closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Breitling A17345, advice welcome

Master

Breitling A17345, advice welcome

Hopefully the pictures are showing, photo bucket doesn't seem to be working.

I have some questions, hoping there is some collective knowledge that can help me.

I've been looking for a nice SuperOcean for a while, and found this example.

It's from 2002, sold by a German AD, comes with box and all papers like warranty booklet, chronometer certificate, etc. The date code between the 6 o'clock lugs reads 4601, so that dates the production to week 46 of 2001.

But there are two things that are strange...

First, there is no visible serial number. I've read that serial numbers could have been removed by either a grey dealer or have been polished out over time. I'm certain this watch has been refinished, judging by the bezel (which doesn't have any paint in it). I've looked at it with a loupe, but nothing is there.

Secondly, the crown action is strange, it locks by turning it in the direction you would normally unscrew it and then turning it in the screw in direction. But it's only half a turn and then it locks.

Is there anyone who has ever seen or had this with a SuperOcean? Could it be a good quality copy? Maybe something else that springs to mind?

Any advice or help is welcome, thanks in advance!

Master
    I doubt that any faker would bother engraving the lugs, and not the serial number. Maybe it's got a replacement caseback?

The serial is very lightly engraved between the 6 o'clock lugs. Easy to polish away.... try a very bright light and moving by the case about.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluehase284 View Post
    The serial is very lightly engraved between the 6 o'clock lugs. Easy to polish away.... try a very bright light and moving by the case about.
    that's not the serial

I’ve had one of these and I would say this as been over polished,the crown should unscrew a couple of turns then pop out allowing you to wind it ,then pull out to adjust .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is on mine. The serial would also have been on the base back below the model number very lightly again.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/QjSvD6dxE4ePB48A8

Master
    It is on mine. The serial would also have been on the base back below the model number very lightly again.

can we get a pic of the lugs instead?

on all Breitlings I have and have had, there's only the production date of the case stamped between the lugs, not the serial

If I can find one on my phone as outs in for service atm.... wait out!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mk1974 View Post
    I’ve had one of these and I would say this as been over polished,the crown should unscrew a couple of turns then pop out allowing you to wind it ,then pull out to adjust .

And to screw it back in? Also a few turns?

Now you mention it I do remember mine having a serial number under the model number but really faint,looks like this one as been polished off

Quote Originally Posted by SuperC View Post
    And to screw it back in? Also a few turns?
    I think at least 1-2 turns

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mk1974 View Post
    I think at least 1-2 turns

Ok, thanks, then it looks like this one has a problem with the crown. Also, I found a spot on the dial. I will pass on this one, too many negatives...

Thanks for the comments!

Master
    Looks legit to me but well polished!

Quote Originally Posted by SuperC View Post
    Ok, thanks, then it looks like this one has a problem with the crown. Also, I found a spot on the dial. I will pass on this one, too many negatives...

Thanks for the comments!
    I think that's wise.

All 3 of my Breitlings have the serial number on the caseback below the model number. The fact that it's been completely erased (assuming it was ever there in the first place) is a little odd... and of course the potential problems really seal the (non-)deal, I would have thought.

Simon

Yes, looks like a very hack refinish job.
    I'll do a thread with before /after on a Breitling refurb I did a few weeks ago for reference at some point soon - the numbers are only laser etched out seems and very shallow.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mycroft View Post
    I think that's wise.

All 3 of my Breitlings have the serial number on the caseback below the model number. The fact that it's been completely erased (assuming it was ever there in the first place) is a little odd... and of course the potential problems really seal the (non-)deal, I would have thought.

Simon
    Yes, I think when it comes to flipping it, there will be a lot of questions like I've asked myself, so better keep looking for a better example. This watch comes from a German second hand dealer, how they sold this in the first place is beyond me...