closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Ouch! But worth it.

Blog Entries

Ouch! But worth it.

First scratch on my Aquanaut clasp Helping my step daughter plant up some bamboo. Lifted up the ceramic pot - slipped through hand and felt the darn un-glazed section scrape down the clasp. Definite finger nail depth to it. Now the watch is mine and I actually feel relieved in a way :

Now I look at the scratch and remember my 2 1/2 year old grand-daughter and a family holiday, sometimes you have to take the knocks and scrapes to achieve the memories you cherish the most.

Here is the watch that has been in the sand and sea - making memories for the future generations.

Martyn

Always a gut wrenching moment when you put a scratch on a watch, more so I'd imagine on one as expensive as yours. But if it's a keeper, as you say it links to various memories. Hopefully happy ones.

Gardening, in an Aquanaut! I suppose it is your "other" Patek. I'm not sure i would be quite so sanguine about it, but it's good to see that your watch is being worn, not stored in a safe. Memories of family are precious.

Dave

Madness, thats why Gs exist! But you'll remember the story an that in many ways will bring more joy to the whole thing :)

Master
    Blog Entries
    Could of been worse and been the bezel instead (which ive been told is part of the actual watch case - dont quote me on that though)

Blog Entries

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by helidoc View Post
    Gardening, in an Aquanaut! I suppose it is your "other" Patek. I'm not sure i would be quite so sanguine about it, but it's good to see that your watch is being worn, not stored in a safe. Memories of family are precious.

Dave
    I decided to go ‘one-watch’ this holiday. And certainly did not want to leave the Aquanaut lying around with a small child nearby. Anyway - I should have been more careful and taken it off and put in my pocket - I did when I stated weed-whacking (as they call it in Canada).

M

Journeyman
    Love this. Just makes the watch even more special. Nice to it being worn and enjoyed.

I have a couple in the safe still unworn. Ouch indeed!!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 7184c View Post
    Love this. Just makes the watch even more special. Nice to it being worn and enjoyed.

Actually no where as bad as it seems. - the case and highly polished clasp seem very resilient to scratching - unless it takes a direct hit that would even mark up a ceramic bezel.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by alexaff View Post
    I have a couple in the safe still unworn. Ouch indeed!!!
    Why don’t you wear them? (serious question).

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    Why don’t you wear them? (serious question).

Safe in the safe and I have other watches that I much prefer.

“Oh this old thing? It’s my beach and gardening watch”

Seriously, fancy watches with some battle scars are the ultimate in coolness. I’d like to think that, if I ever owned a PP, it would see some action. Wear it in good health.

IMO that is the sub of PP - a watch to be worn not pampered. Wear it, use it and then you will get your moneys worth come service time!

Master
    Bloomin 'eck chaps. Just wear your watches. Almost everything can be repaired. Don't see the point in buying a watch you don't wear.

(sitting wearing my "work" EXP II on an oil rig)

Great attitude OP! Watches are there to be worn and enjoyed. As you say, they build memories with others which are so much more important. Enjoy your beautiful watch in good health for many years to come!

Don't forget - you never own a scratch, you merely create it for the next generation :))

But seriously, chapeau for the way you chose to look at it. Now it's not a generic product anymore, it's a bearer of memories.

Good to hear that not only is the watch being worn, but it’s being worn on holiday.

Craftsman
    The first scratch is the most painful one. Scratches on the clasp are inevitable anyway, so no point of worrying about them.

The whole story with scratching a watch is a pure WIS problem. Normal people don't really care. Now I am not saying we should not be careful while wearing a watch, but at some point the fear of scratches should not outweigh enjoying a nice timepiece.

I greatly admire your attitude Martyn, I think it's very healthy. I'm not sure I would be quite so phlegmatic, but these things should be kept in proportion. We're talking about First World problems, after all.

Simon

Master
    Ah that first scratch on any new watch. Nice to have a lovely memory associated as opposed to scrapping it against a wall or similar!
    I guess this is the watch equivalent of someone getting a first stone chip in their new Porsche - an expensive day to day thing being used as designed.

