my resting rate is 58bpm and after the run today it was 138bpm... any thoughts on this?

Quote Originally Posted by T1ckT0ck View Post

Instead of running for one min on last run section i pushed and ran for three! Hero me Hahahaha

Side note... my resting rate is 58bpm and after the run today it was 138bpm... any thoughts on this?

Well done! Both bpm’s sound fine. If you want an additional check on how you are improving, measure the bpm 5 minutes after you stop as well. As you get fitter it will come down a bit faster.

Just got these in the mail last night and gave them a five-mile spin this morning: A+

Craftsman

Any runners?

They look interesting. I wear NB fresh foam Zante for road but Inov8 for fell/trail.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by T1ckT0ck View Post

Nice one. No idea about the bpm but measurements at 1 and 6 minutes after stopping seemed to be indicative to me. I was thinking yesterday at the end of the parkrun and I stood at the funnel clapping the 39 to 45 minute runners in, that it is much tougher for them. Boy some of those ladies and gents are working really hard.

Some bpm numbers.

I’m 54, a regular runner but by no means club level or anything like that. I just ran 5k in just over 25 mins, which is my regular pace, although it is pretty warm today. Using a reliable method, my pulse at the end immediately after I stopped was 134. 5 minutes later, after walking around, getting changed etc., it was 110.

Hope this helps anyone trying to calibrate their own experience. Obviously everyone is different.

Craftsman
    16k run today at 5.37/km which felt good. My pace was a bit slower as my running partner was struggling a bit from around 11k onwards so we had to slow down from 5.25ish to nearly 6mins

Quote Originally Posted by alfat33 View Post
    Well done! Both bpm’s sound fine. If you want an additional check on how you are improving, measure the bpm 5 minutes after you stop as well. As you get fitter it will come down a bit faster.
    Thanks! I’m sitting in the sun with a beer and bbq fired up and thinking I’m actually looking forward to my first run of week two! New week, new route planned, going to do that each week i think.

I will do as you suggest and see how my recovery bpm is after.

Ran an easy 4.5 miles this morning in my new Fresh Foam Hierra v3s. Kept my HR to 130s or less.

https://i.imgur.com/Ui29MXb.mp4

Last edited by pacifichrono; 22nd July 2018 at 20:11.

Stay safe PC keep an eye out for cougars

Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    I occasionally think about that.

So first run week two C25k...

Resting 58
    After run 134, then based on five min periods it drops 100, 86, 76...

Doesn’t seem like recovery is that good, do i need to take it easier? Found a pace i like but it might be too quick?

I’d say that looks very good.

Me too, good recovery BPMs.

Master
    First “cool run” today after a long time and I managed to improve my PB. Not by a huge margin but this is the first time since February that I have been able to beat my best so I’m still happy. Getting drenched in the rain was annoying and I had to be extra careful on some slippery surfaces but I would prefer that over 35 °C any day!

Average heart rate was 168 which is still higher than the upper limit of my target range but better than 180-190 that I had been averaging in hot weather.

First “cool run” today after a long time and I managed to improve my PB. Not by a huge margin but this is the first time since February that I have been able to beat my best so I’m still happy. Getting drenched in the rain was annoying and I had to be extra careful on some slippery surfaces but I would prefer that over 35 °C any day!

Average heart rate was 168 which is still higher than the upper limit of my target range but better than 180-190 that I had been averaging in hot weather.
    What heart rate monitor were you using and how long were you able to maintain a 168 bpm rate?

Master
    What heart rate monitor were you using and how long were you able to maintain a 168 bpm rate?
    Still using Apple Watch. 167 was the average for my 28 minute run but it hit 180 at times. I am not convinced it is accurate and tbh I have given up on running to heart rate. It gets very high very quickly when I run and takes ages to come back down when I slow down. At best, there is a huge lag in the update. My condition during the run is not as bad as the heart rate suggests. Interestingly, it never reports anywhere near such high HR during my strength training workouts at the gym which aren’t exactly “light”.

