closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Father’s Day surprise from my dad - vintage content

Father’s Day surprise from my dad - vintage content

I went to see my dad today who completely surprised me and seemed to forget that I was supposed to give him something!
    He asked if i still spent too much time and money on watches to which i replied yes.
    He then passed over 3 watches that were his fathers and one of his.
    This completely surprised me as he tends to wear one old watch or a selection of airport swatches.
    His father died when my dad was young and the watches were kept by my grandmother for years. She died last year and my dad found them and has now passed them on.
    I have steered clear of vintage watches before as I don’t know enough but could not be happier. Only had them for a few hours and I don’t know enough to take the backs off yet so cannot give much information on them.

So here are the watches - I know nothing about 3 of them and all are on hideous straps!
    1- a small 30mm Movado which was my grandfathers

A little small but seems to be working fine.
    2 my dads 21st watch - a quartz longines dating to about 1970.
    About 32mm and really slim. Not particularly my taste but will wear on occasion

Next up my favourites
    Both have lovely patina and slightly better sized.
    Another longines - feels like hand winding - no idea of date or anything else.
    Cannot wait to get a new strap for this as I think it is beautiful.

Finally a rather brutal automatic Universal Geneve- not currently running so will have to get sorted at some point- but great patina although some wear on the dial.
    Terrible strap at the moment but again cannot wait to get it working and on a decent strap

If anyone could point out where I may be able to find some information out about the watches and perhaps suggest some straps for them I would be really grateful. My current strap collection is all to big so will be shopping for new ones soon.

I don’t care if they are worth £2 or £2000 - the family link is priceless so will keep them and wear them.

Thanks in advance for any info or advice - can post more useless iPhone pictures if anyone is interested.

Pete
    Last edited by pjtj; 17th June 2018 at 22:17.

Hi, what a nice gift. Can’t help you much except to say that @Carlton-Browne is a Universal Geneve expert and may have some information.

The Longines look lovely. If I may say some pictures that are more in focus, and also show the case backs, may help people get a better idea, especially if you are confident enough to take the case backs off and show the movements without taking any chances.