Master
    Nope, I’d be mortified!

I use my actual memory for storing memories, and I don’t need a gouge anywhere on my man jewellery as a prompt!

If you buy it but don't wear it because you are afraid of breaking it.... simply means you can't afford it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tooks View Post
    Nope, I’d be mortified!

I use my actual memory for storing memories, and I don’t need a gouge anywhere on my man jewellery as a prompt!
    So by your thinking you don’t need keepsakes and things that remind you of happy memories? Yeah I agree sure it’s annoying the clasp is scratched but as the OP said for him now see that scratch he will remember it happening (as you would however it happened!) and then memories with are great ones. Better than a clasp battered by desk diving memories!

If you are a watch enthusiast and enjoy your watches wear them! Enjoy them. They are made to be worn. As other of said if a watch is a keeper use it make memories! IMO I can’t enjoy something I’m scared to wear or damage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love that you have that attitude Martyn, as beautiful and expensive as it is, there’s no substitute for the memories

Master

Memory goes

I think it’s a watch at the end of the day and memories are way more important as that’s all you take with you!
    As for using your memory to remember things I think you will find as you get older and older that will fail you and these little reminders will bring them flooding back!
    I for one love the fact you wore it gardening and the fact you will be leaving it on there! At the end of the day it’s your watch that clearly you wear and enjoy so why would you care unless it’s all about the resale?
    You will have “best” watches in your collection I’m sure that are mint, saying that this one would be better than most of our best watches

Nice story and great memory especially with such a watch!!!!

Chris

Master
    Blog Entries
    Good to see it is bearing the scars of a normal life - I was similarly 'relieved' when I scratched the clasp of my GS diver.

I have got a SD4000 that bears the scars of the previous owners endeavours - I don't mind them at all. But I am in two minds whether to get them polished out when I get it serviced next year so I have a clean slate for my own mishaps/memories!

ATB

Jon

Master
    Saw a guy wearing the same watch in a waterpark a couple of weeks ago. Every scratch tells a story.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Perfect_Sandwich View Post
    Seriously, fancy watches with some battle scars are the ultimate in coolness. I’d like to think that, if I ever owned a PP, it would see some action. Wear it in good health.
    This is true

Wear that bad boy in good health Martyn.
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

These comments about how much better it is with a few battle scars make me laugh - easy to say when it’s not your watch.

Why on earth would you have been doing that wearing a new Patek, Martyn!? You’re lucky it was “just” the clasp.

Different league, but I knew a carpenter who wore his Rolex to work, and even rock climbing! It was scuffed to heck and the bracelet was all loose and floppy. It looked like his trusty old friend, like a tired old pedigree dog who, though a bit tired and worn, would never let his master down.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Perfect_Sandwich View Post
    Different league, but I knew a carpenter who wore his Rolex to work, and even rock climbing! It was scuffed to heck and the bracelet was all loose and floppy. It looked like his trusty old friend, like a tired old pedigree dog who, though a bit tired and worn, would never let his master down.
    Local builder, not a watch person, has a 2254 as their daily wear. It is completely muntered but still going strong.
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by woodacre1983 View Post
    So by your thinking you don’t need keepsakes and things that remind you of happy memories?

If you are a watch enthusiast and enjoy your watches...
    A watch enthusiast, on a watch forum? What nonsense...

Of course I have keepsakes, but they are generally not scratches or other damage.

I got a cracked windscreen once on a driving holiday, doesn’t mean I didn’t get it fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by subchris View Post
    As for using your memory to remember things I think you will find as you get older and older that will fail you and these little reminders will bring them flooding back!

Chris
    I’m old enough to know that if my memory gets that bad that I have to rely on scratches on a watch to remind me of happy memories, I probably won’t remember which one is which anyway...

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    These comments about how much better it is with a few battle scars make me laugh - easy to say when it’s not your watch.
    Hand on heart T I prefer some battle scars to a completely mint watch.
    The swirled ones get the wear because what's done is done.
    Funny way of going about things but it works for me so I can see why Martyn has the relief thing going on.

