closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Budgie in Garden

Budgie in Garden

We’ve had a budgie coming to our garden for past 4-5 days. I’ve bought some budgie food which it’s been eating. Today seen it making home in nest box, clearing out old debris.

Could probably trap it by bunging hole but could it survive in UK? Quite nice having it in garden!

Bung it on Sales Corner.

Master
    Bright colours of budgies mean will be predated by larger birds. If you can get it inside it’s chances of longevity will increase!

There is a colony of parakeets living in London. They are very vocal and I could hear them in early morning a couple of times last year in the gardens nearby - https://www.pets4homes.co.uk/pet-adv...n-parrots.html
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    Bright colours of budgies mean will be predated by larger birds. If you can get it inside it’s chances of longevity will increase!
    Yes, we have had sparrowhawks. What about winter temperatures?

There is also a colony of parakeets in Wellesley House school in Broadstairs, Kent.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Craftsman
    A lone budgie will not last until the winter.

I'm surprised no one has said yet 'shoot it, it's a pest'.
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Master
    Budgie in the garden you say.
    Are you a smuggler ?

Quote Originally Posted by seikopath View Post
    + .22

Quote Originally Posted by tempfort View Post
    + .22
    + 12 (gauge)

Or - it's a slow worm

Master

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    There is also a colony of parakeets in Wellesley House school in Broadstairs, Kent.
    Just in the last few weeks I've seen and heard a couple of them flying around near me in Essex. Last week three or four of them descended on my neighbours cherry tree and were making a right old racket while having a feast.

Re the budgie, if it were me I’d catch it in the box and either take it to a collector/breeder or look about on Facebook groups - someone may be missing a pet and I don’t rate it’s chances of a long life. Having said that, a budgie in the wild would still stand a better chance of survival than a straight talker on the Omega forum......

Master
    A few years ago, our neighbour's budgie escaped when they were cleaning the cage. They spent ages trying to entice it back into the house, and had to give up. Our cat woke up later in the day, and caught it in 2 minutes.

Budgies are not ready for the rigours of a British garden.

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by ptcoll View Post
    A few years ago, our neighbour's budgie escaped when they were cleaning the cage. They spent ages trying to entice it back into the house, and had to give up. Our cat woke up later in the day, and caught it in 2 minutes.

Budgies are not ready for the rigours of a British garden.

Pete
    Cats, yes.

Quote Originally Posted by VDG View Post
    There is a colony of parakeets living in London. They are very vocal and I could hear them in early morning a couple of times last year in the gardens nearby - https://www.pets4homes.co.uk/pet-adv...n-parrots.html
    Loads here in Richmond/Twickenham.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    I’m from Broadstairs originally, we often had them visit the garden over the last 15 years or so. There are also lots in Northdown Park, Cliftonville. They are quite hardy to our climate and fairly aggressive to smaller indigenous species.

Master
    Temperature should be ok for a budgie, my parents used to breed them and they lived outdoors in an aviary.

Quote Originally Posted by VDG View Post
    My garden backs onto Wimbledon Common and we get hundreds of parakeets in the garden.
    When they gather in the trees they're so noisy i keep a canned air horn in the garage to scare them off.

Quote Originally Posted by anz3001 View Post
    A lone budgie will not last until the winter.
    Do they need to form gangs to survive?

Quote Originally Posted by steptoe View Post
    My garden backs onto Wimbledon Common and we get hundreds of parakeets in the garden.
    When they gather in the trees they're so noisy i keep a canned air horn in the garage to scare them off.
    Which do the neighbours prefer – the chatter of parakeets or the blast of the air horn?

Tea for a sparrow hawk after a (short) life alone or the companionship of budgie prison in an enthusiast’s cage in a back garden. Hmmmm, tough choice for the budgie too.

Quote Originally Posted by catch21 View Post
    Tea for a sparrow hawk after a (short) life alone or the companionship of budgie prison in an enthusiast’s cage in a back garden. Hmmmm, tough choice for the budgie too.
    Almost a catch22, catch21
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Blog Entries
    I'd catch it and either keep it or rehome it.

ook

Adam faith

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard View Post
    Do they need to form gangs to survive?
    Sort of, as alluded to elsewhere in this thread, a breeding colony may get by but a lone budgie or cockatoo or macaw even, stands little chance.

The ring necks apparently escaped from a film studio (Lawrence of Arabia iirc)

Quote Originally Posted by steptoe View Post
    We have quite a few in the Royal Borough but I’ve never seen “hundreds” at any one time. They must prefer the more upmarket parts of London 😀

Master

Not quite a budgie

We caught this a few years ago in our garden
    I was out from washing the car when my wife came out and said there was a parrot in the garden- yeh right
    Saw this chap destroying the wooden bird feeder
    After about 1/2 I managed to catch him in a bucket and transfer him to a makeshift cage.
    After a couple of day of internet trawling and various parrot forum we managed to reunite him with his owner(not too far away)
    His ‘buddy’ a macaw had open the cockatoo’s cage and let him out
    The owner was over the moon- shame I got quite attached to him- he would only come to me
    A magnificent goffin cockatoo
    F5A6420D-7199-4355-8CA0-CB839E4F4DC7 by biglewie, on Flickr

Craftsman
    Parrotalert used to be the best lost and found register.

Someone caught a Rozella parakeet in their garden, and bought it to my wife's pet shop.
    We gave it a home for a few months, but it never stopped screaming and making a loud booming "HOO HOO" noise, so back to the shop it went.
    I think the original owner probably booted it out...

r.e. the budgie, I've seen the results of one being attacked by sparrows, not a pretty boy then.

Quote Originally Posted by draftsmann View Post
    We have quite a few in the Royal Borough but I’ve never seen “hundreds” at any one time. They must prefer the more upmarket parts of London 
    We sometimes see the huge bright green flock in Lewisham, it's always an astonishing sight.

There's a big flock of the green ring tails living in my old villiage on the outskirts of Slough, Berks. They were never there when i was growing up and seem to have appeared some time between me moving away in 2008 and moving back briefly in 2016

Is there anything more cruel that keeping a creature that can fly in a cage where it never can?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard View Post
    Is there anything more cruel that keeping a creature that can fly in a cage where it never can?
    To be honest, not much. Budgies fair best of all though, if I rememebr correctly, they are the only bird speciese considered domesticated.

I used to keep macaws, seeing what some of the larger species have to contend with is heartbraking on occassion. From hand rearing, solitary confinement, wing clipping, the list goes on.

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    Which do the neighbours prefer – the chatter of parakeets or the blast of the air horn?

Chatter :D ...You've obviously never heard a tree full of Parakeets.