closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Watches you don't like but still buy?

Watches you don't like but still buy?

I don't like chrono's, I really don't. I much pefer simple three handers or with a date, I especially do not like any watch with a 7750 movement as the subdials at 12. 9 and 6 annoy me. Yet in the last few months I have bought 4 chrono watches!

Zenith,
    Rolex,
    Seiko,
    Random cheap thing (£10 bid on eBay, and it won!),

Only the Seiko has the 12.9 and 6 positions but I still don't like them. Why do I keep doing it?

To be honest, the Rolex dial is such a thing of beauty I forgive it for having extra dials... if I try really hard, I can almost just not see them :) The Zenith I forgive for its heritage etc but I have no excuse for the other two.

Anyone else do this sort of silly thing?

I never used to like chronographs. Now my top 2 are both chronos. As Tony soprano used to say 'watcha gonna do'
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Master
    Seiko divers. I have probably had at least 10 of these, used, new, modded, vintage etc and disliked every one of them. Now I have just gone and bought another, or at least a homage - https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...ghlight=homage.
    I have removed the naff rubber strap and put it on an old leather one, which suits it. I prefer this 6105 shape of case and the dial & hands style. Also, this is the first Seiko diver that has kept decent time, about -4secs/day. All of the previous were +/- mins/day. This has the NH35 movement which hacks and handwinds, so that's better too. However, it's too early to say if it will be kept, or go the way of all the others.
    My other passionate 'watch hate' is anything with an Arabic dial, particularly a 'military' style dial. I learned to tell the time more than 50 years ago so I don't want a watch that is designed for a four year old. I have still bought a few and promptly sold them again, although I think that I've eventually learned my lesson on this.
    Last edited by TomGW; 19th June 2018 at 00:55.

Call me old fashioned, but I only buy watches that I do like.
    F.T.F.A.

Surely residuals are more important than liking the watch.

Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    Call me old fashioned, but I only buy watches that I do like.
    An eminently sensible approach!

Buy watches you like and well, just wear them - what could be more straightforward.

I can’t imagine buying a watch I don’t like, but I understand why people do. If someone it particularly taken by something like heritage or an interesting movement, that might outweigh the aesthetic. Or vice-versa.

I can imagine buying a watch that I wasn't convinced I would like - I can't imagine buying one I definitely didn't like! What would be the point of that?

Simon

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft View Post
    I can imagine buying a watch that I wasn't convinced I would like - I can't imagine buying one I definitely didn't like! What would be the point of that?

Simon
    I know some guys who were convinced they’d like their wives...

Quote Originally Posted by The_Perfect_Sandwich View Post
    You have a point...

Simon

I had a phase of buying yellow dialled watches, because they look great in photos, but they always looked horrible on, but I got over that and now only buy watches I like...

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Surely residuals are more important than liking the watch.
    Steady on there, you'll start them off with talk of stickers and service books and 'their' ADs

M

Master
    Much cheaper
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Perfect_Sandwich View Post
    Story of my life....... cheaper to buy lots of Cartier watches at retail.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk