closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: "We may record this conversation for training purposes"

"We may record this conversation for training purposes"

Long story short, I'm in dispute with my car insurance provider over something that they said they'd do/arrange for me. Now the time has come to fulfil their obligation they're saying that they have no notes to that effect and that, basically, I can go whistle.

An avenue I haven't yet tried is to ask if they have recorded 'phone conversations that they could call upon, if they did record the conversations and they still have them this would prove my case.

Anyone done anything like this before? How long are these recordings kept for and could an individual recording be traced back to a specific claim number/customer/'phone call?

I have with a credit card company, it was within 2 months of the original query I logged, it proved my case and I got a refund and compensation.

I don't know the statute on length of time for the calls to be retained but I see no reason why it would not be as long as other customer data retention.

On a role I had previously for a loan company we recorded and stored all phone calls for 7 years. Now with GDPR that might be considered too long.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

I believe that you can ask them for a Subject Access Request, which will mean the insurer needs to provide with all of your personal data, including (I think) any recorded messages. They are legally obliged to do this for free within 30 days.

However, under GDPR rules they may have opted to delete the recorded data if they cannot justify keeping it.

Craftsman
    Bit late now I know, but I tape all calls now when I talk to any companies on the phone when I am arranging a contract. Not a big deal as it is rare but gives me peace of mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Carl.1 View Post
    Bit late now I know, but I tape all calls now when I talk to any companies on the phone when I am arranging a contract. Not a big deal as it is rare but gives me peace of mind.
    Me too. I have Call Recorder installed on my phone.

My understanding, and I stand to be corrected, is that if the other party declare they are recording the call "for training and monitoring purposes" then you are also entitled to record the conversation without declaring it (and still have it admissible in court).

I think the "We may record this conversation for training purposes", is a get out too. We may, we may not. They are not specifically saying ""We will record this conversation for legal purposes".

Quote Originally Posted by catch21 View Post
    My understanding, and I stand to be corrected, is that if the other party declare they are recording the call "for training and monitoring purposes" then you are also entitled to record the conversation without declaring it (and still have it admissible in court).
    any recommendations for a call recorder for an iPhone?

You can record even without them declaring they are, as long as you are one of the parties, then it’s not classed as surveillance.

The issue then becomes whether the other party will allow you to present the recording as evidence against themselves. A lot will refuse to listen to it.
    Last edited by jegger; 18th June 2018 at 14:28.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Thom4711 View Post
    I believe that you can ask them for a Subject Access Request, which will mean the insurer needs to provide with all of your personal data, including (I think) any recorded messages. They are legally obliged to do this for free within 30 days.

However, under GDPR rules they may have opted to delete the recorded data if they cannot justify keeping it.
    Unless things have changed, they can make a charge but it is capped at £10

Master
    A lot of the time with insurance companies, the phone call is recorded and forms part of the contract as they ask you a bunch if questions (at least this is what they say) which they will refer back to if you are not telling the truth. Are you sure that it was not recorded for this purpose?

Quote Originally Posted by Motman View Post
    Unless things have changed, they can make a charge but it is capped at £10
    Yes, things have changed. A company mustn’t charge in almost all circumstances, but the ICO allow that “(where a) request is manifestly unfounded or excessive you may charge a “reasonable fee” for the administrative costs”. In this case the OP would not be charged.

Quote Originally Posted by catch21 View Post
    As a consumer, you can record any conversation you like regardless of if the other side is taping it or not.

Master
    I know someone who took Orange to court and though he had a good case until they provided transcripts of every conversation he had ever had with them along with copies of the recordings. His wife wasn't very pleased with some of the stuff that came out.

Oh, that's what it says. I did wonder what they were doing with all the trained porpoises.

I’ve asked for the recording to be listened to when I had a slight disagreement with I think it was Hastings insurance. They wanted to charge me 3 lots of admin charges which weren’t pointed out to me when I took out the insurance so I asked that the recordings be listened to. No idea if they did or didn’t but they eventually agreed with me and waived 2 of the charges.

Quote Originally Posted by CardShark View Post
    Long story short, I'm in dispute with my car insurance provider over something that they said they'd do/arrange for me. Now the time has come to fulfil their obligation they're saying that they have no notes to that effect and that, basically, I can go whistle.

