closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Pogue 1977 - for your delectation.

Master
    Blog Entries

Pogue 1977 - for your delectation.

Today I met with a good friend from this parish, Sean (seabiscuit) for a catch up.

He’d asked me to bring along my completely original Seiko Pogue of 1977 vintage as he’d heard me comment on it. This is a timepiece I’ve owned since new when I purchased it as a teenager on the ferry from France following me playing in a youths football tour. I still have the original magazine advert and, somewhere, the original box and papers. A real original piece!

Sean was very pleased to see it in the flesh and the extreme accuracy of hands and chrono movement. Particularly pleasing were his remarks on the perfect order of the bezels both external and internal and the smooth rotational operation. He encouraged me to (try and) post some pics to share with fellow TZers. So they pics are below in the Dropbox link.

For the record, I had this serviced, but not polished, by Duncan (cannop) who I can’t praise enough. He was very complimentary as to the Pogue’s overall condition and originality, including the bracelet. He also said the internal workings were in very good nick for a 41 year old watch.

So here you are. Enjoy if Pogues are your thing. I can’t believe how much these are being sold for - I paid £39.99! Yes seriously. Mind you that was a fortune for me back then when football boots were my desires!

All the best!

Jim

Here’s a link to “Pogue 1977” in my Dropbox:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/01y291y4w...xryAKPpja?dl=0

PS a couple of pics of my budget collection.

Terrific. These are nice watches and I’m luck enough to own the blue and gold dial (although they rarely get worn). Yours looks so nice, and it’s fantastic to have had it for such a long time.

I noticed the dial has some marks - my watch has very similar marks, and I’ve seen it on others. Do you happen to know if this is normal degradation of the paint, or has the crystal of yours ever been damaged, for example? I’ve always been curious what caused the marks on my watch, and one suggestion has been the crystal may have been damaged at some point.

Sorry to derail!

Master
    It’s weird to think these were available to buy from Littlewoods catalogues when I was a lad. You don’t forget the colour scheme of gold dial and red and blue bezel. Jim’s example is in exceptional condition and certainly doesn’t look forty plus years old.

Last July I saw a couple for sale in a jewellers in Durham city together with some other vintage Seikos and Citizen Watches.

Quote Originally Posted by seabiscuit View Post
    Last July I saw a couple for sale in a jewellers in Durham city together with some other vintage Seikos and Citizen Watches.
    Out of curiosity Sean, what kind of money were they going for?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Good question. In 1980 it started to lose time and I put it in to a jewellers shop in St Andrew Square, Edinburgh - Sladden’s or Slavens but he didn’t get it right. These marks have been there ever since and are obviously not debris or similar as they’ve remained there and I’m satisfied Duncan would’ve removed them if he could’ve. He never remarked either.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Thom4711 View Post
    Terrific. These are nice watches and I’m luck enough to own the blue and gold dial (although they rarely get worn). Yours looks so nice, and it’s fantastic to have had it for such a long time.

I noticed the dial has some marks - my watch has very similar marks, and I’ve seen it on others. Do you happen to know if this is normal degradation of the paint, or has the crystal of yours ever been damaged, for example? I’ve always been curious what caused the marks on my watch, and one suggestion has been the crystal may have been damaged at some point.

Sorry to derail!
    Last edited by Jimmcb; 17th June 2018 at 19:32.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewcregan View Post
    Out of curiosity Sean, what kind of money were they going for?
    A bit more than Jim paid, I suppose. You could even buy them over a few months. Now good examples are listed on EBay for £700 plus.

Master
    Design classic.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries

Talking

£1700 did you say!!!!!!!!!

A bit more than Jim paid, I suppose. You could even buy them over a few months. Now good examples are listed on EBay for £700 plus.

Master
    Wow!! I’d love one of these. 1977 is my birth year too.

I am like well jel!

I’ve had a soft spot for these for some time now... great to see an original with all that history tied to one owner. Thanks for sharing

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master

Nice.

I’ve serviced quite a few now but had an exceptional one the other day, dial was perfect and the inner bezel totally un-faded. It’s quite unusual for me to see one with a perfect dial, I think some people must lever the hands off without any protection! God knows what goes through their minds.

