closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: 1975 Rolex Air King 5500 value

Apprentice

1975 Rolex Air King 5500 value

Hi
    Hoping for a bit of assistance in valuing this that i have recently inherited, took it two a couple of shops and they said it needed refurbishing and was worth about £1,500, one of the shops said the dial was unusual so I then started to have a look online and have been struggling to find anything with a dial the same, can anyone help?
    It needs a real good clean and a new glass but seems in otherwise good condition.
    The watch is only 34mm and much to small for me so i think i will add a few quid and sell or p/x and get a bigger cased Rolex but dont want to let it go too cheap, if it is anything unusual or collectable.
    Previous owner was a family member who brought it new and as far as i am aware it has been serviced but never altered, its been in a winder for ages and keeps perfect time.

S/N is 4039249 which indicates its 1975

https://www.flickr.com/photos/158011.../shares/04rRW7

Hi floopsy,

I'll be the first to say that with this being your first post on here coupled with a very recent join date, you'll struggle to get anything like an answer to your questions.
    The normal entry to TZ-UK may consist of a quick short paragraph about yourself by way of introduction rather than steamrollering right in there with a "How much is this worth" line of questioning.
    I do hope you see my point....

Can't help with value but… oooh that's a lovely 70s example, worth a service and modest cleanup. Mos def keep it as original as possible, even polish the crystal not replace, if not damaged. (Can't see, I'm on mobile.)

I'd keep it if it were in my reverent hands.

Subscribing to enjoy the others' feedback. Others can tell you if it's special or common as dirt. Value, that's another dicey affair, most forum peeps won't chance a guess without detailed, in person examination.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by reggie747 View Post
    Hi floopsy,

I'll be the first to say that with this being your first post on here coupled with a very recent join date, you'll struggle to get anything like an answer to your questions.
    The normal entry to TZ-UK may consist of a quick short paragraph about yourself by way of introduction rather than steamrollering right in there with a "How much is this worth" line of questioning.
    I do hope you see my point....
    Hi Reggie
    thanks for the reply, yes i agree in hindsight my first post is a bit blunt and to the point, but thats a bit like me in real life tbh.
    Im sure i have been lurking this and other forums for years, but never really had a lot to say or contribute untill i inherited this, sorry bout that.
    I have a nice Brietling i will never sell and constantly keep trying to convience myself a daytona would be a good investment, but always keep putting it off and buying another car....maybe this could be the turning point!

Welcome Floopsy, reggie747 or Greg as he is known to me does have a point. I think members of a forum speculating over values is little more than guess work unless it is a watch that has sold frequently in recent times and there are market prices to compare to.

I would suggest Chrono24 and e-bay are good places to start, especially the completed sales on the latter to see if prices asked were actually achieved.

Other than that, Google the watch you have and see if you can find any dealers who have your watch listed, then knock a big chunk off their asking price.

You could always do what what a lot of people here do, ping in a sales request to Watchfinder and see what they offer.

Alternately wear the watch and enjoy it and contribute to this great forum.

Ps- I'm guessing a couple of grand tops once serviced and tidied up.
    Last edited by Wallasey Runner; 22nd June 2018 at 22:31.

Master
    I think the shops gave you reasonable feedback.

A tidy one of these will now retail in a shop for over £2,000 but your bracelet is showing some age and the watch would need some work before being saleable.

If it's too small for you, don't waste money trying to make it great again; you would be no better off for doing so.

H

A few of these sold at auction at Fellows recently, all for around £1,200-£1,300 - amounting to about £1,500 including buyer’s premium.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    Welcome Floopsy, reggie747 or Greg as he is known to me does have a point. I think members of a forum speculating over values is little more than guess work unless it is a watch that has sold frequently in recent times and there are market prices to compare to.

I would suggest Chrono24 and e-bay are good places to start, especially the completed sales on the latter to see if prices asked were actually achieved.

Other than that, Google the watch you have and see if you can find any dealers who have your watch listed, then knock a big chunk off their asking price.

You could always do what what a lot of people here do, ping in a sales request to Watchfinder and see what they offer.

Alternately wear the watch and enjoy it and contribute to this great forum.