Great to see a watch being worn as intended - the risk of mishaps is real everyday ie door frame, desks etc.
    I’m a firm believer of wearing my watches and whilst it’s not ideal when I catch one, it is what it is.

I remember the first injury I inflicted on my 5167 and since the first it has had quite a few more.
    Like Martyn, I often choose the 5167 as the one watch for a holiday as it does everything so well.
    However, let me dispel a few misconceptions about susceptibility to scratches - both the clasp and the bezel on the 5167 are very very prone to picking up scratches and scuffs. This is also true of the Nautilus range. The 5167 clasp can pick up scratches easily by say using a Macbook laptop and catching the clasp on the keyboard edge etc etc.
    The bezel is very easily marked - even wood will mark the brushed finish and once it is marked it shows. If you have a coat with zipped pockets then the zips can mark the watch case/bezel.

Master
    The main reason I sold my 5711 was it seemed a scratch magnet, and not particularly tough either. I feel more comfortable with a good Rolex. Just a better 'real world' watch for me.
    Granted, not as 'refined' or prestigious. But I don't miss my Nautilus one little bit. It made me nervous! And that's no fun at all.
    Last edited by paskinner; 20th June 2018 at 17:08.

I feel it Is a little forced to attribute scratches in a watch to memories (what, of carrying a pot?) - I think people get caught up in the romantic idea that one day they’ll point them out to the next generation in some black and white father to son idyllic rose tinted future. If so, we’d have similar feelings about scratches on our cars, shoes, sunglasses. Funny you don’t often hear people saying they are fond memories of being doored in Tescos.

Yes, scratches are a fact and I think a watch with a few is more comfortable to own and wear, but let’s leave the rhetoric to the PP advertising team shall we?!

Craftsman
    First scratch/ding and then it's a slippery slope to a watch that bears battle scars. Must admit I much prefer a watch to be worn and enjoyed whatever the potential damage.

Quote Originally Posted by ped View Post
    I feel it Is a little forced to attribute scratches in a watch to memories (what, of carrying a pot?) - I think people get caught up in the romantic idea that one day they’ll point them out to the next generation in some black and white father to son idyllic rose tinted future. If so, we’d have similar feelings about scratches on our cars, shoes, sunglasses. Funny you don’t often hear people saying they are fond memories of being doored in Tescos.

Yes, scratches are a fact and I think a watch with a few is more comfortable to own and wear, but let’s leave the rhetoric to the PP advertising team shall we?!
    Agreed. I used to romanticise ‘wabi’ in the same way but all the watches I wore during my 20’s and 30’s are all gone and I don’t give it a thought - and I still remember significant moments! - It’s like the ‘mechanical soul vs soulless quartz’ stuff - bunkum imho!

Wear it.

Enjoy it.

Good on you mate.

Quote Originally Posted by ped View Post

Maybe not quite the same thing but when talking about family memories my kids (all in their late teens and twenties now) will say ‘and you were wearing your blue watch’ or whatever.

If something’s important to you I believe it’ll be important to your kids too, one way or another.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by spuds View Post
    Maybe not quite the same thing but when talking about family memories my kids (all in their late teens and twenties now) will say ‘and you were wearing your blue watch’ or whatever.

If something’s important to you I believe it’ll be important to your kids too, one way or another.
    Glad lad your kids have the memories!

I’ll have to ask my grand daughter in 20 years time if she remembers Grandpas watch. Probably not as she had more on her mind when I was playing monsters around the climbing frame, than the small black faced watch with a rubber strap.

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    Glad lad your kids have the memories!

I’ll have to ask my grand daughter in 20 years time if she remembers Grandpas watch. Probably not as she had more on her mind when I was playing monsters around the climbing frame, than the small black faced watch with a rubber strap.
    Maybe not at her age, but it’s bizarre how my kids know more about my watch collection and new watches or what I was wearing than my wife! And often dob me on new stuff!

My son 9 often inspects my watch and comments on my choice!

Built a log cabin windowless shed in my Milgauss, ouch scratched the bezel but shed looking good! Just need to paint it now IMG_5798.JPG
    12' x 8'

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app