closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Explorer ii at list

Master
    Blog Entries

Explorer ii at list

Hi, I've got the opportunity to buy a new black dialed explorer 2 at list price 5950.

Is it worth getting as a wearable investment or is it only the GMT 40mm models which hold the value like a vault?

Say no.

Master
    Blog Entries
    It’s about the only SS sports model that you can walk into most Ad’s and buy. So no.

Master
    Don’t the explore 2 models dip a bit then stabilise? It certainly won’t hold or go for over list like a blnr etc. I have seen 2 explorer 2 models in my local ad over the past 3 months. Certainly the easier to come by of the Rolex ss sports range.

Buy one next time you travel if you want one. I love the white dial version, and if all other things were equal I’d choose one over a ceramic GMT or Sub. I wear mine more than any Rolex GMT or Sub I’ve owned - in fact I’ve probably worn one version or another of the Explorer II more than any other Rolex besides my white gold Daytona.
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by pete-r View Post
    Hi, I've got the opportunity to buy a new black dialed explorer 2 at list price 5950.

Is it worth getting as a wearable investment or is it only the GMT 40mm models which hold the value like a vault?
    Probably not. Personally I think it’s too big at 42mm diameter, the 16570 was much better proportionally. But that’s just my opinion.

If it ticks your boxes and you’re just looking at it retaining most of its value then go for it.

As an investment no, worth getting as it’s a cool watch yes!

As others have mentioned it’s about the only unloved SS model and you will be able to get it with a free Rolex service (if you negotiate which will be worth £500 so you are looking at an effective value of 5.5k) grey prices vary from 5.2-6k unworn and used 4.4-5.5k.

So if you needed to sell it, you would loose money but as someone that hated the explorer 2 when it came out, I actually think it’s one of the coolest SS models with the super fat hands, and orange 24 hour hand! I have only seen one in the wild compared to hundreds of subs and in 20 years maybe it will be sort after but if you buy it because you love it then losing a little money doesn’t matter imo

Good luck what ever you decide

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Buy it because you like it not because it may be worth Extra ££ in a few years. Personally I prefer it to the other GMT variants!

Master
    Blog Entries
    I'd I had my choice is love an all black GMT, but I'm not going to wait and won't pay over.

I'm not really bothered about it going up, more that I don't want to buy something that drops like a stone once I leave the store.

I would use it and enjoy it, but know I'll get most of it back if i sold it.

I always see them in ad windows,not hard to come by

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Journeyman
    Pick up the polar a month ago, 6 months old in perfect condition for £5k. Checked with watchfinder and they said they would offer me £4400 for it, so a £600 loss if I decide to sell it. Not an issue for me as it's a keeper and has become my daily!!

Journeyman

Congratulations, that’s a great watch at a fantastic price! I hope you enjoy it for many years to come! I also bought the polar 216570 and love it

Master
    I have a white one and in fact it's my only Rolex at the moment as at 42mm and wearing flat on my wrist it's so comfortable.

I am very tempted to get a black faced one also as they can be picked up for a good discount...no link to this company but shows what they van be picked up for.

https://www.dream-watches.co.uk/role...category_id=75

Buy a used one if you can

As other have already said on this thread, it is the watch I wear most often and suits a multitude of situations. Being the white version, mine has a distinctly different asthetic to many of the modern sports SS Rolex models.

My white ExpII 42 has survived whilst multiple Subs, a SS Daytona (non-ceramic), D-Blue, Milgauss GV and GMTII have been culled. It is the one Rolex I can imagine keeping and for me a lot of it has to do with the style of the white dial, ease of wear and the fact that it isn't the ubiquitous Sub-style.

It seem like no time at all since the RRP for these watches was comfortably sub-£5k. Arguably one of the most coherent-looking modern Rolexes but just too big. If it were 40mm and retained the relatively narrow lugs, I think they'd have a winner. But that's not going to happen because Rolex have completely lost touch with the concept of elegance and subtlety.

So, if spending close to £6k on a trinket is something you can accommodate without breaking sweat, and if you genuinely like the watch, then why not?

M

Blog Entries
    I have the Polar one bought from an AD new. Didn't buy it to sell so I don't really care that it hasn't immediately risen in value. Wear it more than any other at the moment, definitely prefer the case shape to the 'big lug' Subs.

If you want one and will enjoy it, buy it. If you want something to flip and make a few quid buy something else.

ook

Master
    Blog Entries
    They are always in Gassan in Shipol, probably worth a trip if you want one.

- - - Updated - - -

They are always in Gassan in Shipol, probably worth a trip if you want one.

Journeyman
    Probably not an investment as in a number of AD's windows at the mo. Lovely watch though.

Do you like this watch? If yes then buy it! Wear it and enjoy it. A classic. Long term values will hold. Long term.

Are you looking to buy this watch as an investment short term only? If yes then no.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for the advice guys. Well I tried it on but I was really flat about it. The size wears a bit big and it didn't feel that nice on the wrist. My 44 ROO feels better maybe it's a lug length thing?!?!

I think the white would be better because the AR on the glass seems quite poor and coupled with the cyclops it was hard to see the time in strong sunlight with the black.

The finish was lovely though I much prefer the brushed bracelet compared to the polished parts on the GMT.

Tried on a 39mm Oyster rhodium but again disappointed, especially with the AR.

