closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Seamaster or Speedmaster

Seamaster or Speedmaster

Hi all,

Thanks for suggestions in advance.

I am keen on an seamaster aquaterra with a white dial blue hands and titanium case.

This would be my first foray into Omega.

I also like the look of the speedmaster moon watches and the history that goes along the line. Though I don’t have a direct day to day use for the chronograph.

Just need something under 40mm that can go both business and casual.

Should I go with the seamaster or speedmaster as my first omega?

Kind regards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by alpharulez View Post
    Hi all,

I am keen on an seamaster aquaterra with a white dial blue hands and titanium case.

I also like the look of the speedmaster moon watches and the history that goes along the line. Though I don’t have a direct day to day use for the chronograph.

Kind regards.

Or

Master
    Both are formal and casual. Get the one you like. Anyone else's opinion should be irrelevant

I would say go try both on, when you wear them you will know which you prefer. The Speedmaster pro, the moon watch is bigger than 40mm, but it is sublime. The curve and texture of the hesalite is not to be underestimated, it gives the watch real character and warmth.
    J

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

Master
    Moon watch is 42mm, but neither are that hard to come by, so go try them on and see which you prefer. Some people use their chronographs - many don’t and just like the way they look

Blog Entries
    Out of those two I prefer the Aquaterra. I prefer the speedy pro which is a bit over 40mm. I just feel the version of the Speedmaster you pictured is a little underwhelming in my opinion.

I just tried the GMT version of that aquaterra and it looked superb. The one you are looking at in Ti is cool - amazing links considering they are also Ti

Neither of those are forum favourites but don’t let that put you off.

martyn

I have to echo the previous posts, drop into a local AD or boutique and try them both on. I have one of both and must say the moonwatch is a total strap whore. It looks great on a bracelet, nato or brown leather. There are plenty of picture on the forum to whet your appetite for this forum favourite, and it is a favourite for a reason.

I've tried a few.

The Aqua Terra 'skyfall' had a lovely dial but it was too thick and I could never get a good fit on the bracelet because it had no micro adjust in the clasp.

The Seamaster 300 master coaxial had a better bracelet but was overall too big and shiny.

Re: Speedmasters, I've tried the standard Moonwatch (too big for me) and the First Omega in Space (still a bit big and I thought that the dial was quite bland TBH).

The best of the bunch IMHO is the Speedmaster 60th anniversary edition. Great size at 38.5mm, great bracelet with the micro adjust clasp, great looking dial with broad arrow hour and minute hands, alpha chrono hands and applied vintage logo.

(NB This has nothing whatsover to do with my recent sales post )
    Last edited by Rocket Man; 16th June 2018 at 22:00.

Seamaster or Speedmaster

Quote Originally Posted by hafle View Post
    Both are formal and casual. Get the one you like. Anyone else's opinion should be irrelevant
    +1

Couple of things I would say tho aside from you having no need for a Chrono (plenty of us don’t but still like the aesthetic), is that the aqua terra is automatic and the speedy is manual wind. Dunno if that would be a factor but the speedy reduced is 39(?)mm I think and it’s automatic which might be an option for you.
    Last edited by RustyBin5; 16th June 2018 at 22:01.

Thank you for the responses. I have slimmer wrists than usual and 39/40 would be best.

I will have a look at the anniversary ones. Like the vintage colours on the hour markers.

The aqua terra in titanium has a certain appeal (especially the one in the blue strap).

Decisions, decisions, decisions...

🧐

Master
    I tried a speedmaster on for the first time today. I kinda liked it !

Master
    There’s something about Aqua Terra’s that I just find kind of ‘meh’.

I’d go for a Speedmaster for sure. The Professional really doesn’t wear like a 42mm but if you really need to go <40mm then the first omega in space is still a good choice but if you can manage it I’d always go for the Professional.

I have slimmer wrists than usual and 39/40 would be best.
    Slim wrists don’t necessarily mean that larger diameter watches don’t sit well, as there are infinite cross-sectional profiles. My skinny wrists are flatter than a witches tit so I feel quite at home with watches as large as 44mm.
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Craftsman
    I have a speedmaster and really like it (but I don’t love it). One thing that annoys me is the waterproof rating - I’d like to take it on holiday but I don’t want to have to leave it in a hotel room or take it off every time I go for a swim. So out of those two I’d actually lean towards the Seamaster.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Journeyman
    In terms of a complete package....this one nearly does it all:-

mid-sports to mid-dressy
    Waterproof to 150m iirc
    Chronograph
    Date
    GMT
    Chronometer
    No Tachy

Craftsman
    Don’t underestimate your possible use of a chrono. I use mine every day to time my daily walk. Then there's the timing of boiling eggs, pan-frying scallops, a snail crossing a patio stone..........

