closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Newb: Alternatives to Sumo?

Newb: Alternatives to Sumo?

Hope this isn't asked every week... ;-)

For no reason at all I fancy a change to my "Holiday watch". (My present one is here if you fancy a nice Seiko Kinetic 200m... sorry! )

I'm thinking "Sumo" at this point but what others should be on my radar?

I fancy an automatic but I'm open to a Kinetic. Definitely nothing with a battery!
    200m+ WR
    Toolish rather than blingy.
    7.5in wrist. I wear a Sinn 103 daily so I'm used to a certain bulk. (Don't want anything bigger than the Sumo though)
    Budget is £400 or so. Happy to buy used.

Anything I should know about?

S
    Last edited by s.lowhand; 19th June 2018 at 10:03.

You're risking a ban by linking to a sales post without the requisite number of posts. I might suggest removing the link, then others might chime in with suggestions. Oh, and Kinetics have batteries.

Quote Originally Posted by Man of Kent View Post
    You're risking a ban by linking to a sales post without the requisite number of posts. I might suggest removing the link, then others might chime in with suggestions. Oh, and Kinetics have batteries.
    Thanks for the heads-up...

Master
    Blog Entries
    I love my sumo (well it's a blumo) - it's my daily wearer and is accurate and really legible. I wear it on its bracelet, a Crafter Blue rubber strap and, my favourite option, a grey nato. So they are pretty versatile. Lots of other options of course.

Master
    Sumo is hard to beat at its price point if you're after a chunky yet more refined (than skx) diver. Gorgeous indices and blazing lume. I prefer the pre Prospex version with the cursive automatic writing. Over £1k less than the MM300 but feels like a £1k watch.

Worth looking at Steinhart's range. Their divers range is very strong value and build quality.

Worth looking on here at Precista's range. I'm not sure what's currently available as I suspect all of the models I own may be discontinued.

Quote Originally Posted by JonRA View Post
    I love my sumo (well it's a blumo) - it's my daily wearer and is accurate and really legible. I wear it on its bracelet, a Crafter Blue rubber strap and, my favourite option, a grey nato. So they are pretty versatile. Lots of other options of course.
    Jon, Yes, I think it's going to take something very special to knock it off the top spot on my list... We'll see ;-)

Edit: Doesn't it sit high on a Nato strap...?

S
    Last edited by s.lowhand; 19th June 2018 at 14:41.

Quote Originally Posted by stefmcd View Post
    Sumo is hard to beat at its price point if you're after a chunky yet more refined (than skx) diver. Gorgeous indices and blazing lume. I prefer the pre Prospex version with the cursive automatic writing. Over £1k less than the MM300 but feels like a £1k watch.

Worth looking at Steinhart's range. Their divers range is very strong value and build quality.

Worth looking on here at Precista's range. I'm not sure what's currently available as I suspect all of the models I own may be discontinued.
    I'm a bit wary of the Steinharts... I ordered one years ago and the first time I went to set the time, the whole crown assembly came off in my hand. Not impressed! :-) They do look good though, if a bit derivative.

S

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by s.lowhand View Post
    Jon, Yes, I think it's going to take something very special to knock it off the top spot on my list... We'll see ;-)

Edit: Doesn't it sit high on a Nato strap...?

S
    It's only a cheap - ie thin - nato and I find it fine. I mainly wear tee shirts (and jumper if cold) so no cuffs to worry about. But the other options are also fine. The only thing I wouldn't do is put it on a flat ended strap because there would be too big a gap (for me) between strap and case. The bracelet has solid end links, the CB straps are shaped to fit and the nato fills the gap too.

Oh God... you've got me looking at the Ocean One GMT and Ocean Vintage GMT now... :-)

S

Master
    Disclaimer: I'm not responsible for anyone spending money..... ;-)

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

The perfect holiday watch for me is the Citizen ‘Orca’ BN0015-07E

Yes it has a battery (as does your Kinetic) but this is a solar powered watch and so will never need a battery change. Lume on these is on a par with the Seiko range and so is also a winning feature.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Agree with Steinhart, had an ocean one loved it, sold it, regret it. Bought another (from the forum).

Their customer service after sales team are meant to be spot on too. Any problems I would say give them a shout. The GMT’s look great! Do it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Really like that Orca guys, but you know it's all about the Orange Monster

Quote Originally Posted by uktotty View Post
    Really like that Orca guys, but you know it's all about the Orange Monster
    Can't get past that massive bezel... :-)

S

- - - Updated - - -

Disclaimer: I'm not responsible for anyone spending money..... ;-)

Steinhart Triton 1000m too...;-)

Quote Originally Posted by MintG View Post
    The perfect holiday watch for me is the Citizen ‘Orca’ BN0015-07E

Yes it has a battery (as does your Kinetic) but this is a solar powered watch and so will never need a battery change. Lume on these is on a par with the Seiko range and so is also a winning feature.

Another one of those massive bezels... They look like toys to my eyes.

S

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by jamestmusic View Post
    Agree with Steinhart, had an ocean one loved it, sold it, regret it. Bought another (from the forum).

Their customer service after sales team are meant to be spot on too. Any problems I would say give them a shout. The GMT’s look great! Do it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    They certainly dealt with my refund without a fuss...

S

Christopher Ward?

No love for C.Ward around here...?

Master
    Have owned a couple and been impressed by build and finish of C Ward. Get one in a sale (they happen every 6 months or so) or used and you can't go far wrong.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by s.lowhand View Post
    No love for C.Ward around here...?
    I am thinking of trying one out - I want a smaller diver as an alternative to my Blumo and they do a 38mm one. As stefmcd has suggested, I will probably wait for a CW Sale or see if one pops up in Sales Corner

ATB

Jon

Another great option is the Citizen Eco Drive BN0151-09L. Same brilliant solar technology but the design is more in keeping with a traditional dive watch.

Quote Originally Posted by MintG View Post
    Another great option is the Citizen Eco Drive BN0151-09L. Same brilliant solar technology but the design is more in keeping with a traditional dive watch.

Yes, that's quite nice...

Craftsman
    £200ish over budget, but I've always thought these look nice:

http://www.gnomonwatches.com/watches...a-sel-bracelet

The Sumo is a great summer/holiday watch, and excellent value for money. The case design is quite unique, and it has the most appealing handset of the Seiko divers to my eye.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app