closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Help Please - Time Zone Atomic Clocks?

Help Please - Time Zone Atomic Clocks?

I have a project which requires five analogue clocks to be put up on a wall, showing five separate time zones: UK, GMT +1, Aus, West & East Coast USA.

I'm trying to avoid manual adjust clocks because when all five are lined up, I know they will go out of synch quite quickly. You can buy analogue atomic clocks in the UK that provide UK & GMT+1; however, I haven't been able to find any radio/atomic clocks that offer US/Australian time zones.

At this stage, my assumption is that the radio frequency that the clock would rely on to set itself, to Aus or US times, isn't strong enough in the UK; therefore, they don't sell them here. However, I wanted to check before buying manual set ones. I have also found wifi time zone analogue clocks but they seem to be sold by US providers only and I am still no sure how they work.

This is the sort of look I have to deliver and my ideal is to have them all setting themselves automatically:-

Has anyone had to do this and did you find an automated solution?

Bit of a fudge but could you move the hour hands round on their spindles so they 'think' its GMT but displays something else?

Not sure about DST adjustments though...

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Bit of a fudge but could you move the hour hands round on their spindles so they 'think' its GMT but displays something else?

Not sure about DST adjustments though...
    It is a good idea but looking at the clock we have already, these things aren't that well made and I think I'd probably end up with droopy hands

Journeyman
    What about analogue clocks syncing from an (S)NTP server? Maybe something like masterclock.com. Each clock can be set to a different locale/UTC offset.

Quote Originally Posted by AM94 View Post

I'm trying to avoid manual adjust clocks because when all five are lined up, I know they will go out of synch quite quickly.
    What do you mean by 'quite quickly'?
    How much accuracy do you need?
    I would have thought manual adjust with a high quality quartz movement would be your best bet. Preferably non ticking!
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by AM94 View Post
    It is a good idea but looking at the clock we have already, these things aren't that well made and I think I'd probably end up with droopy hands
    Yes we did that and got the droopy hands. Last time I looked multi-time zone clock setups seem to be quite pricey. I'd be interested if you can find a reasonable product at a reasonable price.

Quote Originally Posted by seikopath View Post
    What do you mean by 'quite quickly'?
    How much accuracy do you need?
    As much as I'd like to say, not a lot, in this particular situation, there is a critical element to the users of the office needing to tell the precise time in a specific zone. Therefore, synched clocks would be ideal.

I have a radio controlled Leff that I bought from TK Maxx years ago and I remember reading at the time that they accidentally sold a number that we're for a European time zone as opposed to GMT.

On the basis that they must sell to more than one market, would it be worth getting onto a manufacturer like that and asking if you can order a number for specific time zones?

Since we're on a watch forum...

These are in the ticket office at Goodwood. Worth asking there just in case? Plus they'd make the daddy of all Friday wrist shots.
    "A man of little significance"

Quote Originally Posted by jimmy_lazers View Post
    I have a radio controlled Leff that I bought from TK Maxx years ago and I remember reading at the time that they accidentally sold a number that we're for a European time zone as opposed to GMT.

On the basis that they must sell to more than one market, would it be worth getting onto a manufacturer like that and asking if you can order a number for specific time zones?
    Won't a US one, for example, sync to a US radio signal?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sunaxi View Post
    What about analogue clocks syncing from an (S)NTP server? Maybe something like masterclock.com. Each clock can be set to a different locale/UTC offset.
    OP - these seem to be the ones you want: https://www.masterclock.com/products...clktcd/12-inch. each can be offset from UTC synched clocks - buy one for each TZ.

M