closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Warranty Card retention - now with AD explanation

Master
    Blog Entries
    But equally it’s Rolex and the ADs choice who they sell to. I would prefer the watch to go to someone who genuinely wants it to wear it . If you don’t like the business model then you should buy a different brand.

Quote Originally Posted by Gav View Post
    But equally it’s Rolex and the ADs choice who they sell to. I would prefer the watch to go to someone who genuinely wants it to wear it . If you don’t like the business model then you should buy a different brand.
    Agreed, I would prefer it to go to an enthusiast - but ultimately if someone is paying for the item it should be theirs to do with as they please.
    If you sell your house you can select who you sell it to buy you can't hold on to the deeds to prevent your buyers from reselling the property.
    Why should Rolex be any different when it comes to the transfer of ownership that they should seek to determine what a buyer does with their property?
    As for me, I've already voted with my feet (or wallet) as I don't think Rolex are what they used to be and I can't be bothered to play their games as they try to become a luxury brand.
    In Madeira last Christmas you could take your pick of new Stainless Steel date or non-date Submariner in the AD shop window.
    When I walked past without considering purchasing one of these so called scarce items I realised I was cured :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nairn1980 View Post
    Seems pretty common now. Rolex recommend ADs do it, but leave the decision up to the AD.

There should be some type of agreement to sign I’d imagine prior to collection.

It’s all in the war against flippers and to most, I’d say it won’t be a problem to most people and if means the right people get the Watches it can’t be a bad thing.
    I signed for one of the agreements Friday gone and argued about the situation.
    They said it was from above (Rolex) I said it was a group thing.
    They left it there.

Quote Originally Posted by adg31 View Post
    If you sell your house you can select who you sell it to buy you can't hold on to the deeds to prevent your buyers from reselling the property.
    Why should Rolex be any different when it comes to the transfer of ownership that they should seek to determine what a buyer does with their property?
    If you could buy a lovely new home (your dream house) from a company called ‘Daytona Developments’ for £800k, which would instantly be worth £1,300,000 - would still buy it if the developer said the deeds had to be kept for a year, because they are trying to avoid speculators from flipping th house straight on, when you buy the house?

Its a funny one this - if a little overdone.

The last time l rang rolex head office, a few months ago, they denied all knowledge of this "policy" and placed all blame firmly on the AD...

Quote Originally Posted by thestore View Post
    If you could buy a lovely new home (your dream house) from a company called ‘Daytona Developments’ for £800k, which would instantly be worth £1,300,000 - would still buy it if the developer said the deeds had to be kept for a year, because they are trying to avoid speculators from flipping th house straight on, when you buy the house?

Would you like to tell me more about this shortage which requires Warranty Card retention to prevent flipping on scare models such as the Submariner?

Tune in next week when adg31 finds the holy grail and Lord Lucan

Quote Originally Posted by Gyp View Post
    Tune in next week when adg31 finds the holy grail and Lord Lucan
    In all fairness Elvis was sipping from the Holy Grail just out of shot :)

In all fairness Elvis was sipping from the Holy Grail just out of shot :)

So where was this bizarre bazaar?

Quote Originally Posted by Gyp View Post

So where was this bizarre bazaar?
    Madeira around an hour ago; my guess is that it's the same one that was in the window at Christmas. Not seen the SDDS here before.

Would you like to tell me more about this shortage which requires Warranty Card retention to prevent flipping on scare models such as the Submariner?
    Wow a load of bi-metals and one non-date sub in an obscure AD on an island with a population of 250,000 people - don't worry guys, there is no shortage!!

It is an issue of Rolex’s own making by trying to control the market. If they are unhappy that people profit then increase retail price or increase supply to stop the scarcity driving the up the speculators price!

Simply to solve really but as Rolex haven’t, I take this as an endorsement of the status quo and that withholding cards is just a kick in the balls to customers while they think they benefit from the perceived rarity of the watch. Similar behaviour to DeBeers!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 7184c View Post
    Bought from Aurum a month ago and no card retention. I wonder if it’s only applicable to the models that can be flipped.
    I was in Fraser Hart Maidstone yesterday. I enquired if they have a retention policy on warranty cards. I was told they do on certain models but the ND Sub & the Explorer 2 are not among them. Wait times for a ND Sub are 2 years & a Pepsi, 5 years...

Master
    I just cannot understand all the fuss over warranty card retention.

If you don't like Rolex business terms, just buy another brand - easy peasy.

Also why would a normal person buy a brand new watch today and then sell it within twelve months, it does not make sense.

It just seems a storm in a tea cup.

