closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Any runners?

Grand Master
    I was running regularly in the mid-70s, coughing up phlem with flecks of black in it was routine. Atmospheric lead concentrations must’ve been unhealthy too......best not to think about it!

Paul

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    I was running regularly in the mid-70s, coughing up phlem with flecks of black in it was routine. Atmospheric lead concentrations must’ve been unhealthy too......best not to think about it!

Paul
    Yeah doesn’t sound great

Just sorting a few things now and then off for a 12k training run which will be the longest I’ve ever done, hoping it goes OK

Craftsman
    Well just completed my 10k race in 24 degree heat and some killer hills in 48.42! Smashed my target time of sub 55

I have booked Birmingham half marathon and will now start on a 12 week training program for it

Booked a wolf run in September for some fun as well with some mates from work and will try and do a 10k trail run race in August

Congratulations- good job and a very respectable time well done !

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Yes, congratulations! Well done. Twelve weeks of solid training for your Half Marathon will get you fit to tackle that new challenge. Good luck!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mk2driver View Post
    Well just completed my 10k race in 24 degree heat and some killer hills in 48.42! Smashed my target time of sub 55

I have booked Birmingham half marathon and will now start on a 12 week training program for it

Booked a wolf run in September for some fun as well with some mates from work and will try and do a 10k trail run race in August
    Good work…. Banged out 5km this morning…. Killer in this heat!!!

Well done

Master
    My running routine began in February 2017 on Storm Doris day. Of course I didn’t plan for it to begin in unfortunate weather but having brought my gear to work, I was determined to go out and try it despite the 50+ mph winds. The idea was that if I could start on a day like that, I would hopefully find motivation to stick with it long term. So far I am very pleased with my persistence and kind of addicted to it even though I can’t say that I enjoy it!

A couple of weeks in, I suffered from ITBS last year. Ever since I have been religiously following the program given by the physio to cure it and thankfully it hasn’t returned. It involves extensive, time consuming and awkward looking post-run stretching plus lower body strengthening exercises at the gym on non-run days.

What I am not happy with is the extremely slow improvement in my pace. Also, during hot weather, my time increases far more than I would like it to. My route is about 5.2km only but my PB is pathetic at 28 mins for that distance. And that was in weather I find best for running: 15-16 degrees, very light pleasant breeze, no rain. I did a charity run last week and was very disappointed when I found that compared to last year, I was only 2.5 mins faster, despite not repeating last year’s (which was my first ever race) numerous mistakes. The heat during both races was equally unhelpful at 30 degrees.

I am not looking to increase my distance, just interested in brining my times inside the “respectable zone”. I hope this thread will be useful with all the tips on offer.

You don't mention your age, training frequency, intensity level, etc.

The most obvious recommendation I can make is that you mix up your training to include 'fast' interval training, hills, etc. I guarantee your PR will improve within 30 days.

Your age and weight would be helpful to us FK77, as PC mentioned above.

I'd suggest you're getting in a bit of a rut. The 28 mins has become comfortable (although depending on your age and weight, not to be sneezed at).

One thing you can try, which might give slow but noticeable gains, is to "speed up for one lamp post". It's a watered-down interval training. You'll regret it when you slow back down, you might even think you won't finish the race without walking, but within a minute you will have recovered.

If you run the same course then find some km markers then try to hit 5m for each marker. I know it sounds obvious but it is probably pace that is your “problem” rather than ability to actually do the required speed.

Master
    FK77 as I posted above, as you are in London join the free weekly 5km Parkruns. There is going to be one close to you. In Harrow there are 7/8 within 5 miles - all slightly different, indeed South Oxhey is all off road and hilly, so a minute slower than (say) Northala. Running in groups with others will certainly speed you up,even if that becomes your only fast session each week.

Grand Master
    Running a half-marathon is far more demanding than running 10k! To do it comfortably requires a fair amount of mileage/distance and it takes time to build up to doing this.

The OP’s made good progress and will continue to do so, but there’s a danger of trying to do too much too soon and getting injuries. I would concentrate on getting down to an ideal running weight before starting to increase mileage, to run a half- marathon in comfort requires 40-50 miles/week and it takes time to build up to that level. The body has to adapt to distance running and it doesn’t happen overnight, steady consistent progress is the key.