Ps- I'm guessing a couple of grand tops once serviced and tidied up.
    Thanks for taking the time to reply, appreciate it. I have done the googleing and not come up with anything really with this dial, the closest they call the explorer dial but its quite different. Thats why i have come and asked for opinions to see if anyone could help.
    Have also mailed a few shops earlier to see what they come back with, thanks for your help.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by hansblix2001 View Post
    A few of these sold at auction at Fellows recently, all for around £1,200-£1,300 - amounting to about £1,500 including buyer’s premium.
    thanks for the reply, do you know if they were with this type of dial (as i said no idea if its rare just cant seem to google any) or just the normal ones?

Quote Originally Posted by floopsy View Post
    Thanks for taking the time to reply, appreciate it. I have done the googleing and not come up with anything really with this dial, the closest they call the explorer dial but its quite different. Thats why i have come and asked for opinions to see if anyone could help.
    Have also mailed a few shops earlier to see what they come back with, thanks for your help.
    The response to note is #6. Haywood has a chain of stores in the North West and is a forum expert on all things Rolex.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Haywood_Milton View Post
    I think the shops gave you reasonable feedback.

A tidy one of these will now retail in a shop for over £2,000 but your bracelet is showing some age and the watch would need some work before being saleable.

If it's too small for you, don't waste money trying to make it great again; you would be no better off for doing so.

H
    Thanks for reply H, really wish it would have been ok but i am a resonably big bloke, 6'2 and 18st and it just looks silly in my opinion on my wrist, am thinking either a daytona or 41mm datejust would do me fine, or maybe a new deepsea if i could find one for sale.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    The response to note is #6. Haywood has a chain of stores in the North West and is a forum expert on all things Rolex.
    thanks, will give them a look

Why not look for a watch that you want, most dealers will consider trades, especially if you are paying a decent amount of cash on top of your watch. I recently traded a Datejust 41 and in all honesty it was not much bigger on the wrist than the standard sports Rolex 40mm models and my wrist is 7.25mm.

This saves you wasting cash sorting it out and it takes a chunk off what you have to pay for the next Watch.

The Deepsea is weird, a few years back all the dealers seemed over stocked with them, but you don't see many for sale these days. There seems to be more Cameron Deep Blue around second hand, but obviously more expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by floopsy View Post
    Hi Reggie
    thanks for the reply, yes i agree in hindsight my first post is a bit blunt and to the point, but thats a bit like me in real life tbh.
    Im sure i have been lurking this and other forums for years, but never really had a lot to say or contribute untill i inherited this, sorry bout that.
    I have a nice Brietling i will never sell and constantly keep trying to convience myself a daytona would be a good investment, but always keep putting it off and buying another car....maybe this could be the turning point!
    Hi floopsy, welcome!

As others have pointed out, you have received a highly informed, essentially definitive answer at #6.

Now that you’ve registered and got the hang of posting, it would be good to read a thread introducing yourself; maybe you could tell us a bit about the Breitling and where your tastes are heading....

Journeyman
    Welcome to the forum. Agree probably not worth investing in due to condition but p/ex for a 16610 or other 40mm...

Quote Originally Posted by reggie747 View Post
    Hi floopsy,

coupled with a very recent join date ....
    Joined June 2017?

I have a mid-fifties Air King and an early-fifties Oysterdate, both the same size as you. By some coincidence, I am 6'2 and although 16.5 stone at the moment, I was 18 a short while back.

My point is that I wear both of mine regularly. Granted, I wouldn't wear either with a t-shirt, or short-sleeved shirt, but under a shirt-sleeve at work, the size works really well, and if you're into gathering feedback, both of my dress Rolex's gather more positive comments than either my non-date sub, or my GMT-Master - they're just a little unusual.

I do, like many, have an opinion and it's only my opinion and not one shared by everyone, but my view is that the monetary value is, in life-changing terms - negligible. The personal value placed upon an item inherited from a loved-one is massive.

If the person who left it to you meant a lot, and if the watch reminds you of that person every time you see it, fork out a little to clean it up and get it running, then enjoy wearing it. As long as you don't wear it with the wrong clothes, it won't look daft, I promise you. Even if it does, so what? You're wearing it for you, and for what the person who left it to you mean to you.

That, as I said, is just my own opinion. I have been wrong on a great many things.

Well said Dick, sentimental value easily outweighs any price tag placed on an item. When my Dad died my elder brother (first son and heir and all that...) got his watch and I got his wedding ring. I had it resized and never take it off. It's basically a relatively thin band of gold and in financial terms worth very little, but it was my Dad's wedding ring, so to me priceless.