timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Any runners?

Hybrid View

Craftsman

Any runners?

As per title anybody enjoy running?

I have lost 3 stone since the start of the year (still have another 1.5-2 to lose) and have been doing lots of HIIT and spin classes at the gym.

A friend in work mentioned parkrun to me - I was apprehensive as when I tried running while heavier it was very sore on my knees. However I have lots of friends that enjoy it so thought I would give it a go and I’m loving it

In 3 weeks I’ve gone from never having ran a 5k to having run 5 now with my time coming down from 28 minutes to 23.26 today at Parkrun! That was very hard work today and I know the margins of improvement will slow down massively now but I’m really enjoying it

I’ve booked a place on a 10k on 8th July and if that goes well I might aim to do Birmingham half marathon in October

At the start of this year I would never have thought I could run 5k let alone in 23.26 and be aiming for a 10k

So anybody else run? Any tips and words of wisdom for a newbie?

To out the above in context by the way I’m currently 29, weigh 14st 10lb and am 5ft 8 (hence still some way to go on the weight loss journey)

Running seriously for 40 years. What sort of percentage does your PB parkrun give you at 29 years?

(oh and I started this morning's parkrun with Joanne Sinton-Hewitt.)

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by catch21 View Post
    Running seriously for 40 years. What sort of percentage does your PB parkrun give you at 29 years?

(oh and I started this morning's parkrun with Joanne Sinton-Hewitt.)
    Today’s time which is my PB although I’ve only done 2 Parkruns gives me a percentage of 55.08% which I think means just above average?

I don’t fully understand your last sentence?

Any tips for somebody starting out given your wealth of experience?

I’m under no illusions that I’m going to ever be quick but as mentioned I’m surprised I enjoy it and want to continue to improve if I can
    Last edited by mk2driver; 23rd June 2018 at 22:38.

I actually went for a run today - well tried to go for a run. It was a sort of run, then walk, then run ;)

I used to run 5k three times a week as part of my training routine. I’m hoping to be able to run at least one 5k within the next few weeks - judging by today’s effort it’s not going to be as easy as I expected :(
    It's just a matter of time...

55% you must have started out very cardio vascular fit. Cycling or something?

I’d say, don’t go too hard too quickly or you will simply pick up an injury.

Joanne is the wife of the founder of the parkrun.

Get the very best running shoes you can, and get your gait analysed first.

Keep hydrated, isotonic is best.

Cut the tackle-mesh out of your running shorts.

Wear your socks inside out.
    Last edited by catch21; 24th June 2018 at 08:04.

What does the 55% mean ?
    I used to run loads. I loved it 10k pb is 35min 45 sec
    Always wanted to do 10miles in 1 hour. Got to 63min

Craftsman
    55% you must have started out very cardio vascular fit. Cycling or something?

I’d say, don’t go too hard too quickly or you will simply pick up an injury.

Joanne is the wife of the founder of the parkrun.

Get the very best running shoes you can, and get your gait analysed first.

Keep hydrated, isotonic is best.

Cut the tackle mesh out of your running shorts.

Wear your socks inside out.
    I have been doing loads of spin classes and HIIT classes at the gym but that’s it. It was tough today though, that time was the very best I could have done today, nothing left in the tank for that distance

I’ve already had my gait analysed and I’m in Brooks Vapor 4 shoes as I needed some structured support. Was completed by my local running shop who have some really experienced staff in there

Socks inside out?

Cut the tackle-mesh out of your running shorts.
    What fresh hell is this?

My recommendation is do not under any circumstances remove the banana hammock. Your gentleman's vegetables will swing from one side to the other like an excited chimp.

All I would say is don’t put distance on too quickly be happy with your weight loss and 10k you should be able to do that Ok but I would leave the half (21k) to next year. Also learn to pace yourself if your keen on a good time probably with a running watch this will be especially important for the 10k and half as you don’t want to gas out by running the first part too fast.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by MB2 View Post
    All I would say is don’t put distance on too quickly be happy with your weight loss and 10k you should be able to do that Ok but I would leave the half (21k) to next year. Also learn to pace yourself if your keen on a good time probably with a running watch this will be especially important for the 10k and half as you don’t want to gas out by running the first part too fast.