Another point to consider: the faster you run the easier the half- marathon becomes. Think about it, running for 90 minutes is far easier than running for 2 hrs and to me that’s a big incentive to get into good shape beore attempting it. Aim to be running 10 miles comfortably and consistently, once you reach that point you need a few more weeks training and you’re there. If you’re busting a gut to struggle round 10 miles you’re definitely not ready.

Paul

Master
    Sorry guys for skipping vital bits of info. Age 40, weight 84 kg, height 5’11”. I run 2-3 times a week, 5.2 km each run and for intensity, according to my Apple Watch the average heart rate is usually around 180 - 190 bpm (don’t know how accurate it is). In addition to running, I do lengthy gym sessions twice a week: one day focussed on upper body strength and the other day on lower body strength. The Boditrax machine at my gym now consistently shows my metabolic age to be a year younger than my actual age. When I started monitoring it about 15 months ago, it showed me 12 years older than I was then. So not all bad.

I have to walk a bit during the running session to catch my breath and to sip water, typically around the half way mark but sometimes earlier or later too depending on the weather. After walking I try to sprint to recover some of my lost time so there is an element of HIIT involved but certainly not in a disciplined manner. Out of the 115+ runs since starting, only about 5 consisted of total running without any walking involved but those were NOT my fastest average times.

I think lighter = faster may be the key here. I fully understand that exercise only plays a small part and diet is the bigger factor when trying to lose fat. However, I love food and can’t control my diet for extended periods of time. Have done it for a few weeks and then always think **** it, I can’t carry on like this and if that means I don’t lose any fat or lose it very slowly, so be it. At least I am not gaining weight and all the exercise means I am stronger and more active than ever before. I may need to change that mentality if I want to get quicker I guess.

Running a half-marathon is far more demanding than running 10k! To do it comfortably requires a fair amount of mileage/distance and it takes time to build up to doing this.

The OP’s made good progress and will continue to do so, but there’s a danger of trying to do too much too soon and getting injuries. I would concentrate on getting down to an ideal running weight before starting to increase mileage, to run a half- marathon in comfort requires 40-50 miles/week and it takes time to build up to that level. The body has to adapt to distance running and it doesn’t happen overnight, steady consistent progress is the key.

Another point to consider: the faster you run the easier the half- marathon becomes. Think about it, running for 90 minutes is far easier than running for 2 hrs and to me that’s a big incentive to get into good shape beore attempting it. Aim to be running 10 miles comfortably and consistently, once you reach that point you need a few more weeks training and you’re there. If you’re busting a gut to struggle round 10 miles you’re definitely not ready.

Paul
    I would disagree that running a half requires 40-50 mpw. I didn't go above this for any of my marathons and did many halves on 20mpw

OP, my advice would be to focus on a training plan. There are plenty online that are free of charge (eg runners world) but broadly you need to vary your running. Think:

1 slow easy run (Monday) 4 miles (145bpm)

1 interval session ideally at a running track doing something like 5x800m with one minute break at goal 5k pace

1 longer run (eg 10k at a mid pace at 160bpm

One thing to bear in mind is that running is not rocket science, broadly you are training your body to get faster for the same output.

More miles, less weight, better technique and more speed sessions will achieve this

Sent from my SM-G950F using TZ-UK mobile app

My wife to be is a runner. I’m looking to join in on the fun once I drop a little more weight. So far I’ve dropped 54 lbs almost four stones and at 6’ 2” and 282 lbs I’ve got a way to go before I’m ready to hit the park runs and open roads, my treadmill is just fine for now.

Quote Originally Posted by FK77 View Post
    Sorry guys for skipping vital bits of info. Age 40, weight 84 kg, height 5’11”. I run 2-3 times a week, 5.2 km each run and for intensity, according to my Apple Watch the average heart rate is usually around 180 - 190 bpm (don’t know how accurate it is).
    Mate, you are doing brilliantly, but take it a bit easier. 190bpm is very high over a sustained period, according to everything I have ever been taught. FWIW I’ve done a few half marathons in 1hr45 (when properly fit) and currently run twice a week about 5-10k, so by no means superfit. I rarely go above 150bpm. I’m 54 and 77kg, 182cm.