Now I just try to listen to my body and keep checking the pace more frequently to keep it steady. It seems to be helping.

Still using Apple Watch. 167 was the average for my 28 minute run but it hit 180 at times. I am not convinced it is accurate and tbh I have given up on running to heart rate. It gets very high very quickly when I run and takes ages to come back down when I slow down. At best, there is a huge lag in the update. My condition during the run is not as bad as the heart rate suggests. Interestingly, it never reports anywhere near such high HR during my strength training workouts at the gym which aren’t exactly “light”.

Now I just try to listen to my body and keep checking the pace more frequently to keep it steady. It seems to be helping.
    The Apple Watch uses the same heart rate monitoring methodology as my TomTom: photoplethysmography reading throught the skin on the wrist. My TomTom has become wildly inaccurate at times - - often reporting heart rates higher than my MAXIMUM estimated bpm, and this while I'm jogging along at a nice, easy pace!

The chest band devices, while much more "clumsy" and "uncool," are far more accurate and consistent in reporting real heart rates, IMO.

Just finished week four of c25k... going really well. If anyone is thinking about trying it then go for it, grab the podcast and move that booty!

Craftsman
    End of week 3 of half marathon training plan here and all going well

Today’s run length in the plan is 1 hour 45 minutes which would have taken us to around 19.5k based on our current pace so we have decided to extend it and do the half marathon distance today at around 5.30min/km target pace to get us in under 2 hours.

This will be a great confidence boost as under 2 hours was our original target but we have re-evaluated and are looking at under 1 hour 50 minutes now as the target

Still a long way to go in terms of training but it’s been enjoyable so far with 3 session per week (Tempo, speed and long run)

Quote Originally Posted by mk2driver View Post
    End of week 3 of half marathon training plan here and all going well

Today’s run length in the plan is 1 hour 45 minutes which would have taken us to around 19.5k based on our current pace so we have decided to extend it and do the half marathon distance today at around 5.30min/km target pace to get us in under 2 hours.

This will be a great confidence boost as under 2 hours was our original target but we have re-evaluated and are looking at under 1 hour 50 minutes now as the target

Still a long way to go in terms of training but it’s been enjoyable so far with 3 session per week (Tempo, speed and long run)
    Great! Keep up with the training and progress.

Craftsman
    Half marathon completed this morning in 1.54 with really consistent splits as well. Felt strong and the dip in temperature definitely helped!

Journeyman
    Good effort, well done. a big plus to feel strong at the Finnish, no doubt helped by your consistent splits not always easy to do in a half as the temptation is to go off too fast and die in the later stages.

Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    Since I'm over 70 now (71 in a few weeks) and sometimes hit the trails early in the morning, I decided it might be wise to carry a little 'protection,' just in case I look too much like an easy meal for a mountain lion, Mexican wolf, or pack of coyote (lots around here). Just so they don't take it away and use it on ME!

Cool PC now you're a blade runner

some talk in the thread about heart-rate and exertion, an app I'm starting to get into to measure HRV is:

https://www.hrv4training.com/

Also takes in data from Strava etc.

I measure myself as soon as I wake up using the iPhone camera, but its an interesting insight into your rested/stressed training state.

(I normally run with a Fenix 5X, but with a HR band rather than trusting its optical sensor).

Master
    Would love to join this thread. Started off with C25k, which changed everything for me. Now participating in local Parkruns and signed up to a 10k in September.
    Not a quick runner, but my aim is to just go out there and participate. Will follow with interest and add where I can!

Master
    Doing my second marathon start of October. Looking to better my previous best although I didn’t start training with the same base I had before.

Hoping adrenaline and 4 weeks of hard graft and a tougher taper will see me through. I popped in a half marathon in training last Sunday so 2 more of those and a couple of 20 milers should see me right.

Craftsman
    Another half marathon now completed in training yesterday - 1.46.50 this time. That was the day after I also PB’d parkrun with a 21.28

Shattered yesterday and today after that

Master
    You are making me feel bad. Only managed a 5k on my holiday. Back on it tomorrow when normal service is resumed.