Thank you for that and sounds very sensible

We have our first baby arriving in December which sort of puts a natural deadline on a structured training plan for a while but I won’t push too hard in terms of doing the half if I’m not ready

Thankfully I do have a friend who is a sub 3 hour marathon runner and think I will train with him soon and will probably join a club as well

I have a Garmin Forerunner 30 that I bought last week and have used in two runs which has helped massively
    Last edited by mk2driver; 24th June 2018 at 03:31.

Journeyman
    Already been said but build up slowly to the half marathon, take the time to improve your stamina and you will enjoy the run more.
    I used to get sore knees so I concentrated on improving leg strength and changed my training to include more hills. Worked for me.
    I like to vary my runs to avoid getting bored or the runs becoming routine, hills, flat, on road or off road. I also book an event each month to keep me motivated, ultimately just remember to enjoy it

It’s amazing how quickly you lose running fitness
    I struggle doing 5k now

Quote Originally Posted by lenlec View Post
    It’s amazing how quickly you lose running fitness
    I struggle doing 5k now
    so true. :-(

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by fierbois16 View Post
    Already been said but build up slowly to the half marathon, take the time to improve your stamina and you will enjoy the run more.
    I used to get sore knees so I concentrated on improving leg strength and changed my training to include more hills. Worked for me.
    I like to vary my runs to avoid getting bored or the runs becoming routine, hills, flat, on road or off road. I also book an event each month to keep me motivated, ultimately just remember to enjoy it
    Thanks for the advice - I agree on the variety of styles and routes and will try and go the same thing

Booking an event regularly also seems like a good idea as it’s akways giving you something to aim for

I’m under io illusions that if I do decide to do a half marathon that it’s going to require a lot of work over a long time. I will see how the 10k goes first as obviously the half marathon is over twice that distance!

Master
    I'm just back from a 5k, 22C so pretty hot!

I run 4-6k every day, and do any local charity runs too. Used to do parkrun but the time doesn't suit as much as it did pre-baba

Get yourself properly analysed for gait and buy the correct trainers is the best advice I can give. My mate runs marathons and tells me that a 5k and a half marathon are very different animals with very different training regimes.

Although I poo-pooed then for a while, I now swear by running tights. Short/Capri style for summer and full length for winter.

Did 16km this morning with 3 mates. The big event for us this year is Man v Mountain in September so I get a couple of short runs 5m/8km in during the week with some interval sessions, then a longer group run at weekends.

20 years of running now with lots of 10kms, half marathons, triathlons and off-road/obstacle runs along the way. Still love it. Nothing beats an early morning winter run while it’s still quiet.

Best tip I can give (and many have alluded to it) is the power of marginal gains. Work up slowly to longer distances and faster times. Don’t be tempted to go ‘zero to hero’ too quickly. A friend does this and is regularly injured and unwell.

Joining a club does return real benefits giving you people to train with and structured sessions - distance work, speed work, intervals, hill sessions etc.

Above all - enjoy it!

Craftsman
    been running 6 years odd now - 3rd marathon done this year and 4th planned for november. i started with 5km a couple of times a week, now run 3 to 4 times a week - got the wife on it too so now its a struggle to fit our runs into schedules !

Quote Originally Posted by Shakespeare View Post
    Work up slowly to longer distances and faster times. Don’t be tempted to go ‘zero to hero’ too quickly. A friend does this and is regularly injured and unwell.
    For me this is the most important tip. IMHO the hardest part of a half marathon is getting to the start line in good shape and not injured. Lots of little muscles, tendons, ligaments etc. need more time to adapt than the big ones, which will happen if you build up slowly.

23m for 5k is a fantastic time to start out with.

Running is so addictive. It’s great.
    I remember doing every run available when I was younger. In your 20s and early 30s for me it was brilliant
    10k after 10k no trouble.
    Best advice I can have for a new runner is take it steady
    My friend joined us years ago to do the London marathon
    No previous running.
    For a few weeks he was flying. Then niggles set in and he had to pull out

Congratulations- good job and a very respectable time well done !

Yes, congratulations! Well done. Twelve weeks of solid training for your Half Marathon will get you fit to tackle that new challenge. Good luck!

If you run the same course then find some km markers then try to hit 5m for each marker. I know it sounds obvious but it is probably pace that is your “problem” rather than ability to actually do the required speed.