If you keep building it up the heart rate will come down but it takes time.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by alfat33 View Post
    Mate, you are doing brilliantly, but take it a bit easier. 190bpm is very high over a sustained period, according to everything I have ever been taught.
    Hmm just looked at this from BHF and see what you mean. According to them, max for my age should be 180 bpm and they recommend keeping it between 50% and 70% i.e. 90-126 bpm. Apple Watch HR monitor must be wildly out though. If max is 180 for a normal person of my age, there is no way my average could be in the 180-190 range. It even recorded an average of 143 bpm for my last post-run stretching session (12 mins), although just after running it is expected to still be high. Interestingly, my average HR for the last gym workout (1h 33m duration) was pretty much in the middle of the recommended range but then it includes short resting periods of course.

I want to be able to run a bit faster but certainly not keen on death by exercise!

I don’t know how accurate the Apple Watch is regarding bpm. Obviously you can check yourself by counting your wrist or neck pulse. This being a watch forum there will be plenty of options for timing the count. Perhaps buying one of those cool vintage ‘Pulsations’ chronos is in order ;).

Someone recommended the Cardio app to me, which works by you putting your finger on the iPhone lens and light. I have found that highly accurate, if you want to calibrate your Apple watch.

I would say though you will get just as fit, just as quickly, running at 70% as you will at 90%, even if it feels like you are not trying. You might only have to back off by 15-30s a km to make quite a difference in the bpm.

Out of interest do you know your resting pulse?

Master
    Perhaps buying one of those cool vintage ‘Pulsations’ chronos is in order ;).
    I am on the list for the new CK2998 with Pulsometer

Out of interest do you know your resting pulse?
    Resting HR is typically around 65, again quoting Apple Watch.

I am on the list for the new CK2998 with Pulsometer

Resting HR is typically around 65, again quoting Apple Watch.
    Lucky you!

65 is OK. Mine was about that when I started running again regularly (been on and off for 40 years now). Now it’s more like 48-50 if I haven’t just drunk coffee, which just shows you don’t have to be running marathons every week to make quite a difference.

Re: Apple Watch, maybe rather than using it for HR try using the Nike run app to get an idea on pace. I’m an amateur runner but found pacing was always a problem for me until I got the Apple Watch. Now I know what’s a steady pace, fast pace, slow pace etc based on my ability and running technique.

I’ve also learnt what pace I can sustain for what period, ie ten k pace at X is sustainable but if I’m running a five k I can manage pace Y, 20k means Z etc

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by oliverte View Post
    I would disagree that running a half requires 40-50 mpw. I didn't go above this for any of my marathons and did many halves on 20mpw

OP, my advice would be to focus on a training plan. There are plenty online that are free of charge (eg runners world) but broadly you need to vary your running. Think:

1 slow easy run (Monday) 4 miles (145bpm)

1 interval session ideally at a running track doing something like 5x800m with one minute break at goal 5k pace

1 longer run (eg 10k at a mid pace at 160bpm

One thing to bear in mind is that running is not rocket science, broadly you are training your body to get faster for the same output.

More miles, less weight, better technique and more speed sessions will achieve this

I am using a plan similar to yours based on the link below

https://www.hornetjuice.com/half-mar...ining-program/

Mate and I are going to train and run together - currently we have similar 5 and 10k pace so will see if we end up at the same pace but no reason why not

Yes I’m still heavier than I should be but running is helping and so far I’ve hit it exceeded every target. I’m determined and have played rugby competitively for years which I think has helped as when times get tough during runs I have the mentality to keep going

Currently loving it and based on training plans and talking to running friends I see no reason that with 12 weeks dedication I can’t run the half marathon

I’ve also already ran 13k comfortably last week but could have extended to 10 miles as I was comfortable at the end but didn’t want to push too far before the race
    Last edited by mk2driver; 9th July 2018 at 20:26.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tiny73 View Post
    Re: Apple Watch, maybe rather than using it for HR try using the Nike run app to get an idea on pace.
    I already have the Nike+ Run Club app as the watch is Nike+ Edition. Never used it though because I had been using the Run Keeper app on the phone prior to getting the watch and decided to stick with it on the watch too for continuity and keep adding to the history I had built. I shall give NRC a go too and see what useful metrics it can provide.