Master
    Have you considered a Seamaster 2254? 40mm, tough, elegant, reliable & goes with everything.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post
    +1

Couple of things I would say tho aside from you having no need for a Chrono (plenty of us don’t but still like the aesthetic), is that the aqua terra is automatic and the speedy is manual wind. Dunno if that would be a factor but the speedy reduced is 39(?)mm I think and it’s automatic which might be an option for you.
    Agree with this. I initially thought I'd be Ok with the manual wind on the Speedmaster but eventually ended up hating it (someone people love it, which is fair enough).

Bear that in mind when deciding. Aqua Terra also has a date window and is probably the more dressy of the two.

Best thing is to go and try them both on.

One of the most disappointing watches I have owned was the Speedmaster, I wanted one for years and I just didn't gel with it at all

Its all very personal of course but the manual wind aspect was not enjoyable due to the daily battle with pulling the crown and the uncomfortable/awkward winding

Looked nice enough but the bracelet had little adjustment and all in all too many issues for me to love it

I think that most of the disappointment was because of the hype

Quote Originally Posted by Guycord View Post

mid-sports to mid-dressy
    Waterproof to 150m iirc
    Chronograph
    Date
    GMT
    Chronometer
    No Tachy

Is that the COSC or METAS model? That blue dial is striking...

Quote Originally Posted by Motman View Post
    Don’t underestimate your possible use of a chrono. I use mine every day to time my daily walk. Then there's the timing of boiling eggs, pan-frying scallops, a snail crossing a patio stone..........

Quote Originally Posted by Montybaber View Post
    One of the most disappointing watches I have owned was the Speedmaster, I wanted one for years and I just didn't gel with it at all

Its all very personal of course but the manual wind aspect was not enjoyable due to the daily battle with pulling the crown and the uncomfortable/awkward winding

Looked nice enough but the bracelet had little adjustment and all in all too many issues for me to love it

I think they look gorgeous on photos but more bland in real life, I think that's the case with lot of watches, you see lot of amazing photos and then you handle one and you are like "that's it?"

Quote Originally Posted by Montybaber View Post

Thanks for your opinions. The history behind the lineup and variety of it is intriguing for me. I saw the brochure with the grey side of the moon... looked awesome except for the 44.5mm size!

A fellow forum member shared one of their speedy on sale currently with the faux vintage patina.

Warming up to the ideas shared. Plan to go to the boutique in London next week to get some wrist time.

Having had experience of owning a few manual winds (IWC/Baume Mercier), I get the hassle of keeping it wound but also appreciate the ‘routine’... of course there were many days where I forgot to :-)

Quote Originally Posted by RajLondon View Post
    Agree with this. I initially thought I'd be Ok with the manual wind on the Speedmaster but eventually ended up hating it (someone people love it, which is fair enough).

Bear that in mind when deciding. Aqua Terra also has a date window and is probably the more dressy of the two.

Best thing is to go and try them both on.
    Yes I like that I could swap to their blue strap and the AT transforms between causal and formal. And the white dial is one of the best I have seen.

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    Out of those two I prefer the Aquaterra. I prefer the speedy pro which is a bit over 40mm. I just feel the version of the Speedmaster you pictured is a little underwhelming in my opinion.

I just tried the GMT version of that aquaterra and it looked superb. The one you are looking at in Ti is cool - amazing links considering they are also Ti

Neither of those are forum favourites but don’t let that put you off.

martyn
    Thanks Martyn. When I looked at the brochure, this moon watch seemed to fly well under the radar and has that classic appeal to it without seeming to scream moonwatch... if that makes sense :-) that’s why I shortlisted it. (And the size/price).

mid-sports to mid-dressy
    Waterproof to 150m iirc
    Chronograph
    Date
    GMT
    Chronometer
    No Tachy

Model ref number please.

Quote Originally Posted by Exiztence View Post
    I think they look gorgeous on photos but more bland in real life, I think that's the case with lot of watches, you see lot of amazing photos and then you handle one and you are like "that's it?"
    I will know next week I suppose!

I would go with the speedy reduced since it has the chronograph and self winding automatic.

Unless you really need the date.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Man View Post
    I've tried a few.

The Aqua Terra 'skyfall' had a lovely dial but it was too thick and I could never get a good fit on the bracelet because it had no micro adjust in the clasp.

The Seamaster 300 master coaxial had a better bracelet but was overall too big and shiny.

Re: Speedmasters, I've tried the standard Moonwatch (too big for me) and the First Omega in Space (still a bit big and I thought that the dial was quite bland TBH).