Master
    FK77 as I posted above, as you are in London join the free weekly 5km Parkruns. There is going to be one close to you. In Harrow there are 7/8 within 5 miles - all slightly different, indeed South Oxhey is all off road and hilly, so a minute slower than (say) Northala. Running in groups with others will certainly speed you up,even if that becomes your only fast session each week.

Grand Master
    Running a half-marathon is far more demanding than running 10k! To do it comfortably requires a fair amount of mileage/distance and it takes time to build up to doing this.

The OP’s made good progress and will continue to do so, but there’s a danger of trying to do too much too soon and getting injuries. I would concentrate on getting down to an ideal running weight before starting to increase mileage, to run a half- marathon in comfort requires 40-50 miles/week and it takes time to build up to that level. The body has to adapt to distance running and it doesn’t happen overnight, steady consistent progress is the key.

Another point to consider: the faster you run the easier the half- marathon becomes. Think about it, running for 90 minutes is far easier than running for 2 hrs and to me that’s a big incentive to get into good shape beore attempting it. Aim to be running 10 miles comfortably and consistently, once you reach that point you need a few more weeks training and you’re there. If you’re busting a gut to struggle round 10 miles you’re definitely not ready.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Running a half-marathon is far more demanding than running 10k! To do it comfortably requires a fair amount of mileage/distance and it takes time to build up to doing this.

The OP’s made good progress and will continue to do so, but there’s a danger of trying to do too much too soon and getting injuries. I would concentrate on getting down to an ideal running weight before starting to increase mileage, to run a half- marathon in comfort requires 40-50 miles/week and it takes time to build up to that level. The body has to adapt to distance running and it doesn’t happen overnight, steady consistent progress is the key.

Another point to consider: the faster you run the easier the half- marathon becomes. Think about it, running for 90 minutes is far easier than running for 2 hrs and to me that’s a big incentive to get into good shape beore attempting it. Aim to be running 10 miles comfortably and consistently, once you reach that point you need a few more weeks training and you’re there. If you’re busting a gut to struggle round 10 miles you’re definitely not ready.

Paul
    I would disagree that running a half requires 40-50 mpw. I didn't go above this for any of my marathons and did many halves on 20mpw

OP, my advice would be to focus on a training plan. There are plenty online that are free of charge (eg runners world) but broadly you need to vary your running. Think:

1 slow easy run (Monday) 4 miles (145bpm)

1 interval session ideally at a running track doing something like 5x800m with one minute break at goal 5k pace

1 longer run (eg 10k at a mid pace at 160bpm

One thing to bear in mind is that running is not rocket science, broadly you are training your body to get faster for the same output.

More miles, less weight, better technique and more speed sessions will achieve this

Sent from my SM-G950F using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by oliverte View Post
    I would disagree that running a half requires 40-50 mpw. I didn't go above this for any of my marathons and did many halves on 20mpw

OP, my advice would be to focus on a training plan. There are plenty online that are free of charge (eg runners world) but broadly you need to vary your running. Think:

1 slow easy run (Monday) 4 miles (145bpm)

1 interval session ideally at a running track doing something like 5x800m with one minute break at goal 5k pace

1 longer run (eg 10k at a mid pace at 160bpm

One thing to bear in mind is that running is not rocket science, broadly you are training your body to get faster for the same output.

More miles, less weight, better technique and more speed sessions will achieve this

Sent from my SM-G950F using TZ-UK mobile app

I am using a plan similar to yours based on the link below

https://www.hornetjuice.com/half-mar...ining-program/

Mate and I are going to train and run together - currently we have similar 5 and 10k pace so will see if we end up at the same pace but no reason why not

Yes I’m still heavier than I should be but running is helping and so far I’ve hit it exceeded every target. I’m determined and have played rugby competitively for years which I think has helped as when times get tough during runs I have the mentality to keep going

Currently loving it and based on training plans and talking to running friends I see no reason that with 12 weeks dedication I can’t run the half marathon

I’ve also already ran 13k comfortably last week but could have extended to 10 miles as I was comfortable at the end but didn’t want to push too far before the race
    Last edited by mk2driver; 9th July 2018 at 20:26.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post

Paul
    No need to be running 40-50 miles a week to train for a half. That's more like Marathon training for your average club runner. Different for serious runners/elites but no need to go that far for a fist half.
    Last edited by GMC41; 10th July 2018 at 08:15.