I already have the Nike+ Run Club app as the watch is Nike+ Edition. Never used it though because I had been using the Run Keeper app on the phone prior to getting the watch and decided to stick with it on the watch too for continuity and keep adding to the history I had built. I shall give NRC a go too and see what useful metrics it can provide.

Make sure you you switch on “all metrics” (swipe right to get to that screen) and you get average pace etc. I find it v useful.

Very inspiring thread, I’m 44 and 20 years ago I classed myself as fit and loving the gym and runs but now I’m slightly concerned about my health..

Touch wood nothing has given me cause for concern other than a higher than average rested heart rate, perhaps some small gentle runs will help in bringing this down.

Another aspect is a friend who I class as fit, he regularly runs and cycles, has a ridiculously low rested heart rate but has just been told by the doctor to keep his cholesterol in check as it’s a little high! This has made me think I need a once over MOT and should be starting back up some cardio..
    I’ll be keeping tabs on this thread..

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tiny73 View Post
    Make sure you you switch on “all metrics” (swipe right to get to that screen) and you get average pace etc. I find it v useful.
    I already have, in preparation for tomorrow Btw Runkeeper app also displays the avg pace, among other things. It also nudges me via haptics after every km I complete. If I raise my wrist within a few seconds of that feedback, the screen momentarily shows the average pace for that km split alone, whether it was up or down compared to the last km and by how much. I have all the data, just not processing it as I should lol.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post
    Another aspect is a friend who I class as fit, he regularly runs and cycles, has a ridiculously low rested heart rate but has just been told by the doctor to keep his cholesterol in check as it’s a little high!
    Weird, isn’t it? About 6 years ago, I was eating far more junk than now, was embarrassingly lazy doing zero exercise (no gym, no running, ever), weighed a lot more and had a ridiculously large waist. Despite all that my cholesterol level was excellent. Within a year of changing my lifestyle, everything improved but cholesterol raised slightly. Not high enough to require any treatment and am told should go down with carrying on exercising and eating right. The only explanation I have is that perhaps age has more of an effect on it than exercise/diet?

It arrived today (joys of Amazon Prime) - I didn’t realise just how much information was in there, it’s over 650 pages!

Did the 8k at 5am this morning and it felt good at 5.30/km pace. Another run like this or a bit longer at the weekend planned
    Sounds like all is going well! I hope the book is coming in useful for you 👍🏻

Craftsman

Paul
    No need to be running 40-50 miles a week to train for a half. That's more like Marathon training for your average club runner. Different for serious runners/elites but no need to go that far for a fist half.
    Last edited by GMC41; 10th July 2018 at 08:15.

Master
    Used the Nike+ Run Club app for today's run. It doesn't give anything more than Runkeeper. I like being able to edit the map on the website when the watch GPS gets it wrong and Runkeeper just seems generally more flexible and user-friendly. Think I will stick to it and make better use of the info but good to try something different nonetheless.

Lots of people lining the north and south banks and the two bridges I use to cross the river to watch the RAF flypast today. Very slow run due to the crowds but never mind.

PS: No need to worry btw ... I don't intend to update this thread after every run Just wanted to express my views on Nike+ app.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GMC41 View Post
    No need to be running 40-50 miles a week to train for a half. That's more like Marathon training for your average club runner. Different for serious runners/elites but no need to go that far for a fist half.
    40 miles/week isn`t a lot when you break it down. Anyone who wants to run a half-marathon in reasonable comfort should be able to run 10 miles once or twice/week. That leaves 6 days to run 30 miles. Based on running 5 days/week and two rest days (sensible for a relative novice) that works out to a couple of 8 milers and a couple of 6 milers run at significantly faster pace. Make one of the 8s a 10 and you've got 40 miles/week.