The best of the bunch IMHO is the Speedmaster 60th anniversary edition. Great size at 38.5mm, great bracelet with the micro adjust clasp, great looking dial with broad arrow hour and minute hands, alpha chrono hands and applied vintage logo.

Or in fact the Seamaster 60th, which would give a kind of cross between the two current options.
    Last edited by learningtofly; 17th June 2018 at 14:16.

Journeyman
    Model ref number please.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    Slim wrists don’t necessarily mean that larger diameter watches don’t sit well, as there are infinite cross-sectional profiles. My skinny wrists are flatter than a witches tit so I feel quite at home with watches as large as 44mm.
    Ditto

Apprentice
    Hi all,

Kind regards.

Personally,I would go for the Speedy. My first “ decent” watch was a Seamaster Planet Ocean, I’ve since added a Yachtmaster and Submariner to my collection but I still lust after the Moonwatch. It is about personal taste though, get whatever feels right.
    Last edited by Jamiewood; 17th June 2018 at 17:40.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Man View Post
    I've tried a few.

I saw one of the 60th anniversary on the wrist on Friday and have to agree. Really a stunning watch.

I find the Speedmaster Moon looks better in reality than in photos. The appeal is also that it is a classic watch and which has not changed greatly over the years. It almost seems underpriced in comparison to the rest of the Omega range.

Master
    I’d go into WOS or an Omega boutique and try both on. The 2nd hand residue of a Speedmaster approaches that of a Rolex Sub (proportionate to original rrp) so it’s a safe watch to buy without a doubt .
    If I was going to buy a first Speedmaster it would be the Moonwatch . However after many years of being digged against on watch sites the Speedmaster reduced is becoming increasingly popular. Seems to hold a second hand value of around £1500 whereas Speedmaster manuals made the leap to £2k or thereabouts .
    My very first Omega was a Seamaster and that’s what got me hooked. A 2254.50 in good nick will be under 2k. Lume like a torch and after a pressure test absolutely fine for swimming / diving etc. Personally I’d get the Seamaster Diver models first before buying the Aqua buts it’s all just opinion

Journeyman
    Speedy Pro every time - an absolute classic with a great back story.

And as a poster before said, great vfm considering.

Speedmaster Pro. One of a handful of watches that I would call a true classic with heritage and importance.

I will be visiting the boutique tomorrow. So hopefully will have made my mind up post! Cheers everyone.

I own both. I bought the moonwatch new last year and also have the seamaster 2254.

I love them both and they are both keepers for sure.

For me the moonwatch is a classic but for me it’s the versatility looks great leather, NATO’s or the bracelet. For me though I never got on with the supplied bracelet it just doesn’t taper enough at all. I have 7” wrists and this is a great size for me.

The 2254 seems to get more wrist time it’s one of my most worn watches. It gets more time and on wrist due to the WR for me and I am quite active and I know the seamaster will take anything. I find myself babying the moonwatch more. Though that is probably just me.

Out of the 2 I own if I could only have one the 2254 would stay.
    If I had to choose the new seamaster or the moonwatch it would a lot harder choice as I really do prefer the 2254 against the new seamaster.

Quick update. Went into the London boutique to try a few. Pics below.

Black black!

Am not yet there from a decision standpoint through...! Sigh

Quick update. Went into the London boutique to try a few.
    Oh I like that.
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    Oh I like that.
    Yes and a reasonable price too. Was offered a free service come 4 years from now.

I've always liked the idea of the speedy but underwhelming on the wrist.
    Seamaster I've owned and loved and flipped.
    Take your own journey.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I tried a Speedmaster moonwatch on in Goldsmiths. I was impressed with the bracelet, but the Watch itself was underwhelming, if anything a bit boring. I did eventually buy an Ed White, probably caught up in the history etc, but again after a weeks on the wrist it went for the same reason. I even tried on one of the 'Dark Side' watches, but the Ceramic case just felt too light. I have even owned an Automatic Reduced, but I eventually settled on the Speedmaster Co-axial Moonphase.

Never been a fan of the modern Seamasters, but like the 60s SM300 165:024 and even the modern rebuilds (think Watchco). I have had two of those and they are great watches.

If you’ve now tried them and none jumped out as ‘the one’ then maybe you should be
    looking at other options.

Banned

Seamaster or Speedmaster

B159CD0C-6AB7-4AAC-8561-40EC369264C5.jpg

Mine says hi ,owned this for a week now and in love

Shocking pic ! Still haven’t worked out how to take a good pic on here

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by charlies View Post

Take a pic. Upload it to Imgur and then post the link here.

Quote Originally Posted by charlies View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Deeez Nuuutz View Post
    Take a pic. Upload it to Imgur and then post the link here.
    Our use Tapatalk on the mobile and it takes care of it all for you from the app!