closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Urgent-ish ! Corrupt file on laptop. Any Mac experts on here ?

Master

Urgent-ish ! Corrupt file on laptop. Any Mac experts on here ?

Asking for my daughter who has spent two days on a project and this message has suddenly popped up. She now can't open the file she needs and her work seems to have gone !

I'm not a Mac person, so if any experts on here with some guidance as to what to try next, very grateful indeed !

Urgent-ish ! Corrupt file on laptop. Any Mac experts on here ?

I can only see the last picture so take what I say with a pinch of salt.
    1) she’s trying to open the autosaved file. She must have another saved under a proper name (not ”17”)
    2) did she try to move the file 17, like putting it on a usb key when PowerPoint was closed?

If not, can you get her to tell you what she did since she last work on the file?
    Also, she needs to be careful not to continue working on that Mac for the moment as any new work saved could erase the file that will possibly need recovering.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

That looks like a temporary file, she should have file 17 somewhere, search for 17, but, be prepared to find it has lost changes made as she hadn’t saved it (hence the auto saved part) before closing PowerPoint.

R

It will be still there, somewhere.

Have a looking activity in finder and files from today, might not be everything but up to last save.

Good luck.

Computers - grrrr

As pastrana72 said.

Finder -> Search and search for *.ppxt

Set the view to List and Arrange by date, you might see the files.

This might help :-

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...4-a06f567399e1
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Nogbad The Bad; 17th June 2018 at 16:48.

If she thinks she has deleted it I have had good luck with Ease US you can run it and only pay the licence fee to recover files so can see what it finds first.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

As others have said, search for the file name while in Finder and arrange by date. It will be there somewhere but she might have to redo some work from the last time she saved.

It's very rare that a Mac loses/corrupts files randomly – it will more likely be because she closed the file or quit PPT while it was running an autosave.

Good luck

Craftsman

I’m no expert

But have had Macs for sometime and know my way around their systems. You’ve had some pretty good advice so far but one thing you can do is install an app called teamviewer, it’s a remote access app that allows someone you trust to take control of your machine from their computer thereby potentially helping you out without the need to be in the same location.

Have you had a look in time machine to see when the latest available back up is?

else it’s not something as simple as her accidentally logging on with the wrong (or a different) user profile?

Master
    Really big thank you to all who have responded.

No luck recovering anything I'm afraid. Laptop is freezing all the time, so back into John Lewis for a repair and once-over !

Again, thanks to everyone for the help.

Quote Originally Posted by Glitterati View Post
    Really big thank you to all who have responded.

No luck recovering anything I'm afraid. Laptop is freezing all the time, so back into John Lewis for a repair and once-over !

Again, thanks to everyone for the help.
    Take it too a Apple store, it does not matter it is from John Lewis, you will get more help.