I see no point in struggling to run a half marathon simply for the sake of saying you've done it. That's why I advise building up steadily, and I use the 40-50 miles/week as a yardstick. If you can do that amount of running without feeling chronically tired you're ready, if not you've some way to go. Part of the process is getting your body to adapt to training; it helps if you don`t have a physical job but your body has to adapt and it doesn`t come overnight. Diet and sleep also play a big part in it, although I always found I slept better when training hard. On the topic of diet, I think it's worth taking a sensible amount of vitamin and iron supplements, nothing silly but sufficient to safeguard against deficiency. I`d also take 200mg of Vitamin C daily, and be sure to drink plenty of fluids. All part of getting the body adapted to the rigours of running, it's like building a pyramid from a broad base to keep it stable.

My background was short middle-distance many years ago. At the age of 24 I trained up for a half-marathon over a 3 month period; coming from a background of around 20-30 miles/week and an ideal running weight I upped the mileage to 50-60/week with plenty of quality . Target time for me was 75 mins, I managed 78mins and struggled.

I wouldn't underestimate the half-marathon, it's a long way to run! Ideally I would advocate doing a couple of slow over-distance runs of 15 miles prior to the event, if you're not able to do that you're not ready. In hindsight that's what I did wrong, I was good for 10 miles and not much more.....and believe me another 3 miles is a LOT more!

Thesedays everyone's into fitbits and apps etc and measuring/plotting everything. That's fine as an aid, but the way you're actually feeling is just as important. A regular health check is worthwhile, particularly to check for anaemia which can occur when training hard. The absorption of iron is quite complex; coupled with the fact that your body needs more iron when training hard it's possible to end up anaemic even when eating a reasonable diet.

Everyone's different, but I wouldn't tackle 13 miles unless I was in the right shape to do it. I think it's a mistake to rush preparation in a fit of over-enthusiasm. It's like building a pyramid, get the base broad and stable....and that takes time.

Paul
    Last edited by walkerwek1958; 10th July 2018 at 22:49.

40 miles/week isn`t a lot when you break it down. Anyone who wants to run a half-marathon in reasonable comfort should be able to run 10 miles once or twice/week. That leaves 6 days to run 30 miles. Based on running 5 days/week and two rest days (sensible for a relative novice) that works out to a couple of 8 milers and a couple of 6 milers run at significantly faster pace. Make one of the 8s a 10 and you've got 40 miles/week.

I see no point in struggling to run a half marathon simply for the sake of saying you've done it. That's why I advise building up steadily, and I use the 40-50 miles/week as a yardstick. If you can do that amount of running without feeling chronically tired you're ready, if not you've some way to go. Part of the process is getting your body to adapt to training; it helps if you don`t have a physical job but your body has to adapt and it doesn`t come overnight. Diet and sleep also play a big part in it, although I always found I slept better when training hard. On the topic of diet, I think it's worth taking a sensible amount of vitamin and iron supplements, nothing silly but sufficient to safeguard against deficiency. I`d also take 200mg of Vitamin C daily, and be sure to drink plenty of fluids. All part of getting the body adapted to the rigours of running, it's like building a pyramid from a broad base to keep it stable.

My background was short middle-distance many years ago. At the age of 24 I trained up for a half-marathon over a 3 month period; coming from a background of around 20-30 miles/week and an ideal running weight I upped the mileage to 50-60/week with plenty of quality . Target time for me was 75 mins, I managed 78mins and struggled.

I wouldn't underestimate the half-marathon, it's a long way to run! Ideally I would advocate doing a couple of slow over-distance runs of 15 miles prior to the event, if you're not able to do that you're not ready. In hindsight that's what I did wrong, I was good for 10 miles and not much more.....and believe me another 3 miles is a LOT more!

Thesedays everyone's into fitbits and apps etc and measuring/plotting everything. That's fine as an aid, but the way you're actually feeling is just as important. A regular health check is worthwhile, particularly to check for anaemia which can occur when training hard. The absorption of iron is quite complex; coupled with the fact that your body needs more iron when training hard it's possible to end up anaemic even when eating a reasonable diet.

