closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Which diver?

Banned

Which diver?

With an upcoming trip to NZ and Australia and lots of swimming on the cards I've got a sudden urge for a diver. The three I've got in mind are the Tag Aquaracer, Omega Seamaster JB and the Oris Aquis. I'm looking at something between 39 and 41mm and water resistance exceeding 20atm. I really don't like the look of the Submariner or Black Bay but am open to other suggestions. Thanks in advance.

I'd think about a Longines Hydroconquest too, personally (I did and have one).

Of those you mention, I think I like the Oris best, but, really, it's just a matter of personal taste - The Omega will probably hold its value best.

M

In order of preference, I'd personally put those three as:

1. Omega
    2. Oris
    3. Tag

I think the Omega is a classic and it's hard to go wrong with it. Oris appears to have quite a loyal and enthusiastic following on here and I've never heard anything bad about them. Personally, the Tag doesn't particularly appeal and there are very mixed views here about them.

For the sake of clarity I should just make it clear that I've never owned any of them myself!

Simon
    Last edited by mycroft; 19th June 2018 at 09:36. Reason: Spolling mistook...

What's the budget and how carefully do you want to look after this? If I'm on holiday I'm conscious there's a much greater risk of mislaying a watch, never mind damaging it in unfamiliar surroundings and circumstances. If it were me I'd be looking for a solid, reliable beater that meets the requirements. As such, a BFK seems to fit the bill.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Deleted

Looks to be to cheap for the OP
    Last edited by bwest76; 19th June 2018 at 11:10.

Master
    Oris is nearer 43mm.

All good watches but wide range of prices there. Aquis is about £1300 new. Omega and Tag depend on whether you go quartz or automatic. Auto Omega is about £2.5k. Tag auto about £1600.

I'd try to find a peachy used version of one. Aquis can be had for £700 mint.

I would go for the Omega out of those three but it is much more expensive than the other two. You could buy a used seamaster for the price of a new Aquaracer but unless it has had a recent service I wouldn’t be too confident using it under water.
    In saying that, I have a 41mm Aquaracer and love it. The build quality is every bit as good as my Omega Speedmaster (but I know a lot of watch guys aren’t fans of Tag).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blow £80 on a Divex 200m. At the price it's like getting a free watch.

Personally I wouldn't want that much money hanging off my wrist. I'd get an SKX007 plus a second one in case I lost or broke the first.

Plus a GShock.

Buy 7 of these - Even if they fail after a swim, you can switch to another.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Casio-Colle...1&keywords=f91

And they won't - I had one for years that I wore windsurfing - I fell in a lot, the watch always worked...

Of course, that's not addressing your original question, but, as usual, that seems to be the way these threads go...

M

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MurrayMint View Post
    Personally I wouldn't want that much money hanging off my wrist. I'd get an SKX007 plus a second one in case I lost or broke the first.

Plus a GShock.
    Great call. Or even better a 009 for some colour.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    Buy 7 of these - Even if they fail after a swim, you can switch to another.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Casio-Colle...1&keywords=f91

And they won't - I had one for years that I wore windsurfing - I fell in a lot, the watch always worked...

Of course, that's not addressing your original question, but, as usual, that seems to be the way these threads go...

M
    Hardly an easy to read diving watch.

Master
    Out of those I’d pick the Omega. For something a little different how about one of Eddies finest, a PRS18 ? A great diving watch!

Here’s my diver that everyone on here will hate. ;)

Banned
    Thanks for the replies. I definitely want auto rather than quartz. Budget upto €2k euro but, would go to €3k if there was something I really like . If I lose it it's insured and I'll be staying with family for most, if not all, of the time.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mycroft View Post
    In order of preference, I'd personally put those three as:

1. Omega
    2. Oris
    3. Tag

I think the Omega is a classic and it's hard to go wrong with it. Oris appears to have quite a loyal and enthusiastic following on here and I've never heard anything bad about them. Personally, the Tag doesn't particularly appeal and there are very mixed views here about them.

For the sake of clarity I should just make it clear that I've never owned any of them myself!

Simon
    This exactly.

I've had a couple of Orises and an SMP, the SMP is the better watch, in my view. Personally I prefer the blue dial. Pick up a used one for about £1500, and resell for the same later, if you don't get on with it.

Happy days!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by sandman View Post

Here’s my diver that everyone on here will hate. ;)

I really like the look of these. What's wrong with them?

Master
    i have the Oris Aquis, it's a lovely watch, well build, feels tough and looks great, I have the green bezel, although they now have a full green one.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with them. They are great watches and look fantastic imo.
    Watch snobs don’t like them because they say TAG on them. The only place I have ever come across this attitude is on here though.
    As I mentioned above, I would avoid a used dive watch unless it has had a recent service and you can be sure it was pressure tested afterwards.

Craftsman
    I wear an aquaracer daily. It is extremely reliable, has great and consistent accuracy and is very comfortable. It is the black titanium model on rubber which I got as new old stock very keenly priced. Worth hunting down if there are any left in dealers. (and yes, I have used it underwater)

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Dunce View Post
    Blow £80 on a Divex 200m. At the price it's like getting a free watch.
    Even if you buy one of the ones you're looking at, you can hardly go wrong with one of these as well...

Simon

Quote Originally Posted by bwest76 View Post
    Hardly an easy to read diving watch.
    Was more of a comment on the way the threads always degenerate

What about a Dreadnought Voyager from Eddie? Great divers watch and a lot of watch for your money (I always drop a kilo from my weightbelt when I'm wearing mine!)!

It's my 'long haul diving trip' watch

M

They do the Oris Aquis date in 39.5mm, choice of bracelet, rubber or linen.
    The blue dial is a lovely watch, I had the 43.5 mm version but it was a bit too
    big, believe they have also made the case a bit thinner as well.

Craftsman
    I really wanted the Oris Aquis with the blue sunburst dial after seeing it online , ideally with the silicone strap went down to my local jeweller and tried one with a bracelet but it felt awful felt really cheap and not at all well made I was really disappointed , perhaps I was wrong , I do still love the design and it would probably be my choice out of the 3 and I do own and love my Seamaster

Master
    Seiko have some great options.
    You should be able to get an SLA017 for under €3k, or an MM300