Madeira around an hour ago; my guess is that it's the same one that was in the window at Christmas. Not seen the SDDS here before.

Don't fancy popping back to pick me up the ND?

Wow a load of bi-metals and one non-date sub in an obscure AD on an island with a population of 250,000 people - don't worry guys, there is no shortage!!

But sadly the value of Daytona Developments has just dropped on the stock market :)

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    I just cannot understand all the fuss over warranty card retention.

If you don't like Rolex business terms, just buy another brand - easy peasy.

Also why would a normal person buy a brand new watch today and then sell it within twelve months, it does not make sense.

It just seems a storm in a tea cup.
    I`ve heard rumours that some of these Rolex models can be sold at a premium over list price!.....seems crazy to me but that's what I`ve heard Some folks spend £9K on a watch then decide they don`t like it and sell it immediately, imagine their relief when they realise folks will pay more than they've paid despite the watch no longer being brand new.

Strange, very strange!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    I`ve heard rumours that some of these Rolex models can be sold at a premium over list price!.....seems crazy to me but that's what I`ve heard Some folks spend £9K on a watch then decide they don`t like it and sell it immediately, imagine their relief when they realise folks will pay more than they've paid despite the watch no longer being brand new.

Strange, very strange!
    I suppose if the seller and the new overpaying buyer are both happy, what's the problem, it's a free market after all.

Person walks into a Rolex shop, if they are not 100% happy with either the watch or the T&Cs, all they have to do is rotate 180 degrees and walk out.

I suppose if the seller and the new overpaying buyer are both happy, what's the problem, it's a free market after all.
    If only Rolex saw things as simply, this thread would have never existed :)

Master
    If only Rolex saw things as simply, this thread would have never existed :)

What Rolex think is none of your business and only theirs.

There is no problem other than a few old minnies getting wound up over trivia.

Remain calm and carry on etc is bloody good advice.

Indeed.

I’m not even sure why this thread was started considering the subject has been done to death.

What Rolex think is none of your business and only theirs.

Remain calm and carry on etc is bloody good advice.
    I generally prefer 'Nothing matters very much and few things matter at all'.
    So you can't have a Warranty Card with one brand of watch; who cares? Buy another brand and the problem is gone.
    Ultimately family, friends and health are all that really matter.

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post

Strange, very strange!
    Wow that’s crazy! Rolex should let their ADs charge whatever they like and include the warranty card with every purchase. It would add around 15-20% to the price of most models, but people would get to keep their warranty card.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by DeepCWCDeskDiver View Post
    I was in Fraser Hart Maidstone yesterday. I enquired if they have a retention policy on warranty cards. I was told they do on certain models but the ND Sub & the Explorer 2 are not among them. Wait times for a ND Sub are 2 years & a Pepsi, 5 years...
    I think it’s a big smoke and mirrors I enquired about SS stock at a central London AD where I have purchase history and am on waiting list for a Pepsi and could choose between SS date or no date subs.

The concern is more that if you have bought an SS model in the last 12 months they won’t sell you another! Anyone else heard this?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 7184c View Post
    I think it’s a big smoke and mirrors I enquired about SS stock at a central London AD where I have purchase history and am on waiting list for a Pepsi and could choose between SS date or no date subs.

The concern is more that if you have bought an SS model in the last 12 months they won’t sell you another! Anyone else heard this?
    Yup. Was offered a TT Root Beer and told if I buy it I would have to wait a year for my SS Pepsi!

What a relief, thanks.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I have to agree with Mick.
    The fuss and indignation about cards being withheld. So what?

If you're buying to keep - you know the terms and you can walk away with or without the watch.
    If you're buying to flip - do so without the warranty card or be prevented from doing so, in which case mission accomplished.

All the barking about I refuse to have my card withheld and I'll not be buying from Rolex so NER is peacock nonsense because no, you won't, and it won't be your choice if you refuse the terms so you're pretty much shouting that the ocean is wet.
    The queues are long enough for Rolex to skip over the aggrieved without losing a minutes sleep.

Wow that’s crazy! Rolex should let their ADs charge whatever they like and include the warranty card with every purchase. It would add around 15-20% to the price of most models, but people would get to keep their warranty card.
    They should sell the warranty cards separately, seems people want this more than the watch.

Quote Originally Posted by gbn13 View Post
    Only £16,000! There are a couple showing on Chrono24 at £19,995. Complete madness.
    Anyone daft enough to spunk that kind of oof to jump the queue might as well go for the white gold version, one of which is for sale in the window of nearly every dealer.

Apprentice
    Seems pretty common now. Rolex recommend ADs do it, but leave the decision up to the AD.
    How do you know Rolex recommends ADs do it? Have you spoken to anyone from Rolex?