An avenue I haven't yet tried is to ask if they have recorded 'phone conversations that they could call upon, if they did record the conversations and they still have them this would prove my case.

Anyone done anything like this before? How long are these recordings kept for and could an individual recording be traced back to a specific claim number/customer/'phone call?
    I had an instance that relates to this. My roof leaked and the lounge ceiling filled with water and eventually burst, doing thousands of pounds worth of damage. I phoned my insurers and they claimed I didn't have contents insurance - AT ALL.

I said I phoned them when I moved to change over my insurance to the new address, and I certainly would not have chosen to cancel contents insurance and only retained building insurance. They said they would have to pull the phone call (from 3 years back mind) from 'the archive' and check the conversation. They eventually got it, listened to it, and admitted they had made a mistake - their operative had said 'your contents cover is included in that price' to which I said 'great', which constituted a verbal contract, even though he had made a mistake.

They sent a loss adjuster round and got out of it completely all the same, but as a matter of course in their industry, to protect themselves mainly, record and retain all calls for just this reason.

Few years ago I had a dispute over a car insurance policy, can’t recall exactly but I made a complaint that they didn’t honour a part of the contract that I specifically asked about at time of purchase and the operator confirmed.
    When I asked to listen to the phone call, they said it couldn’t be done over the phone, they would get the supervisor to listen and get back to me, few hours later they phoned back and said I was wrong.
    I then asked them to email the conversation to me, they couldn’t do that, there was no way I could listen to it, period!
    What could I do, bugger all.

Quote Originally Posted by Neilw3030 View Post
    Few years ago I had a dispute over a car insurance policy, can’t recall exactly but I made a complaint that they didn’t honour a part of the contract that I specifically asked about at time of purchase and the operator confirmed.
    When I asked to listen to the phone call, they said it couldn’t be done over the phone, they would get the supervisor to listen and get back to me, few hours later they phoned back and said I was wrong.
    I then asked them to email the conversation to me, they couldn’t do that, there was no way I could listen to it, period!
    What could I do, bugger all.
    You could have told them to retain the recording as you were disputing the response, asked for the call log reference and raised an appeal with the Ombudsman. We had to do this with Lloyd’s, and the information we had asked for (did the fraudster actually answer the security questions correctly) was provided via the Ombudsman along with a warning that ‘just because the recording has details of the security protocols followed’ (the reason Lloyd’s gave for not disclosing to us) I can see no reason why Mrs C could not be told that the answers to her security questions (mother’s maiden name & city of birth) were not used by the Call Centre to authenticate the caller, instead other information was used’.

Thank you for the responses guys, it's good to hear that recorded conversations have been used to settle disputes - whichever way the final decision fell!

I'll be calling them back on Wednesday as I'll have the time then to spend however long is necessary to try to crack this. It's incredibly frustrating to be told they won't honour what they verbally told me on the 'phone (and I had it confirmed at least twice in two separate 'phone calls), it pretty much feels as if they're trying to pull a fast one.

Sorry Sir, computer says "no".

I had an unpleasant and frustrating telephone conversation once with an insurance 'client services' operative and which I ended with a request that a Manager telephone me. One did, I asked that he listen to the recorded conversation first and then call me back to discuss. A day later he called again, was profusely apologetic as to the way the conversation had gone and had arranged a £200 refund (£150 being the difference between the correct amount and what the CS advisor had incorrectly insisted it should be and a further £50 as a gesture of apology).

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Master
    Blog Entries
    It’s worked for me before though i had to wait a few weeks [fair enough I thought].

A supervisor listened to previous calls she agreed the agent had given me incorrect information as he was new to the job.
    I got an apology,my money back along with a good will gesture and he was re trained.

Craftsman
    Yes I had to ask for them to listen to a call when my renewal doubled. They said I’d given a new address but after checking they gave me the lower premium they offered.

Me too.

I had told the car insurance chap that I would be putting a new plate on the car after a few weeks.

They denied it all when I rang to do so and told me it’d be a £40 fee to swop plates.

I asked them to listen to the recording. “That’s cost £10 Sir .”

I agreed to pay the £10 only if I was wrong.

Got a call an hour later apologising and agreeing to swop the plate over for free.

So it does work - if you’re right.