closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: SD43 for a DSSD Cameron.

Craftsman

SD43 for a DSSD Cameron.

Hi folks.

Had a SD43 today for my 50th.

Went out with a colleague who has a JC DSSD, 2016.

He has asked if I’d be interested in swapping, plus 1K from himself..

Any opinions.

Master
    Personally I would go for it. The 116660 is no longer being made and you could always pick up another sd43 in the future.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

No.

Trade from a purely £ wise......eta- Whoops, Just re read the original post..... he’s giving you a grand! Financially you are on the better side for sure. Deep blues seem on the up recently.

I love the blue dial on the Cameron, it’s a lovely watch. But then the sd43 is like the perfect allrounder, if not a little plain in comparison.

Tough call. I think if I wanted to wear it every day the sd43. I think if I wanted something special as part of a collection then the Cameron deepblue.
    Last edited by tz-uk73; 19th September 2018 at 13:00.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Robsmck View Post
    Personally I would go for it. The 116660 is no longer being made and you could always pick up another sd43 in the future.

The 116660 is no longer being made.?

Master
    I was about to ask that too, but a quick check on the Rolex site now calls it a 126660, with the new bracelet design.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by alanm_3 View Post
    I was about ta ask that too, but a quick check on the Rolex site now calls it a 126660, with the new bracelet design.
    Right, with the new lugs as well.

Master
    That sounds a great deal for you.

Master
    No chance. SD50 is perfectly wearable, the old DSSD is ungainly and top heavy.
    A perfect JC for the safe would be ok, but they're not moving fast.

Master
    Presumably your friend made that offer because he prefers the 43mm; wise man.
    By far the better all-round watch. Just more wearable, more comfortable.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    Presumably your friend made that offer because he prefers the 43mm; wise man.
    By far the better all-round watch. Just more wearable, more comfortable.
    And the fact it’s brand new, he has a thing about warranties..

Master
    Indeed not. Rolex now make a 126660.
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Chopper View Post
    The 116660 is no longer being made.?
    Edit to add I see that Alan already answered that.

Blog Entries
    I wouldn't swap a SD43 / SD50 / 126600 for a 2016 DSSD JC.

As said - there has been a new release of the 126660 this year of the Deep Blue with the newer movement and case lug change - which I would hold out for if I wanted a DSSD. The SD43 are not that easy to get hold of and the new 126660 is £1K retail more than the SD43 new if you did want one.

Master
    Is someone going to ask if your sd43 has the mk1 dial?

Last edited by Robsmck; 19th September 2018 at 13:35.

Craftsman
    If it were me, I'd say no. Not just because I don't like the deepsea that much, mainly because what would the giver of the gift say if you went out and got rid of it so soon? All about the relationship politics!

Andy you’re tempted and you like the bigger watches

Go for it

The DSSD is a much nicer watch and talking point than the SD

You can always get another

A grand plus the watch you want.....

Owl1
    Don't swap , the Cameron is easier to get hold of and a bit childish to be honest (no offence to current owners ) i had the Cameron and moved it on for the basic deepsea .

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Chopper View Post
    And the fact it’s brand new, he has a thing about warranties..
    Well, he has nothing to worry about with the JC, that should still have 3 years warranty to run.

Sounds like a decent deal for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Owl1 View Post
    Don't swap , the Cameron is easier to get hold of and a bit childish to be honest (no offence to current owners ) i had the Cameron and moved it on for the basic deepsea .

You will a actually find the Cameron is more difficult to get hold of from ads then the sd43

Owl1
    Quote Originally Posted by taz11 View Post
    You will a actually find the Cameron is more difficult to get hold of from ads then the sd43
    Are you talking about the original Cameron or the new Deepsea deep blue?

Craftsman

Agree

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    I wouldn't swap a SD43 / SD50 / 126600 for a 2016 DSSD JC.

As said - there has been a new release of the 126660 this year of the Deep Blue with the newer movement and case lug change - which I would hold out for if I wanted a DSSD. The SD43 are not that easy to get hold of and the new 126660 is £1K retail more than the SD43 new if you did want one.
    Would agree with Martyn on this. With the arrival of the newly improved Deepsea in both standard and JC models, those are the references i would be looking for.

Even though the upgrade changes are small, they have made a major aesthetic improvement to the watch for the better and i think that is why we are starting too see many of the old reference coming to the market for sale or trade before prices start to seriously drop on the secondary market, which appears to be already happening to the pre Basel 2018 DSSD standard model.

Master
    I would have expected money his way along with your SD43 rather than the other way around. If you like the James Cameron and it wears nicely on you, then it is a good deal for you

I was interested in reading the replies on this one as I own both and have been considering of late letting one go but ultimately can’t choose one over the other as they are both stunning watches and neither are easy to replace.
    I think at this particular moment the JC DSSD is easier to replace than the SD43 but who knows in years to come.

I’ve slept on it..... take the deep blue for sure. I had more than one of each over the last couple of years and i’ve always worn and wear and enjoyed the deep blue more than the sd43. Like I say above, if it’s your only watch then a different matter, and perhaps stick with the sd43.

If £’s matter, you definitely win by swapping. The deepblue is regularly fetching more than the sd43 and my local grey dealer finds the Cameron and easier sell too.

You know the deepsea well anyway.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tz-uk73 View Post
    I’ve slept on it..... take the deep blue for sure. I had more than one of each over the last couple of years and i’ve always worn and wear and enjoyed the deep blue more than the sd43. Like I say above, if it’s your only watch then a different matter, and perhaps stick with the sd43.

If £’s matter, you definitely win by swapping. The deepblue is regularly fetching more than the sd43 and my local grey dealer finds the Cameron and easier sell too.

You know the deepsea well anyway.
    Good point. For an "only" watch i woukd keep the sd43, but in a collection the Cameron is just a bit special.

Craftsman
    I think thats a great deal for you - I am biased as i love the D Blue... but woulndt hesitate!!!

Master
    I think both watches would realistically sell for @ £9.5k at the moment. The fact that he wants to give you £1k makes the deal better for you.

Master
    I have both watches and they are both great. I think the blue looks better if I’m honest, but the sd43 wears slightly better for what it’s worth.

If it a financial decision, I’m fairly sure I’ve read here and elsewhere that there’s a lot of deep sea blues in dealers safes tucked away for future sales, which will limit future rises - if it’s true of course.

I’ve had the Cameron and standard deepsea but had an SD43 for 3 weeks since getting the call....
    I’m 6’1” and large frame. The deepsea wears too top heavy for my preference and early ones have (to my mind) an under-width bracelet
    SD43 answers these issues for me, so much so that my beloved SD4k will probably be moved on soon
    🐐