closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Think I’m Done

Think I’m Done

Think i’m done.

There was a time when every spare moment was filled with thoughts of watches; which one to wear that day, what others were wearing, what shiny new thing was up on SC.

I read, i studied, I learned. I followed well informed discussions on WT and plenty of biased and prejudiced ones too.

And through trial an error I found my way, my own style, my own sweet spot. I bought watches to please me, not others. And I liked diversity. An Azimuth Mr Roboto and a Corum Bubble Dive Bomber have both featured in my collection over the years.

I recognised that I could appreciate certain brands, but have no desire to own one, PP being a prime example - I’m just not a dressy kind of guy.

And eventually I reached a point where I felt pretty satisfied. Very little on the Friday thread interested me and I scoured SC for non related watch sales.

So apart from a couple of wedding watches 18 months ago (a blue Pelagos for me, a black ceramic Rado for the wife) I’ve barely looked in. My collection has remained static and I’ve been quite happy with the rotation options available.

And that brings me to today. A devastating family bereavement 3 months ago has had me reevaluating what I want out of life. And one of the things that has come to the fore is a motorbike (again). I’ve found refuge in riding and a serene peace not possible when left with my own thoughts.

However, I’ve also realised that straddling oneself with debt is a young mans game, so I need to raise funds from within.

Cull is far too big a word, but I’ve identified two watches that for different reasons, simply don’t get worn anymore.

The first is my Mont Blanc Timewalker bought as my dress watch. Arguably it’s too big and fussy to technically be a dress watch, but it did for me. I rarely attend events that warrant such a watch though and in the future, I’ll simply wear my 5513.

The second is my Hublot Big Bang. A cracking watch, but given the choice of that, my Pam 233 and my IWC Big Pilot, I tend to rotate between the latter two.

Arguably I could have sold these some time ago as they’ve just been sat in the watch box, but as there was no pressure to do so it felt good knowing they were there and I could still reach for them if I wanted.

And funnily enough, a watch I rarely wore (my Bell & Ross BR03 Type Aviation) has become my de facto go-to watch over the past 3 months. Strange how priorities change.

So there you have it, after 10 years I think I’ve probably reached that point where I’m content. I still like my watches though, so I’ve no intention to go in for that one watch malarkey.

Actually, my watch collection has recently increased by one, my most valuable watch of all, priceless in fact, my late son’s G-Shock.

Life can be a sh!t.

a post

A post that perhaps took some writing.

My deepest condolences to you and may you find peace be it in the saddle or otherwise.

Sorry to be reading this, I can't imagine what you're going through.
    F.T.F.A.

Darren, gutted for your loss.

It’s been 12 years since I went through similar pain although my daughter was just a baby. It does get better.

Sending you a massive man hug mate.

The watch related bits of the story was a great little read. The last bit hurt. I 1 year olds and cannot imagine losing them.
    I am very sorry for your loss.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

After reading this Just before I put my little ones down your last paragraph has played over and over in my head.

So sorry for your loss.

Master
    Darren so sorry to hear of your loss. My deepest and most sincere condolences and I hope you get the bike and the release it brings.

Banned
    My thoughts are with you.
    Watches are just man jewellery, nothing more.

Master
    Blog Entries
    So sorry to read this - my sincere condolences Darren.

Well that certainly puts things in perspective.

That G-Shock will be treasured, I’m sure.

All the best.

So sorry to hear of your loss mate, family means everything, everything else is just fluff.. Condolences to you and your family

So sorry to learn of your loss, friend.

As already said, this certainly puts life into perspective.
    As a biker of over thirty years I certainly understand your feelings for the peace and freedom that biking provides, especially when compared to driving a car.
    As a father of three, forgive me, but i don't ever want to know your feelings regarding your son. You have my complete and utter condolences.

I am so so sorry to hear of your loss, I can’t begin to imagine how you’ve coped let alone found the strength to move forward. Watches just don’t seem important. All the best to you and your family.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Blog Entries
    Darren. Really so sorry. Words don’t count for much - but hope you do hang around here and maybe get to a GTG. Time is a healer - it is honestly. Hang tough.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I'm so sorry for your loss Darren. Its unimaginable and I hope that riding brings you peace and pleasure x

Craftsman
    Watches mean very little and children everything. Yet for us, I guess the two are intrinsically linked, the passage of time is marked by the memories they bring us and no finer memorial can there be than a measurer of time that's linked to family.

My two favourite pieces are considered neither mine although I wear them. My father's 21st birthday present to myself and my own to my daughter.

A brave post and I'm so sorry for your loss. Just horrible.