I’ve got one for myself that’s pretty nice, looking forward to servicing it.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Craizeehair View Post
    I’ve had a soft spot for these for some time now... great to see an original with all that history tied to one owner. Thanks for sharing

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Thanks CH.

They are very comfortable and just look different. Great kit

Jim

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Deeez Nuuutz View Post
    Wow!! I’d love one of these. 1977 is my birth year too.

I am like well jel!
    Rofl

I feel old now.

Jim

Just lovely. I love 1970's Seikos, design and quality for little money.

It’s weird to think these were available to buy from Littlewoods catalogues when I was a lad. You don’t forget the colour scheme of gold dial and red and blue bezel.
    I remember pestering my Mom, to get me one from her Kay's catalogue, back in the 70's at around 50p a week.

Sadly, I never kept it, but it was the watch that launched me on this crazy and costly passion of ours.

About 5 years ago, I had the urge to get one for sentimental reasons, and foolishly bought one of Ebay. It was a load of c!!p.

So I took to doing more research and joined the Seiko and Citizen forum. Got talking to a member in the USA, who sold me one of his.
    A 1969/70 with the wording Water 70M Proof.
    I had it serviced and though, I don't wear it very often, it will stay with me.

Hi Jim,

Great story! Thanks for sharing. Always nice to hear that people still have things from some time ago :)

The photos are great. Fantastic to see an all original piece. It certainly gives anyone looking to get one something to refer to.

I bought a Pogue at the end of 2014. I took a punt and believed the ad on ebay. Checking yours against mine, i'm certainly convinced of its originality. I've spent hours pouring over various guides and sites, however having a TZer put up their photos always helps my peace of mind.

Cheers!

And, just because they're lovely in the sun....

Great post, I recently got my hands on one, all is original apart from the sub dial hand which must of been changed at some point but it’s never been polished!IMG_0261.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Blog Entries
    How very kind Henry. Thank you.

Enjoy yours. I’m tempted by all the chatter now running here just to maybe start wearing mine!!!!

Sacre bleu

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by henryviii View Post
    Hi Jim,

Great story! Thanks for sharing. Always nice to hear that people still have things from some time ago :)

The photos are great. Fantastic to see an all original piece. It certainly gives anyone looking to get one something to refer to.

I bought a Pogue at the end of 2014. I took a punt and believed the ad on ebay. Checking yours against mine, i'm certainly convinced of its originality. I've spent hours pouring over various guides and sites, however having a TZer put up their photos always helps my peace of mind.

Cheers!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Well done JTB! Hope you like it and enjoy it. They’re undoubtedly a conversation starter. A babe/hunk magnet as my USA buddy would say LOL

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by JamieTheBarber View Post
    Great post, I recently got my hands on one, all is original apart from the sub dial hand which must of been changed at some point but it’s never been polished!IMG_0261.JPG

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmcb View Post
    How very kind Henry. Thank you.

Enjoy yours. I’m tempted by all the chatter now running here just to maybe start wearing mine!!!!

Sacre bleu

Jim
    :)

You can't go wrong with it, I say!
    Enjoy wearing it next time you put it on. It's hard not to, really.

They are certainly unique looking with that gold dial.

Are the prices on ebay; £500 to £800 it seems, the peak that they fetch?
    I do want to buy one but wonder what the trend is for these ie are they still rising in price etc

PS dont you just love an ebay auction with "rare" in the description when there are another dozens examples on ebay at the same time !

If anyone has a spare bracelet for one I would love to hear from you! Got the watch, no bracelet, I could get a aftermarket one I guess but prefer original.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JamieTheBarber View Post

Picture isn’t clear, do you have a decent pic of the sub dial hand?

It ‘may’ be original still as it looks to me like it’s the squared off hand rather than the teardrop? (But I can’t really see from that pic)

These did come with different sub dial hands & most people assume they have been changed. This has even been found on a couple of Seiko adverts for the watches with them wearing a square sub dial hand. In fact I even have one here with the other sub dial hand from someone, the sub and sweep hands are perfectly matched faded too.