Quote Originally Posted by 33JS View Post
    The letter stating Rolexes preference was sent on the 1st March. Copy below:
    Quote Originally Posted by Boots View Post
    How do you know Rolex recommends ADs do it? Have you spoken to anyone from Rolex?
    Cheers..
    Jase

Quote Originally Posted by Boots View Post
    Yes!

Yes!

Master
    I’m actually more troubled by the removal of the stickers than the retention of the plastic card. If I want to keep it unworn I know in 12 months I will get the card but it will still be un stickered !

Apprentice
    They CAN charge whatever they like. They just won't be a Rolex AD anymore if they violate the terms of sale policy. Rolex won't let ADs (in the US, anyway) charge one penny over retail or they lose their AD certification. Discounting, however, is allowed but only on certain models at certain times. And you can keep your warranty card. Just don't buy the watch if they try to withhold it.

Quote Originally Posted by haberdashery View Post
    1st May it was introduced, and from what I can see there’s zero discretion available to or exercised by AD staff at Aurum Group.

Not sure how I feel about it, but I think my overriding feeling is that it’s a really silly way to try and tackle the grey market when a lot of watches at greys are coming from overseas. That said, I haven’t seen a 126710 BLRO on Watchfinder yet, so I imagine Rolex would argue it’s working!

Though one was recently taken up by a private dealer in the US and sold for circa USD23k I believe - what's MRRP USD11800 or something like that

Quote Originally Posted by haberdashery View Post
    1st May it was introduced, and from what I can see there’s zero discretion available to or exercised by AD staff at Aurum Group.

Not sure how I feel about it, but I think my overriding feeling is that it’s a really silly way to try and tackle the grey market when a lot of watches at greys are coming from overseas. That said, I haven’t seen a 126710 BLRO on Watchfinder yet, so I imagine Rolex would argue it’s working!

Though one was recently taken up by a private dealer in the US and sold for circa USD23k I believe - what's MRRP USD11800 or something like that

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Seamaster73 View Post
    Anyone daft enough to spunk that kind of oof to jump the queue might as well go for the white gold version, one of which is for sale in the window of nearly every dealer.
    Give it a year. Once people who received one in the initial release start picking up their warantee cards there will be a glut of complete sets on the market - I doubt the price will decrease much before then.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by stelmo01 View Post
    Give it a year. Once people who received one in the initial release start picking up their warantee cards there will be a glut of complete sets on the market - I doubt the price will decrease much before then.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    A glut, really? You're deluded if you think these are gonna be dumped quickly. IMHO

Quote Originally Posted by 33JS View Post
    A glut, really? You're deluded if you think these are gonna be dumped quickly. IMHO
    Yep agree with you, they have cut supply so much and those that want to make a few quid would not tie up that money for a year.

Master
    It's obviously having little affect if Chrono 24 and the new GMT is anything to go by. There are currently 65 available, at ludicrous prices of course:

https://www.chrono24.com.au/rolex/ref-126710blro.htm
    Last edited by stix; 9th July 2018 at 11:44.

Quote Originally Posted by stix View Post
    It's obviously having little affect if Chrono 24 and the new GMT is anything to go by. There are currently 65 available, at ludicrous prices of course:

https://www.chrono24.com.au/rolex/ref-126710blro.htm
    I don't have anything specifically against the grey market, but it is actually sad just how many of these have been flipped. I wonder what the better solution would be for Rolex ensure their watches go straight to enthusiasts?

I doubt many are from UK dealers with warranty cards. This listing is a UK watch, with box and papers, until you see it is a copy of the warranty card:

https://www.chrono24.co.uk/rolex/gmt...-id8534024.htm

Imagine paying £17,500 and getting a photocopied warranty card!

Master
    I don't have anything specifically against the grey market, but it is actually sad just how many of these have been flipped. I wonder what the better solution would be for Rolex ensure their watches go straight to enthusiasts?

I doubt many are from UK dealers with warranty cards. This listing is a UK watch, with box and papers, until you see it is a copy of the warranty card:

I suppose if you want it and have the bread, you just accept it, as it's not really going to affect the warranty in real terms. I was just more surprised at how many are available globally.

Master
    £10,700 profit is a fair attraction for most people.

Craftsman
    I think Rolex ( their watches I love) as a company are a bunch of cocks.
    When I buy a product I do not want the seller to dictate that they will remove stickers and keep warranty cards. I know they will not care but I will never buy from cocks that think this is acceptable.

Blog Entries

LOL!

Like every other sports/telly personality I see on my screen lately, wearing a ceramic Daytona.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!