closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: House woes

Master

House woes

3 weeks ago we put an offer in on a house.
    The vendor told us they where moving out of the area in to a rental. On that information we offered the asking price. We are getting married on August 17th, so with there being no chain we could get a quick transaction and be completed mid July. The vendor has now put a spanner in the works and put an offer in on a house so they are 3 weeks behind us taking us very close to our wedding.

Next problem is we have a tenant ready to move in here beginning off August ish.
    Their tenancy is up on 5th of August where they live now, her landlord won't let her stay any longer as he has another tenant waiting to move in. Unless she signs another 6 month agreement. The vendor was aware of all of the above when we offered.

My other half is buying this house as I already property's in my name , which means she won't have to pay the extra second home tax
    Which is a good few thousand if it completes after we are married.

I want to tell them to stick it but mrs likes the house.

How would you deal with it? We really need the house last week of July latest so decorators and new carpets ect ect can be sorted, leaving a week to get this place decorated for new tenant.

I think you are stuck with the situation, and shouldn’t give the vendor any hint that you are desperate.

Sort yourselves out with a short term rental and furniture storage for the period?

A lot of things wrong with the English/Welsh housing system.

EDIT: Unless you feel the seller has been particularly underhand- then you could play along and drop the offer at the last moment before contract? All depends how much you want the house, of course.
    Last edited by blackal; 19th June 2018 at 04:54.

Master
    Tell them you want to exchange contracts to the agreed timetable and set completion for a date ahead of your wedding.

Puts the problem back in their court as if they don't complete their purchase on time, they'll have the inconvenience of putting their stuff in storage and staying in temporary digs.

Master
    Blog Entries
    You can’t trust anyone,it doesn’t matter what they say how nice they may seem they can do what they want and most likely will.

When I was buying my house [only my 2nd ever] they promised to move in with family if they hadn’t found a place on an agreed date,I had extenuating medical reasons to move on the agreed date.
    He’s a young school teacher,she’s a nice young woman,2 cute kids everyone’s favourite.

Even though I knew it wasn’t binding I had them write it down thinking decent people wouldn’t go back on their word,they did of course with no shame.

In fact they lied,twisted and strung me along purely to suit themselves.
    Meanwhile my buyer who I had given my word to [on the foolish assumption the others where honest] was getting upset I was so apologetic to her all the time.
    I felt guilty so offered her a reduction in price,she pulled out anyway and wouldn’t talk to me.

In the end on principle I did tell them to stuff it he came round my house early in the morning trying to persuade me,I stuck to my guns.

I then found a house where by coincidence i knew the owner,[but not that well] she was a straight talker like me.
    we talked to each other constantly,sorted everything and agreed a date,what I would buy from her etc.
    She moved when she said she would and gave me the keys in advance.

The stress and worry caused by the first people shook my confidence in people and damaged my health.

So my advice would be if you are the only one playing fair you will get hurt,look after your interests first and trust no one.

As for estate agents.

Craftsman
    It's not unusual for people to change their position mid-transaction to suit their own ends. Tempting as it might be to tell them to stick it, I would think long and hard before doing so if your other half really likes the house.

It might sound harsh but I really think you should not prioritise the needs of your potential tenant. They will find another house and you will find another tenant. Do what is best for you and your wife to be - it's not your fault that the goal posts have moved.

Good luck!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

My experience tells me that it's foolish to think you personally can decide the completion date. Somewhere between the solicitors and the lenders and the other people in the chain, delays will be introduced that push your 'target' date back by weeks.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Shropshire Lad View Post
    It's not unusual for people to change their position mid-transaction to suit their own ends. Tempting as it might be to tell them to stick it, I would think long and hard before doing so if your other half really likes the house.

It might sound harsh but I really think you should not prioritise the needs of your potential tenant. They will find another house and you will find another tenant. Do what is best for you and your wife to be - it's not your fault that the goal posts have moved.

Good luck!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    It's not harsh it's just reality.

I just feel really bad that the tenant will be homeless. I know she will find somewhere els. It doesn't make me feel any better about it all tho, I hate not being able to keep a deal a man is only as good as his word. She has 2 small children on her own and seems a really decent person.

I offered it to her at £150 a month cheaper than the going rate for the area. Which probably got her hopes up. Think I might just put her up in a hotel for a couple of weeks till it's sorted, probably stupid but least I will sleep very well a night.

It doesn’t matter how deeply you look into the chain, if it can go wrong, it will go wrong. We agreed to buy 4 houses in succession one summer. All fell through for different reasons. The fifth worked and hey ho it turned out to be the best of them anyway, which nearly always happens I’m told.

Good luck with it, I do think you need to keep optimistic and being considerate of your prospective tenant is a very gentlemanly thing to do.