closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Damasko DA37 1 year on

Craftsman

Damasko DA37 1 year on - NOW 6 YEARS ON!

I have noticed a few ’36 reviews on the Forums lately but to date I have yet to see one comprehensive ’37 review.
    So to redress the balance and celebrate 1 years ownership I present the DA37 in all its glory:-

I have to admit that historically I was a dive watch fan. Until about 4 years ago I didn't even know Pilots
    watches existed. My first propper watch was a Tag 2000 classic diver, which served me well through University and
    for a couple of years after. But a few years into a Civil Engineering Career I started looking for somthing new.
    Not wanting to spend an arm and a leg I found myself looking on the internet, particularly The Time Factors site.
    I was quite taken by Ewen's review of the Zeno 300 Diver and low and behold, a few weeks later the postie delivered
    one to me at work.

This was to be the start of my decent into WIS! It wasn't long before I found the TZ-UK forum,
    where all these nice folks were talking about a new Limited Pilots watch (PRS 1). A hommage to a 1950's RAF Pilots
    watch. At this point I was hooked, reading all I could about these watches and their history. A PRS 7 ivory dial
    quickly followed and then a year later a PRS 12 and a PRS 1 arrived on my doorstep.

Great watches though they were I had a hankering for somthing a bit more modern and that is where the Damaskos arrived.
    The DA series seemed to offer all the specefications I was looking for, but before I could make my mind up the
    first batch were sold out and production dried up, you could not get a Damasko for love nor money. I settled for
    second best and bought a Sinn 656, whilst I set about finding a second-hand DA36.

A year later, funds raised and a NIB DA37 in the offing, Adam is a happy boy, and proud owner of DA37/0006. But at
    the expense of the PRS 1, 7 and 12.

So that's how I got here, but one year on, what about the watch? I'm sure you all know the specs and technical
    innovation in this watch, if not, then go the Eddies or the Damasko site, Its all there. If I were asked to summon
    up two words to describe to describe the '37, they would have to be "Stealthy" and "Reliable". Stealthy as its not
    likely to be recognised EVER period, and Reliable as its a standard ETA 2836-2 movement, easilly servicable,
    antimagnetic, shock proof, scratch resistant etc.

The main attraction to me was the Ice Hardened case and one year on the only mark on the case is a 'rub' on the side of the bezel at the 12 point. If I didn't point it out to you I guarntee you would not spot it. This was caused by banging the case hard on a yacht mast stanchion steel base. I particularly remember the noise it made and was expecting to see a deep dink/scratch.

The face and lume shine on and on through the night. From a quick wafting under a lamp at bedtime, I can pick my way across the bedroom floor at 4 in the morning using the reflections from the lume! Accuracy is very good, loosing about 1 second a day on the wrist and gaining 2 seconds a day face up on the bench.

The only complaint I have relates to the AR on the crystal. It has quite a few scratches on the outside now, sometimes these are easily visible in reflected light. If I could change any part of the watch it would be the size. For my wrist the 656 was a perfect 38mm, at 40mm the '37 is just a tad big, a small point but perhaps one that would bug in the long term.

To summerise and look to the future; I somtimes get the IWC Mk xv itch, size wise I think this would be perfect,
    but when you compare the specs side by side, I cant see where the additional £1200 for the IWC goes. Suprisingly,
    although I am still chuffed to bits with the '37, I have managed to get back the PRS 1 I sold to fund the '37 and
    would buy back the PRS 12 given the oppertunity. I have also bought a Sinn 756, which now gets as much wrist time
    as the '37 although I think its days are numbered due to its size on my wrist.
    The '37 is a keeper, at least this year! but I do sometimes get a hankering for a '36. On the occasion that my
    desires wander, I keep coming back to the same thought "there is nothing out there which will better the '37"

Last edited by Lostgear; 30th November 2013 at 20:06. Reason: 6 Year Review

Craftsman
    Blog Entries

Re: Damasko DA37 1 year on

Nice review, each time I see a DA36 or 37 I want one but their lack of availability frustrates the hell out of me. Glad to see you got the PRS-1 back, I've offered my PRS-1 in trade a couple of times recently and each time I do it I know I'd regret loosing it. Hopefully I join the Damasko club eventually.

