closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Interesting podcast

Craftsman

Interesting podcast

The Why Factor - Why are watches enduring status symbols? - @bbcworldservice

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p02j0p7k

If you’ve 15 mins to spare worth a listen.

Neil

Banned
    Torquay, Devon. Great place to work and relax. Love flying and lots of great sea walks.
    Well worth a listen.
    It seems the older generation are the watch enthusiasts.
    B.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post

Neil
    Very good, thanks for sharing. It incorporated a lot of different interesting bits into it that I didn’t expect, including an interview with Steven Hale.

Quote Originally Posted by Webwatchmaker View Post
    Well worth a listen.
    B.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
    Whether watches will continue to be seen as a status symbol is unknown. Social media sites like instagram are the platforms favoured by millennials for to share their status. No point wearing a little watch as a status symbol when barely anyone notices it, when you can share a pic of you sipping champagne in the Burj Al Arab with millions of people.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post

Neil
    Thanks for that. I'll download on my phone for later.

Craftsman
    Haven't listened yet but it begs the question, if the younger generations really do have a declining interest in watches, is there going to be a long term decline in the value of watches that are currently regarded as collectable? If no-one actually wants a scarce vintage Rolex, Heuer Chronograph or ***, is the rarity enough in itself to maintain the value? Hmmmm...?

***Insert collectable watch of your choice

Quote Originally Posted by Webwatchmaker View Post
    Well worth a listen.
    B.
    And watchmakers can’t seem to find apprentices either. In my imagination, it’s one of the most peaceful and rewarding jobs out there. But demand for that profession will be dropping along with the watches themselves, of course.

Craftsman
    I'm enjoying the watch podcast called "Watch and Listen" with Matt Farah and Cameron Weiss. Any petrol head will know Matt Farah from his YouTube channel, he's a burgeoning interest in watches and has teamed up with LA watch maker Cameron Weiss to discuss all things watch related. They're about a dozen episodes into their first season and it's quite enjoyable.

Farah is his usual self, I'm not his biggest fan but he has a genuine interest in watches which make me like him a little more. Weiss is excellent. He's extremely knowledgeable and a real engineer, I could listen to him talk about watches for hour.....and I do!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    Whether watches will continue to be seen as a status symbol is unknown. Social media sites like instagram are the platforms favoured by millennials for to share their status. No point wearing a little watch as a status symbol when barely anyone notices it, when you can share a pic of you sipping champagne in the Burj Al Arab with millions of people.
    Instagram is a big Watch show off too.

Quote Originally Posted by jameswrx View Post
    Instagram is a big Watch show off too.
    ...And a very lucrative selling platform for established watch dealers. Few pay for your attention but some do.