closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What is happening with VW?

Craftsman
    My mate ordered a Golf R last week. Black with all the toys, ordered through CarWos. 6 weeks delivery he was told

Quote Originally Posted by casbar View Post
    My mate ordered a Golf R last week. Black with all the toys, ordered through CarWos. 6 weeks delivery he was told
    CarWow?

Probably an unsold forward order that the retailer has coming down the pipe. Will need to be registered by August 31st at a guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Liner33 View Post
    Having a scheduled shutdown is by far the most efficient and cheapest way of stopping a production line, it allows routine maintenance or replacement of the machinery , cleaning and repainting, new systems to be installed without unscheduled and extremely expensive loss of production, summer shutdowns are the norm for the car manufacturing industry
    And your point is,

Master
    So more reading and some hints from Car mag and also the 2015 EU6 regs.

So Car magazine was saying how the M3 is no more until a new EU6 version comes out at the end of next year or maybe 2020.

It looks like the car manufacturers have been able to get away with flaunting EU6 regs because a) it's an average over your range and b) no body was checking. Anyway with the new real-world mpg/emissions tests it looks like the manufacturers will not longer have such an easy ride. Hence a lot of cars that blatantly do not meet the regs are getting pulled until new engines/cars come along next year or later. e.g. the new M3 due 2020!

Quote Originally Posted by solwisesteve View Post
    So more reading and some hints from Car mag and also the 2015 EU6 regs.

So Car magazine was saying how the M3 is no more until a new EU6 version comes out at the end of next year or maybe 2020.

It looks like the car manufacturers have been able to get away with flaunting EU6 regs because a) it's an average over your range and b) no body was checking. Anyway with the new real-world mpg/emissions tests it looks like the manufacturers will not longer have such an easy ride. Hence a lot of cars that blatantly do not meet the regs are getting pulled until new engines/cars come along next year or later. e.g. the new M3 due 2020!

I would add that WLTP (new read world emissions test) is a totally different procedure, meaning every possible permitation of body kit, wheel, tyre, engine, market & factory fit accessories must now be tested, as opposed to just 'worst case' as agreed with the certification body, in the UK the VCA. Every variant needs to be wind tunnel tested, drag calculated, complete the drive test etc.

However the issue of 'cars being pulled' has little to do with this - and is greatly misunderstood by most dealers and the press. Timed to coincide with these new test procedures are a change in regulation standards from EU6c t o EU6d. This is a major step up. To meet EU6d many petrol engines now need GPFs, and lots of engines just can't meet it full stop.

Most manufacturers have had new engine lines in the pipeline for 5 years or more, and these engines are then timed into the next facelift/new programme on each car.

EU6c card cannot be registered after Sept 18, so there is no sense in taking orders for anything you cannot deliver and sell before August, as the dealers will need to register then to themselves and then sell as 2nd hand.

The is also the massive task of retooling production plants to the new powertrain. So the delay is partly manufacturers avoiding unsold cars, partly plant retooling, partly new certification is signed off by market one by one, and partly engine delays as any big programme inevitably has some.

Sorry for the long post, but thought some may five out interesting and make it to the end.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluehase284 View Post
    I would add that WLTP (new read world emissions test) is a totally different procedure, meaning every possible permitation of body kit, wheel, tyre, engine, market & factory fit accessories must now be tested, as opposed to just 'worst case' as agreed with the certification body, in the UK the VCA. Every variant needs to be wind tunnel tested, drag calculated, complete the drive test etc.

However the issue of 'cars being pulled' has little to do with this - and is greatly misunderstood by most dealers and the press. Timed to coincide with these new test procedures are a change in regulation standards from EU6c t o EU6d. This is a major step up. To meet EU6d many petrol engines now need GPFs, and lots of engines just can't meet it full stop.

Most manufacturers have had new engine lines in the pipeline for 5 years or more, and these engines are then timed into the next facelift/new programme on each car.

EU6c card cannot be registered after Sept 18, so there is no sense in taking orders for anything you cannot deliver and sell before August, as the dealers will need to register then to themselves and then sell as 2nd hand.

The is also the massive task of retooling production plants to the new powertrain. So the delay is partly manufacturers avoiding unsold cars, partly plant retooling, partly new certification is signed off by market one by one, and partly engine delays as any big programme inevitably has some.

Sorry for the long post, but thought some may five out interesting and make it to the end.
    Thanks.... very interesting.

if true VW must be massively behind the other manufacturers https://www.fleeteurope.com/en/manuf...y-euro-6d-temp

Craftsman
    It’s likeky to be a combination of factors that causes the shutdown, I think it’s a mix of routine maintainence and new model introduction

Quote Originally Posted by LuvWatch View Post
    I ordered my Passat estate R-line in May, was told of the difficulties and was given a date of September 10th - we will see!
    I have been told a few weeks ago it will now be November delivery (but be a 2019 model) okay I can live with that.

This week I was told, the colour I had chosen, 'Harvard Blue', was no longer available, I will need to choose another colour. Okay, I asked for a list of colours which are now available, they couldn't !!

Yesterday I was told the engine I had chosen (1.8 petrol 180ps) is not available and I can choose a 1.5 petrol, I asked about the 2.0 litre petrol - no.

I am popping in tomorrow to try and sort it out. I know I should walk, but I did get £7k off list with the options I want and will be a 2019 model.

Quite frustrated really.

Quote Originally Posted by LuvWatch View Post
    I have been told a few weeks ago it will now be November delivery (but be a 2019 model) okay I can live with that.

This week I was told, the colour I had chosen, 'Harvard Blue', was no longer available, I will need to choose another colour. Okay, I asked for a list of colours which are now available, they couldn't !!

Yesterday I was told the engine I had chosen (1.8 petrol 180ps) is not available and I can choose a 1.5 petrol, I asked about the 2.0 litre petrol - no.

I am popping in tomorrow to try and sort it out. I know I should walk, but I did get £7k off list with the options I want and will be a 2019 model.

Quite frustrated really.
    The online VW site shows Harvard Blue as an option with either a 2.0 petrol or 2.0 Diesel. The 1.5 petrol is not shown as an option on the R-Line.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    The online VW site shows Harvard Blue as an option with either a 2.0 petrol or 2.0 Diesel. The 1.5 petrol is not shown as an option on the R-Line.
    I know! I pointed this out to both the retailer and VW UK - Hopefully get more answers tomorrow

Craftsman
    Waited an age for my previous Golf R estate but I was one of the lucky ones this time round and got my Up GTI sooner than most! Having driven the S3, an obvious alternative to the R, the interior was a real letdown in the Audi - very plain in comparison.