closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Going fishin'? Here is a watch for you.

Going fishin'? Here is a watch for you.

I am a bit of a sucker for old time Protrek watches. Here is one I picked up recently.

It is the PRT-11 Protrek. The watch was never issued in the West so you don’t see them very often and definitely not this ‘Bassing Gear’ edition, which is a celebration of fishing and fits the theme of the watch and functions of the watch which would be useful for a fisherman. Indeed this is the only one I have ever seen.

The rubber strap is Japan made and fits with a SS deployant

It is fairly well featured around its outdoorsman / fisherman theme. It has a permanent display of the current tide position in time mode. It also has a moon phase display

It has a permanent graphical display of temperature which is displayed in Centigrade with no option to switch. The graph runs from –20C to 50C.

In addition, in timekeeping mode you can switch to constantly showing the temperature on the main display instead of the date.

It has a Moon phase display and you can check the information out for any date past or present.

Also it has Sunset and Sunrise times which again can be checked by date. I think this complication is quite useful. The watch makes its calculations from difference to GMT and longitude and latitude data you input.

It has a tide graph mode where you can check the tide for any hour on any date. The data for this has to be input by giving the lunitidal interval with no option to just set it by inputting the high tide information which is less convenient than some new tide watches.

t also has the usual daily alarm and hourly signal. The alarm is for a full 20 seconds and is very loud compared to modern solar Casio’s

It has a 24 hour stop watch with the usual split times function.

The watch is in mint condition, it can’t have been worn much as I cant see any marks on the case or clasp. The design won’t please everyone of course but it achieves its aim of being a useful outdoor tool. Putting screws on the face of its more ‘tool like’ watches is a bit of a Casio trait but I am not so sure about the gold colour of the screws on the face of this one.

Leaping bass on caseback.

It has Auto EL with a fantastic, rather cool, leaping bass graphic.

A few wrist shots.

I like to post about these not very well known watches, I think it adds a bit of variety to the forum. Any thoughts on the watch?

Mitch
    Last edited by Mitch; 19th June 2018 at 15:50.

My thoughts are that I go fishing so I should have it. £25 delivered OK?

Very unusual; very desirable.

Very jealous.

Quote Originally Posted by unclealec View Post
    My thoughts are that I go fishing so I should have it. £25 delivered OK?

Very unusual; very desirable.

Very jealous.

Cheers!

As I said I appreciate variety in my watches and like to have the more unusual stuff.

Most people on the forum seem to just like the 'usual suspects' it seems though and will comment on stuff that has been posted thousands of times before and not so much on something out of the usual order.

Mitch

Master
    Not my cup of tea but very very interesting nonetheless. Like you I love these unusual pieces that no one else has in their collection, it's always rewarding to uncover a gem.
    Congratulations on the find!

- - - Updated - - -

Great post too, very detailed and well written.

Really interesting piece, thanks for sharing.

As you say - lots of similar stuff being posted for "that's nice" comments. Good to read about something I'd never heard of before.