Good write-up, thanks for sharing that!
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

Quote Originally Posted by Lostgear

The only complaint I have relates to the AR on the crystal. It has quite a few scratches on the outside now, sometimes these are easily visible in reflected light.

Great read and thanks for putting it together. Nice pics too.

I am surprised to hear about the AR issue. My DC66 is over three years old, has been through two owners and even though I am not particularly abusive to my watch, it’s not wrapped in cotton wool either ... but I cannot see any blemish on the AR under any magnification or angle to the light.

I can understand perhaps one or even two impacts but he way you say it, it looks as if the AR is showing a number of impacts ... if I remember correctly, there was a batch of defective DA36 crystals and perhaps you have one of those. I suggest you look into that with Damasko.

The AR-film on the Damaskos is ‘actually’ harder than the metal of the cases. Damasko use a specially hardened coating at 800 HV, which makes the coating (not the crystal) harder than the case at 710 HV.

The DA37 is the best ‘pilots’ bar none. And until Eddie decides to do a homage also the best modern interpretation of the ...

6B/159
    http://homepage.mac.com/marvin.smith/6BWebPage/TOC.html

http://6b159draft.blogspot.com/2006/03/jlc-6b-159.html

john
    THIN is the new BLACK

Shropshire, UK, by the grace of God. dougdarter@aol.com

Interesting, and nicely written. Thanks.

Good write up, thanks. :) I've had no problems with the AR on my 37 and I don't mollycoddle my watches. When I had a 656 I had to remove the AR with a Dremmel as it scratched/flaked terribly. :cry:
    F.T.F.A.

Great write up and pics! The DA37 looks super, and I wish I had one (I owned a DA36 and it was lovely but not as special looking as the 37).

Grand Master

Great review! :D

Grand Master

Nice write up & interesting read. Never been really interested in the Damasko line, although parts of them appeal there's just something that does not, possibly the size.
    /vince ..

Quote Originally Posted by VinceR
    Nice write up & interesting read. Never been really interested in the Damasko line, although parts of them appeal there's just something that does not, possibly the size.
    I have wrists a smidge under 7" and don't feel that my Damaskos wear at all "large".Neither did my UX. It's a matter of proportion and lug length IMHO. :)

F.T.F.A.

I enjoyed that, a good read 8)

Craftsman

damasko a bit pricy
    buy good quality

Thanks for that review.
    Damasko and Sinn are my favourite watch brands.

I want one!

Craftsman

Did you ever sell the Sinn 756?

Quote Originally Posted by hsukirk
    Great review and I have finally managed to secure a DA37 which hopefully is a keeper :mrgreen:
    Famous last words Kirk :D

Craftsman

Smile DA 37 - 6 years on!

Who would have thought, after 6 years the DA37 is still my daily wear. Whilst others have been flipped the Damasko has stayed with me all this time and is still as good as the day it arrived that morning in 2007.

IMG_7184.jpg by Lostgear, on Flickr

For the last couple of years it has been my main watch, only briefly supplanted for a couple of months with a PRS 22 and a Longines. So bearing in mind the usage it has had , its condition is testament to the Damasko case technology.

It does have a tiny nick in the bezel, which is only really visible under a loupe, and the outer anti-reflective coating on the crystal looks a little worse for wear in certain light. But apart from that it looks like it is BNIB.

I do miss the original strap, although it was a bit long for my 6 1/2" wrist. It has been on a Rios Alligator for about 1 1/2 years. However I note with anticipation the recently announced Damasko bracelet.

IMG_7178.jpg by Lostgear, on Flickr

The watch went back to Damasko over last christmas for a full service. I'm afraid this was rather expensive as there were numerous repairs required due to a botched service by a local watchmaker. Lesson learnt from that is to let Damasko service these watches, not your local guy!

