closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Data only SIM cards.

Data only SIM cards.

How difficult is it to buy a SIM card now or am I being dumb?

I've been trying without success to connect my Audi to the internet via the MMI so that I can use all the applicable apps etc. It appears to be simply a case of connection your phone to the car via Bluetooth, creating a myaudi account and following the info on the MMi. Trouble is the iPhoneX doesn't allow remote sim access and so no connection can be made.
    The car has a SIM card slot with a connection via the cars system that will do the same thing however I appear to be struggling to find a Data only, no contract sim that doesn't expire after 30 days.
    Question is, does a Data only no contract sim exist that doesn't expire, because I can't seem to find one and does anybody else connect their Audi in this way to the internet. I may well be missing something obvious why I can't connect but I'm buggered if I can work it out.

There's these: - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Three-Mobil.../dp/B01CMD4VKC

They do expire but last 12 months. 24 month versions also available which work out cheaper.

Craftsman
    Yes, I use those in my mifi router. Just bought a 24Gb/2 year one for £45. Cheaper to buy a new one when they run out rather than top up.
    Last edited by Motman; 23rd June 2018 at 18:10.

Or ask your phone provider for a second Sim share your data

I've just ordered an O2 PAYG SIM (free) on their Classic 3/2/1 tarriff. 3p/min, 2p/text, 1p/MB. I plan on just using it for data - I didn't see anything on the website that said I had to put it in a phone and use it for voice. At £10/GB, it's a fairly expensive way of buying data, so I doubt they'll quibble anyway as it must be a nice little earner. If it turns out it's an issue I'll just throw the SIM in the bin - worst case is I'll lose a tenner. Hardly the end of the world.

Cheers,

Plug

Thanks guys, I'll take a look.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyMilts View Post
    Or ask your phone provider for a second Sim share your data
    Can you do that....didn't realise?

Quote Originally Posted by Franky Four Fingers View Post
    Can you do that....didn't realise?
    I am on EE and two sims that share the same data allowance, 2nd one sits in the car to what you said. I explained the problem as you described and was offered this

Quote Originally Posted by AndyMilts View Post
    I am on EE and two sims that share the same data allowance, 2nd one sits in the car to what you said. I explained the problem as you described and was offered this
    Many thanks, I'll try Virgin in the morning👍

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    There's these: - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Three-Mobil.../dp/B01CMD4VKC

They do expire but last 12 months. 24 month versions also available which work out cheaper.
    I’ve bought these several times to do exactly what you want, connect my Audi MMI.
    They work fine.