I wish you all the best for the future and my heartfelt condolences to your family.

Speechless.

I’m just so sorry for your loss mate.

I hope you manage to find some comfort wherever possible. It took some steel to write that post on this of all days!

All the best to you all.

My sincerest condolences on your loss.

Sorry for your loss Darren; I can’t begin to imagine what you must be going through.

If your rides bring you into Sussex, let me know and I’ll fire up the old GPz!

Quote Originally Posted by Ellietwed View Post
    So sorry to hear of your loss mate, family means everything, everything else is just fluff.. Condolences to you and your family
    This. Very sorry about your loss. Treasure that G-shock

My deepest condolences Darren. This the first time I've passed the iPad to my wife to read a post. On Father's Day, and having put our son to bed earlier this evening, your post has affected us both beyond words. Peace to you wherever you may find it.

Craftsman
    Sincere condolences to all and ride safe

Thanks everyone.

One thing I withheld, but feel I should mention - he took his own life.

He was only 19.

Mental health is a cruel, cruel beast.

Be alert, be kind.

Master
    My deepest condolences Darren. I came to fatherhood late in life at 48 and now have 3 little ones. I cannot even begin to imagine your grief at your loss, my eyes fill up even thinking of it.
    I hope that you can find some escape and relief on the open road.
    Rob

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I don’t know you mate but your post puts a lot into perspective with family and material goods...
    As a father I can’t even imagine what you and your family are going through and am sorry for your loss...

A very brave post Darren, I can’t even imagine what you and your family have been through. I hope you can find and enjoy peace wherever and whenever you can.

This shouldn't happen to anybody! I'm so very sorry to hear about your loss. Get that bike, do the journey.

Blog Entries
    I respect you Darren . I have sorrow for your loss but admire your strength to post here and say some words . That’s courage . Your right mental health is no joke . It’ is a cruel beast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brave post Darren.

Best wishes on your journey.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Craftsman
    Hi Darren, I’m glad you have found something that gives you peace and allows you to clear your head and be a get away. Completely different but when I lost my dad I would produce music for hours on end. It was my get away, made everything go away and at that point in time it was needed and actually helped pull me through it.

Absolutely devastated for you! As a father myself, I could not even imagine what you and your family have gone/going through. Condolences you and your family through this difficult time.

All the best

James

Master
    A very sad and brave post, I hope you find peace and solace with your motorcycle riding.

Master
    Very sorry for your loss, my thoughts are with you.

Very sorry and moved to read your post, especially today. Tears in my eyes my friend. Stay strong.

Deepest condolences, and thank you for sharing. Mental health, depression and struggle need to stay in our consciousness and you’ve done a great deed by going through the pain of speaking about your loss.
    Love and best wishes from a fellow biker.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Respect.

Treasure all you have and that G.

I’m broken reading this as to lose my son would be my end too. He’s my best friend so I can’t begin to imagine your pain Darren.

Keep safe and well buddy. And if that trusty steed takes you up here, the kettles always on and we can ride out together. It’d be a privilege!

Jim

Craftsman
    A very brave post Darren on such a special day, life can be very cruel sometimes. Wear his G-shock with the pride it deserves. Stay strong ride safe.

My sons watch has a value money just can't buy

David

So, so sorry to hear this.

Deepest condolences. That is just terrible to hear. Can’t imagine your pain. Hope you can find solace and peace with the biking.

My sincere condolences, too. I was shocked by the end to your first post, and as a father to two young sons, it really resonated with me. I hope you and your family can find the strength and love in one another to gain, in good time, some peace, and cherish the memories of the times where you saw your son smiling and happy.

Super brave post, can’t even begin to imagine what you’ve been through.get yourself a lovely bike I hope it brings you some happiness.
    Peace ✌️

Master
    Darren,

I'm so very, very sorry, to read of your loss.

Blog Entries
    On this early morning, this brings tears to my eyes. Knowing that I cannot imagine your loss or pain. I am speechless and cannot say anything else than my deepest condolences.

Menno

Craftsman
    My deepest condolences.

May I express my sincere sympathy to you and your family. Words cannot really express what I'm sure many here would want to communicate to you.
    J

Sent from my P01M using Tapatalk

Master
    Sorry for your loss Darren, I just can't even imagine how sad you must be feeling right now, stay strong mate.

Sent from my SM-A320FL using TZ-UK mobile app

Nothing more to say that others have not already said.
    I hope you get your bike and some solace on the open road.
    All the best
    Mike

Master
    My deepest condolences to you and your family.

Being a biker myself I can totally understand the need for wanting to find some solace in the open road. I hope you find what you need out there. Be safe :-)