Everyone's different, but I wouldn't tackle 13 miles unless I was in the right shape to do it. I think it's a mistake to rush preparation in a fit of over-enthusiasm. It's like building a pyramid, get the base broad and stable....and that takes time.

Paul
    We're talking different goals here. 75 minutes is a decent club runners time and would put you into ~top 2% of finishers

Most would be happy <100 minutes for a half in which case no need for 40-50 mpw.

I agree that more miles is beneficial but first go for the low hanging fruit. What's the point in doing 50 mpw and risking achilles strain and injury when you can do a well structured 20 miles comprised of decent speed sessions and easy recovery runs?

To me, smartest running is smarter training not simply more miles.

Reading through this thread has prompted me to get off of my lazy backside and get back out for a cheeky run yesterday.
    Nothing fancy, just a slow 30ish minute 5k jog with two short breaks towards the end to catch my breath.

I did the C25k podcast programme around 4 years ago and the biggest surprise was that I actually enjoyed running at the end of it. I have never been a runner and never for a second thought I would actually enjoy it, but I wanted to prove to myself that I could complete the full c25k course.

Yesterday was my first run for 11 months, so I have a fair way to go before any sort of fitness returns.

I remember the old adage: 'a bad run is better than no run at all', so getting out of the door was by far the hardest part. Quite enjoyed it when I got out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Maysie View Post
    Reading through this thread has prompted me to get off of my lazy backside and get back out for a cheeky run yesterday.
    Nothing fancy, just a slow 30ish minute 5k jog with two short breaks towards the end to catch my breath.

I did the C25k podcast programme around 4 years ago and the biggest surprise was that I actually enjoyed running at the end of it. I have never been a runner and never for a second thought I would actually enjoy it, but I wanted to prove to myself that I could complete the full c25k course.

Yesterday was my first run for 11 months, so I have a fair way to go before any sort of fitness returns.

I remember the old adage: 'a bad run is better than no run at all', so getting out of the door was by far the hardest part. Quite enjoyed it when I got out there.
    Great result! Congratulations!

Anyone on here off to Park Run in the morning?

Craftsman
    Great result! Congratulations!

I will be probably. Not been for a few weeks so good to get back there.

Master

Yes, though timekeeping at Harrow this morning, as we have the summer league 10k in Regents Park tomorrow morning,hosted by Mornington Chasers

Quote Originally Posted by GMC41 View Post
    I will be probably. Not been for a few weeks so good to get back there.
    Good man!

I put in a dismal performance but gave it all I could!

Hate the 5K but great when it's done

I got up early this morning and cranked out six miles of run/walking in Los Penasquitos Canyon Preserve near my house in San Diego. There's a waterfall about three miles out that makes a good turnaround point.

Journeyman

48.42 for your first is awesome. I just completed my first 10k myself in 1hour and was pleased with that.

I did the summer wolf run was really good fun.

Just completed my first NHS couch to 5k session. I thought I’d be fine as I’m fairly slim and didn’t consider myself too unfit... i was wrong! Felt pretty good after and looking forward to repeating it.

It’s structured through listening to a podcast telling you when to walk / run. Covered around three miles in first session which surprised me.

Seems a good way to get started.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by T1ckT0ck View Post
    Just completed my first NHS couch to 5k session. I thought I’d be fine as I’m fairly slim and didn’t consider myself too unfit... i was wrong! Felt pretty good after and looking forward to repeating it.

It’s structured through listening to a podcast telling you when to walk / run. Covered around three miles in first session which surprised me.

I did a couch to 5k last year and it was really good, did exactly what it said. Mind you, I then lapsed hugely, which is why I signed up for a 10 mile run in September this year and I'm in the process of training for that which is keeping me running. Happily, I did retain some of the fitness boost from the couch to 5k!
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

Quote Originally Posted by T1ckT0ck View Post

Well done.

Stick to it and it will get you there, don't skip any of the sessions, even when you feel you are capable and want to get ahead - it will probably come back and bite you later.

It works in a very clever way and pushes you just far enough each session, whilst building strength, fitness and stamina through the various sessions. Resting for recovery between sessions too is very important.