IMG_7182.jpg by Lostgear, on Flickr

So to summarise, its a great watch that always grabs peoples attention, is suitable for all occasions, that has stood up to 6 years of abuse with no signs of wear and still keeps to 1 to 2 seconds a week.

I think this is the perfect watch. BRING ON THE BRACELET!!

IMG_7175.jpg by Lostgear, on Flickr

Journeyman
    It looks like new, impressive. I always liked the Damasko watches =)

I'm wearing my 37 as I type this. I recall reading this review in 2008, and have just noticed that the serial number of my watch is consecutive to the OP's, ie. 0007 ! Mine is in equally good nick, and it's been in regular rotation. I bought it from abraxas​, who was the original purchaser in Sept. 2006. I think I bought it in early 2007. My DC 56, which I bought new from Eddie in Sept is also wearing well, apart from a miniscule mark, the result of a hefty whack on a metal pole which would have badly marked a lesser case. The Rios Juchten leather strap on the 37 is also wearing very well.

Last edited by magirus; 1st December 2013 at 10:45.
    F.T.F.A.

Master
    Still regret selling my DA37. Great watches.

Nice update. Six years on and it still looks great.

Journeyman
    Nice to see post like this.
    I also like my Damaskos : )

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by agvd View Post
    Six years on and it still looks great.
    +1

I'm always amazed at how resistant my DA37 is to picking up marks. I wear it a lot and after 4 or 5 years it still looks brand new.

Thanks for posting a nice review of a great watch. I think it has an enduring style and, for me at least, always brings a wee smile when I put it on.

Very nice shots and close ups!

Craftsman

Has to be one of my favourites -with my eyesight fading large numbers ,clean dial and hands ,simple quality -worth every penny --

Journeyman
    really like the Damasko but I am considering a Sinn 565 as my wrists are very small

Good write-up, thank you for sharing very much indeed! BTW, is it my imagination or there is something wrong with the lume between 2 & 3 o'clock?

This review is now on the official Damasko Facebook page.

Stunning watch. I had a DA47 for a while. Wish I didn't let it go!

Really good to read this report as I've just taken delivery of a DA36!

Quote Originally Posted by abraxas View Post
    The DA37 is the best ‘pilots’ bar none. And until Eddie decides to do a homage also the best modern interpretation of the ...

6B/159
    http://homepage.mac.com/marvin.smith/6BWebPage/TOC.html

http://6b159draft.blogspot.com/2006/03/jlc-6b-159.html

john
    I thought I had done my due diligence on the DA37 and I am only sorry to admit this is the first time I have read of this influence.
    Thank You Abraxas, wherever you might be.
    Last edited by forpetesake; 30th January 2014 at 23:42.

Quote Originally Posted by forpetesake View Post
    I thought I had done my due diligence on the DA37 and I am only sorry to admit this is the first time I have read of this influence.
    Thank You Abraxas, wherever you might be.

It's the very watch that abraxas had that I posted about in post #20 of this thread. New to him from Eddie in Sept. 2006, new to me in early 2007 IIRC, still going strong and looking as new.
    F.T.F.A.

I had the pair...

No issues with the watches, loved the dials; I would still own them if they were just a bit larger.

Master
    I thought I would update this thread as I recently purchased the OP's watch from SC and came across this whilst looking for some other info on DA37s. Picture also posted in the Friday thread. The watch is still in very good condition although there are some slight marks in the AR coating. The case is still pretty much as new. It is now on a thick padded calf leather strap but still with the original Damasko buckle fitted. These Damaskos really do hold up well.

I've been wearing mine as part of my rotation for the last 2 or 3 weeks. It's a Sept 2006 watch which I've owned since early 2007, one of the single digit serials, and still looking good. However it's going back in the box today to give some other whirligigs the chance to spin.....

F.T.F.A.