closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: school project - proud dad here!

Blog Entries

school project - proud dad here!

Over the years, I've told about my youngest and his Asperger, combined with a healthy(...) dose of ADD. We had our fair share of trials and tribulations over the years. Some other members here have the same experience - and often a lot more severe than we had. After a bumpy school period when he was 8, things got better when he changed schools. We found out that his maths skills are off the chart, but that his verbal intelligence is not as high as his performal (maths) skills. He's not a genius.

Two years ago, we sent him to secondary education (here from year 9). But then something happened: he -as my wife puts it- re-invented himself. He found a few friends. His grades were good, he was more or less happy at school. Fast forward two years: last month up until today. A school project.

Remember the thread I started about Once Upon A Time in the West? That was part of the project. It becomes a little cryptic here: because I don't want to post a link to the result of the project, nor do I want to upload this movie; there are kids in the movie, acting like it's the new Bond movie trailer. And |i am no fan of posting images of people on the internet. The trailer is nearly 6 mins long, nearly a short movie... Beautifully shot with various camera angles, shots and music that fits the scene. 4 boys and 2 girls are totally transformed into actors, with the ladies as the Bond Sisters.

My wife and I were grabbed by the editing skills of my son. It took him nearly 10 hrs to edit it all. I am so proud of the fact that he'd figured it all out himself (he could have asked his mom) and I am more than happy that he was able to fit into the group; as actor, semi-director (they all had ideas) and as editor. The fun of the whole project blasted off the screen when we watched it earlier tonight.

All kids with Asperger are different, you can't compare Asperger with Asperger, so to speak. But it shows that there's more than a diagnosis and a prediction of how things will develop with for boy with Asperger.

Bravo to your son for finding his passion and discovering what he is capable of achieving. I’m sure this will be a long and very fruitful journey for him and you all as a family.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Blog Entries
    At first, years ago, I thought that the well-known 'puzzle-logo' use for autism was spot on. Later, I started to question the logo. We've searched high and low for that piece. Until we realised that we It's more or less a different puzzle. there's no such thing as a 'missing piece'. We, parents, don't recognise because we're used to the standard shape of the puzzle. Nowadays, I am convinced that my son is more and more capable of weaving his own pattern of life. Secondary education here is until he's 18 y/o. We're only at the end of the second year. Four more years to go. After seeing the result of the school project, I'm very optimistic about the future.

M

What a lovely positive story to counterbalance the mess elsewhere on the forum.

Massive pat on the back for your son, and one each for his parents for guiding him on his voyage of discovery

Shame we can't see the finished product but totally understandable.

Master
    Sounds like he's found something he excels in :)

Master
    My eldest daughter was born with Down’s syndrome. Came as a total shock and we ignorantly assumed her life would be terrible. How wrong we were. She’s now a happy fun loving teenager with a great sense of humour and probably the nicest person I’ve ever met.
    People who aren’t ‘normal’ can achieve amazing things.
    Well done to your son. You must be very proud of him.