I stuck to the 3 times per week when I did it a few years ago and as the fitness improves, so does your hunger to get out for another run as the endorphins beat away the lethargy.

Keep us posted with how you are getting on.

Quote Originally Posted by pacifichrono View Post
    I got up early this morning and cranked out six miles of run/walking in Los Penasquitos Canyon Preserve near my house in San Diego. There's a waterfall about three miles out that makes a good turnaround point.

That looks like a lovely run.

Interval training helped me gain some speed.

Also running to heart rate was a help. If you have something decent and reliable that measures heart rate, do a run where your HR doesn't exceed 180 - your age. As and when it goes over that figure, slow down to bring it down, even walk. Continue to do this for your run. Do it for 30 mins, and make a note of how far you go. Keep repeating this 30 min run a couple of times a week and guarantee you'll be going further in those 30 mins but using the same energy.

Malc

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm68 View Post
    Interval training helped me gain some speed.

Also running to heart rate was a help. If you have something decent and reliable that measures heart rate, do a run where your HR doesn't exceed 180 - your age. As and when it goes over that figure, slow down to bring it down, even walk. Continue to do this for your run. Do it for 30 mins, and make a note of how far you go. Keep repeating this 30 min run a couple of times a week and guarantee you'll be going further in those 30 mins but using the same energy.

Malc
    I averaged 152bpm on my 5km run today (I’m 45)

I feel comfortable…. Should I be taking it steadier?

Sounds like a complicated way to go faster…. Just trying to work out how you do it….

My focus is just on having a little think and listening to a few tunes!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
    I averaged 152bpm on my 5km run today (I’m 45)

I feel comfortable…. Should I be taking it steadier?
    I’m not a doctor but I typically run at around 150bpm (no more) and I am 54. My resting rate is about 50 these days. It must vary from person to person. The advice about running to a manageable rate is very good though, definitely worked for me when getting back into it.

Blog Entries
    I’m not a doctor but I typically run at around 150bpm (no more) and I am 54. My resting rate is about 50 these days. It must vary from person to person. The advice about running to a manageable rate is very good though, definitely worked for me when getting back into it.
    So, don’t push too hard…. Can you get watches that will alert you too slow down a bit? I have a Fitbit which works well, but, not instant feedback

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
    So, don’t push too hard…. Can you get watches that will alert you too slow down a bit? I have a Fitbit which works well, but, not instant feedback
    Apple Watch can notify you when the heart rate goes above a configurable value but unfortunately only when you’ve been inactive for at least 10 minutes. It is designed to alert the user if the resting heart rate elevates too much. Most running/workout apps can have it on display though but you will have to keep looking at the screen. You can enable audio stats in apps like Runkeeper and Nike+ Run Club as well.

I averaged 180 bpm again today and hit a high of 206 bpm, if it can be trusted. Need to learn to manage it better.

Never thought of using heart rate as a way to go faster but I changed the display from average pace to current pace and kept monitoring it frequently during my previous run. It definitely helped me keep a steady pace and record a decent time. I didn’t beat my PB but got very close to it, which I was happy with, considering the heat. My 3 fastest runs have all been during subzero temperatures so getting in the same zone in +24 degrees felt like a minor achievement.

I found that at first I had to keep checking my heart rate (I had a Polar heart monitor band at the time) but after 6 months or so I gradually got used to what it felt like at different levels. I could tell if I was at 160bpm vs 150bpm.

I read (and it seems to be true) you get fit just as quickly regularly exercising at 140bpm as you do at 180bpm. Plus it feels better so you are more likely to continue and less likely to get injured or damage your heart. It feels odd after being brought up on ‘no pain no gain’ but it really is true.

209 bpm sounds scary to me for anything more than the odd few seconds.

I previously used a chest band monitor with accurate results, but when the integrated watchband broke I decided to migrate to the new optical wrist read technology. I bought a new TomTom that also integrated GPS and mp3 music. It was great for a while, but now I find the heart rate feature is very unreliable, often misreporting actual by 50 bpm or more!

BTW, Wikipedia presents several refined formulas for calculating your target and maximum heart rates.