Master
    Used the Nike+ Run Club app for today's run. It doesn't give anything more than Runkeeper. I like being able to edit the map on the website when the watch GPS gets it wrong and Runkeeper just seems generally more flexible and user-friendly. Think I will stick to it and make better use of the info but good to try something different nonetheless.

Lots of people lining the north and south banks and the two bridges I use to cross the river to watch the RAF flypast today. Very slow run due to the crowds but never mind.

PS: No need to worry btw ... I don't intend to update this thread after every run Just wanted to express my views on Nike+ app.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GMC41 View Post
    No need to be running 40-50 miles a week to train for a half. That's more like Marathon training for your average club runner. Different for serious runners/elites but no need to go that far for a fist half.
    40 miles/week isn`t a lot when you break it down. Anyone who wants to run a half-marathon in reasonable comfort should be able to run 10 miles once or twice/week. That leaves 6 days to run 30 miles. Based on running 5 days/week and two rest days (sensible for a relative novice) that works out to a couple of 8 milers and a couple of 6 milers run at significantly faster pace. Make one of the 8s a 10 and you've got 40 miles/week.

I see no point in struggling to run a half marathon simply for the sake of saying you've done it. That's why I advise building up steadily, and I use the 40-50 miles/week as a yardstick. If you can do that amount of running without feeling chronically tired you're ready, if not you've some way to go. Part of the process is getting your body to adapt to training; it helps if you don`t have a physical job but your body has to adapt and it doesn`t come overnight. Diet and sleep also play a big part in it, although I always found I slept better when training hard. On the topic of diet, I think it's worth taking a sensible amount of vitamin and iron supplements, nothing silly but sufficient to safeguard against deficiency. I`d also take 200mg of Vitamin C daily, and be sure to drink plenty of fluids. All part of getting the body adapted to the rigours of running, it's like building a pyramid from a broad base to keep it stable.

My background was short middle-distance many years ago. At the age of 24 I trained up for a half-marathon over a 3 month period; coming from a background of around 20-30 miles/week and an ideal running weight I upped the mileage to 50-60/week with plenty of quality . Target time for me was 75 mins, I managed 78mins and struggled.

I wouldn't underestimate the half-marathon, it's a long way to run! Ideally I would advocate doing a couple of slow over-distance runs of 15 miles prior to the event, if you're not able to do that you're not ready. In hindsight that's what I did wrong, I was good for 10 miles and not much more.....and believe me another 3 miles is a LOT more!

Thesedays everyone's into fitbits and apps etc and measuring/plotting everything. That's fine as an aid, but the way you're actually feeling is just as important. A regular health check is worthwhile, particularly to check for anaemia which can occur when training hard. The absorption of iron is quite complex; coupled with the fact that your body needs more iron when training hard it's possible to end up anaemic even when eating a reasonable diet.

Everyone's different, but I wouldn't tackle 13 miles unless I was in the right shape to do it. I think it's a mistake to rush preparation in a fit of over-enthusiasm. It's like building a pyramid, get the base broad and stable....and that takes time.

Paul
    Last edited by walkerwek1958; 10th July 2018 at 22:49.

My wife to be is a runner. I’m looking to join in on the fun once I drop a little more weight. So far I’ve dropped 54 lbs almost four stones and at 6’ 2” and 282 lbs I’ve got a way to go before I’m ready to hit the park runs and open roads, my treadmill is just fine for now.

I don’t know how accurate the Apple Watch is regarding bpm. Obviously you can check yourself by counting your wrist or neck pulse. This being a watch forum there will be plenty of options for timing the count. Perhaps buying one of those cool vintage ‘Pulsations’ chronos is in order ;).

Someone recommended the Cardio app to me, which works by you putting your finger on the iPhone lens and light. I have found that highly accurate, if you want to calibrate your Apple watch.

I would say though you will get just as fit, just as quickly, running at 70% as you will at 90%, even if it feels like you are not trying. You might only have to back off by 15-30s a km to make quite a difference in the bpm.

Out of interest do you know your resting pulse?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by alfat33 View Post
    Perhaps buying one of those cool vintage ‘Pulsations’ chronos is in order ;).
    I am on the list for the new CK2998 with Pulsometer

Out of interest do you know your resting pulse?
    Resting HR is typically around 65, again quoting Apple Watch.

