closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Royal Mail conundrum

Royal Mail conundrum

Last week I post some sunglasses for sale on SC. Someone on TZ PM"S me and says he wants them . This is someone who I have dealt with in the past, long term member, has done me favours in the past and who I have no reason whatsoever not to trust. As far as I'm concerned , he's solid and one of the good guys, definitely.

I say, don't worry about the payment yet, I will send them to you, and then if on receipt you are happy, you can pay me then.

Matey asks me to send to his mums house, because his Mrs will flip if another pair of sunnies turns up.

All well and good so far...

I send them 2nd class, small parcel. This is on the 13th.

Matey gets in touch with me on Sunday. They haven't arrived. I say, be patient , the post is crap sometimes. Last week I had a letter that took over a week to arrive.

So the item still hasn't arrived. I ask matey to double check with his mum. Nothing.

So I then check the tracking number on my receipt. Tracking says item delivered on the 15th. However, no signature, as not a signed for service.

Matey checks with his mum again , she was definitely in that day, and nothing arrived. Postman would have had to ring the bell, because the parcel wouldn't fit through the door.

So Matey has no sunnies, and I can't make any claim from RM because their system shows the item was delivered.

Mystery.

I have asked matey to ask his mum to ask her postie etc etc etc but I wonder if this will ever get solved. ..

Parcel was fairly non descript, with no indication of what was inside.

Not exactly the greatest disaster in the world , but still.

Any ideas? Apart from slow worm etc.

In my mind, there is no way this member would ever try and diddle me over this. If it was a newbie, or someone not known to me, however, I might feel different

TIA

Dave
    Last edited by seikopath; 21st June 2018 at 07:17.
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Make a claim. Tell the PO that despite their records it was not delivered. They should mount an enquiry. I had to do this once and they did look into it and eventually diagnosed a case of mistaken pacrel identity.

Did the value of the glasses not warrant a signed for service, it would have been a very small amount for piece of mind.?

Anyway, if they did not get delivered to the mother's address then a neighbour would be the most likely and as you have suggested speaking to the postie.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Arcam View Post
    Did the value of the glasses not warrant a signed for service, it would have been a very small amount for piece of mind.?

Anyway, if they did not get delivered to the mother's address then a neighbour would be the most likely and as you have suggested speaking to the postie.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk
    The ad was for 50 quid, he offered me 40, and i was going to let him have them for 35 as he has done me a favour in the past.

You are right though, I should have got signed for , lesson learnt though.

Blog Entries
    Yup, I am waiting 13 days now for a parcel to arrive from the UK. Royal Mail... Luckily these are boat parts that are pretty common, so I can ask the seller to send me a new parcel. I've done numerous deals with this guy so no doubt about him as a seller.

Menno

Quote Originally Posted by unclealec View Post
    Make a claim. Tell the PO that despite their records it was not delivered. They should mount an enquiry. I had to do this once and they did look into it and eventually diagnosed a case of mistaken pacrel identity.

Cheers Unc. just tried to make a claim, they say I have to wait ten days until after posting as it was second class.

I was on the receiving end of something similar once. Turned out it was delivered to a neighbour who then went on holiday and didn’t bother to let me know even when they got back. Parcel was sat in their hallway for months before they remembered to tell me. Didn’t get a card from the postie either.

Send the claim now, second class.

Does the buyer have a big nose? Or his Mum?
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

I ordered a saddle off Amazon. My heart sank when the status on the order page read "Now passed to the Royal Mail". I have a screenshot somewhere. Needless to say it never turned up. I think RMSD is the only way to go with them nowadays.

Has the member or his mum checked with the neighbours?

Also worth a quick check around the property.

My business parcels come to my home address and have had times when I’ve chased a parcel to be told it’s been delivered (no card) to then find it behind a gate or at the house four doors down!

If it hasn’t got to be signed for you find in a lot of instances the postie won’t want to carry it around for the rest of his shift so will try to leave with a neighbour or a safe place.

I’ve had items sent to me via RoyalMail that have shown up as ‘delivered’ but not actually delivered. When I went to discuss missing item at local sorting office a few days later, mysteriously the missing parcel was delivered the very next day. It seems postie, who was new to the route left package at different address but didn’t leave a ‘sorry we missed you card’ he then whipped around to collect it from there and brought it to my house since I would have no clue it was there.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Matey has just offered me twenty quid even though none of this is his fault. Still some good guys on tz.