Then I looked at a zenith pilot big date and that blew me away, so I'm weighing up the fact I'll lose a bundle on it verses the fact I really like it haha.

A first world problem I know!

Master
    No problems in strong sunlight reading my white one.

Master
    I bought my black face one when they were first launched, and on the question of profit/value retention, I think the only time it would have ever returned a profit was in the first few weeks when it was very hard to come by.

That being said, they are lovely, and that is why I still have mine.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I buckled and opted for the Zenith.

Residuals much weaker but I got 30% off to offset it somewhat.

Master

Last bargain!

Got to be the last of the bargain used Sports Rolex models out there?
    I wouldn’t buy new but that’s just because the used prices are great at the moment plus I like the fact that when I’m in London especially I don’t see many in comparison to the absolute sea of subs, gmts and Daytona’s!
    Always nice to be a little different but also go a little understated? I prefer black foaled but have started to looks the white as almost a completely different watch?? Maybe I should get a white and a black? At a push you could almost get both for the new price of a sub???

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by MartinCRC View Post
    It seem like no time at all since the RRP for these watches was comfortably sub-£5k. Arguably one of the most coherent-looking modern Rolexes but just too big. If it were 40mm and retained the relatively narrow lugs, I think they'd have a winner. But that's not going to happen because Rolex have completely lost touch with the concept of elegance and subtlety.

So, if spending close to £6k on a trinket is something you can accommodate without breaking sweat, and if you genuinely like the watch, then why not?

M
    The 42mm Explorer was £5350 when it was introduced, quite a jump from the £4750 of the outgoing model. It stayed at the same price when Rolex had their next price rise though.

Craftsman
    What is RRP these days-£5850 or so?

Quote Originally Posted by LaurasOtherHalf View Post
    What is RRP these days-£5850 or so?
    £5950

The black bezel GMTii is £6200
    Last edited by Der Amf; 27th June 2018 at 08:35.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    £5950
    Ought to be £6,950, the brand needs pushing much harder.

It's a well made good looking watch and would still sell well at that price.

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    £5950

The black bezel GMTii is £6200
    I actually like the current Exp II - a bit different, and I think the dial & hand set add great character - but at those RRP prices I'd find it hard not to go for the GMT II instead (presuming I could find one) - just a more versatile wear, with a bezel and better sized.

However, an old 16570 Exp II would win-out over both, and at just a bit more than half those prices - bargain.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post

Given that it doesn’t sell particularly well at £5950 Mick, I doubt they’d move many at a grand dearer.

Have you been on the sauce early today?

Craftsman

Personal views aside, I'm always amazed at how cheap the GMT complications are compared to the other watches, considering what you get mechanically.

I jumped on one before the price hike in 2016. I thought it was a good price then at £5350

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    Given that it doesn’t sell particularly well at £5950 Mick, I doubt they’d move many at a grand dearer.

Have you been on the sauce early today?
    Dave

I think you will find that the 216570s sell fairly quickly. People can't buy a Sub, they panic slightly and buy any other SS model including the Explorer2s.

The days of them hanging around in the dealers are over, proof that the policy of holding back on volumes is working well for Rolex.

Mick

Dave

I think you will find that the 216570s sell fairly quickly. People can't buy a Sub, they panic slightly and buy any other SS model including the Explorer2s.

The days of them hanging around in the dealers are over, proof that the policy of holding back on volumes is working well for Rolex.

Mick
    I hear what you’re saying Mick and you could be right. I can’t see them selling at a grand more but if people come to expect it then it could happen!

Quote Originally Posted by Stringer View Post
    I actually like the current Exp II - a bit different, and I think the dial & hand set add great character - but at those RRP prices I'd find it hard not to go for the GMT II instead (presuming I could find one) - just a more versatile wear, with a bezel and better sized.

However, an old 16570 Exp II would win-out over both, and at just a bit more than half those prices - bargain.
    Well for us with larger wrists the 42mm is perfect. What do you get more in the GMT? only thing I can think of is the bezel. I see them as quite different models and not necessarily competitors. One is more dressy with the PCLs whereas the other is more of a tool watch.

As for the OPs question, buy it if you like it, not as an investment. They might be the next rolex model to take off (who predicted the hulk would) but who knows.

Master
    Blog Entries

Happy with the choice so far.

I still hanker for a black ceramic GMT but it'll have to wait.

:)

Quote Originally Posted by meijlinder View Post
    Well for us with larger wrists the 42mm is perfect. What do you get more in the GMT? only thing I can think of is the bezel. I see them as quite different models and not necessarily competitors. One is more dressy with the PCLs whereas the other is more of a tool watch.

As for the OPs question, buy it if you like it, not as an investment. They might be the next rolex model to take off (who predicted the hulk would) but who knows.
    Seconded, bought mine upon release and I cannot see it leaving my watch box (not an easy feat),

Once the exp2 comes with glide lock, triple lock crown and a bezel which doesn't love scratches I'll buy another. Shame as such a lovely watch an so anti Rolex in a way.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Well done - I have a Zenith (Rainbow Flyback) and is one of 2 watches I would never sell.

Much more fun to have something different that you actually like too !

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Blog Entries
    Funny enough I've also got a Rainbow, but the white dial non flyback. I'm a Zenith fan-boy I can't deny it...