Quote Originally Posted by FK77 View Post
    I am on the list for the new CK2998 with Pulsometer

Resting HR is typically around 65, again quoting Apple Watch.
    Lucky you!

65 is OK. Mine was about that when I started running again regularly (been on and off for 40 years now). Now it’s more like 48-50 if I haven’t just drunk coffee, which just shows you don’t have to be running marathons every week to make quite a difference.

Re: Apple Watch, maybe rather than using it for HR try using the Nike run app to get an idea on pace. I’m an amateur runner but found pacing was always a problem for me until I got the Apple Watch. Now I know what’s a steady pace, fast pace, slow pace etc based on my ability and running technique.

I’ve also learnt what pace I can sustain for what period, ie ten k pace at X is sustainable but if I’m running a five k I can manage pace Y, 20k means Z etc

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tiny73 View Post
    Re: Apple Watch, maybe rather than using it for HR try using the Nike run app to get an idea on pace.
    I already have the Nike+ Run Club app as the watch is Nike+ Edition. Never used it though because I had been using the Run Keeper app on the phone prior to getting the watch and decided to stick with it on the watch too for continuity and keep adding to the history I had built. I shall give NRC a go too and see what useful metrics it can provide.

Currently enjoying Darude "Sandstorm", and most anything from the Prodigy.

Very inspiring thread, I’m 44 and 20 years ago I classed myself as fit and loving the gym and runs but now I’m slightly concerned about my health..

Touch wood nothing has given me cause for concern other than a higher than average rested heart rate, perhaps some small gentle runs will help in bringing this down.

Another aspect is a friend who I class as fit, he regularly runs and cycles, has a ridiculously low rested heart rate but has just been told by the doctor to keep his cholesterol in check as it’s a little high! This has made me think I need a once over MOT and should be starting back up some cardio..
    I’ll be keeping tabs on this thread..

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post
    Another aspect is a friend who I class as fit, he regularly runs and cycles, has a ridiculously low rested heart rate but has just been told by the doctor to keep his cholesterol in check as it’s a little high!
    Weird, isn’t it? About 6 years ago, I was eating far more junk than now, was embarrassingly lazy doing zero exercise (no gym, no running, ever), weighed a lot more and had a ridiculously large waist. Despite all that my cholesterol level was excellent. Within a year of changing my lifestyle, everything improved but cholesterol raised slightly. Not high enough to require any treatment and am told should go down with carrying on exercising and eating right. The only explanation I have is that perhaps age has more of an effect on it than exercise/diet?

Just completed my first NHS couch to 5k session. I thought I’d be fine as I’m fairly slim and didn’t consider myself too unfit... i was wrong! Felt pretty good after and looking forward to repeating it.

It’s structured through listening to a podcast telling you when to walk / run. Covered around three miles in first session which surprised me.

Seems a good way to get started.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by T1ckT0ck View Post
    Just completed my first NHS couch to 5k session. I thought I’d be fine as I’m fairly slim and didn’t consider myself too unfit... i was wrong! Felt pretty good after and looking forward to repeating it.

It’s structured through listening to a podcast telling you when to walk / run. Covered around three miles in first session which surprised me.

I did a couch to 5k last year and it was really good, did exactly what it said. Mind you, I then lapsed hugely, which is why I signed up for a 10 mile run in September this year and I'm in the process of training for that which is keeping me running. Happily, I did retain some of the fitness boost from the couch to 5k!
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

Quote Originally Posted by T1ckT0ck View Post

Well done.

Stick to it and it will get you there, don't skip any of the sessions, even when you feel you are capable and want to get ahead - it will probably come back and bite you later.

It works in a very clever way and pushes you just far enough each session, whilst building strength, fitness and stamina through the various sessions. Resting for recovery between sessions too is very important.

I stuck to the 3 times per week when I did it a few years ago and as the fitness improves, so does your hunger to get out for another run as the endorphins beat away the lethargy.

Keep us posted with how you are getting on.

I found that at first I had to keep checking my heart rate (I had a Polar heart monitor band at the time) but after 6 months or so I gradually got used to what it felt like at different levels. I could tell if I was at 160bpm vs 150bpm.

I read (and it seems to be true) you get fit just as quickly regularly exercising at 140bpm as you do at 180bpm. Plus it feels better so you are more likely to continue and less likely to get injured or damage your heart. It feels odd after being brought up on ‘no pain no gain’ but it really is true.