I've got much more on my plate to worry about than a missing pair of sunglasses atm, it's a niggle but no biggy and hopefully they will turn up.

This can be caused by the postie "forgetting" to leave a card, and you may well find the parcel is waiting at the local delivery office to be collected. if that's the case your parcel will be returned to you (if you have a return address on it), though that normally takes about 4-5 weeks from when you sent it. maybe ask the buyer to check with the local delivery office to save the wait?

Apprentice
    I'm a member of a shaving forum & I sold some shaving soap to a long-time member who is a top fella who wouldn't lie. Value was only £20 so I just sent it 2nd class. It didn't arrive so I refunded his money. Payment & refund were by paypal. I made a claim with Royal Mail who required some kind of proof. As i'm not computer savvy, I took photos of my screen showing my paypal account money in from him & also my refund to him. I expected them to take ages but to my complete surprise, they paid out the next day.

If it was sent 2nd class, then how would there be any tracking on the item to actually show as delivered?

Master
    the local office should be able to check the GPS of where the item was scanned as delivered.
    Try sending me the 2D tracking number

Quote Originally Posted by lewie View Post
    the local office should be able to check the GPS of where the item was scanned as delivered.
    Try sending me the 2D tracking number
    Hi Lewie.
    Sent a pm with photo attached. Hopefully you recieve it ok. Many thanks for your help. Dave

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Here's a question I hope someone can answer. We live in a village outlying Poole by about 8 miles (by road). You see loads of courier delivery vans these days but not many Royal Mail. The other day I was expecting a package when a red van pulled up in a turning area. As I was in the garden filling a watering can which was taking ages, I waited for him to come around the corner. He didn't. When I went looking for him (the number can be difficult to find first time), to my astonishment he was driving away. My neighbours were outside so I assumed he'd left my parcel with them. He hadn't. They told me they were expecting a parcel by Royal Mail as well. He hadn't got theirs, he'd got one for number 27.

Mine came later in the day.

The thing is, three people, pretty well next to each other in an outlying village, what are they doing, bringing one at a time?

I spit on your conundrum. Here's a conundrum.

A few years ago I received, RMSD, a large Jiffy bag that I was not expecting, addressed to me with a printed address label bearing Royal Mail legend.

When I opened it, I found it to contain stamps, Pension books, Postal Orders, and other trappings of a normal day at a sub - post - office. Thousands of pounds worth.
    Also there was documentation showing clearly that the intended recipient was , surprise surprise, a local sub-post-office.

Having exhausted all thoughts of how I could benefit personally from this windfall, I phoned the sub-postmaster and drove round to present him with his goodies. I was received somewhat surlily, as though I was pulling some kind of stunt, but no matter, if I were a sub-postmaster in north Manchester I would probably be surly too.

No explanation was ever offered or sought; no follow-up contact from Royal Mail or Post Office Services. A total mystery.

I recently sent a watch to a TZ'er by RMSD next day by 1pm. It turned up a day late. I submitted a refund and to my surprise it arrived by cheque within a week.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    I recently sent a watch to a TZ'er by RMSD next day by 1pm. It turned up a day late. I submitted a refund and to my surprise it arrived by cheque within a week.
    Cheque?!? The Royal Mail uses cheques in this day and age?!? How dated.
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    Cheques are always dated, chap

So does the DVLA.

Surprised me too. There was no request for your bank details on the refund form. Ridiculous for £7.30 and a trip into town to bank it.

Master
    A recent compensation payout from RAC came by cheque. First I've had in several years.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Late train partial refund also came by cheque it was for something piddling like a fiver on a £25 ticket :(

I think refunds are often made by cheque, as opposed to direct refunds to a card or account, becuase there is always the chance that the cheque is never cashed.

I once complained about the melted mass of of after eight mints I purchased from my local supermarket, I was issued a £4 goodwill cheque.

Quote Originally Posted by IAmATeaf View Post
    I once complained about the melted mass of of after eight mints I purchased from my local supermarket, I was issued a £4 goodwill cheque.
    Bet you still ate them
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Bet you still ate them
    In the middle of the night, bathed in the illumination from the open fridge door.

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    In the middle of the night, bathed in the illumination from the open fridge door.
    Pics or it didn't happen