closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Bracelet stretch re Rolex jubilee bracelet?

Bracelet stretch re Rolex jubilee bracelet?

Would I be right in thinking that the issue of bracelet stretch has been eliminated in the newer versions that have solid links?

Even new super jubilee can stretch, not as quick tho..

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ODP View Post
    Would I be right in thinking that the issue of bracelet stretch has been eliminated in the newer versions that have solid links?
    No, you would not ! They can be stretched, distorted and worn --- quickly, too, given harsh wear even by a lady.

I'd think likelihood of stretching remains always, with more pins/links showing it first as you are compounding the number of worn pins.

If the issue is pin wear then the answer, unfortunately, is no.
    Interestingly AD's today seem to be wanting customers to wear their watches tighter to help reduce wear so it would appear thar Rolex still see the issue of wear as a problem with their solid centre links.
    On the same theme, I don't think I've got particularly large wrists at around 7.5" but I do find their new bracelets to be on the tight side and object to paying extra for another link to fit my wrist.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    ^^^^^^

7.5" wrist and Rolex bracelets are tight?

I have 7.25" wrist even wearing a 36mm DJ on a PCL Oyster has a link removed either side of the clasp.

Bracelet stretch re Rolex jubilee bracelet?

Quote Originally Posted by nunya View Post
    ^^^^^^

7.5" wrist and Rolex bracelets are tight?

I have 7.25" wrist even wearing a 36mm DJ on a PCL Oyster has a link removed either side of the clasp.
    I think that my hands would be turning blue at that point
    On my 36mm OP I ended up buying a half link to get a better fit.
    In fairness the Jubilee bracelet on my Datejust was much better and could be worn comfortably without an extra link.

Craftsman
    The strap on my Daytona from early 2000's has always been a bit tight, without any links removed and on it's biggest possible setting.
    It always leaves a strong imprint on my wrist. Am I correct in thinking that this indicates that it is too tight?

Bracelet stretch is just one of the many things that this forum has introduced me to.
    Please could one of you educate me further. I had presumed that wearing my bracelet so tight would have led to significant stretch? (you can actually feel the bracelet and clasp straining when my hand is bent back at the wrist). Sometimes I think the clasp may have even opened a couple of times under this strain.
    But I see it commented below that dealers are now recommending a tighter fit to reduce wear? If this is the case, would my strap have stretched more, if I had of been able to wear it looser?
    How do I check for stretch? Is it as simple as holding up the watch by the head, side on?

BTW From a recent trip to Bond street, where I tried a few current models on. Rolex bracelets seem to have got longer in the past 15 years or so.

Quote Originally Posted by Holy Moses View Post
    The strap on my Daytona from early 2000's has always been a bit tight, without any links removed and on it's biggest possible setting.
    It always leaves a strong imprint on my wrist. Am I correct in thinking that this indicates that it is too tight?

Bracelet stretch is just one of the many things that this forum has introduced me to.
    Please could one of you educate me further. I had presumed that wearing my bracelet so tight would have led to significant stretch? (you can actually feel the bracelet and clasp straining when my hand is bent back at the wrist). Sometimes I think the clasp may have even opened a couple of times under this strain.
    But I see it commented below that dealers are now recommending a tighter fit to reduce wear? If this is the case, would my strap have stretched more, if I had of been able to wear it looser?
    How do I check for stretch? Is it as simple as holding up the watch by the head, side on?

BTW From a recent trip to Bond street, where I tried a few current models on. Rolex bracelets seem to have got longer in the past 15 years or so.
    If a watch is worn loose the links are more free to move around and this movement, accompanied by the grease, dust and other materials that build up through daily wear that act as a type of grinding paste as the watch moves around on the wrist.
    In contrast, wearing a watch tighter, results in less movement and therefore less scope for wear of the pins which hold the bracelet together.
    This is why it is good to keep your watch clean to maximise its longevity.
    You can see bracelet stretch if you hold the head of your watch and see how much the bracelet sags from the horizontal position.
    In terms of Rolex bracelets with the older hollow links I generally had to remove 2 or 3 links, with the new solid links that is never the case!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Holy Moses View Post

1) The strap on my Daytona from early 2000's has always been a bit tight, without any links removed and on it's biggest possible setting.

2) It always leaves a strong imprint on my wrist. Am I correct in thinking that this indicates that it is too tight?

3) ...you can actually feel the bracelet and clasp straining when my hand is bent back at the wrist). Sometimes I think the clasp may have even opened a couple of times under this strain.

4) But I see it commented below that dealers are now recommending a tighter fit to reduce wear?...

5) BTW From a recent trip to Bond street, where I tried a few current models on. Rolex bracelets seem to have got longer in the past 15 years or so.
    1) You must be a chunky monkey
    2) Yes
    3) Are you not wearing the watch correctly, above the ulnar styloid (the nobbly bone above your wrist), where it should be unaffected by the position of your wrist? If you wear it lower, incorrectly in the joint of your wrist, then the torsional forces applied to the bracelet ends are massive when you articulate same.
    4) Advice for years has been to wear it comfortably tight (such that it will not slip down your arm, yet allow a little finger to be worked underneath the bracelet without great pinching) and specifically above the ulnar styloid. Wearing it loose like a jewellery bracelet was reserved for scrapyard owners and larger ladies.
    5) It is most people's experience that bracelets on new Rolex have been supplied in shorter lengths in the last decade, coinciding with the great increase in metals prices circa 2008ff. When two of my colleagues were still managers of main agents about ten years ago they remember bracelets coming through shorter and the introduction of charges for additional links --- or "fat tax" as some cruelly know it.

H
    Last edited by Haywood_Milton; 18th June 2018 at 14:21.

Craftsman

Smile

Thanks for the detailed and impressively speedy replies. Very informative.

I'mm off to wiggle my little finger at body parts that I hadn't heard of before.
    I'll also check the number of links on the bracelet to check back if it was actually supplied full. It is definitely as it came.

I think my wrist measures near to 8.5", Yet I am a fairly normal size and build, fairly weighty though.... My Dad was a proper door filler of a man. So 'big-boned' and 'dense' (in more ways than one perhaps) may be very much the case.

Thanks again, a grateful and impressed, Chunky Monkey