209 bpm sounds scary to me for anything more than the odd few seconds.

I previously used a chest band monitor with accurate results, but when the integrated watchband broke I decided to migrate to the new optical wrist read technology. I bought a new TomTom that also integrated GPS and mp3 music. It was great for a while, but now I find the heart rate feature is very unreliable, often misreporting actual by 50 bpm or more!

BTW, Wikipedia presents several refined formulas for calculating your target and maximum heart rates.

Blog Entries
    ^^^^^^

Thanks everyone…. Interesting feedback…. I’ve been so focused on getting back to my pre injury 25min 5km I hadn’t really thought about heart rate a great deal…. I have a polar heart monitor in a drawer and will dig it out…

As I said I feel comfortable at an ave. of 152, but, don’t want to strain myself!

Ben

Master
    Blog Entries
    I've done a few 10k's but only after swimming 1500m & cycling 40k as part of a triathlon. My best time for the 10k was 38 something. My bike was by far my best discipline though. Normally 57 or 58 minutes for 40k. However I've done quite a few 48's (pb 48:14) for 40k when it's bike only.
    However Mrs T-7 was a pretty good runner back in the day. She's done 1:15 for a half marathon and 2:08 for 800m. She also won her age group at the Triathlon World Champs in 2004. Nowadays we don't even run across the road although we've not totally lost our abilities on the bike

Master
    I read (and it seems to be true) you get fit just as quickly regularly exercising at 140bpm as you do at 180bpm. Plus it feels better so you are more likely to continue and less likely to get injured or damage your heart. It feels odd after being brought up on ‘no pain no gain’ but it really is true.
    I like that. Not working hard enough to achieve the same (or better) results suits my lazy nature :) So far the pain and exhaustion hasn't put me off and I have managed to get out to run/gym in all sorts of weather and even when suffering from colds (respecting the "neck rule" of course). Taking it slightly easy to eventually get better is a different perspective for me and I will certainly give it a go.

Quote Originally Posted by pacifichrono View Post
    BTW, Wikipedia presents several refined formulas for calculating your target and maximum heart rates.
    Thanks for the pointer ... according to some of those formulas also, my max still coming out as 180 or 185 and target range 117-155. Way below the potentially dangerous levels I seem to be hitting.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
    I’m not an expert but your average and max seem a bit high? Maybe have ave. heart rate on your watch to bring down the pace a little

From feedback offered befor, if you manage this you start to go faster eventually
    Yes, I intend to focus on HR and stop fretting about time starting tomorrow. Let's see how it goes.

I use a Garmin 935 which has a heart monitor built in but also a chest strap.

When I was training to heart rate, I just went out for a 30 min run and concentrated on keeping heart rate at not exceeding a certain amount, I wasn’t concerned about speed or distance. If it went over, just slowed down, walked if necessary. Over the weeks, the distance gradually increased, but was at the same energy level. This wasn’t the only training I was doing, but was part of a 6 month plan geared towards an IronMan triathlon, so was more geared to endurance and distance rather than speed. I found it worked well for me and is another way of training. Keeps the mind off pure speed and distance.

Malc

Blog Entries
    Just had my lunch time run and really slowed things down and managing my body to not exert it too much…. There are some steep hills on my route and I barely shuffled up them!

Time went up nerarly 3 mins

BPM ave. Increased by 3 BPM

Go figure!!!

I've relied on an average of four reputable models for estimating my maximum heart rate. At 70.8 years of age now, they return the following HRm:

- Tanaka.................158 bpm
    - Oakland U............159 bpm
    - O.U. - non-linear...156 bpm
    - Robergs et al........157 bpm
    - .........AVERAGE...158 bpm

Quote Originally Posted by pacifichrono View Post
    I've relied on an average of four reputable models for estimating my maximum heart rate. At 70.8 years of age now, they return the following HRm:

- Tanaka.................158 bpm
    - Oakland U............159 bpm
    - O.U. - non-linear...156 bpm
    - Robergs et al........157 bpm
    - .........AVERAGE...158 bpm
    That’s helpful. It suggests that running at 95-111 bpm will help improve your general endurance, according to this calculator.
    https://www.polar.com/blog/running-h...-zones-basics/